Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 7

post #91 of 555
Thread Starter 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman View Post

Very interesting, thanks for your review.

 

However, I'm personally leery about buying from PD because of the horrendous lack of support I got from them last year... It took them almost two months to repair a grounding issue that later resurfaced, and then they never gave me back the upgraded buffers I had originally bought when they finally shipped it back to me (I was a senior citizen by that point). James was always amicable though.

I really can't speak to that because I've not had to deal with any return/repair issues for any of my PD amps.

 

Cheers!

-HK sends
 

post #92 of 555

Never got any reply from PD about my inquiry, so pull the trigger last night with the Shadow.  Time starts now for the sleepless nights

post #93 of 555
Thread Starter 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by basman View Post

Never got any reply from PD about my inquiry, so pull the trigger last night with the Shadow.  Time starts now for the sleepless nights

I think you'll be happy with the Shadow.  I really like the Mustang.

 

Cheers!

-HK sends
 

post #94 of 555

Great review HK_sends!

 

I'm having a very hard time trying to decide on my new amp, but I've been able to narrow it down to the RSA P-51 or the XM6.

 

The 1-year warranty from Practical Devices was bothering me so I e-mailed them to ask if they planned on upping their warranty to be more competitive in the market place (where Meier, RSA, HeadStage, HeadAmp and HeadRoom are between 2 to 3 years).

 

Today I received a reply from James with PD saying that they will be going to a 3-year warranty soon!!  I don't know if the extended warranty period will cover the XM4 & XM5, but it will certainly cover the XM6.  James said they will be updating the website soon to reflect this change.

 

Kudos to Practical Devices!

post #95 of 555
Thread Starter 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulSyde View Post

Great review HK_sends!

 

I'm having a very hard time trying to decide on my new amp, but I've been able to narrow it down to the RSA P-51 or the XM6.

 

The 1-year warranty from Practical Devices was bothering me so I e-mailed them to ask if they planned on upping their warranty to be more competitive in the market place (where Meier, RSA, HeadStage, HeadAmp and HeadRoom are between 2 to 3 years).

 

Today I received a reply from James with PD saying that they will be going to a 3-year warranty soon!!  I don't know if the extended warranty period will cover the XM4 & XM5, but it will certainly cover the XM6.  James said they will be updating the website soon to reflect this change.

 

Kudos to Practical Devices!

Hey, that's cool!   James didn't mention it to me, but that would be a great selling point.  I guess the biggest question between the XM6 and the Mustang is, do you need DAC functionality?  If so, PD is the way.  If not...well...you can customize the sound in the XM6... 

 

But considering I have both and am happy with both, I really can't help you in making a decision. 
Good Luck!

 

Cheers!

-HK sends


Edited by HK_sends - 10/12/10 at 6:32pm
post #96 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

considering I have both and am happy with both, I really can't help you in making a decision. 

 



Damn You! 

post #97 of 555

HK_Sends,

 

Have you gotten a release date and/or an estimated price from PD?

post #98 of 555
Thread Starter 

    Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulSyde View Post

HK_Sends,

 

Have you gotten a release date and/or an estimated price from PD?

Not yet.   I figured If I had the first production model, that it would be really soon.  James did say he would let me know, plus I have been checking his site and anything else google can dredge up.

 

Regards,

-HK sends
 

post #99 of 555
Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post


I have been checking his site and anything else google can dredge up.

 


Me too. 

 

I have determined that this WILL be my next portable amp.

post #100 of 555
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSyde View Post




Me too. 

 

I have determined that this WILL be my next portable amp.

I am currently burning-in the amp after rolling in some AD8610 OpAmps (still using the BUF634s as well) and listening with my new Grado HF-2s.  The amp sounds much better than with the default OpAmps.  I will put a few more hours on then roll in the 8397 Double Cat for a while.  Between the three OpAmp choices, I will pick the best to keep in the XM6.  I'll post some impressions as soon as I can.

 

Cheers!

-HK sends 

 

post #101 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

I am currently burning-in the amp after rolling in some AD8610 OpAmps (still using the BUF634s as well) and listening with my new Grado HF-2s.  The amp sounds much better than with the default OpAmps.  I will put a few more hours on then roll in the 8397 Double Cat for a while.  Between the three OpAmp choices, I will pick the best to keep in the XM6.  I'll post some impressions as soon as I can.

 

Cheers!

-HK sends 

 



Jealous_by_nkray.jpg

post #102 of 555
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSyde View Post





Jealous_by_nkray.jpg


I wasn't TRYING to rub it in...too much....

 

Cheers!

-HK sends

post #103 of 555

That is one interesting amp. If it wasn't such a huge brick compared to the Arrow, I would be all over it. Don't get me wrong - it still is awesome compared to the competition, for stationary use.

post #104 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

I am currently burning-in the amp after rolling in some AD8610 OpAmps (still using the BUF634s as well) and listening with my new Grado HF-2s.  The amp sounds much better than with the default OpAmps.  I will put a few more hours on then roll in the 8397 Double Cat for a while.  Between the three OpAmp choices, I will pick the best to keep in the XM6.  I'll post some impressions as soon as I can.

 

Cheers!

-HK sends 

 



Niiiish! 

post #105 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post




I wasn't TRYING to rub it in...too much....

 

Cheers!

-HK sends



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)