Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 36

post #526 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

How "wrong" were they? Usually chips that are installed incorrectly wind up fried.

I believe it had the buff chips and the amp upgrade installed instead of the copper bars

post #527 of 555

Do you mean it had buf634 installed along with the ad8397?

post #528 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Do you mean it had buf634 installed along with the ad8397?

Yeah, it had two buf634's installed alongside the AD8397. The device was getting really hot but reconfiguring the amp chips has rectified this.

post #529 of 555
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Yeah, it had two buf634's installed alongside the AD8397. The device was getting really hot but reconfiguring the amp chips has rectified this.

IIRC, I believe the AD8397 already has an internal buffer and the 634s shouldn't be used with it.  That's where the copper bus bars come in handy.

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #530 of 555

Yes, just two bus bars with AD8397, Ive got the official AD8397 installation instructions if needed.

post #531 of 555
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Yeah, it had two buf634's installed alongside the AD8397. The device was getting really hot but reconfiguring the amp chips has rectified this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

IIRC, I believe the AD8397 already has an internal buffer and the 634s shouldn't be used with it.  That's where the copper bus bars come in handy.

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy1969 View Post

Yes, just two bus bars with AD8397, Ive got the official AD8397 installation instructions if needed.

Pull the BUF634s and install the copper bus bars (make sure you follow the instructions and have things plugged into the right sockets!) with the AD8397, and that should address the heat issue (sounds like you already did).

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #532 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

 

 

Pull the BUF634s and install the copper bus bars (make sure you follow the instructions and have things plugged into the right sockets!) with the AD8397, and that should address the heat issue (sounds like you already did).

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yeah, I did that. It still gets quite hot after an hour of use. Maybe around 45-50 degrees centigrade.

post #533 of 555
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Yeah, I did that. It still gets quite hot after an hour of use. Maybe around 45-50 degrees centigrade.

Did you ever contact James at Practical Devices?

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #534 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

Did you ever contact James at Practical Devices?

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yeah, he said that the XM6 shouldn't get warm or hot...

post #535 of 555
Thread Starter 

Hmmm...I wonder if the battery is the problem.  I have heard some defective batteries do get awful hot during use.  You could pull the amp and battery out of the case and run it for a while then check the battery to see if it is hot.  JUST be careful about static and shorting out the electronics...

 

I hope you are able to get the issue resolved.

 

All the Best,

-HK sends

post #536 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

Hmmm...I wonder if the battery is the problem.  I have heard some defective batteries do get awful hot during use.  You could pull the amp and battery out of the case and run it for a while then check the battery to see if it is hot.  JUST be careful about static and shorting out the electronics...

 

I hope you are able to get the issue resolved.

 

All the Best,

-HK sends

Yeah, I may try that. Do Practical Devices issue new batteries?

post #537 of 555
Thread Starter 

I would think.  The battery doesn't last forever but the amp can go for years...

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #538 of 555

I would also try a different USB cable. I found when using the short one delivered with my XM6 that it caused the unit to heat up to the level you are experiencing. After I changed cables, it only ever gets slightly warm.  

post #539 of 555

That makes me wonder if the cable is causing a short somewhere. 

post #540 of 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-sf View Post

I would also try a different USB cable. I found when using the short one delivered with my XM6 that it caused the unit to heat up to the level you are experiencing. After I changed cables, it only ever gets slightly warm.  

Yeah, I'll try that out. It must be the DAC drawing power from the USB too cos when I use the XM6 as just an amp it doesn't get hot at all.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)