Haha, I think I know which ad that was too. It was pretty tempting. Looking forward to some impressions!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/10/10
- productPractical Devices XM5 Portable Headamptagged by System, 6/9/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandPratical Devicestagged by System, 9/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help finding a portable AMP and DAC, 300-650$ Paired with Beuerdynamic DT1350 Last post on 5/29/12 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 vs Ibasso D6 Last post on 9/13/11 at 1:41am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable Amp/Dac with RCA output Last post on 8/9/12 at 9:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
I noticed so much praise around here that my expectations were quite high and I gotta say: I was not disappointed at all. There's little new we can say about such a famous/infamous IEM. I bought a...
The Sennheiser HD280 that I'm reviewing do not belong to me, they're presumably a couple years old (I didn't ask) and in good condition aside from a couple scratches on the earcups. I was curious...
Disclaimer The FR is a review sample sent from Noble Audio. The reviewer was compensated in the form of a ridiculously cool and form-fitting Noble Audio shirt. Introduction Despite humans...
New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 35post #511 of 5554/14/13 at 6:23pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 5554/14/13 at 6:31pmQuote:
I'm keen as mustard to get my hands on it - I'll write up some impressions for you when I've had a listenpost #513 of 5554/14/13 at 7:50pm
Haha, had I not just encountered Keen's brand mustard recently, that reference would have been utterly lost on me.post #514 of 5554/14/13 at 7:53pmQuote:
It's a widely used saying here in Aus :P I guess it would have been bweildering if you didn't know the brand lolpost #515 of 5554/14/13 at 9:07pm
The XM6 is spec'd to support 96/24 via its TI SRC4192 USB receiver chip but I am only able to get it to go to 48/16 on either my Macbook or Win7 notebook. I have 96/24 HD music files that I would like to get full resolution out of. Is there something I am missing or is PD not using the full input capabilities of the receiver and being a bit misleading in its specs?post #516 of 5554/15/13 at 2:40ampost #517 of 5554/16/13 at 9:27pm
I jumped in on headphone amps very recently. It started when I purchased a headphone and decided I needed an amp to drive it. The headphone is an HD600 from Sennheiser. It sounded really good on anything I connected it to regardless of power. PC, Marantz, USB player, Zune, or Samsung tablet the headphones were superior to anything I had previously used for this purpose. After reading about headphone amplification I decided to spead some money to determine if an amp really mattered. The short answer is yes, it does matter.
I normally listen to my home system which is a Marantz 5007 receiver driving a Martin Logan C2 center, Martin Logan C4 bookshelfs, HTD 8" rears, and a Velodyne 8" subwoofer. What I just described is about $4,400 at retail. I say that just to emphasis that I spent $900 on the Hd600 and XM6 Practical Devices amp/dac. I enjoy them both and both sound amazing.
I rate the sound of the headphone setup better than the Martin logan setup for personal listening. I rate the home system as superior overall because it lets me interact with others. Having said that I pretty much listen to the headphones because interaction requires other people. My wife and I really enjoy the home system but no longer spend every waking hour together and as a result it is probably a 25% to 75% split.
The headphone experience is so good that I am thinking about the HD800. Anything else I should consider?post #518 of 5554/20/13 at 10:55amThread Starter
Just to let everyone know, I will be selling my XM6 (at a decent discount) which was the subject for this review. It is still an outstanding amp but I have move to desktop audio and don't travel as much as I used to so the XM6 is not being used.
I hope someone else can get good use out of it.
It will be in the for sale section soon...
-HK sendspost #519 of 5554/26/13 at 7:19pmpost #520 of 5554/26/13 at 7:38pmThread StarterQuote:
Mine never gets real hot, but it does get warm after some use. Are you using the power adapter when you use the amp? It could be the battery getting hot.
-HK sendspost #521 of 5554/26/13 at 8:03pmQuote:
Nah not using the power adaptor. Im using it with my S3 and it drains the battery of my phone really fast and gets alarmingly hot.post #522 of 5554/26/13 at 8:34pmThread StarterQuote:
No, that doesn't sound normal. Is it under warranty? I'd contact James at Practical Devices.
-HK sendspost #523 of 5554/27/13 at 4:25pmQuote:
I ran it for about a hour 15 mins with the hd650's at moderate to loud and it only got warm, used under 20% (1 bar) of the phone battery running neutron.post #524 of 5554/28/13 at 2:51amQuote:
I opened it up and realised that the guy I bought it off had configured the amp chips wrong so this might account for the heat.post #525 of 5554/28/13 at 8:43am
- New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › what is the BEST IEM FOR VOCAL?? 3 minutes ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 4 minutes ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 6 minutes ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 10 minutes ago
- › M-Audio HDH 50 / AKAI AP-HPH-002 10 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 11 minutes ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 12 minutes ago
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob