Haha, I think I know which ad that was too. It was pretty tempting. Looking forward to some impressions!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/10/10
- productPractical Devices XM5 Portable Headamptagged by System, 6/10/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandPratical Devicestagged by System, 9/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help finding a portable AMP and DAC, 300-650$ Paired with Beuerdynamic DT1350 Last post on 5/29/12 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 vs Ibasso D6 Last post on 9/13/11 at 1:41am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable Amp/Dac with RCA output Last post on 8/9/12 at 9:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Sound Quality Straight out of the box, it sounded great, pretty much like the original CAL!. I’ve done over 100 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. As I mentioned in one of the posts, it reminded...
The smallest, toughest, yet great sounding player you can buy. Though that really depends on your luck, but it can be found for as low as 20 euros on eBay, other classifieds, or your local...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > M-Audio Q40. There isn't much I have to add to other...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > SR950. The SR950s are fairly detailed headphones possessing a...
New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 35post #511 of 5554/14/13 at 6:23pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #512 of 5554/14/13 at 6:31pmQuote:
I'm keen as mustard to get my hands on it - I'll write up some impressions for you when I've had a listenpost #513 of 5554/14/13 at 7:50pm
Haha, had I not just encountered Keen's brand mustard recently, that reference would have been utterly lost on me.post #514 of 5554/14/13 at 7:53pmQuote:
It's a widely used saying here in Aus :P I guess it would have been bweildering if you didn't know the brand lolpost #515 of 5554/14/13 at 9:07pm
The XM6 is spec'd to support 96/24 via its TI SRC4192 USB receiver chip but I am only able to get it to go to 48/16 on either my Macbook or Win7 notebook. I have 96/24 HD music files that I would like to get full resolution out of. Is there something I am missing or is PD not using the full input capabilities of the receiver and being a bit misleading in its specs?post #516 of 5554/15/13 at 2:40ampost #517 of 5554/16/13 at 9:27pm
I jumped in on headphone amps very recently. It started when I purchased a headphone and decided I needed an amp to drive it. The headphone is an HD600 from Sennheiser. It sounded really good on anything I connected it to regardless of power. PC, Marantz, USB player, Zune, or Samsung tablet the headphones were superior to anything I had previously used for this purpose. After reading about headphone amplification I decided to spead some money to determine if an amp really mattered. The short answer is yes, it does matter.
I normally listen to my home system which is a Marantz 5007 receiver driving a Martin Logan C2 center, Martin Logan C4 bookshelfs, HTD 8" rears, and a Velodyne 8" subwoofer. What I just described is about $4,400 at retail. I say that just to emphasis that I spent $900 on the Hd600 and XM6 Practical Devices amp/dac. I enjoy them both and both sound amazing.
I rate the sound of the headphone setup better than the Martin logan setup for personal listening. I rate the home system as superior overall because it lets me interact with others. Having said that I pretty much listen to the headphones because interaction requires other people. My wife and I really enjoy the home system but no longer spend every waking hour together and as a result it is probably a 25% to 75% split.
The headphone experience is so good that I am thinking about the HD800. Anything else I should consider?post #518 of 5554/20/13 at 10:55amThread Starter
Just to let everyone know, I will be selling my XM6 (at a decent discount) which was the subject for this review. It is still an outstanding amp but I have move to desktop audio and don't travel as much as I used to so the XM6 is not being used.
I hope someone else can get good use out of it.
It will be in the for sale section soon...
-HK sendspost #519 of 5554/26/13 at 7:19pmpost #520 of 5554/26/13 at 7:38pmThread StarterQuote:
Mine never gets real hot, but it does get warm after some use. Are you using the power adapter when you use the amp? It could be the battery getting hot.
-HK sendspost #521 of 5554/26/13 at 8:03pmQuote:
Nah not using the power adaptor. Im using it with my S3 and it drains the battery of my phone really fast and gets alarmingly hot.post #522 of 5554/26/13 at 8:34pmThread StarterQuote:
No, that doesn't sound normal. Is it under warranty? I'd contact James at Practical Devices.
-HK sendspost #523 of 5554/27/13 at 4:25pmQuote:
I ran it for about a hour 15 mins with the hd650's at moderate to loud and it only got warm, used under 20% (1 bar) of the phone battery running neutron.post #524 of 5554/28/13 at 2:51amQuote:
I opened it up and realised that the guy I bought it off had configured the amp chips wrong so this might account for the heat.post #525 of 5554/28/13 at 8:43am
- New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Looking for a pair of headphones sub $200, any suggestions? 22 seconds ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 23 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 41 seconds ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 2 minutes ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 2 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Momentum, MDR-1R, QC15, DT1350,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for simple headphones compatible with mobile phones (with a... 3 minutes ago
- › What's your foobar2000 setup? 3 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Q-Audio French Silk Cable by WNBC
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by boombox589
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi