Thanks for the impressions. I've always been curious about this, but have not been into portables as much lately.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/10/10
- productPractical Devices XM5 Portable Headamptagged by System, 6/9/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandPratical Devicestagged by System, 9/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help finding a portable AMP and DAC, 300-650$ Paired with Beuerdynamic DT1350 Last post on 5/29/12 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 vs Ibasso D6 Last post on 9/13/11 at 1:41am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable Amp/Dac with RCA output Last post on 8/9/12 at 9:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Admittedly, I took far too long to post this review. I wanted to try a different approach that involved becoming accustomed to the signature followed by a period without them, and then a...
FiiO has been quite successful with their X series of high resolution digital audio player. So much so that perhaps even they themselves didn’t anticipate that the company will have to shift its...
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
The HM5 Velours are quite simply, an uber-comfortable pad for HM5/Shure/Beyer/ATH/(most large circumaural headphones). I was offered a review sample from Brainwavz and have the following to say...
Almost 2 months with these gems. I simply love these IEMs. I paired them against my Shure SE215 and the Havi B3 Pro 1 and I briefly pit them against the UE700s and Klipsch S4II. I am definitely no...
New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 34post #496 of 5552/25/13 at 9:30am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 5552/26/13 at 12:02pmI have just tried using the XM6 with my Beyerdynamic DT1350's I use in my office. Unfortunately the XM6 has a "Low Gain" setting of +10db which does not play well with the 1350's 109db efficiency. As a result I can only use the initial 10-15% of the volume control's rotation. Fortunately the pot has no tracking problems in that range. Now the 75ohm load switch does significantly knock the gain down but since the 1350's impedance is 80 ohms it rolls off the high end. I normally use my iBasso D-Zero which only has a low gain setting of +3db and works extremely well as it uses the same Wolfson DAC family in the 8740.Even with this volume control issue, the combo really establishes the bass end and demonstrates how truly low the 1350's can go. It's quite visceral.post #498 of 5553/1/13 at 9:02am
I got the xm6 today, initial impressions very positive, out of curiousity I hooked it up to my samsung s3 phone via the usb OTG cable and it works well, I suspect the DAC stage is drawing power from the phone but its below or equal to the phone limit (I think about a 100ma).post #499 of 5553/8/13 at 3:57pm
I have been using my XM6 for about 10 days with a variety of headphones/IEMs. I can say at this point that it works great with on-ear and over the ear cans of moderate to high impedance. I have had hours of enjoyment with both my DT1350's and HD700's. Due to its high low-gain setting of 10db, it is not a good match for sensitive IEM's such as my TripleFi 10's. You end up with very little volume control range (7-8 o'clock) though the amp is dead silent. I would much rather of seen the gain to be more in the range of 3-5db for Low and 10-12 for high.
One thing I noticed on mine, is that when I use it as a DAC/AMP on either my Macbook or Thinkpad, it gets quite warm even though it is not charging and I do notice an electronics high temp smell from the back. Is this unique to my unit or are others here noticing this?post #500 of 5553/8/13 at 4:14pmpost #501 of 5553/8/13 at 10:56pm
Did some serious troubleshooting tonight and discovered the issue was the PD supplied USB cable! Not sure why but substituting it eliminated both the heat and the smell. I will send a email to James and see what he has to say.post #502 of 5553/8/13 at 11:09pmpost #503 of 5553/9/13 at 1:37ampost #504 of 5553/26/13 at 3:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuzzy1969
I got the xm6 today, initial impressions very positive, out of curiousity I hooked it up to my samsung s3 phone via the usb OTG cable and it works well, I suspect the DAC stage is drawing power from the phone but its below or equal to the phone limit (I think about a 100ma).
Would you say your PCStep is better overall in sound quality?post #505 of 5553/26/13 at 4:08pm
I havn't spent much time with the xm6 to be honest, its certainly good in its own right from the brief time Ive spent with it, I seem to have acquired to many DAC's in a short space of time. The PCSteps presentation is quite a bit different to the apex and xm6 in regards to authority the PCStep has in the bass department. Ill give the xm6 a listen over the weekend.post #506 of 5553/26/13 at 4:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuzzy1969
I havn't spent much time with the xm6 to be honest, its certainly good in its own right from the brief time Ive spent with it, I seem to have acquired to many DAC's in a short space of time. The PCSteps presentation is quite a bit different to the apex and xm6 in regards to authority the PCStep has in the bass department. Ill give the xm6 a listen over the weekend.
Thanks for that info. So the XM6 is compatible with the S3 through USB OTG?post #507 of 5553/26/13 at 4:18pmpost #508 of 5553/26/13 at 4:21pmQuote:
Yeah, I like the features it has. Does the bass boost affect the definition of the bass or make it muddy?post #509 of 5553/26/13 at 4:31pmpost #510 of 5554/14/13 at 5:36pm
- New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 24 seconds ago
- › iFi Audio "Mini" desktop line discussion thread 29 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones 36 seconds ago
- › Best headphones under 499 for classic rock 47 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode 1 minute ago
- › DIY your own Theme for your lovely X3 2 minutes ago
- › Giveaway: Sennheiser HD700 and Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies DAC/amp 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by ClieOS
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)