Thanks for the impressions. I've always been curious about this, but have not been into portables as much lately.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/10/10
- productPractical Devices XM5 Portable Headamptagged by System, 6/9/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandPratical Devicestagged by System, 9/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help finding a portable AMP and DAC, 300-650$ Paired with Beuerdynamic DT1350 Last post on 5/29/12 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 vs Ibasso D6 Last post on 9/13/11 at 1:41am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable Amp/Dac with RCA output Last post on 8/9/12 at 9:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
First off, thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for reaching out and offering the opportunity to look at the "Jive". Secondly, I noticed a trend that I'm giving 4 stars to everything I've reviewed...
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 34post #496 of 5572/25/13 at 9:30am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 5572/26/13 at 12:02pmI have just tried using the XM6 with my Beyerdynamic DT1350's I use in my office. Unfortunately the XM6 has a "Low Gain" setting of +10db which does not play well with the 1350's 109db efficiency. As a result I can only use the initial 10-15% of the volume control's rotation. Fortunately the pot has no tracking problems in that range. Now the 75ohm load switch does significantly knock the gain down but since the 1350's impedance is 80 ohms it rolls off the high end. I normally use my iBasso D-Zero which only has a low gain setting of +3db and works extremely well as it uses the same Wolfson DAC family in the 8740.Even with this volume control issue, the combo really establishes the bass end and demonstrates how truly low the 1350's can go. It's quite visceral.post #498 of 5573/1/13 at 9:02am
I got the xm6 today, initial impressions very positive, out of curiousity I hooked it up to my samsung s3 phone via the usb OTG cable and it works well, I suspect the DAC stage is drawing power from the phone but its below or equal to the phone limit (I think about a 100ma).post #499 of 5573/8/13 at 3:57pm
I have been using my XM6 for about 10 days with a variety of headphones/IEMs. I can say at this point that it works great with on-ear and over the ear cans of moderate to high impedance. I have had hours of enjoyment with both my DT1350's and HD700's. Due to its high low-gain setting of 10db, it is not a good match for sensitive IEM's such as my TripleFi 10's. You end up with very little volume control range (7-8 o'clock) though the amp is dead silent. I would much rather of seen the gain to be more in the range of 3-5db for Low and 10-12 for high.
One thing I noticed on mine, is that when I use it as a DAC/AMP on either my Macbook or Thinkpad, it gets quite warm even though it is not charging and I do notice an electronics high temp smell from the back. Is this unique to my unit or are others here noticing this?post #500 of 5573/8/13 at 4:14pmpost #501 of 5573/8/13 at 10:56pm
Did some serious troubleshooting tonight and discovered the issue was the PD supplied USB cable! Not sure why but substituting it eliminated both the heat and the smell. I will send a email to James and see what he has to say.post #502 of 5573/8/13 at 11:09pmpost #503 of 5573/9/13 at 1:37ampost #504 of 5573/26/13 at 3:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuzzy1969
I got the xm6 today, initial impressions very positive, out of curiousity I hooked it up to my samsung s3 phone via the usb OTG cable and it works well, I suspect the DAC stage is drawing power from the phone but its below or equal to the phone limit (I think about a 100ma).
Would you say your PCStep is better overall in sound quality?post #505 of 5573/26/13 at 4:08pm
I havn't spent much time with the xm6 to be honest, its certainly good in its own right from the brief time Ive spent with it, I seem to have acquired to many DAC's in a short space of time. The PCSteps presentation is quite a bit different to the apex and xm6 in regards to authority the PCStep has in the bass department. Ill give the xm6 a listen over the weekend.post #506 of 5573/26/13 at 4:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuzzy1969
I havn't spent much time with the xm6 to be honest, its certainly good in its own right from the brief time Ive spent with it, I seem to have acquired to many DAC's in a short space of time. The PCSteps presentation is quite a bit different to the apex and xm6 in regards to authority the PCStep has in the bass department. Ill give the xm6 a listen over the weekend.
Thanks for that info. So the XM6 is compatible with the S3 through USB OTG?post #507 of 5573/26/13 at 4:18pmpost #508 of 5573/26/13 at 4:21pmQuote:
Yeah, I like the features it has. Does the bass boost affect the definition of the bass or make it muddy?post #509 of 5573/26/13 at 4:31pmpost #510 of 5574/14/13 at 5:36pm
- New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › headphone suggestion please 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Seattle Red Hook Meet July 30, 2016 2 minutes ago
- › Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New here 5 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 5 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...