Thanks for the impressions. I've always been curious about this, but have not been into portables as much lately.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/10/10
- productPractical Devices XM5 Portable Headamptagged by System, 6/9/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandPratical Devicestagged by System, 9/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help finding a portable AMP and DAC, 300-650$ Paired with Beuerdynamic DT1350 Last post on 5/29/12 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 vs Ibasso D6 Last post on 9/13/11 at 1:41am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable Amp/Dac with RCA output Last post on 8/9/12 at 9:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 1/22/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
So, these are quite good, actually. But I am not as impressed as I should be after paying 500 Euro. There are some very nice things here, but also some very bad ones, and some silly...
Well, I am really happy that these headphones exist, although I am angry with the designers for ruining something almost perfect with a stupid detail like too thin earpads. But, let's start...
If you are looking for an inexpensive USB cable, this is an OK way to spend your money. It will reduce some of the digital irritants and sounds better than the "comes with" usb cables packaged...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 34post #496 of 5552/25/13 at 9:30am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 5552/26/13 at 12:02pmI have just tried using the XM6 with my Beyerdynamic DT1350's I use in my office. Unfortunately the XM6 has a "Low Gain" setting of +10db which does not play well with the 1350's 109db efficiency. As a result I can only use the initial 10-15% of the volume control's rotation. Fortunately the pot has no tracking problems in that range. Now the 75ohm load switch does significantly knock the gain down but since the 1350's impedance is 80 ohms it rolls off the high end. I normally use my iBasso D-Zero which only has a low gain setting of +3db and works extremely well as it uses the same Wolfson DAC family in the 8740.Even with this volume control issue, the combo really establishes the bass end and demonstrates how truly low the 1350's can go. It's quite visceral.post #498 of 5553/1/13 at 9:02am
I got the xm6 today, initial impressions very positive, out of curiousity I hooked it up to my samsung s3 phone via the usb OTG cable and it works well, I suspect the DAC stage is drawing power from the phone but its below or equal to the phone limit (I think about a 100ma).post #499 of 5553/8/13 at 3:57pm
I have been using my XM6 for about 10 days with a variety of headphones/IEMs. I can say at this point that it works great with on-ear and over the ear cans of moderate to high impedance. I have had hours of enjoyment with both my DT1350's and HD700's. Due to its high low-gain setting of 10db, it is not a good match for sensitive IEM's such as my TripleFi 10's. You end up with very little volume control range (7-8 o'clock) though the amp is dead silent. I would much rather of seen the gain to be more in the range of 3-5db for Low and 10-12 for high.
One thing I noticed on mine, is that when I use it as a DAC/AMP on either my Macbook or Thinkpad, it gets quite warm even though it is not charging and I do notice an electronics high temp smell from the back. Is this unique to my unit or are others here noticing this?post #500 of 5553/8/13 at 4:14pmpost #501 of 5553/8/13 at 10:56pm
Did some serious troubleshooting tonight and discovered the issue was the PD supplied USB cable! Not sure why but substituting it eliminated both the heat and the smell. I will send a email to James and see what he has to say.post #502 of 5553/8/13 at 11:09pmpost #503 of 5553/9/13 at 1:37ampost #504 of 5553/26/13 at 3:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuzzy1969
I got the xm6 today, initial impressions very positive, out of curiousity I hooked it up to my samsung s3 phone via the usb OTG cable and it works well, I suspect the DAC stage is drawing power from the phone but its below or equal to the phone limit (I think about a 100ma).
Would you say your PCStep is better overall in sound quality?post #505 of 5553/26/13 at 4:08pm
I havn't spent much time with the xm6 to be honest, its certainly good in its own right from the brief time Ive spent with it, I seem to have acquired to many DAC's in a short space of time. The PCSteps presentation is quite a bit different to the apex and xm6 in regards to authority the PCStep has in the bass department. Ill give the xm6 a listen over the weekend.post #506 of 5553/26/13 at 4:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuzzy1969
I havn't spent much time with the xm6 to be honest, its certainly good in its own right from the brief time Ive spent with it, I seem to have acquired to many DAC's in a short space of time. The PCSteps presentation is quite a bit different to the apex and xm6 in regards to authority the PCStep has in the bass department. Ill give the xm6 a listen over the weekend.
Thanks for that info. So the XM6 is compatible with the S3 through USB OTG?post #507 of 5553/26/13 at 4:18pmpost #508 of 5553/26/13 at 4:21pmQuote:
Yeah, I like the features it has. Does the bass boost affect the definition of the bass or make it muddy?post #509 of 5553/26/13 at 4:31pmpost #510 of 5554/14/13 at 5:36pm
- New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Three Word Story 22 seconds ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 27 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 28 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW first look at the Zero Audio DuoZA iems... 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Marantz HD-DAC1 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Miracle Review & Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2