Thanks for the impressions. I've always been curious about this, but have not been into portables as much lately.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/10/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 9/10/10
- productPractical Devices XM5 Portable Headamptagged by System, 6/9/11
- productPractical Devices XM6tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandPratical Devicestagged by System, 9/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help finding a portable AMP and DAC, 300-650$ Paired with Beuerdynamic DT1350 Last post on 5/29/12 at 1:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 vs Ibasso D6 Last post on 9/13/11 at 1:41am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable Amp/Dac with RCA output Last post on 8/9/12 at 9:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Before I begin, I’d like to thank shotgunshane for the opportunity to review these new headphones. My first experience with Brainwavz was when I picked up their M4 a couple of years ago. I was...
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 34post #496 of 5552/25/13 at 9:30am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #497 of 5552/26/13 at 12:02pmI have just tried using the XM6 with my Beyerdynamic DT1350's I use in my office. Unfortunately the XM6 has a "Low Gain" setting of +10db which does not play well with the 1350's 109db efficiency. As a result I can only use the initial 10-15% of the volume control's rotation. Fortunately the pot has no tracking problems in that range. Now the 75ohm load switch does significantly knock the gain down but since the 1350's impedance is 80 ohms it rolls off the high end. I normally use my iBasso D-Zero which only has a low gain setting of +3db and works extremely well as it uses the same Wolfson DAC family in the 8740.Even with this volume control issue, the combo really establishes the bass end and demonstrates how truly low the 1350's can go. It's quite visceral.post #498 of 5553/1/13 at 9:02am
I got the xm6 today, initial impressions very positive, out of curiousity I hooked it up to my samsung s3 phone via the usb OTG cable and it works well, I suspect the DAC stage is drawing power from the phone but its below or equal to the phone limit (I think about a 100ma).post #499 of 5553/8/13 at 3:57pm
I have been using my XM6 for about 10 days with a variety of headphones/IEMs. I can say at this point that it works great with on-ear and over the ear cans of moderate to high impedance. I have had hours of enjoyment with both my DT1350's and HD700's. Due to its high low-gain setting of 10db, it is not a good match for sensitive IEM's such as my TripleFi 10's. You end up with very little volume control range (7-8 o'clock) though the amp is dead silent. I would much rather of seen the gain to be more in the range of 3-5db for Low and 10-12 for high.
One thing I noticed on mine, is that when I use it as a DAC/AMP on either my Macbook or Thinkpad, it gets quite warm even though it is not charging and I do notice an electronics high temp smell from the back. Is this unique to my unit or are others here noticing this?post #500 of 5553/8/13 at 4:14pmpost #501 of 5553/8/13 at 10:56pm
Did some serious troubleshooting tonight and discovered the issue was the PD supplied USB cable! Not sure why but substituting it eliminated both the heat and the smell. I will send a email to James and see what he has to say.post #502 of 5553/8/13 at 11:09pmpost #503 of 5553/9/13 at 1:37ampost #504 of 5553/26/13 at 3:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuzzy1969
I got the xm6 today, initial impressions very positive, out of curiousity I hooked it up to my samsung s3 phone via the usb OTG cable and it works well, I suspect the DAC stage is drawing power from the phone but its below or equal to the phone limit (I think about a 100ma).
Would you say your PCStep is better overall in sound quality?post #505 of 5553/26/13 at 4:08pm
I havn't spent much time with the xm6 to be honest, its certainly good in its own right from the brief time Ive spent with it, I seem to have acquired to many DAC's in a short space of time. The PCSteps presentation is quite a bit different to the apex and xm6 in regards to authority the PCStep has in the bass department. Ill give the xm6 a listen over the weekend.post #506 of 5553/26/13 at 4:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by fuzzy1969
I havn't spent much time with the xm6 to be honest, its certainly good in its own right from the brief time Ive spent with it, I seem to have acquired to many DAC's in a short space of time. The PCSteps presentation is quite a bit different to the apex and xm6 in regards to authority the PCStep has in the bass department. Ill give the xm6 a listen over the weekend.
Thanks for that info. So the XM6 is compatible with the S3 through USB OTG?post #507 of 5553/26/13 at 4:18pmpost #508 of 5553/26/13 at 4:21pmQuote:
Yeah, I like the features it has. Does the bass boost affect the definition of the bass or make it muddy?post #509 of 5553/26/13 at 4:31pmpost #510 of 5554/14/13 at 5:36pm
- New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Best headphones for laying in bed? 47 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 48 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW/TOUR] Somic MH412 + Viper4Android. The "Put Up or Shut Up"... 56 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 3 minutes ago
- › FS : LCD-XC Mint condition 3 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)