Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review) - Page 4

post #46 of 555

i think i know what im asking santa far this year

post #47 of 555



Thanks man, two thumbs up and hats off!

 

subscribed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

 

 It does make for a suspenseful review, doesn't it?

 

Cheers!

-HK sends

post #48 of 555

Argh, just when I thought I wouldn't be buying any new toys in the near future...

post #49 of 555

Oh boy, first the Stepdance, now the XM6. I hope Santa's packin' plenty of cash this year.

 

Thanks HK for the review.

 

post #50 of 555
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post

Oh boy, first the Stepdance, now the XM6. I hope Santa's packin' plenty of cash this year.

 

Thanks HK for the review.

 

You're welcome!  I just wish I could post things faster.  I wanted to have this up last weekend, but circumstances haven't allowed.

 

Part 3 (the sound) will be posted pretty soon...

Then I will address the DAC (Wolfson 8740)

 

Cheers!

-HK sends
 

post #51 of 555

Great pictures and descriptions. BTW, what is the intended use of the auxiliary plug on the back?

post #52 of 555

I'm going to make a wild guess... connector for a docking cable? That looks like a player control right next to it (Fwd, play/pause, Rev)

post #53 of 555
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post

Great pictures and descriptions. BTW, what is the intended use of the auxiliary plug on the back?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I'm going to make a wild guess... connector for a docking cable? That looks like a player control right next to it (Fwd, play/pause, Rev)

 

I't's a multi-purpose plug with access to shuttle controls as well as USB.  I sent an e-mail to James Forest at PD asking if he had or knew anything coming on-line that will make use of it.  I will hopefully include his answer in the part of the review that covers the plug.

I'll be posting more soon!

 

Cheers!

-HK sends
 

post #54 of 555

who else got super disappointed with that cliff hanger.  this amp looks bOss, waiting for this impression is going to drive me crazy,

 

great first half which totally got my interested. great job

post #55 of 555
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur View Post

who else got super disappointed with that cliff hanger.  this amp looks bOss, waiting for this impression is going to drive me crazy,

 

great first half which totally got my interested. great job


Believe me, I never intended to string everyone along.  I have had several things working againset me putting it all out at once, but fear not I WILL finish the review.

Of course, if you want the bottom line:  I am really impressed with the XM6; especially the DAC.

 

Cheers!

-HK sends
 

post #56 of 555
Thread Starter 

Hey everyone,

 

Part three, the amp, is posted for your pleasure 

 

Cheers!

-HK sends

post #57 of 555

lol, again....u should work in hollywood great job. and more builders should have you review their product.   i never had a portbale with bass and treble boost. it makes sense treble +2.5.   that sounds like it would be perfect for some mp3 recordings i have as well as casette to mp3 transfers.  i have a whole heep of fm  casette recordings on mp3 that are irreplaceable and unobtainable which need this badly.  i would actually prefer another bass switch but not another treble. im also curious about battery maintenance etc. and how u would compare it to another reference of some sort.  im still not sure how all the inputs are used looks very cool  i do appreciate  the review.


Edited by RockinCannoisseur - 9/22/10 at 12:40am
post #58 of 555
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur View Post

lol, again....u should work in hollywood great job. and more builders should have you review their product.   i never had a portbale with bass and treble boost. it makes sense treble +2.5.   that sounds like it would be perfect for some mp3 recordings i have as well as casette to mp3 transfers.  i have a whole heep of fm  casette recordings on mp3 that are irreplaceable and unobtainable which need this badly.  i would actually prefer another bass switch but not another treble. im also curious about battery maintenance etc. and how u would compare it to another reference of some sort.  im still not sure how all the inputs are used looks very cool  i do appreciate  the review.

I appreciate your comments.   I will actually cover the battery in the DAC section as it is more relevant.  The manual says the battery life for the amp is around 25 hours, but of course, the more features that are on (bass/treble boost, 8dB gain, etc.) the faster the drain on the battery.  Of course, if you are near a wall plug, use the AC adapter, and you will have no worries.

 

I didn't do a comparison deliberately because you can change the sound so easily with the buttons and rolling the chips, that your XM6 might sound nothing like mine.  So I didn't think it was as important to compare with other amps as it was to stress that you could change the sound to fit your tastes.

 

Hope that helps...

 

Cheers!

-HK sends

 
 

post #59 of 555

I have a ton of opamps for my D10. Any idea if those would work on the XM6?

post #60 of 555
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I have a ton of opamps for my D10. Any idea if those would work on the XM6?

As long as the OpAmps are for single channel, you should be fine.

 

*EDIT* - The D10 uses dual channel amps that would not be compatable with the XM6!

Cheers!

-HK sends
 


Edited by HK_sends - 9/23/10 at 3:16pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)