New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LCD-2 vs. HE-5LE

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

After reading through almost 300 pages of the LCD-2 thread, I'm exhausted.  I'm pretty sure there were a couple of comparisons in there...  But frankly, those open-ended threads end up becoming so big that they're not very useful.

 

How about some direct HE-5LE vs LCD-2 comparisons here?  No comparisons with the HD-800, no talk about cable magic, conspiracies, or darkness debates? 

 

Thanks

post #2 of 27
Thread Starter 

Sooo...  No one?  Come on, lets support well-focused threads 

post #3 of 27

As a HE-5LE owner, I would also love to hear such a comparaison.

post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldRage View Post

As a HE-5LE owner, I would also love to hear such a comparaison.


I believe that was done and the consensus was the LCD2 was much better.

post #5 of 27

Skylab has several posts/comments on this if you search.

post #6 of 27


True, but that is where the "search this thread" function comes in quite handy as well....there are ways around all the garbage in threads.  

 

Skylab has definitely heard both I am pretty sure.  I think general consensus was that the He5Le had more treble energy.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post

After reading through almost 300 pages of the LCD-2 thread, I'm exhausted.  I'm pretty sure there were a couple of comparisons in there...  But frankly, those open-ended threads end up becoming so big that they're not very useful.

 

How about some direct HE-5LE vs LCD-2 comparisons here?  No comparisons with the HD-800, no talk about cable magic, conspiracies, or darkness debates? 

 

Thanks

post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

Skylab has several posts/comments on this if you search.


Yes, thanks, I saw a few of his posts.  However, I was hoping that there would be some 4-5 other people who have tried both.

 

I'm actually a bit surprised that it doesn't seem to be the case.  Since the HE-5LE is orthodynamic, you'd think that most people who like its sound would want to try the LCD-2.

post #8 of 27

You are going to find lcd-2 lovers who will say that the general consensus says that people prefer those by a huge margin, but there are only a few who have heard both. From all of the impressions I've read it's really split. Someone posted in another thread that at a meet between he-5, he-5le, and lcd-2 just as many people preferred the he-5s, as the he-5le, and just as many preferred one of those to the lcd-2s. Both the he-5le and lcd-2 are on the same playing field. It comes down to preference. 

post #9 of 27

I have the HE5's (When I compared to the LE's, there were very marginal differences). I prefer the LCD-2 by a large margin. And no, I'm not a fanboy, but it's hard not to agree to it's supremecy in some regards. Compared to the HE5's though, they're much more realistic, versatile, faster, natural sounding with so much more inner detail. With the music I listen to, the mid-range of the LCD-2 brings out many qualities better than the 5's, sense of depth and MUCH more detail for starters... HE5's are an average, quite smooth can with good rhythmic cababilities, but that's pretty much it for me. Following notes and what pitches they represent becomes difficult.

But yeah, I even prefer K701s to the HE5's and even LCD-2s in some important regards, so take this with a grain of salt. Depends quite much what kind of music you listen and what you find important in the musical reproduction.

post #10 of 27

I recently got my LCD-2's after hearing them at a mini-meet http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/535531/philadelphia-delaware-and-new-jersey-area-mini-meet-impressions

 

I also heard the HE-5's there.  I was impressed by their transparency, but found them a little brighter than I prefer.  Not sure I could listen to them for a long time.  The LCD-2's are less fatiguing than the HE-5's seemed, tho I'm guessing the right amp might calm them down a little.

post #11 of 27

I've heard the HE-5LE's are much harder to drive than the LCD-2. Anyone know approximately how much harder?

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

You are going to find lcd-2 lovers who will say that the general consensus says that people prefer those by a huge margin, but there are only a few who have heard both. From all of the impressions I've read it's really split. Someone posted in another thread that at a meet between he-5, he-5le, and lcd-2 just as many people preferred the he-5s, as the he-5le, and just as many preferred one of those to the lcd-2s. Both the he-5le and lcd-2 are on the same playing field. It comes down to preference. 


Would you say that the HE-5LE and HE-6 are on the same playing field?

post #13 of 27

Peter LOL the He6 is much much better than the HE5LE I have heard both and even Ross compared the proto to the 5LE and found the proto better and the production HE6 is in a whole different field of play. Sort of like comparing Roy Halladay to Joe Blanton One is a superstar and the other a good player certainly not the same caliber.

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Peter LOL the He6 is much much better than the HE5LE I have heard both and even Ross compared the proto to the 5LE and found the proto better and the production HE6 is in a whole different field of play. Sort of like comparing Roy Halladay to Joe Blanton One is a superstar and the other a good player certainly not the same caliber.


Kinda what I was getting at. The HE-6s (from all accounts I've heard) are a step up from the HE-5LEs. But then the LCD-2s are be considered on par with the HE-6s (which I am sure you and Skylab would agree....and in fact slightly prefer the LCD-2s...please correct me if I am wrong). So, the logic would support that the LCD-2s are better than the HE-5LEs. smile.gif

 

I believe both you and I were LCD-2 skeptics too and thought the owners were drinking from the Audeze Kool-aid too. But then we bought them and found out that no Kool-Aid was needed. They were simply outstanding headphones (and IMO, the best I've heard to date). Oh...and we want Roy back! tongue.gif

 

Of course for others YMMV.

post #15 of 27

Oh...and we want Roy back!

 

Yeah...good luck with that. ;-) I bet Houston would like Oswalt back...same with Texas and Cliff Lee.  Hell, Oakland could use Blanton too. 

 

Ain't happnin'!  It's World Series or Bust for Philly, baby!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home