Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First... - Page 16

post #226 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj nellie View Post

Maybe for long-term listening, I might find the ES5 or JH16 to be slightly more musical and the RM to be slightly dry

 

really just a matter of combining it with the right amp and/or source. on my HM-601, the UERM does better than the UE11Pro, and on my iMod (usually amped via Tomahawk) the 11Pro is a tad nicer for my taste. the UERM also does really well unamped on my various computers (heresy? so be it), while other IEMs I have or had would not do well there without an amp. in the end, I just recently surprised myself by writing to someone that if I had to get rid of all headphones and only keep one, I'd most likely pick the UERM: it's versatile, accurate, does well with almost all my favorite genres, and does not require a whole lot of investment upstream.

post #227 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by melomaniac View Post

the UERM also does really well unamped on my various computers (heresy? so be it), while other IEMs I have or had would not do well there without an amp. in the end, I just recently surprised myself by writing to someone that if I had to get rid of all headphones and only keep one, I'd most likely pick the UERM: it's versatile, accurate, does well with almost all my favorite genres, and does not require a whole lot of investment upstream.


I feel the same way about my ES5.  

 

post #228 of 257

x


Edited by fznicon - 6/18/12 at 11:58pm
post #229 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznicon View Post

Hey guys. I got a pair of RM. They sound great, but I'm really not liking the in ear design (this was my first set). I'm interested in selling, but know that it would only be practical if the drivers could be reclaimed. Is that possible? Thanks. 


Yup, you can resell them but people have to pay to get them remolded.  That's one reason why customs usually take a hit on resale.

post #230 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznicon View Post

Hey guys. I got a pair of RM. They sound great, but I'm really not liking the in ear design (this was my first set). I'm interested in selling, but know that it would only be practical if the drivers could be reclaimed. Is that possible? Thanks. 

What don't you like? It could be a fit issue (which is quite common and can be fixed).

 

It could be rewarding not to give up on them so easily.

 

 

post #231 of 257

x


Edited by fznicon - 6/18/12 at 11:58pm
post #232 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznicon View Post

The fit is pretty good in my opinion. Having my ear canals blocked like that makes me experience something akin to vague vertigo though. I've tried for a few weeks, but it's taking away from my enjoyment of the music. I was thinking about asking for $500. Do you guys think that's too much? Thanks for the tips by the way. 


I'll give you $450 them w/ shipping.  

 

post #233 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznicon View Post

The fit is pretty good in my opinion. Having my ear canals blocked like that makes me experience something akin to vague vertigo though. I've tried for a few weeks, but it's taking away from my enjoyment of the music. I was thinking about asking for $500. Do you guys think that's too much? Thanks for the tips by the way. 


You should sell them to Anaxilus, then. $450 is a fair price.
 

 

post #234 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by melomaniac View Post

okay, so true to the head-fi rules, I'll invest in my own learning experience. twag cable is here, and I'll report back if it makes sense for UERM and/or UE11pro.



Peter, what did you find? do you like the twags on your UEs?

post #235 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveDerek View Post

Peter, what did you find? do you like the twags on your UEs?


ashamed to admit that I didn't yet get around to deciding which of my UEs gets the Twag. I like to alternate between them, but I don't think I'm going to be pulling cables a whole lot. I want to decide which one to pick, and first I need to get really familiar with its sound. there's not been enough time recently to listen so intently as to develop a good auditory memory of what the stock-cabled IEM does. just changing over now means I'd be in the dark about what difference it really makes, I'm afraid. must make more listening time...

post #236 of 257

I know this might be like comparing strawberries to laser beams, but can anyone compare them to Sennheiser HD25? It's basically the only can I've been using for the past few years and now I'm thinking of buying these for mixing audio, and I would greatly appreciate a line or two comparing the general sound experience if anybody has heard both!?

post #237 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanklibre View Post

I know this might be like comparing strawberries to laser beams, but can anyone compare them to Sennheiser HD25? It's basically the only can I've been using for the past few years and now I'm thinking of buying these for mixing audio, and I would greatly appreciate a line or two comparing the general sound experience if anybody has heard both!?


If you ask Joker to compare his HD25 to the DBA-02 I could give you a reference between the DBA and the IERM demo.

 

post #238 of 257

Is there any audio engineer here that uses the UE RM for mixing?

If there is how well are these IEM compared to real high end monitor speakers like ATC?

How does it compare to high end headphones like Sennheiser HD 650 or close can denon AH D7000?

 

When I do mixing on different platform 1 problem I face is soundstage. If a platform with narrow soundstage and I bring it to a platform with big soundstage my rhythm guitars which I usually pan left and right to the extreme usually kind of disappears. So far I've not heard an IEM with soundstage as wide as high end monitor speakers or high end headphones. I've tried JH 10X3, JH 11, JH 13, JH 16 and none of them could give me a soundstage I want.

 

I would love to get the UE RM for a monitor however I'm quite unsure if I should do it. Because if I can I really save a lot of money, because if I use headphones I need an amp also which cost a lot and they are much more bulky.

 

Thanks

Matthew

post #239 of 257

sorry, you're more likely to get the pro audio people elsewhere. this forum may have some, but it's not the focus here. - as for your post: if you've actually yourself tried four custom IEMs by JH, then you should not shy away from trying one more custom IEM. not sure what your last sentence means - most agree that better amps will improve the results, and the question is what amps match well with what speakers/phones/IEMs. - as for the UE RM, it is rather different from the IEMs you say you tried, and I would even bet that many listeners will find it superior to the HD650, but that's just my guess; none of the gear you list is aimed mainly at pro audio mixing, although I'm sure some people use them that way anyway.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likui View Post

Is there any audio engineer here that uses the UE RM for mixing?

If there is how well are these IEM compared to real high end monitor speakers like ATC?

How does it compare to high end headphones like Sennheiser HD 650 or close can denon AH D7000?

 

When I do mixing on different platform 1 problem I face is soundstage. If a platform with narrow soundstage and I bring it to a platform with big soundstage my rhythm guitars which I usually pan left and right to the extreme usually kind of disappears. So far I've not heard an IEM with soundstage as wide as high end monitor speakers or high end headphones. I've tried JH 10X3, JH 11, JH 13, JH 16 and none of them could give me a soundstage I want.

 

I would love to get the UE RM for a monitor however I'm quite unsure if I should do it. Because if I can I really save a lot of money, because if I use headphones I need an amp also which cost a lot and they are much more bulky.

 

Thanks

Matthew



 

post #240 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by melomaniac View Post

sorry, you're more likely to get the pro audio people elsewhere. this forum may have some, but it's not the focus here. - as for your post: if you've actually yourself tried four custom IEMs by JH, then you should not shy away from trying one more custom IEM. not sure what your last sentence means - most agree that better amps will improve the results, and the question is what amps match well with what speakers/phones/IEMs. - as for the UE RM, it is rather different from the IEMs you say you tried, and I would even bet that many listeners will find it superior to the HD650, but that's just my guess; none of the gear you list is aimed mainly at pro audio mixing, although I'm sure some people use them that way anyway.

 


The thing is the demo set for the UE RM is not available in my country if not I would have tried it. Can u recommend me any forums about pro audio mixing? because I do not know of any. What I mean by the last sentence is if I get the UE RM it will cost cheaper than Headphones + amp. For me If I get the UE RM I won't use any amp with it.

 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions