Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First... - Page 10

post #136 of 257

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

 

As you stated, it's possible that some people simply aren't suited to wearing in-ear monitors, whether they're universal-fit or customs.


I am one of those people who has adapted to having universals in my ears, but not customs. I would like to try a JH13 someday but I just couldn't get used to having my UM custom re-molds in my ears. Refits and re-impressions didn't help, and my wallet is happier anyways.

post #137 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post

 

 

Any advice on which impression method works best?

 

someone advised that asking your audiologist for Extra snug helped them their second time.


Bingo. Based on my limited experience (and sound advice from HPA), the more impression material that they use, the better. Filling the ear canals under some pressure expands them and gives a good fit.
 

My picture in the ES5 thread here, shows the difference.

post #138 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

I have the UE10 Pro, too, and the UE In-Ear Reference Monitor isn't a re-hash of the UE10 Pro.  They don't sound the same, the latter having sparklier-sounding, more extended highs and better imaging.  That said, given that the In-Ear Reference Monitor sounds better than the UE10 Pro to me--and that both are designed to be flat/neutral, the IERM very specifically so--I'm not sure where the UE10 Pro fits in the lineup now.

 

Both the UE10 Pro and IERM I have are made with clear shells, so it's also very obvious, visually, that they're not using the same drivers.


Those are some very interesting points for me because that's the main reason I fell in love with the Fischer Audio DBA-02. To me, the DBA-02 has better highs, better extension at both ends and much more precise imaging when compared to my UE10Pro. The only thing the UE10Pro beats my DBA-02 at is fit and comfort but that's a given.

 

I'm curious to give the UE IERM a try. Although getting a blessing from a company that hired Bob Norberg and allowed him to completely ruin the Sinatra discography and other releases has me thinking twice....but that's a whole 'nother topic.

post #139 of 257

I've heard the universals - whilst JH16 bass is not bloated, true, I feel it's still too much. If I were to buy, it'd be JH13.

post #140 of 257


 


 

Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post
 

 

I have read that the parts these IEM companies use are OEM and not actually proprietary. That being said, to what degree do the actual drivers/balanced armatures change in quality? Anyone have a clue?

 

More info on this topic would help evaluating the impact 6 drivers would have over 3 in technical objective terms, other than sensitivity and ability to move air.

 

If the 3 BA are of pinnacle quality in the RM and the 6 in the JH 13 are of lesser quality, it would change how I view the products a bit.

 

here is a great page on the knowles website that shows all the different BA drivers available http://www.knowles.com/search/product.htm?x_sub_cat_id=10
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post


They're all buying their armatures from the same company, Knowles. By now, they all have arrangements with Knowles to get slightly tweaked armatures, that's your "proprietary" armature...

 

You made up the idea that the armatures in one of these customs are "better" than another.

 

Balanced armatures are an old technology that hasn't really progressed. No matter which custom you buy, you'll be dramatically overpaying for what you get. Look at the Westone ES3X. You pay $400 more for exactly the same drivers and crossovers as the UM3X.




Great conversation.  Just to clarify a bit.  Not all IEM companies using Balanced Armatures get them from Knowles.  I believe the Top Tier companies do, since Knowles is the leading designer and manufacturer of Hearing Aid BA technology, but that is not to say there are not other manufacturers of balanced armatures out there.  Whenever we talk with people about their option of going with balanced armature earpieces from other companies we always recommend that they inquire about WHOSE BA drivers are used inside the earpiece.  Like Forest Gump would have said "IEMs are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get"  at least, if you don't ask. 
 

Just another reason why FS continues to do our own thing and continues to develop and advance our proprietary miniature Dynamic speaker technology.

 



 
 
post #141 of 257



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

 

I'm curious to give the UE IERM a try. Although getting a blessing from a company that hired Bob Norberg and allowed him to completely ruin the Sinatra discography and other releases has me thinking twice....but that's a whole 'nother topic.


I wish someone would create an IEM using Prof. Johnson (Reference Recordings), David Chesky (Chesky Records) and Todd Garfinkle (M.A. Records) as the beta testers and get THEIR approval! 

 

Now, that would be an IEM I would jump on.  And, my guess is, it would sound better than my beloved CK10's. 
 

post #142 of 257

I once corrected a Johnson designed speaker. Didn't believe me and then called back a week later and incorperated it. We had a giggle. My bussiness partner had recieved record of the year in a prominent publication for an acoustic jazz recording he engineered and mastered. Use us. Not!

 

 What I'm really getting at is that nobody's perfect and there are others competent enough and more familiar with the iintricacies of IEMs to do a fine job. I suspect even the best designers use a cross check of sorts to avoid tunnel vision during a design. I'm pretty comfy with those currently doing their best to give us options. I don't think any IEM can sound completely removed from being an in ear unless perhaps JH has come up with some very intersting DSP in the 3A.


Edited by goodvibes - 10/5/10 at 11:31am
post #143 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioDwebe View Post



 


I wish someone would create an IEM using Prof. Johnson (Reference Recordings), David Chesky (Chesky Records) and Todd Garfinkle (M.A. Records) as the beta testers and get THEIR approval! 

 

Now, that would be an IEM I would jump on.  And, my guess is, it would sound better than my beloved CK10's. 
 


Maybe they haven't yet for fear of the IEM being jumped on?

 

Kinda hard to sell a broken product :/

post #144 of 257



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSChic View Post
 

Great conversation.  Just to clarify a bit.  Not all IEM companies using Balanced Armatures get them from Knowles.  I believe the Top Tier companies do, since Knowles is the leading designer and manufacturer of Hearing Aid BA technology, but that is not to say there are not other manufacturers of balanced armatures out there.  Whenever we talk with people about their option of going with balanced armature earpieces from other companies we always recommend that they inquire about WHOSE BA drivers are used inside the earpiece.  Like Forest Gump would have said "IEMs are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get"  at least, if you don't ask. 
 

Just another reason why FS continues to do our own thing and continues to develop and advance our proprietary miniature Dynamic speaker technology.
 

Welcome to head-fi. Good point about Knowles, they are simply one of the biggest suppliers to high-end audio companies.

 

Future Sonics, Sony, JVC--there are a number of companies really moving forward with their own in-house dynamic driver tech. I hope that FS starts to make as well known among audiophiles as it is among performers.

 

post #145 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

Welcome to head-fi. Good point about Knowles, they are simply one of the biggest suppliers to high-end audio companies.

 

Future Sonics, Sony, JVC--there are a number of companies really moving forward with their own in-house dynamic driver tech. I hope that FS starts to make as well known among audiophiles as it is among performers.


Oh god a JVC wooden driver custom dynamic?  I'd be all over that.

post #146 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post




Oh god a JVC wooden driver custom dynamic?  I'd be all over that.


hell_yes.jpg
 

post #147 of 257

But would it fit on damp days?

post #148 of 257

thanks for the post. (:

post #149 of 257

Wow, thanks for the first impressions, Jude. 

post #150 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioDwebe View Post

I wish someone would create an IEM using Prof. Johnson (Reference Recordings), David Chesky (Chesky Records) and Todd Garfinkle (M.A. Records) as the beta testers and get THEIR approval! 

 

Now, that would be an IEM I would jump on.  And, my guess is, it would sound better than my beloved CK10's.

 

the dwebe may abide, but please don't jump to the conclusion that these three (or other) experts have not been helping with IEM and headphone design. the question is whether they would lend their names to a marketing campaign (or at what price), not whether they can assist in beta testing. I think it's safe to say that such sound engineers and recording mavens are in all sorts of audio design loops...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions