Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most overrated headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most overrated headphones? - Page 67

post #991 of 1102

Eeeeeh. Going back to the cables thing, I don't really believe it. But then I got this used Goldring DR150 and it came with a free custom cable. I might be swayed but the treble in the original cable is harsh compared to the custom cable. But then again, the original is like 2 meters plus while the custom one is more like a 1.3 meters.

Cables are ok I guess, just don't spend more than 1/4 of the headphone price on cables. Also don't  buy if you can't detect the difference. A lot of people don't believe in cables, and a lot of people do believe in cables. Just get what you think you want and get on with it.

 

[flame shield on]

post #992 of 1102

This is my theory in a nutshell: cables can't improve headphones, but they can absolutely hold them back. A super expensive cable isn't going to make your headphones sound like a different pair, but a cheap and chintzy cable will make them sound like crap. Most top-end brands aren't giving their headphones crap cables, so dropping $300 on a cable just seems ridiculous.

 

Can they make a difference? Well sure, it's an analog transmission (the HDMI analogy doesn't work because the signal going into your headphones isn't just 1s and 0s), but we're not talking about giant theater speakers here. 

post #993 of 1102

post #994 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post
 

 

  1. Amplifiers have a thing called output impedance...  Different headphones will respond to higher output impedances differently.  Not always an improvement, but definitely can become one.  Distortion measures, etc will also play a roll...  If all amps were created alike, many laptops wouldn't sound like crap.
  2. No comment
  3. No comment again
  4. Cabling has a few effects depending on material, thickness, and length.  They mainly change the resistance going through the system.  Changing resistance in a pair of headphones can change its sound (again, look at the impedance measurements).  Some materials that corrode will have less conductive thickness with time (conductive material replaced with non-conductive).
  5. That I may actually agree with...  There may be a select few though...  Doubt anyone who claims it would be part of it :/
  6. Tyll's measurements show a change in distortion measurements.  Rin's and Tylls have shown a small 1-3 dB change throughout the spectrum for change.  Though 1-3 dB doesn't seem large, over a large enough bandwidth, it can be audible. 
  7. <sarcasm>Definitely, why wouldn't a headphone bought at full price be better?  It costs more!
  8. I disagree, blue ones obviously are the best.</sarcasm>
post #995 of 1102

Somebody wildly failed Reading Sarcasm 101.

post #996 of 1102

I think 2 most important criteria are:

1) You love the sound

2) The headphones will hold value or appreciate over time

 

Overrated or not is sort of irrelevant to me as long as they hold value or appreciate. Gold has no intrinsic value but people believe in it :)

post #997 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelet View Post

 

Gold has no intrinsic value but people believe in it :)

 

Totally different, though. You don't have to tell someone that headphones are good. They might not think they're worth what you paid (matter of priorities), but quality sound is quality sound. Gold is just a shiny rock. You have to be told that it's worth more than a different rock. Same with gemstones. This is more like food or film. 

 

Keep in mind this thread isn't about pissing in anyone's corn flakes, it's just idle discussion. If anyone's so bothered by it, they need to lighten up. 

post #998 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelet View Post
 

Gold has no intrinsic value but people believe in it :)

True, but it also doesn't sound very good.

post #999 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post



lol - this is epic biggrin.gif
post #1000 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelet View Post

I think 2 most important criteria are:
1) You love the sound
2) The headphones will hold value or appreciate over time

Overrated or not is sort of irrelevant to me as long as they hold value or appreciate. Gold has no intrinsic value but people believe in it smily_headphones1.gif

That's an interesting criteria you have that headphone will hold value or appreciate over time - I don't think I've heard this before as a criteria for buying any headphone from any member before (not that I'm saying it's wrong in any way).

Is this because you get bored with sticking with one can for prolonged time and look to trade it on without making a loss on your initial outlay?

I thought most cans depreciated in value except rare summit-fi out of production models able to hold their original retail price on the second user market and ever rarer to find models that actually gained value?
Edited by cb3723 - 6/15/14 at 1:11pm
post #1001 of 1102

Traded my Hifiman HE-400(1163 pages of gush)had them for over a year! For the  Audio Technica ATHW1000X(123 pages)had them for 7 days and to me a far superior headphone in looks, comfort and SQ.

post #1002 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattlethief View Post
 

Traded my Hifiman HE-400(1163 pages of gush)had them for over a year! For the  Audio Technica ATHW1000X(123 pages)had them for 7 days and to me a far superior headphone in looks, comfort and SQ.


EUREKA!!!!!!

 

cattlethief has just discovered The Ultimate Headphone Quality Metric....

 

Pages of Gush!

 

I shall set aside my laborious statistical analysis of "Rank the Headphones That You Own" at the foot of my signature block, and instead compute the POG (Pages of Gush) metric for each popular headphone.

 

How could I have missed this!!!??

post #1003 of 1102
😂 glad to help!
post #1004 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post


That's an interesting criteria you have that headphone will hold value or appreciate over time - I don't think I've heard this before as a criteria for buying any headphone from any member before (not that I'm saying it's wrong in any way).

Is this because you get bored with sticking with one can for prolonged time and look to trade it on without making a loss on your initial outlay?

I thought most cans depreciated in value except rare summit-fi out of production models able to hold their original retail price on the second user market and ever rarer to find models that actually gained value?

 

Do we mean literally monetary appreciation/depreciation? If so, I find that a terribly flawed piece of logic because the headphones that depreciate most over time are any headphones where the company upgrades their lines. 

 

I'm also not a big fan of the "hours per dollar" metric (not mentioned above, but it's common) because if you're a music lover, you're going to be listening to music as much as possible regardless of the quality of the headphone. If you're listening to music for 5 hours a day, you'll be doing that with your (insert $100 headphones) or your (insert flagship), but by math it would take you far longer for the latter to be "worth it" in the way of the former even though you'll be enjoying the latter significantly more. 

 

To me, "overrated" is simply a case of a person being severely surprised by the amount of praise Product X gets. I'm not a huge fan of the LCD2, but I don't think they're overrated. They're phenomenal products, just not my style. Same with the Grado flagships or the HiFiMan. I don't think the praise for them is unwarranted. Meanwhile, stack that against something like the Mikros 90 or the M50 and I find the way they're held in such regard like gemstones to be baffling for what I believe to be "pretty good" quality. I think both of them are worth the money and if that was my budget range they'd be on my list (though probably not what I'd buy), but the praise heaped upon them is bizarre, as though no other headphones exist at those price points. 

 

There is no universally loved or universally reviled headphone, every product has its fans and its detractors. Overrated is, by its very nature, subjective because the concept of "rating" is subjective. 

post #1005 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

Do we mean literally monetary appreciation/depreciation? If so, I find that a terribly flawed piece of logic because the headphones that depreciate most over time are any headphones where the company upgrades their lines. 

I'm also not a big fan of the "hours per dollar" metric (not mentioned above, but it's common) because if you're a music lover, you're going to be listening to music as much as possible regardless of the quality of the headphone. If you're listening to music for 5 hours a day, you'll be doing that with your (insert $100 headphones) or your (insert flagship), but by math it would take you far longer for the latter to be "worth it" in the way of the former even though you'll be enjoying the latter significantly more. 

To me, "overrated" is simply a case of a person being severely surprised by the amount of praise Product X gets. I'm not a huge fan of the LCD2, but I don't think they're overrated. They're phenomenal products, just not my style. Same with the Grado flagships or the HiFiMan. I don't think the praise for them is unwarranted. Meanwhile, stack that against something like the Mikros 90 or the M50 and I find the way they're held in such regard like gemstones to be baffling for what I believe to be "pretty good" quality. I think both of them are worth the money and if that was my budget range they'd be on my list (though probably not what I'd buy), but the praise heaped upon them is bizarre, as though no other headphones exist at those price points. 

There is no universally loved or universally reviled headphone, every product has its fans and its detractors. Overrated is, by its very nature, subjective because the concept of "rating" is subjective. 

Yes, in monetary terms, well that's how I understood the members post I was replying to anyway.

I was replying to the below member comment that their two most important criteria (for buying a headphone) included "The headphones will hold value or appreciate over time" and how I thought such criteria unusual.

Unless you are looking to buy Sennheiser Orpheus or a few select other cans, I can't see much else ever holding or appreciating in value, and this type of criteria is not something that comes to my mind when I'm considering a new headphone, and I wouldn't expect many others would either?


Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelet View Post

I think 2 most important criteria are:
1) You love the sound
2) The headphones will hold value or appreciate over time

Overrated or not is sort of irrelevant to me as long as they hold value or appreciate. Gold has no intrinsic value but people believe in it smily_headphones1.gif

Or have I misunderstood what wavelet was saying? confused_face_2.gif
Edited by cb3723 - 6/15/14 at 5:04pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most overrated headphones?