Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most overrated headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most overrated headphones? - Page 64

post #946 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Grados are probably the last can I'd suggest to use for classical wink.gif. IMO they don't have the sound stage and are too coloured.

Oh, my mistake, the video I'd watched on YT ages ago I thought was playing classical, but it's actually Celtic Violin music -? - just a violin playing I guess by the sounds of it - this video is a little weird - I think the guy is trying to show case his Allessandro MS Pro cans off - the sound quality, but I'm not too sure if he succeeds confused_face_2.gif


Check the video below it shows you where Grado's are actually made -what looks like a crack house, off a crack users alley somewhere in Brooklyn (New York, USA) that's outside has been graffiti covered! It's like just a bunch of people working in a garage - and some of the machinery they use is from the 1950's! It just doesn't look that professional to me but I guess they are doing something right to have such loyal followers, just weird to see the run down building these cans originate from. But I like the fact they make all their product in the USA and it's a family run business. I guess Grado's have an organic method to manufacture - maybe they just need to do some dusting and general tidy up and keep pet dogs out the way - nobody wants dog hairs in their drivers - lol smily_headphones1.gif


Edit - according to this review, classical music genre is recommended for Grado RS1i headphone?

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/grado-rs1i-review.html
Edited by cb3723 - 6/13/14 at 12:59pm
post #947 of 1099

TBH the way Grado does it is a huge reason why I've been dangerously close to buying a pair despite having zero plans on wearing them, LOL. I love that it's all by hand at the home business. 

post #948 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

TBH the way Grado does it is a huge reason why I've been dangerously close to buying a pair despite having zero plans on wearing them, LOL. I love that it's all by hand at the home business. 


A Pair of Grado PS500s

post #949 of 1099

I don't think Grado's are overrated at all, they have a very unique sound that works really well with rock/industrial/metal. Their entry level gives quite the bang for the buck.  But if you are getting them for other types of music you may be disappointed.

What makes them so good with some types of music makes them sound harsh or over the top with others.

 

I've owned a number of Grado's over the years, including when I use to DJ in the 80's/early 90's. My mix was New Wave/Alternative/Industrial/Techno. I was looking for a more harder edge dance/rock sound within the club, sort of how one would play records in their living room for friends but keep them dancing, and trying to stay away from that "canned" sound heard in so many clubs at that time. The dance night at the club I worked at was quite successful, we had nights where people were literally lining up out side to get in, and the club held 800 people. 

So I owe a lot to those headphones that made me the DJ that I was at the time. 

 

Granted, I only own one pair today, and rarely use them.

post #950 of 1099

Isn't it funny how you don't think a headphone you enjoy is overrated? ;)

 

This thread title should really be "What headphone do you not like" not "What headphone is overrated"

post #951 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlowfi View Post
 

Isn't it funny how you don't think a headphone you enjoy is overrated? ;)

 

This thread title should really be "What headphone do you not like" not "What headphone is overrated"

Good point.   "Headphones I do not like" is a personal assessment that no one else can assail.  When it becomes "headphone that is overrated,"  you expand that declaration from yourself to headphone users at large, and some of them object at your presumption.*

 

*(This essentially meaningless post of assent is intended to help me to become a headphone expert by increasing my post count on head-fi.org, which if I keep it up will make me so smart that I will earn the title "Headphonus Supremus" and get a key to the head-fi castle!  Then maybe people will listen to me and I might even get free headphones in the mail!)


Edited by kayandjohn - 6/13/14 at 10:18am
post #952 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlowfi View Post
 

Isn't it funny how you don't think a headphone you enjoy is overrated? ;)

 

This thread title should really be "What headphone do you not like" not "What headphone is overrated"

 

Plenty of headphones I like are overrated. The Mikros 90 is a good example. It's a fine product and well worth $100, but the fanaticism around it is crazy balls. They ain't THAT good. 

 

Remember, the concept of being "overrated" is predicated upon one's opinion of a product being less than that of the public at large, ergo the end result is "negative" (in no small part because the justification thereof must be done with critical terms). 

 

"Overrated" means "isn't as good as everyone says it is", so observing that people are bringing up products they don't like is rather pointless and no-duh obvious. 

post #953 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 

Which headphones are most overrated? Anything from Grado. Audio Technica ATH-M50s are pretty overrated, too, but to be fair, I'd recommend them at ~$120.

I'd take the ATH-M50S over any Beats headphone. The Beats flagship (the Beats Pro) is pretty damned underwhelming and at $450 is outrageous when the ATH-M50S sounds better and can be had for $120.

post #954 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachoo5 View Post

I'd take the ATH-M50S over any Beats headphone. The Beats flagship (the Beats Pro) is pretty damned underwhelming and at $450 is outrageous when the ATH-M50S sounds better and can be had for $120.

I disagree, as the Beats Pro sounds fine when amped, and better than the M50, but they are a hilariously bad value at 400. The good thing is used ones are about as much as the M50.
post #955 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Plenty of headphones I like are overrated. The Mikros 90 is a good example. It's a fine product and well worth $100, but the fanaticism around it is crazy balls. They ain't THAT good. 

 

Remember, the concept of being "overrated" is predicated upon one's opinion of a product being less than that of the public at large, ergo the end result is "negative" (in no small part because the justification thereof must be done with critical terms). 

 

"Overrated" means "isn't as good as everyone says it is", so observing that people are bringing up products they don't like is rather pointless and no-duh obvious. 

 

Personally I find your distinction between "this is overrated" and "I don't like this headphone" pretty vacuous. Your notion that "overrated" is comparing to the public's opinion at large, well, for virtually any headphone in existence you will find a "portion of the public" that either likes or dislikes that headphone. Whether you agree or not is largely predicated on whether you personally like the headphone or not, and agree with the particular subset of the population who likes the headphone or the subset who doesn't.

 

Like the previous poster said, assuming you can make a determination of whether a headphone is overrated is making the leap from just admitting you have an opinion to making a judgement that everyone else's opinion of the headphone must be somehow wrong (largely because of your opinion, which is somehow more authoritative than the group who appreciates said headphone).

 

I think the thread would be more honest if it was simply titled "what headphones don't you like".

post #956 of 1099

I'd say full sized closed headphones in general. They are big and huge which doesn't make them very portable, yet they don't offer added sound quality over IEM (i find the sound quality sub par actually in comparison to IEM's). I'm still trying to find a closed headphone that destroys my Shure SE846 and makes the added bulk and reduced portability justifiability. I'm afraid it's going to cost alot of money. 

post #957 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post

Good point.   "Headphones I do not like" is a personal assessment that no one else can assail.  When it becomes "headphone that is overrated,"  you expand that declaration from yourself to headphone users at large, and some of them object at your presumption.*

*(This essentially meaningless post of assent is intended to help me to become a headphone expert by increasing my post count on head-fi.org, which if I keep it up will make me so smart that I will earn the title "Headphonus Supremus" and get a key to the head-fi castle!  Then maybe people will listen to me and I might even get free headphones in the mail!)

That's been my plan from the start as I've heard that once title of "supremos" is awarded you get password to access head-fi algorithm that you direct stream into your rig which takes listening to your favourite music listened through your cans to a whole new level - like a mega boost of ultra hi-fi supreme musicality...

...rumour has it that the experience is like pouring liquid gold champagne into your ears!

...and that's gotta be worth the knocks on the route to sonic supremos salvation?

LoL biggrin.gif

Oh, and getting free summit-fi cans sent on tap is also a big plus too wink.gif
Edited by cb3723 - 6/13/14 at 1:13pm
post #958 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachoo5 View Post

I'd take the ATH-M50S over any Beats headphone. The Beats flagship (the Beats Pro) is pretty damned underwhelming and at $450 is outrageous when the ATH-M50S sounds better and can be had for $120.

Ive the Audio Technica M50 and Beats Pro (DETOX - which is all black with Detox in white on headband - which makes them sound better than standard pros of course wink.gif) and without hesitation I can tell you that out of the two I predominantly reach for the Detox.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how many positively gush over the M50 - it's a very adept all rounder used as a budget studio monitor by many and can be picked up at an amazingly accessible price - very good value for your monies for sure.


The build of the M50's isn't anywhere near the robust of the Pro's, but that's nothing unexpected due to the gulf in price variance between them, but I personally find the M50's a little bland where the Detox just rocks a better more fun and lively sound to my ears.

I've got to say, from my personal experience the M50's are an overrated can frown.gif the high praise to performance ratio just doesn't equate for me.

*And of course I wouldn't be seen dead out in public with my M50's as Audio Technica just hasn't got the kudos badge that beats envokes - especially the Don that is the mighty DETOX cool.gifrolleyes.gifwink.gif

* OJ biggrin.gif

I can tell you what I think is a better can than the M50 and the same if not lower cost - the Pro700MK2 - I ordered a pair earlier in the week and they just turned up today and I'm listening to Ibiza Cream on them now - superb bass produced out of their 53mm Mylar drivers and I think they have a wider frequency range than the M50's, two removable cables and better passive noise isolation - these things give a lot of bang for your buck and definitely a winner for any discerning basshead cool.gif
Edited by cb3723 - 6/13/14 at 1:49pm
post #959 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlowfi View Post
 

 

Personally I find your distinction between "this is overrated" and "I don't like this headphone" pretty vacuous. Your notion that "overrated" is comparing to the public's opinion at large, well, for virtually any headphone in existence you will find a "portion of the public" that either likes or dislikes that headphone. Whether you agree or not is largely predicated on whether you personally like the headphone or not, and agree with the particular subset of the population who likes the headphone or the subset who doesn't.

 

Like the previous poster said, assuming you can make a determination of whether a headphone is overrated is making the leap from just admitting you have an opinion to making a judgement that everyone else's opinion of the headphone must be somehow wrong (largely because of your opinion, which is somehow more authoritative than the group who appreciates said headphone).

 

I think the thread would be more honest if it was simply titled "what headphones don't you like".

 

It's not vacuous at all. Overrated means the general opinion of said headphone, or at least by its fans, is that it is very good and you, the poster in this thread, disagree. It is recognizing that your opinion runs counter to the larger opinion, and if you are so insecure that you get in a twist because of someone calling your precious babies "overrated" then the problem is on your end.

 

A thread of "what headphones don't you like" would be just a thread of people talking about ANY headphones they dislike, from cheap Skullcandy to whatever. That's why this is more interesting, it's people who have an opinion that runs counter to the general one, and it opens up discussion.

 

No one said anyone's opinion is wrong. Settle down. Overrated means your opinion is different from most.

 

What's saddest is listening to people whose egos are so fragile that they force others to scream OPINION OPINION OPINION all over the place as though that wasn't OBVIOUS already. It's a forum. Quite literally everything we say is opinion. That's how "discussion" works. :rolleyes: 

post #960 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post
 

I'd say full sized closed headphones in general. They are big and huge which doesn't make them very portable, yet they don't offer added sound quality over IEM (i find the sound quality sub par actually in comparison to IEM's). I'm still trying to find a closed headphone that destroys my Shure SE846 and makes the added bulk and reduced portability justifiability. I'm afraid it's going to cost alot of money. 

 

Well you're starting out with the SE846 which means you'll need a huge flagship over-ear. When your baseline is a $1,000 product you can't exactly expect any old thing to top it.

 

I will say that something magical like, say, the Pandora Hope VI (man I gotta stop pimping these) offer a level of full, all-encompassing sound that I can't imagine an IEM touching. I have the SE535s which are just liquid happy dripping in my earholes but the feel of sound that's actually vibrating against the side of your head is just unable to be replaced.

 

I mean, honestly, if we all had the money and resources I think it's well agreed that being able to fill the room up with your music would be optimal, but that's so insanely cost prohibitive. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most overrated headphones?