or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most overrated headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most overrated headphones? - Page 61

post #901 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

Is there any praise for these to begin with? My review of them was pretty scathing, as were a few others I've seen; one was actually directed to Velodyne. I have two of them now because of weird circumstances, and they just gather dust.

You've 2 sets of vTrue?

How vOdd!

biggrin.gif
post #902 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post


You've 2 sets of vTrue?

How vOdd!

biggrin.gif

 

Hmm, I didn't know they actually got attention.

 

And yeah, one pair sounds worse (somehow) than the other.

 

EDIT: Reading the Ken Rockwell review now. These definitely don't feel like $1000 (one of the adjusters is stuck on my worse pair), but it's kind of damning when he says the V6 sounds better.


Edited by Ishcabible - 6/11/14 at 11:09pm
post #903 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

Hmm, I didn't know they actually got attention.

And yeah, one pair sounds worse (somehow) than the other.

EDIT: Reading the Ken Rockwell review now. These definitely don't feel like $1000 (one of the adjusters is stuck on my worse pair), but it's kind of damning when he says the V6 sounds better.

Yeah, the Ken Rockwell review is one of the more accurate reviews I can relate with.

With regards, reviews of the glowing type, - try this one:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2013/08/07/velodyne-vtrue-headphones-review/
post #904 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post


Yeah, the Ken Rockwell review is one of the more accurate reviews I can relate with.
 

 

-Keep in mind, though, that Ken Rockwell's business idea appears to be to post highly opinionated reviews and comments, often presenting opinion as fact - bound to cause much debate in the various online forums, in turn causing a lot of hits to his website and the ad revenue which goes along with it.

 

(I'm as guilty as anybody - but after dropping by his site occasionally for several years, I now read him mostly for his entertainment value, not to gain any insights... (I've spent most of my time reading his Nikon/Leica reviews, perhaps I should check out more of his audio reviews, too.))

post #905 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddE View Post

-Keep in mind, though, that Ken Rockwell's business idea appears to be to post highly opinionated reviews and comments, often presenting opinion as fact - bound to cause much debate in the various online forums, in turn causing a lot of hits to his website and the ad revenue which goes along with it.

(I'm as guilty as anybody - but after dropping by his site occasionally for several years, I now read him mostly for his entertainment value, not to gain any insights... (I've spent most of my time reading his Nikon/Leica reviews, perhaps I should check out more of his audio reviews, too.))

That's a very valid point that I'd not considered before until you highlighted such, and I have to say I agree on in retrospect.

I do agree with many of the points of his vTrue review but he is indeed opinionated to the degree of being quite entertaining, for better or worse, but I guess we all gotta eat?

lol biggrin.gif
post #906 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post


That's a very valid point that I'd not considered before until you highlighted such, and I have to say I agree on in retrospect.

I do agree with many of the points of his vTrue review but he is indeed opinionated to the degree of being quite entertaining, for better or worse, but I guess we all gotta eat?

lol biggrin.gif

 

Plus, let's admit, opinionated more reviews are often more useful simply by virtue of getting people to hear what you're saying. Dumb as it sounds, I've gotten more use out of Zero Punctuation reviews than any other source. 

post #907 of 1184
Deleted - double posted in error
Edited by cb3723 - 6/12/14 at 8:50am
post #908 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

Plus, let's admit, opinionated more reviews are often more useful simply by virtue of getting people to hear what you're saying. Dumb as it sounds, I've gotten more use out of Zero Punctuation reviews than any other source. 

HaHa - that may be true for a lot of reviews - there may be a formula to follow in that:

zero punctuation reviews = higher probability of a more reliable, less sensationalist, lesser chance of reviewer having a conflict of interest ie commercial gain, type of review in general?

I'm sure somebody could add subtract or polish my proposed formula up to a handy one that could be stickied to head-fi's home page - lol biggrin.gif

So what Grado cans are you thinking of investing in?

The PS-1000?

Just be sure they aren't overrated lol wink.gif

Apparently, according to Steve Guttenberg of c/net, the Grado PS-1000's are a "game changer" - but he says that about virtually every "summit-fi" can he reviews.

Wish I'd thought up above formula earlier as I could have by-passed Guttenbergs usual gushes of little substance rolleyes.gif

PS I've heard the 1000 are Grado tongue.gif

Don't tell me - it's not the PS-1000's you are considering redface.gif
Edited by cb3723 - 6/12/14 at 8:55am
post #909 of 1184
Basically all of the new beats. People are saying "oh my god they're so much better!" And after owning the mixrs for a couple days and testing the others. I'm not seeing it. Before, beats could be compared to like headphones 20% of their price. Now...maybe 30%.

I don't get what the big deal is.
post #910 of 1184

As much as I like the new Studios, I can't say the same about the Mixrs. I thought they were uncomfortable and sounded quite off.

post #911 of 1184

Oh, I totally agree about the Velodyne earbuds. They are HORRIBLE. I bought them because people said they had such good bass and even had REAL subbass..complete NONSENSE. The bass is non-existant in the vPulse. I get better bass out of my $20 VSonic GR02s.  

post #912 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapster View Post

Basically all of the new beats. People are saying "oh my god they're so much better!" And after owning the mixrs for a couple days and testing the others. I'm not seeing it. Before, beats could be compared to like headphones 20% of their price. Now...maybe 30%.

I don't get what the big deal is.
I think it is only the Beats Studio, the Beats Studio Wireless, the HeartBeats IEMs, and (as of just last week) the Beats Solo that have been updated over the past year. I think that both the Beats Pro and the Beats Mixr are still in their original version.
post #913 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post

Good marketing could never sell a product that is so universally slagged off by "audiophiles" - the inconvenient truth to why you see so many people with this particular brand is partly due to them actually sounding very good. Beats sound has moved up from its early days of "muddy bass" - and as mud sticks - so has this MB soundbite stuck with Beats haters, and audio snobs largely without a clue.
That doesn't sit comfortably to fact that beats has 60% domestic market share on headphones retailing over $100.
His beats day job netted him a personal fortune of $600 million USD - I'd say dre could quit work any day - not like he needs the pay.

Audiophile Journalist reviews beats studio 2.0!
WARNING - some viewers may find the content disturbing


Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post

The video is Great! Who is the "Part Time Audiophile??"

I've found I choose from one set of headphones when I plan to listen to mainly synthetic or electronic music, such as hip-hop, electronica, etc.  These tend to be bass-heavy headphones.  I choose from another set for natural acoustic music, e.g., jazz trios, vocalist with accompaniment, string quartets,etc.

Two days ago I had been listening to the former category with the latter category headphones and realized I wanted to switch, so I thought, "Hey I haven't listened with my 4-month-old NAD VISO hp50s for a while," so I used them.

After a bit of listening, I thought the bass sounded a bit muffled, so I then put on my Beats Pro... WAY better!  Yes, really, at least for me.

I realized I had hardly ever been using my hp50s... I go to the open headphones (Gradp PS500, Sennheiser HD 598s, and most recently, HiFiMAN HE-500), for the acoustic music, and one of my Beats (Pro, Studio 2013 as reviewed above, Studio 2013 wireless, or HeartBeats IEMs) for synthetic / bass music.  NAD hp50s, which are closed like the Beats, had neither the good bass of the Beats nor the open sound of the Grado, Sennheiser, or HiFiMAN.

So I traded them away, for a (presumably... don't have them yet - still on the way) higher quality bass-rich IEM (T-PEOS H200).

The NAD VISO hp50s were featured on the innerfidelity.com "Wall of Fame," then featured again as one of the headphones that had the unique frequency response that researchers at Harmon Kardon found from user tests of speaker listening was most appealing.  But for me, they did not add to my headphone experience.

So for me... the NAD VISO hp50 was my most overrated headphone.  The HiFiMAN HE-500s, on the other hand, are the only ones that can both provide the airy high frequency transparency I look for in acoustic music AND the visceral, palpable bass that I enjoy in the synthetic music.   Quite a find, for me!  And I think that the NAD VISO hp50 would be excellent for use as a single headphone across most music types in situations that required a closed headphone (i.e., when you do not wish to hear or be heard by others).  It could do "OK" in both domains, but not do the bass as well as the bass headphones I mentioned nor the treble characteristics as the open headphones I use.
beats... Decent enough as I said, but its mainly advertising CB that got them their fortune. Sound was a factor, but they also had some of the best advertising campaigns I've ever seen. Otherwise, we'd see other brands more often if it was mainly sound quality. Its not. The only company that rivals beats in advertising is apple... But now apple owns beats, so that's that... And is this your new beats thread? Because I think we have one already... Hint hint. And, I don't like beats for electronic as much as my AKG's surprisingly... You'd expect it to be the other way around. biggrin.gif
post #914 of 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post



beats... Decent enough as I said, but its mainly advertising CB that got them their fortune. Sound was a factor, but they also had some of the best advertising campaigns I've ever seen. Otherwise, we'd see other brands more often if it was mainly sound quality. Its not. The only company that rivals beats in advertising is apple... But now apple owns beats, so that's that... And is this your new beats thread? Because I think we have one already... Hint hint. And, I don't like beats for electronic as much as my AKG's surprisingly... You'd expect it to be the other way around. biggrin.gif


Hmm... AKG for electronic... I just got a pair of AKG K712s and have a good amp - I'll try that.

 

What is an electronic song you find sounds great on your AKGs?  (I can get nearly anything on my B**ts Music subscription service (trying to keep this from being a Beats thread!)).

post #915 of 1184

Do people really have a hard time understanding WHY they're the target of hate & criticism? Wasn't it the same for Bose when they were the ones hocking "audiophile" stuff that was both overpriced and sub-par in terms of actual quality? The big company that shamelessly panders to a mass-consumer demo and basically exploits the concept of an expert - in this case, the "audiophile" - to the uninformed is always going to get heat from the community being exploited, even if they make some stuff that is relatively decent (tho still overpriced). 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most overrated headphones?