- 190 Posts. Joined 9/2010
- Location: So cal
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 3/29/11
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by System, 6/3/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/30/10
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/30/10
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- productSony MDR R10tagged by System, 8/30/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 8/30/10
Related Forum Threads
- ATH M-50 L/R flipped Last post on 4/9/13 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770/80? (Currently have ATH-M50) Last post on 7/19/11 at 10:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphones represent the best qualities of each brand (or series)? Last post on 5/31/11 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Noob about to get ATH-M50s... Ready for sonic bliss! Last post on 5/5/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggest me a replacement for my ATH-M50's (something like AKG-K701) Last post on 9/14/12 at 1:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Considering the poor review level here I felt I had to post a review: I spent some time checking reviews of these AKG K451 headphones, and found conflicting comments. What I can do is confirm...
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
Most overrated headphones? - Page 51post #751 of 8494/5/13 at 9:05pmSo one is metal and one is plastic? Another one is wood, another carbon fiber. It isn't what the material is, it's how it's made and put together, and how it is tuned to the driver.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #752 of 8494/5/13 at 9:08pm
Ok, this is my comment about the AKG Q701: It felt cheap. No further discussion to change my mind. The Mad Dogs don't feel cheap, the DT880's don't feel cheap, and the Heir Audio 4.Ai's don't feel cheap.post #753 of 8494/5/13 at 9:26pm
And they're overrated because?
They feel "cheap" because they're light. The T50RP is heavy because its headband is metal. The K701 is so light because of its design. The outer ring portion doesn't seem to serve much use other than help to increase the earpad's diameter. The driver fires back into the section immediately behind it. The headband's probably what's tipping you off to the cheap feeling because a lot of the weight in most other headphones actually is in the headband, if not the cups, which are basically nonexistent on the K70X. Since they have neither, they're awfully light.post #754 of 8494/5/13 at 9:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ishcabible
And they're overrated because?
They feel "cheap" because they're light. The T50RP is heavy because its headband is metal. The K701 is so light because of its design. The outer ring portion doesn't seem to serve much use other than help to increase the earpad's diameter. The driver fires back into the section immediately behind it. The headband's probably what's tipping you off to the cheap feeling because a lot of the weight in most other headphones actually is in the headband, if not the cups, which are basically nonexistent on the K70X. Since they have neither, they're awfully light.
I never said they were overrated. I just said they felt cheap. None of you are going to change my opinion, this is from personal experiance.post #755 of 8494/5/13 at 9:42pm
I'm not saying you said it, I'm saying the title is
Most overrated headphones?
So saying they're cheap-feeling isn't really relevant, even though they were talking about the K701 right before your post.
Edited by Ishcabible - 4/5/13 at 9:44pmpost #756 of 8494/5/13 at 9:52pmQuote:
Sorry, I was out of linepost #757 of 8494/5/13 at 10:26pmAnd quite frankly the light weight design is very nice and appreciated for long listening sessions. Their clamp, and resting pressure is non existent. The weight of the cord is really the only "weight" to these. They're far from being cheap in build quality.post #758 of 8494/6/13 at 12:17ampost #759 of 8494/6/13 at 6:56am
For some reason my pair clamps enough to make my temples hurt after a while. But like other people said, with a warm amp, light EQ, and some modding, they're quite nice.post #760 of 8494/6/13 at 11:19ampost #761 of 8494/6/13 at 5:06pmI'm in no means an Audiophile, and I haven't tried a huge range of headphones, I honestly think that the MDR-v300 headphones from Sony are very overrated. Not the most overrated headphones ever, but when I posted a review of them on YouTube, I got a lot of comments from people saying that they love them, they're comfortable, worth the price ETC when in my opinion they are uncomfortable and sound like crap.
I didn't mention Beats because I don't consider them as headphones but rather I consider them as Plastic Neck Warmers, for fashion purposes.post #762 of 8494/6/13 at 5:31pmpost #763 of 8494/6/13 at 6:02pmQuote:
I always wanted to be able to put headphone around the neck, but it fails with the two portable one I have.post #764 of 8494/6/13 at 6:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by GSYoni
I'm in no means an Audiophile, and I haven't tried a huge range of headphones, I honestly think that the MDR-v300 headphones from Sony are very overrated. Not the most overrated headphones ever, but when I posted a review of them on YouTube, I got a lot of comments from people saying that they love them, they're comfortable, worth the price ETC when in my opinion they are uncomfortable and sound like crap.
Haha. That's the pair I'm wearing right now and have been using for about ten years. Got them as a lowly teenager because they were on sale. I don't have much else to say, it's just that it's the first time I've seen anyone mention them on here. Hoping to replace them soon with something Head-Fi-approved.post #765 of 8494/6/13 at 6:35pm
Currently highly recommended for rock music due to its strong bass presence and bright highs/dark mids, I felt like it was rather dull to listen to and lacked engagement. While it sounded great on electronica, it doesn't deserve to be considered a great choice for rock or aggressive music.
- Most overrated headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 14 seconds ago
- › The Basshead Club 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 3 minutes ago
- › Enter to win a Bowie-Inspired MOMENTUM Headphone from Sennheiser... 3 minutes ago
- › New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC" 3 minutes ago
- › New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 4 minutes ago
- › Not able to edit community profile or account info <- Read your... 4 minutes ago
- › Unofficial V-MODA XL Pads thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Newbie looking for IEMs for commute that make female vocals perfect! 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by subwoofer
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude