Ath-M50 hands down
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 3/29/11
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 6/3/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/30/10
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/30/10
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- productSony MDR R10tagged by System, 8/30/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 8/30/10
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones represent the best qualities of each brand (or series)? Last post on 5/31/11 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M-50 L/R flipped Last post on 4/9/13 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770/80? (Currently have ATH-M50) Last post on 7/19/11 at 10:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Noob about to get ATH-M50s... Ready for sonic bliss! Last post on 5/5/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggest me a replacement for my ATH-M50's (something like AKG-K701) Last post on 4/2/14 at 1:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my first review and it's going to be brief...Never in my life have I been so damn impressed with an audio product (I have a bunch) than I am with my Custom K10's!!! There is not 1 thing...
INTRODUCTION Hello again guys, I am Areek Nibras, a junior Head-fier and a recently graduated physician from Bangladesh, currently doing post-graduation training in Internal medicine. Today I will...
I picked up these for my wife. I thought that since she is more of an average listener (not too concerned with audio), the V-shaped sound might be acceptable or even preferred. I gave them a listen...
I got to listen to these for a couple weeks as part of the USA tour, with the requirement that I write a review and pay to ship them to the next participant. I am not affiliated with, and was not...
Introduction: I have had the chance to listen to the HD800 a few times at local Head-Fi meets. However, I have never got a good chance to listen to them, either the person who owned them...
Most overrated headphones? - Page 42post #616 of 11439/19/12 at 5:04pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #617 of 11439/22/12 at 2:34ampost #618 of 11439/22/12 at 2:38ampost #619 of 11439/22/12 at 3:23ampost #620 of 11439/22/12 at 3:27amQuote:
Over on another forum I post on these are like the most recommended headphone. To me, they don't sound any different from the cheapo headphones that are labeled with "extra bass", but only have the illusion of more bass because of their highly recessed mids and highs.post #621 of 11439/22/12 at 3:39am
I feel like if anything most Shures are underrated. Their style factor hovers around zero, so they never get quite as much attention as the headphones that have both style and sound (Beyer, AKG, boutique wood stuff, etc.). This tends to be Shure's trademark across all of its product lines though. IMO they have the best price/quality ratio in both headphones and microphones but man is their marketing/style approach dry....post #622 of 11439/22/12 at 3:47am
Sorry to say it since they're something of a Head-Fi success story, but I find the FA-003/HM5/XPT100/etc. to be pretty overrated.
Yes, they're flat, but ultimately why is flat generally considered good? Because theoretically, without one frequency dominating the others, you can hear more detail. The "studio" sound.
The problem is that the HM5s/clones are pretty much devoid of detail and seem to achieve their flat-ness by throwing a lead blanket over the entire frequency range so that no stray/rogue responses might rise too high. "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak.The result is a headphone that sounds groggy and congested, like it just got out of bed with allergies.
Edited by machoboy - 9/22/12 at 3:50ampost #623 of 11439/22/12 at 7:29am
it's funny people say the ATH M50 is so overrated. i think as a budget headphone for around 100 USD, it's pretty damn good. also the k70x. i don't think they are "over rated", i just think they end up being something many people do not enjoy because of their flat, analytical sound. i can definitely see why many would dislike this property, there is nothing "fun" about them. but for what they are (analytical, flat, linear etc), they're definitely NOT overrated.post #624 of 11439/22/12 at 7:50amQuote:Originally Posted by yepimonfire
it's funny people say the ATH M50 is so overrated. i think as a budget headphone for around 100 USD, it's pretty damn good. also the k70x. i don't think they are "over rated", i just think they end up being something many people do not enjoy because of their flat, analytical sound. i can definitely see why many would dislike this property, there is nothing "fun" about them. but for what they are (analytical, flat, linear etc), they're definitely NOT overrated.
It is a great budget headphone. I think the problem with it though is that it's become sort of an automatic response for anyone looking for a budget headphone. It's definitely not the only one out there, and doesn't suit everyone's needs and wants.post #625 of 11439/22/12 at 8:58amQuote:
Phonak PFE232, PFE112 (which I own)
Westone 4, UM3X (also heard the W2, nice mids, highs not my cup of tea)
TF10, SM3 (TF10, good fun, SM3 ultra fun!)
HD800, HE400, DT990 (HD800 sensational resolution, mids and soundstage, brutal honest - HE400 great bass and dynamics but poor balancing - DT990 very good for the money, fun sounding)
The resolution of all Shure headphones I heard is nothing special. They sound harsh and unpleasant to me. The comfort is also not that great. Shure and I are incompatible.
Also heard the T1, they need an 100ohm output to sound "right". Soundstage smaller than HD800. A head-fi member said "sound uninvolving", he is right.post #626 of 11439/22/12 at 9:11am
please please please. don't search in sound quality for more bass or highs.... you must learn to listen to music in neutral way. like it should be.i heaven't heard sennheiser hd800 ... ,but my point of view is that they sound extraordinary!!! in fact i think that sennheiser HD800 are the best so far in commercial use.post #627 of 11439/22/12 at 11:05amQuote:Originally Posted by newmarko
please please please. don't search in sound quality for more bass or highs.... you must learn to listen to music in neutral way. like it should be.i heaven't heard sennheiser hd800 ... ,but my point of view is that they sound extraordinary!!! in fact i think that sennheiser HD800 are the best so far in commercial use.
the HD 800 aren't exactly neutral. they're on the bright side.post #628 of 11439/22/12 at 12:54pm
Definitely the ath m-50 for me. It has great bass no doubt, but the rest is just... out right bad. No sound stage, harsh and thin highs, worst vocal ever, even worse than the beats studio in this department.post #629 of 11439/22/12 at 9:37pmQuote:
Yeah, I thought I had some insane EQ on my MP3 player turn on when I first heard them...I kind of laughed and put them back after I noticed I didn't.post #630 of 11439/22/12 at 11:36pmQuote:
What other forum do you post on? I'd like to visit myself if you wouldn't mind.
On topic, I don't find the M50 or the TMA-1 overrated, they're quite good for what they're intended for - Studio and DJ use respectably Although, I will say the TMA lineup is overpriced by about $100.
What I did find overrated was the Audeze LCD-3 when a dealer had one in stock and I demoed it with a high-end Woo amp. Small soundstage and it leaks insanely. It also seemed to have a channel imbalance. The build and sound quality sure doesn't look like $2000. Chipping was also readily apparent from use on the wood cups and the clamping and weight distribution was uneven.
I gotta say that Steve Guttenburg must be insane recommending these for studio use. At the price and leakage one might as well buy some high-end speakers and save some money at the same time.
Edited by lubczyk - 9/23/12 at 1:07am
- Most overrated headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 15 seconds ago
- › Anyone have tips on recognizing a Fake IE80? 25 seconds ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 5 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 5 minutes ago
- › 2016 St. Louis Area Spring Meet - April 30, 2016 7 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › X-18 D2 - Sundown Audio 18" Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer by RockeyDA
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse