Ath-M50 hands down
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 3/29/11
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by System, 6/3/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/30/10
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/30/10
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- productSony MDR R10tagged by System, 8/30/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 8/30/10
Related Forum Threads
- ATH M-50 L/R flipped Last post on 4/9/13 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770/80? (Currently have ATH-M50) Last post on 7/19/11 at 10:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphones represent the best qualities of each brand (or series)? Last post on 5/31/11 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Noob about to get ATH-M50s... Ready for sonic bliss! Last post on 5/5/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggest me a replacement for my ATH-M50's (something like AKG-K701) Last post on 9/14/12 at 1:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Summary I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day. At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass...
Most overrated headphones? - Page 42post #616 of 8499/19/12 at 5:04pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #617 of 8499/22/12 at 2:34ampost #618 of 8499/22/12 at 2:38ampost #619 of 8499/22/12 at 3:23ampost #620 of 8499/22/12 at 3:27amQuote:
Over on another forum I post on these are like the most recommended headphone. To me, they don't sound any different from the cheapo headphones that are labeled with "extra bass", but only have the illusion of more bass because of their highly recessed mids and highs.post #621 of 8499/22/12 at 3:39am
I feel like if anything most Shures are underrated. Their style factor hovers around zero, so they never get quite as much attention as the headphones that have both style and sound (Beyer, AKG, boutique wood stuff, etc.). This tends to be Shure's trademark across all of its product lines though. IMO they have the best price/quality ratio in both headphones and microphones but man is their marketing/style approach dry....post #622 of 8499/22/12 at 3:47am
Sorry to say it since they're something of a Head-Fi success story, but I find the FA-003/HM5/XPT100/etc. to be pretty overrated.
Yes, they're flat, but ultimately why is flat generally considered good? Because theoretically, without one frequency dominating the others, you can hear more detail. The "studio" sound.
The problem is that the HM5s/clones are pretty much devoid of detail and seem to achieve their flat-ness by throwing a lead blanket over the entire frequency range so that no stray/rogue responses might rise too high. "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak.The result is a headphone that sounds groggy and congested, like it just got out of bed with allergies.
Edited by machoboy - 9/22/12 at 3:50ampost #623 of 8499/22/12 at 7:29am
it's funny people say the ATH M50 is so overrated. i think as a budget headphone for around 100 USD, it's pretty damn good. also the k70x. i don't think they are "over rated", i just think they end up being something many people do not enjoy because of their flat, analytical sound. i can definitely see why many would dislike this property, there is nothing "fun" about them. but for what they are (analytical, flat, linear etc), they're definitely NOT overrated.post #624 of 8499/22/12 at 7:50amQuote:Originally Posted by yepimonfire
it's funny people say the ATH M50 is so overrated. i think as a budget headphone for around 100 USD, it's pretty damn good. also the k70x. i don't think they are "over rated", i just think they end up being something many people do not enjoy because of their flat, analytical sound. i can definitely see why many would dislike this property, there is nothing "fun" about them. but for what they are (analytical, flat, linear etc), they're definitely NOT overrated.
It is a great budget headphone. I think the problem with it though is that it's become sort of an automatic response for anyone looking for a budget headphone. It's definitely not the only one out there, and doesn't suit everyone's needs and wants.post #625 of 8499/22/12 at 8:58amQuote:
Phonak PFE232, PFE112 (which I own)
Westone 4, UM3X (also heard the W2, nice mids, highs not my cup of tea)
TF10, SM3 (TF10, good fun, SM3 ultra fun!)
HD800, HE400, DT990 (HD800 sensational resolution, mids and soundstage, brutal honest - HE400 great bass and dynamics but poor balancing - DT990 very good for the money, fun sounding)
The resolution of all Shure headphones I heard is nothing special. They sound harsh and unpleasant to me. The comfort is also not that great. Shure and I are incompatible.
Also heard the T1, they need an 100ohm output to sound "right". Soundstage smaller than HD800. A head-fi member said "sound uninvolving", he is right.post #626 of 8499/22/12 at 9:11am
please please please. don't search in sound quality for more bass or highs.... you must learn to listen to music in neutral way. like it should be.i heaven't heard sennheiser hd800 ... ,but my point of view is that they sound extraordinary!!! in fact i think that sennheiser HD800 are the best so far in commercial use.post #627 of 8499/22/12 at 11:05amQuote:Originally Posted by newmarko
please please please. don't search in sound quality for more bass or highs.... you must learn to listen to music in neutral way. like it should be.i heaven't heard sennheiser hd800 ... ,but my point of view is that they sound extraordinary!!! in fact i think that sennheiser HD800 are the best so far in commercial use.
the HD 800 aren't exactly neutral. they're on the bright side.post #628 of 8499/22/12 at 12:54pm
Definitely the ath m-50 for me. It has great bass no doubt, but the rest is just... out right bad. No sound stage, harsh and thin highs, worst vocal ever, even worse than the beats studio in this department.post #629 of 8499/22/12 at 9:37pmQuote:
Yeah, I thought I had some insane EQ on my MP3 player turn on when I first heard them...I kind of laughed and put them back after I noticed I didn't.post #630 of 8499/22/12 at 11:36pmQuote:
What other forum do you post on? I'd like to visit myself if you wouldn't mind.
On topic, I don't find the M50 or the TMA-1 overrated, they're quite good for what they're intended for - Studio and DJ use respectably Although, I will say the TMA lineup is overpriced by about $100.
What I did find overrated was the Audeze LCD-3 when a dealer had one in stock and I demoed it with a high-end Woo amp. Small soundstage and it leaks insanely. It also seemed to have a channel imbalance. The build and sound quality sure doesn't look like $2000. Chipping was also readily apparent from use on the wood cups and the clamping and weight distribution was uneven.
I gotta say that Steve Guttenburg must be insane recommending these for studio use. At the price and leakage one might as well buy some high-end speakers and save some money at the same time.
Edited by lubczyk - 9/23/12 at 1:07am
- Most overrated headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions / Appreciation Thread (It's... 1 minute ago
- › pupDAC Step-by-Step Build Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations 3 minutes ago
- › The "IEMs That Significantly Perform BELOW Their Price Point" Thread 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 5 minutes ago
- › HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC sign up on Black... 6 minutes ago
- › [TOUR] T-PEOS H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid - Australian Tour Thread -... 9 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 10 minutes ago
- › Enter to win a Bowie-Inspired MOMENTUM Headphone from Sennheiser... 11 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 13 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude