Ath-M50 hands down
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 3/29/11
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 6/3/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/30/10
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/30/10
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/10
- productSony MDR R10tagged by System, 8/30/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 8/30/10
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones represent the best qualities of each brand (or series)? Last post on 5/17/16 at 2:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M-50 L/R flipped Last post on 4/9/13 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770/80? (Currently have ATH-M50) Last post on 7/19/11 at 10:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Noob about to get ATH-M50s... Ready for sonic bliss! Last post on 5/5/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggest me a replacement for my ATH-M50's (something like AKG-K701) Last post on 4/2/14 at 1:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
JOMO PLB (Pretty Little Beast) IEM Review - Expatinjapan `Oh you pretty things` - David Bowie Jomo Audio PLB, Opus#3 Dap and Double Helix Cable. JOMO PLB (Pretty little...
In the present state of portable audio markets, with one-upmanship of driver counts (and prices) fast becoming the norm, Campfire Audio has blazed its own path by offering immaculately crafted,...
Most overrated headphones? - Page 42post #616 of 11889/19/12 at 5:04pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #617 of 11889/22/12 at 2:34ampost #618 of 11889/22/12 at 2:38ampost #619 of 11889/22/12 at 3:23ampost #620 of 11889/22/12 at 3:27amQuote:
Over on another forum I post on these are like the most recommended headphone. To me, they don't sound any different from the cheapo headphones that are labeled with "extra bass", but only have the illusion of more bass because of their highly recessed mids and highs.post #621 of 11889/22/12 at 3:39am
I feel like if anything most Shures are underrated. Their style factor hovers around zero, so they never get quite as much attention as the headphones that have both style and sound (Beyer, AKG, boutique wood stuff, etc.). This tends to be Shure's trademark across all of its product lines though. IMO they have the best price/quality ratio in both headphones and microphones but man is their marketing/style approach dry....post #622 of 11889/22/12 at 3:47am
Sorry to say it since they're something of a Head-Fi success story, but I find the FA-003/HM5/XPT100/etc. to be pretty overrated.
Yes, they're flat, but ultimately why is flat generally considered good? Because theoretically, without one frequency dominating the others, you can hear more detail. The "studio" sound.
The problem is that the HM5s/clones are pretty much devoid of detail and seem to achieve their flat-ness by throwing a lead blanket over the entire frequency range so that no stray/rogue responses might rise too high. "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak.The result is a headphone that sounds groggy and congested, like it just got out of bed with allergies.
Edited by machoboy - 9/22/12 at 3:50ampost #623 of 11889/22/12 at 7:29am
it's funny people say the ATH M50 is so overrated. i think as a budget headphone for around 100 USD, it's pretty damn good. also the k70x. i don't think they are "over rated", i just think they end up being something many people do not enjoy because of their flat, analytical sound. i can definitely see why many would dislike this property, there is nothing "fun" about them. but for what they are (analytical, flat, linear etc), they're definitely NOT overrated.post #624 of 11889/22/12 at 7:50amQuote:Originally Posted by yepimonfire
it's funny people say the ATH M50 is so overrated. i think as a budget headphone for around 100 USD, it's pretty damn good. also the k70x. i don't think they are "over rated", i just think they end up being something many people do not enjoy because of their flat, analytical sound. i can definitely see why many would dislike this property, there is nothing "fun" about them. but for what they are (analytical, flat, linear etc), they're definitely NOT overrated.
It is a great budget headphone. I think the problem with it though is that it's become sort of an automatic response for anyone looking for a budget headphone. It's definitely not the only one out there, and doesn't suit everyone's needs and wants.post #625 of 11889/22/12 at 8:58amQuote:
Phonak PFE232, PFE112 (which I own)
Westone 4, UM3X (also heard the W2, nice mids, highs not my cup of tea)
TF10, SM3 (TF10, good fun, SM3 ultra fun!)
HD800, HE400, DT990 (HD800 sensational resolution, mids and soundstage, brutal honest - HE400 great bass and dynamics but poor balancing - DT990 very good for the money, fun sounding)
The resolution of all Shure headphones I heard is nothing special. They sound harsh and unpleasant to me. The comfort is also not that great. Shure and I are incompatible.
Also heard the T1, they need an 100ohm output to sound "right". Soundstage smaller than HD800. A head-fi member said "sound uninvolving", he is right.post #626 of 11889/22/12 at 9:11am
please please please. don't search in sound quality for more bass or highs.... you must learn to listen to music in neutral way. like it should be.i heaven't heard sennheiser hd800 ... ,but my point of view is that they sound extraordinary!!! in fact i think that sennheiser HD800 are the best so far in commercial use.post #627 of 11889/22/12 at 11:05amQuote:Originally Posted by newmarko
please please please. don't search in sound quality for more bass or highs.... you must learn to listen to music in neutral way. like it should be.i heaven't heard sennheiser hd800 ... ,but my point of view is that they sound extraordinary!!! in fact i think that sennheiser HD800 are the best so far in commercial use.
the HD 800 aren't exactly neutral. they're on the bright side.post #628 of 11889/22/12 at 12:54pm
Definitely the ath m-50 for me. It has great bass no doubt, but the rest is just... out right bad. No sound stage, harsh and thin highs, worst vocal ever, even worse than the beats studio in this department.post #629 of 11889/22/12 at 9:37pmQuote:
Yeah, I thought I had some insane EQ on my MP3 player turn on when I first heard them...I kind of laughed and put them back after I noticed I didn't.post #630 of 11889/22/12 at 11:36pmQuote:
What other forum do you post on? I'd like to visit myself if you wouldn't mind.
On topic, I don't find the M50 or the TMA-1 overrated, they're quite good for what they're intended for - Studio and DJ use respectably Although, I will say the TMA lineup is overpriced by about $100.
What I did find overrated was the Audeze LCD-3 when a dealer had one in stock and I demoed it with a high-end Woo amp. Small soundstage and it leaks insanely. It also seemed to have a channel imbalance. The build and sound quality sure doesn't look like $2000. Chipping was also readily apparent from use on the wood cups and the clamping and weight distribution was uneven.
I gotta say that Steve Guttenburg must be insane recommending these for studio use. At the price and leakage one might as well buy some high-end speakers and save some money at the same time.
Edited by lubczyk - 9/23/12 at 1:07am
- Most overrated headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Xonar DX vs SoundBlaster Z, using Senn. PC363D. 2 seconds ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 MkII 1 minute ago
- › InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread 2 minutes ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 2 minutes ago
- › Meier Audio Corda 2Stepdance 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 5 minutes ago
- › Hybrid Maple/Black Limba cupped V7 Build Tour Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear