Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most overrated headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most overrated headphones? - Page 73

post #1081 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post

Goes without saying, but there is absolutely no way that headphone could ever reasonably "earn" the disproportionate amount of praise it gets unless it were $50, the most comfortable headphone on the planet, didn't have such recessed mids, made me a famous billionaire rock star, and gave me heat vision.

HaHa - I love your list including "heat vision" - this is what can users really want but have just been reluctant to make it known - till now - I want to listen to sweet music and see in heat - and all from my headphone - what a combo biggrin.gif

A headfonics reviewer of the Dido D901 made the below remark of the ATH-M50 that I agree with totally but would infuriate the M50 faithful to no end -lol basshead.gif

Don't read if ATH-M50 fan (Click to show)
Edited by cb3723 - 6/20/14 at 12:48am
post #1082 of 1188

The problem in a lot of cases isn't that it's a bad headphone, I mean the M50/ML90/whatever are good products and no owners of them should be unhappy with them, but people act like that's the only option there. It's getting a LOT better in the case of the M50, I remember a day when that was EVERYONE'S "first audiophile purchase". If someone said they were looking for a can under $200 the response was always "get the M50!" even when there were tons of better options available at the price range. Now we're seeing others like the DT770 or the SRH840 creep in and that's a good thing. 

 

I think of it like music. There are tons of bands that I like (not love, just like) where the majority of their fans froth at the mouth like literally anything and everything the artist does is pure gold. Radiohead and Kanye West are two of the primary offenders here. Trying to explain to the rabid fans why you're not so enamoured with their work eventually results in going "IT'S NOT GOOD, SHUT UP, IT'S JUST NOT GOOD!" even when, on your own, you enjoy it. Headphones are the same way. I was amazed at the Mikros thread because it was just INCONCEIVABLE that I wasn't floored by the incredible quality of the things. People were saying I had to burn them in for THREE HUNDRED HOURS first.

 

Guys, if I made you listen to anything for 300 hours eventually you'll start to think it's good by sheer Stockholm Syndrome. That's why I've started to think of any burn-in beyond 60 minutes as psychological burn-in, not mechanical.

 

I'm not sure how it happens. Lack of experience, tribalism, pride, I'm sure it's all part of it. All I know is that I've had to eat crow on a lot of what I've said because I'm still learning (and, ideally, I'll never NOT be learning). One of my chief flubs was that I never understood why anyone would spend more than $400 on headphones because of the diminishing returns. I was right about the diminishing returns, I just wasn't right about being willing to spend that much because, dammit, it IS worth it. If you had today me go back about 9 months when I bought a pair of Monster DNA and said that by next summer I'd be dropping a grand on in-ear headphones I'd laugh. 

 

In fact, I'd probably start a big argument with myself about whether or not it'd be worth it. Hm.

post #1083 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

The problem in a lot of cases isn't that it's a bad headphone, I mean the M50/ML90/whatever are good products and no owners of them should be unhappy with them, but people act like that's the only option there. It's getting a LOT better in the case of the M50, I remember a day when that was EVERYONE'S "first audiophile purchase". If someone said they were looking for a can under $200 the response was always "get the M50!" even when there were tons of better options available at the price range. Now we're seeing others like the DT770 or the SRH840 creep in and that's a good thing. 

 

I think of it like music. There are tons of bands that I like (not love, just like) where the majority of their fans froth at the mouth like literally anything and everything the artist does is pure gold. Radiohead and Kanye West are two of the primary offenders here. Trying to explain to the rabid fans why you're not so enamoured with their work eventually results in going "IT'S NOT GOOD, SHUT UP, IT'S JUST NOT GOOD!" even when, on your own, you enjoy it. Headphones are the same way. I was amazed at the Mikros thread because it was just INCONCEIVABLE that I wasn't floored by the incredible quality of the things. People were saying I had to burn them in for THREE HUNDRED HOURS first.

 

Guys, if I made you listen to anything for 300 hours eventually you'll start to think it's good by sheer Stockholm Syndrome. That's why I've started to think of any burn-in beyond 60 minutes as psychological burn-in, not mechanical.

 

I'm not sure how it happens. Lack of experience, tribalism, pride, I'm sure it's all part of it. All I know is that I've had to eat crow on a lot of what I've said because I'm still learning (and, ideally, I'll never NOT be learning). One of my chief flubs was that I never understood why anyone would spend more than $400 on headphones because of the diminishing returns. I was right about the diminishing returns, I just wasn't right about being willing to spend that much because, dammit, it IS worth it. If you had today me go back about 9 months when I bought a pair of Monster DNA and said that by next summer I'd be dropping a grand on in-ear headphones I'd laugh. 

 

In fact, I'd probably start a big argument with myself about whether or not it'd be worth it. Hm.

 

I like the M50's but struggle to get excited over it and because Tyll gives it big licks, its the royal seal of approval to the M50 fanboys to go into hyperdrive and propagate the one can wonder status further, which usually ends up with m50 vs beats pro argument - lol:D



But the headfonics comment that beats pro is like the M50 without the faults ie the M60 is hilarious and makes a change to hear - go on YT and there are loads of videos called M50 Vs Beats Pro and every one of them has the M50 as winner - I think that is a bit of herd mentality to - everybody just want to fit in and go with the popular flow of the time.

I'm sure there was a member recently who made a thread asking for recommendations for a new bassy headcan stating that he had previously had the beats pro, to which he was very happy with, until he was told so much bad stuff about it he cracked due to pressure and sold them on, now regrets it after he bought some other can that he was "advised" to go for - can't remember if it was the M50 or the v-moda m100, but either way he didn't like and was now asking members for recs on a can that's just like the beats pro, just not actually the beats pro, despite fact he loved that can!

Now there's a guy who learnt the hard way of overrated advice on overrated cans that underrated his original beats pros and for what? To please his buddies? What a joke! biggrin.gif
Edited by cb3723 - 6/20/14 at 8:51am
post #1084 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post

But the headfonics comment that beats pro is like the M50 without the faults ie the M60 is hilarious and makes a change to hear - go on YT and there are loads of videos called M50 Vs Beats Pro and every one of them has the M50 as winner - I think that is a bit of herd mentality to - everybody just want to fit in and go with the popular flow of the time.

 

Sadly, I don't think anyone's going to see that comment because I put that within my Dido review, which only a handful of people would read anyway. I really should make a Beats Pro review, but I don't want to discredit myself too much.

post #1085 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post


I'm sure there was a member recently who made a thread asking for recommendations for a new bassy headcan stating that he had previously had the beats pro, to which he was very happy with, until he was told so much bad stuff about it he cracked due to pressure and sold them on, now regrets it after he bought some other can that he was "advised" to go for - can't remember if it was the M50 or the v-moda m100, but either way he didn't like and was now asking members for recs on a can that's just like the beats pro, just not actually the beats pro, despite fact he loved that can!

Now there's a guy who learnt the hard way of overrated advice on overrated cans that underrated his original beats pros and for what? To please his buddies? What a joke! biggrin.gif

That post, from hummel, is here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722307/really-bass-heavy-headphones#post_10617936

 

It ends with his seeking advice to choose from among: 

 

  • Ultrasone Pro 900
  • Beats Pro
  • JVC SZ200.

 

I didn't find any indication of what he chose.

post #1086 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
Headphones are the same way. I was amazed at the Mikros thread because it was just INCONCEIVABLE that I wasn't floored by the incredible quality of the things. People were saying I had to burn them in for THREE HUNDRED HOURS first.

 

Guys, if I made you listen to anything for 300 hours eventually you'll start to think it's good by sheer Stockholm Syndrome. That's why I've started to think of any burn-in beyond 60 minutes as psychological burn-in, not mechanical.

Careful what you say, the Mikros 90 lynch mobs will come hunt you down and strawman you to death. Or they'll just bail out once you start making a nuanced argument.


Edited by Dragonzeanse - 6/20/14 at 10:41am
post #1087 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post
 

 

Sadly, I don't think anyone's going to see that comment because I put that within my Dido review, which only a handful of people would read anyway. I really should make a Beats Pro review, but I don't want to discredit myself too much.

Shame you feel making a beats pro review would discredit you :(

 

Part time audiophile called the Studio 2.0 as he saw it regardless - he gets my respect for sure :) 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMcyEz13t1Q

post #1088 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post
 

Shame you feel making a beats pro review would discredit you :(

 

Part time audiophile called the Studio 2.0 as he saw it regardless - he gets my respect for sure :) 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMcyEz13t1Q

 

not sure if it's you, but I keep seeing that video get posted over and over again. that is just ONE guys take, it's not gospel.

post #1089 of 1188

I mean, I'm swamped with reviews for the next while, but if I have some free time, I might hammer something out. 

post #1090 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

 

Guys, if I made you listen to anything for 300 hours eventually you'll start to think it's good by sheer Stockholm Syndrome. That's why I've started to think of any burn-in beyond 60 minutes as psychological burn-in, not mechanical.

 

 

Hmm. I always thought people burned-in their phones via setting them up somewhere and coming back to them later after the burn-in period, as opposed to listening to them actively during the burn-in stage. At least that's how I have always done it. It's almost impossible to notice changes that happen slowly over time if you are constantly monitoring for the changes, like noticing the actual growth of a child when you're seeing them every day, vs. only seeing them once every few months. 


Edited by thievesarmy - 6/20/14 at 2:44pm
post #1091 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by thievesarmy View Post

not sure if it's you, but I keep seeing that video get posted over and over again. that is just ONE guys take, it's not gospel.

What do you mean by not sure if it's you?

As in me posting the same video? (Maybe)

Or me in the video?(No)

Just one guys take? Well, yes, he is one guy, but like others within the "industry" like Tyll Hertsens, Jude, Amos, Steve Guttenberg etc, this guy (aka part time audiophile) has credibility as an audio journalist and writes for various online publications like audio360.org.

If watch some of his other videos, you find he owns the Abyss AB-1266 and an array of top end amps such as the Cavalli Liquid Gold, so he's no stranger to high end gear and his job dictates he reports new products and developments and makes product reviews, so because of this I think he has credibility and from what I've seen of his reviews to date, he seems pretty grounded and with a down to earth approach that cuts the crap and favours common sense.

So his beats Studio can review and general beats hating -"I don't get it" message is a strong and correct message put across in a very non provocative manner and a refreshing moment of clarity to fan the flames of muddy bass shouting beats haters who many a time come across like a herd mentality bunch of knuckle draggers, IMO, that differentiates him as just one guy - he's got credibility.

If beats bashers think their shizz is gospel, then I see mo reason to think of PTA's video as the same if not educational to those with an open mind - but beats haters are rarely converted from their sins such is the severity of this disabling condition wink.gif
Edited by cb3723 - 6/20/14 at 3:28pm
post #1092 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by thievesarmy View Post

Hmm. I always thought people burned-in their phones via setting them up somewhere and coming back to them later after the burn-in period, as opposed to listening to them actively during the burn-in stage. At least that's how I have always done it. It's almost impossible to notice changes that happen slowly over time if you are constantly monitoring for the changes, like noticing the actual growth of a child when you're seeing them every day, vs. only seeing them once every few months. 

HIFIMAN HE-6 cans literature included advises a burn in period of approx 50 hours - and that's from the manufacturer themselves , so I do believe that burn in is relevant in some cases and in other cases not, such as Monster Adidas Classic cans (a huge gulf away from what the HE-6 is of course) where it's literature advises that no burn in is required whatsoever.
post #1093 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post

That post, from hummel, is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722307/really-bass-heavy-headphones#post_10617936

It ends with his seeking advice to choose from among: 
  • Ultrasone Pro 900
  • Beats Pro
  • JVC SZ200.

I didn't find any indication of what he chose.

He went for the SZ2000 and reports to be very much enjoying them smily_headphones1.gif
post #1094 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post
 

 

Sadly, I don't think anyone's going to see that comment because I put that within my Dido review, which only a handful of people would read anyway. I really should make a Beats Pro review, but I don't want to discredit myself too much.


I kinda did a Beats Pro review... at least I compared Beats Pro to Yamaha Pro 500 and Beats Studio 2013, here: 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723136/battle-of-the-bassys-beats-pro-yamaha-pro-500-and-beats-studio-2013-compared#post_10634722

 

I am also proudly (stupidly???) including my 4 Beats headphones among my HiFiMAN, Grado and Sennheisers at my setup at tomorrow ChiUniFI headphone meet....

 

post #1095 of 1188

I'm impressed with audiophiles who own Beats because, in my opinion, that's true brand neutrality. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most overrated headphones?