Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Monster Turbine - Genuine or Fake? Please check
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monster Turbine - Genuine or Fake? Please check

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,
I've been googling all day and I still couldn't find an assuring answer. I hope you guys can help by giving me a confirmation.
I just bought a Monster Turbine yesterday in Hong Kong, and I am starting to wonder if it is genuine or not. Here are the few things that I'm suspicious of:


http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/973/imag0035qu.jpg - the packaging. I googled pictures of the front packaging of the original Turbine, and on the Monster logo, there is no arc (neither is there on the headphones), but on the front of my box, there is.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/972/imag0036.jpg - this is the left side of the box. It says "Black Chrome". Again from google, I rarely see this packaging.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/699/imag0037s.jpg - this is the right side. There is NO right angle connector included unlike stated from the package.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6901/imag0038m.jpg - the headphones themselves. From videos, I noticed that the "MONSTER" should be on top of the headphones, and "turbine" should be on the bottom. Mine is switched.


Would you guys tell me please if I should be worried about this? I can still return this product within Tuesday.
Thank you so much.

post #2 of 14

99% of stuff from hong kong is fake bro. especially if it was at a low price.

here's detailed pictures of the monster turbine that are real. they look pretty different from the pictures that you provided.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/monster-turbine.php

post #3 of 14

they look legit from a video i saw. it was posted recently. on august 27. Take a listen. if they sound on par with the sound signature described by the folks here, you should be fine. If it is fake, it probably is going to sound pretty bad.

post #4 of 14

FYI

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508796/monster-turbines-question#post_6882807

 

Monster CS said the packaging was fine without any further explanation. Thus, I didn't feel comfortable and returned to amazon.

 

post #5 of 14

$?

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 

$1080HKD ~ $140USD

Average here is $1180 ~ $151USD

 

I saw a shop that I know for certain is selling fakes, and the price is half that. He lets me open the box, try it, and choose not to buy.

The place where I bought this from is different. It is in a mall famous for selling audio equipment.

It's just the box that worries me.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

 

Thank you all so much for replying BTW. I appreciate it.

Wywern, this must be the vid you mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpKPZwBNnRw

It does sound good. Much better than the Bose in-ear I got (and broke, twice lol) before. The bass is a bit heavy though.

 

I'll wait for an official reply from Monster and keep you guys updated.


Edited by staqqx - 8/29/10 at 8:15pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by staqqx View Post

 

Thank you all so much for replying BTW. I appreciate it.

Wywern, this must be the vid you mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpKPZwBNnRw

It does sound good. Much better than the Bose in-ear I got (and broke, twice lol) before. The bass is a bit heavy though.

 

I'll wait for an official reply from Monster and keep you guys updated.


yeah, that's the one.  If it sounds good, then it should be legit. if it is a fake, the sound won't be good. Yeah, i'm sure they are supposed to be on the bassy side.

post #9 of 14
post #10 of 14

The box for the Turbines that I got from the Amazon deal doesn't look like that. On the front of my box the IEM sticks past the color box a little, it doesn't show any kind of plug on the back and on the side it doesn't have a picture of the IEM at the top, instead it shows the tips, the carrying case, the (non-existent on the actual product) cable management system, the (non-existent on the actual product) 45° plug and then the warranty thing, all in the colored box. That doesn't mean the listing is for fakes but it seems like a "new" pair would at least have the same misleading new box. Maybe they're from a previous batch? *shrug*

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post

The box for the Turbines that I got from the Amazon deal doesn't look like that. On the front of my box the IEM sticks past the color box a little, it doesn't show any kind of plug on the back and on the side it doesn't have a picture of the IEM at the top, instead it shows the tips, the carrying case, the (non-existent on the actual product) cable management system, the (non-existent on the actual product) 45° plug and then the warranty thing, all in the colored box. That doesn't mean the listing is for fakes but it seems like a "new" pair would at least have the same misleading new box. Maybe they're from a previous batch? *shrug*



was yours shrinkwrapped and had a slit on top of the box for the tab to stick out?

post #12 of 14

I wouldn't worry too much if the difference is just on the packaging, I think the Turbines are on their 3rd editions now. The packaging and thee accessories that came with the Turbine Pro I just bought is quite different from those when they first came out last year. 

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalkarma View Post


was yours shrinkwrapped and had a slit on top of the box for the tab to stick out?


 

They were shrink-wrapped but I didn't know about the thing for the tab at the time so didn't look for it. They were sold by Amazon rather than a third party though so it's pretty unlikely they were fakes, there's a big thread here on the deal where people talked more about it and the differences between the packaging and contents. They might be old stock that Monster was clearing out to make way for new Turbines with the 45° plug and cable management but unless they misprinted a bunch of boxes I'd expect new boxes to look like that.

 

Maybe the ebay item was a set that had been sitting around for a while and didn't have the newer branding, but with so many fakes for Monster out there I'd be really hesitant about from ebay or a non-authorized merchant.

post #14 of 14
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Monster Turbine - Genuine or Fake? Please check