or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 6

post #76 of 9694

For me though, it'll beT1 for back up and ED8 on the go.

post #77 of 9694

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jian View Post

For me though, it'll beT1 for back up and ED8 on the go.


yeah.  same here. 

 

post #78 of 9694


Ouch!  $2,500.... that is Leben territory....Skylab comparison needed when it comes out! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jian View Post


 






Yes, it should be the new statement headphone amp from them. Not out yet though and really I can only find one picture on their website. I auditioned it and ordered it in their Hong Kong sole dealer store, Audio Physics. The price is not decided yet but the boss of the Audio Physics told me that his not quit sure but the price would be more than 20000 HKD. I put a deposit for the first set he can sell me, and now I need to do is wait........again.

post #79 of 9694

Yeah, my D7000s are probably first on the chopping board - it seems a lot of us are letting go of some of our closed cans, perhaps because the incredible hard and fast bass of the LCD2s are even better than closed cans.  That's how I feel about this issue.

post #80 of 9694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post

Yeah, my D7000s are probably first on the chopping board - it seems a lot of us are letting go of some of our closed cans, perhaps because the incredible hard and fast bass of the LCD2s are even better than closed cans.  That's how I feel about this issue.


Wow, I need to hear this damned thing.

post #81 of 9694
Thread Starter 

They told me it's a customized PRE906. So far they have made two of them. They can make more of the EAR909 if anyone wants one. No need to wait. They didn't tell me the cost of it, so I assumed I can't afford it.

( the amplification thread for the lcd-2 is over here, by the way: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2 )

 

Nice pictures of the LCD-2 on that EAR
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jian View Post

Yes, it should be the new statement headphone amp from them. Not out yet though and really I can only find one picture on their website. I auditioned it and ordered it in their Hong Kong sole dealer store, Audio Physics. The price is not decided yet but the boss of the Audio Physics told me that his not quit sure but the price would be more than 20000 HKD. I put a deposit for the first set he can sell me, and now I need to do is wait........again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigzStudio View Post

Ouch!  $2,500.... that is Leben territory....Skylab comparison needed when it comes out! ;)


Edited by DefectiveAudioComponent - 9/1/10 at 2:10pm
post #82 of 9694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post

Yeah, my D7000s are probably first on the chopping board - it seems a lot of us are letting go of some of our closed cans, perhaps because the incredible hard and fast bass of the LCD2s are even better than closed cans.  That's how I feel about this issue.


Agree. I think it´s because the LCD-2 actually have many of the strength associated with closed headphones. But without the problems. Similar air pressure, full rich bass . and I be damned if it doesn´t offer some mild isolation.  My computer fans get much more noticable on the T1 and SA5000.  I can actually use the LCD-2 also with my computer on which is a huge plus!

 

As for headphones all except the ED 8 and my old Pro 900 is for sale. But then I didn´t have heart to keep the DX 1000 on the sale list.Always hard to sell gear but the difference in treble levels between the LCD-2 and T1/SA5000 make it hard to jump between them. DX 1000 and ED 8 have a balance more similar to the LCD-2 which make things easier.

 

My speakers with ribbon tweaters for maximum treble extension actually appear to have less treble then the LCD-2. And Dana Dragomir pan flute album none of my other headphones are close to the LCD-2. Okay so it has the best bass, mid range and treble ever of the headphones I heard.


Edited by oqvist - 9/1/10 at 9:51am
post #83 of 9694


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post




Agree. I think it´s because the LCD-2 actually have many of the strength associated with closed headphones. But without the problems. Similar air pressure, full rich bass . and I be damned if it doesn´t offer some mild isolation.  My computer fans get much more noticable on the T1 and SA5000.  I can actually use the LCD-2 also with my computer on which is a huge plus!

 

As for headphones all except the ED 8 and my old Pro 900 is for sale. But then I didn´t have heart to keep the DX 1000 on the sale list.Always hard to sell gear but the difference in treble levels between the LCD-2 and T1/SA5000 make it hard to jump between them. DX 1000 and ED 8 have a balance more similar to the LCD-2 which make things easier.

 

My speakers with ribbon tweaters for maximum treble extension actually appear to have less treble then the LCD-2. And Dana Dragomir pan flute album none of my other headphones are close to the LCD-2. Okay so it has the best bass, mid range and treble ever of the headphones I heard.


It does take a while to understand the merits of these cans - they just reward you more and more.  I just realised that the speakers I mentioned in the other thread were Canadian Legacy speakers, and they have a ribbon tweeter (are ribbons related to orthos?).  Back then I remember how they had "detail" and "etch" that none of my cans did - the D7000 didn't have it either when I bought them....when I got the LCD2s - I remembered those speakers - they had that same "etched out detail" - I don't remember the HD800s having it either.  Those speakers were brilliant they retailed at over 20K - they took me there with music....but that bass was uncontrolled - I remembered clearly - the HD650 had less sub-bass but more control.  Barring imaging and body sensation bass - I got there for 1/20th the price - and with better bass.

 

I know for a fact a lot of people confuse extra treble with speed (I made the same mistake, up until I played around with EQ with my D7000s) and some are also mistakenly relating treble to soundstage as well - but it takes time, a whole lot of comparing cans (playing with EQ helps so much).  If one can visit a band rehearsing...one will immediately understand how musicians play for each other.  Its really intimate...and no one wants to play too loud over another...that's just plain disrespectful.  I am so careful with how I hit the drums as to not overwhelm the others - how carefully I listen to their volume and reciprocate and they do the same - its how it is.

 

We live we learn.

post #84 of 9694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post


 


It does take a while to understand the merits of these cans - they just reward you more and more.  I just realised that the speakers I mentioned in the other thread were Canadian Legacy speakers, and they have a ribbon tweeter (are ribbons related to orthos?).  Back then I remember how they had "detail" and "etch" that none of my cans did - the D7000 didn't have it either when I bought them....when I got the LCD2s - I remembered those speakers - they had that same "etched out detail" - I don't remember the HD800s having it either.  Those speakers were brilliant they retailed at over 20K - they took me there with music....but that bass was uncontrolled - I remembered clearly - the HD650 had less sub-bass but more control.  Barring imaging and body sensation bass - I got there for 1/20th the price - and with better bass.

 

I know for a fact a lot of people confuse extra treble with speed (I made the same mistake, up until I played around with EQ with my D7000s) and some are also mistakenly relating treble to soundstage as well - but it takes time, a whole lot of comparing cans (playing with EQ helps so much).  If one can visit a band rehearsing...one will immediately understand how musicians play for each other.  Its really intimate...and no one wants to play too loud over another...that's just plain disrespectful.  I am so careful with how I hit the drums as to not overwhelm the others - how carefully I listen to their volume and reciprocate and they do the same - its how it is.

 

We live we learn.

 

Wich model? http://www.legacyaudio.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=category&layout=category&Itemid=300189

I really can't believe lcd-2 sound as good. But if they really do, i'll be an happy man and just do some minor upgrade to my speaker system in the future .

What i'm certain is that lcd-2 can't beat them on imaging and staging, in particular out of the head.
 

post #85 of 9694


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cya|\| View Post



 

Wich model? http://www.legacyaudio.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=category&layout=category&Itemid=300189

I really can't believe lcd-2 sound as good. But if they really do, i'll be an happy man and just do some minor upgrade to my speaker system in the future .

What i'm certain is that lcd-2 can't beat them on imaging and staging, in particular out of the head.
 


It was this one.  Whisper HD - it was.

post #86 of 9694


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cya|\| View Post



 

Wich model? http://www.legacyaudio.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=category&layout=category&Itemid=300189

I really can't believe lcd-2 sound as good. But if they really do, i'll be an happy man and just do some minor upgrade to my speaker system in the future .

What i'm certain is that lcd-2 can't beat them on imaging and staging, in particular out of the head.
 

No there the LCD-2 is just mediocre.
 

post #87 of 9694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post


 


It was this one.  Whisper HD - it was.


Well that's impressed. They're open baffle speakers, mayb just like open cans , and plus the backward woofer it should reduce room problems a lot. So i'm very impressed that lcd-2 had better bass, and i believe you. But could you please elaborate the comparison more? Is the lcd-2 detail really on par with it? What about difference in soundstaging? Was the lcd-2 much worse than them?

I haven't ever heard high end headphones, except k701, but maybe they're not highend, and to me, they sounded worse than equal price studio monitors.

Though i'll definitly buy the lcd-2, i wonder if i can get a sound at least as good as my speakers, at least at the mid and high frequency.

post #88 of 9694


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cya|\| View Post




Well that's impressed. They're open baffle speakers, mayb just like open cans , and plus the backward woofer it should reduce room problems a lot. So i'm very impressed that lcd-2 had better bass, and i believe you. But could you please elaborate the comparison more? Is the lcd-2 detail really on par with it? What about difference in soundstaging? Was the lcd-2 much worse than them?

I haven't ever heard high end headphones, except k701, but maybe they're not highend, and to me, they sounded worse than equal price studio monitors.

Though i'll definitly buy the lcd-2, i wonder if i can get a sound at least as good as my speakers, at least at the mid and high frequency.


Soundstaging is a complete different issue - and that is where the money is going with speakers - as well as the full body bass slam.  I've never owned a set of high end speakers so can't really comment on that either, I've only ever owned entry-level bookshelves - but in terms of frequency response, detailing and smoothness - all the technical merits of a reproduced sound wave - I'm still going to give it to the LCD2 - the driver is right at your ear.  But then again - I am only going by memory.  Nevertheless - I couldn't care less about comparing to speakers - when I can compare to real instruments.

 

P.S. as a drummer, I've always felt very comfortable with the headphone staging effect - the guitar to the left, pinao to the right, singer in the middle - give or take - its not far off from a drummers angle.


Edited by SP Wild - 9/1/10 at 11:31am
post #89 of 9694
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




Is that a Helmholtz resonator/diffusion panel in the background?


Yaeh, it is.

post #90 of 9694

One thing to mention is that the sound of the LCD2 is so real and effortless.

 

When I listen to it, I see all the glory without any glare.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread