Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 263

post #3931 of 3939

HD800 vs. LCD-2F

Schiit Bifrost Uber -> Bottlehead Crack + Speedball -> Sennheiser HD800 Schiit Bifrost Uber -> Schiit Lyr -> Audeze LCD-2 Fazor

post #3932 of 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post

Hello guys. Is LCD-3 harder to drive than LCD-2??
Does it need more power?
Also, can you use LCD-2 outside without an external amp?

As I posted earlier above, I recently demoed the LCD-2 against some other phones and was very surprised to find the latest Fazor versions could be driven from an IPhone 5s. Clearly not as good as on a good amp but surprisingly decent. IMO you still feel like you are listening to a high end can and it still sounds like an Audeze. But clearly worse in many respects than on a good set up. But I would listen to one in my bedroom off an IPad (my main setup is in the living room) and be happy if I owned one (I don't). LCD-X can be driven off a portable but not optimally.

Agree that LCD-3 is lifeless without an amp.

Wouldn't take any of these "outside" if you meant that literally.
post #3933 of 3939

Yeah, my 2F is easier to drive than my Q701's and sounds stupid good out of anything. Adding an amp of course increases extension, lowers distortion, and can give better control... but the Fazor is a miracle for planars in the sensitivity department. I really want to try the 2F out of a Bottlehead S.E.X., has anybody here tried that particular combo? I remember people saying that it sounded great but it just clearly needed more power. More sensitive 2's might play real nice? I'm not a tube guy, but I love DIY Bottlehead stuff for the value, actual build, and b/c they're so fun to show off. Plus, it's an awesome company!


Edited by jodgey4 - Yesterday at 2:54 pm
post #3934 of 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgin View Post

As I posted earlier above, I recently demoed the LCD-2 against some other phones and was very surprised to find the latest Fazor versions could be driven from an IPhone 5s. Clearly not as good as on a good amp but surprisingly decent. IMO you still feel like you are listening to a high end can and it still sounds like an Audeze. But clearly worse in many respects than on a good set up. But I would listen to one in my bedroom off an IPad (my main setup is in the living room) and be happy if I owned one (I don't). LCD-X can be driven off a portable but not optimally.

Agree that LCD-3 is lifeless without an amp.

Wouldn't take any of these "outside" if you meant that literally.

Hmmmmm. rolleyes.gif

My LCD 2.2 (non fazor) are rated at 60 oHm with an efficiency of 91db/1mW.

The LCD 2F are rated at a higher impedance of 70 oHm but have a better efficiency of 93db/1mW.

I think the difference being heard on the 5S is the more cohesive sound waves aligned by the Fazors, but still no where near its potential. So while I agree that the Fazor would sound better on the 5S, I don't think it's from efficiency.

I wonder if the lower speed of the LCD-2 planer driver would hide/mask the difference between LCD-3 and LCD-2 driven from an iPhone 5S. As in, the iPhone 5S simply can't keep up to / drive the superior driver of the LCD-3 to its full (awesome) potential so therefore the LCD-3 sounds that much more hobbled (this, and the higher impedance of 110 oHm).

My LCD-XC's are much, much easier to drive (close to the LCD-X spec) and although the dynamics suffer greatly from the iPhone 5S's weak amp, they do sound comparatively better than the LCD-2 from the 5S.

All that said, I love the LCD-2.2 when driven properly.

Cheers wink.gif
post #3935 of 3939

so, Audeze's portability rank goes:

 

#1  LCD-X

#2  LCD-2F

#3  LCD-XC

#4  LCD-3F

 

 

Has anyone tested LCD-X with a DAP?

I'm going to get an LCD-X soon. One of my friends told me LCD-X is too heavy and can hurt your neck.

post #3936 of 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post

so, Audeze's portability rank goes:

#1  LCD-X
#2  LCD-2F
#3  LCD-XC
#4  LCD-3F


Has anyone tested LCD-X with a DAP?
I'm going to get an LCD-X soon. One of my friends told me LCD-X is too heavy and can hurt your neck.

Why would the portability of the LCD-2F be ranked above the XC for you?

The XC is far easier to drive with lower impedance and greater efficiency ratings than the LCD-2F. The XC and X are very close in spec so they should be equally easy to drive. I can play the XC straight out of the X5 without a problem, but adding the e12 improves dynamics.

With the LCD-2 I need the e12 on high gain minimum.

I've had no problems with my neck using the XC.
post #3937 of 3939
And if you take your audeze cans outside you will share your music with every bodies around wink.gif

except the XC I guess being closed
post #3938 of 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by TontonJoK View Post

And if you take your audeze cans outside you will share your music with every bodies around wink.gif

except the XC I guess being closed


You might actually share them with someone permanently if you flash those cans about outside !

post #3939 of 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 


You might actually share them with someone permanently if you flash those cans about outside !

I haven't met anyone that knows about Audeze yet. Beats sure, Audeze no. One of my friends said nice pair of Sennheisers. FacePalm

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread