or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 229

post #3421 of 9636
Guys, is here anybody who heard both LCD-2 and MrSpeakers Mad Dog 3.2?
On other threads I'm getting mixed feedback - some say the Mad Dogs have significantly less bass, some say it's not the case.
It's hard to tell from the measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2sn5423021Fazer.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersMadDogA.pdf
post #3422 of 9636

I have not heard the latest LCD2 with fazors, and I have not directly compared the LCD2 and Mad Dogs side by side, so I probably won't be the most help, but..

 

When I heard the Mad Dog 3.2 next to my HE-400, it had quite a bit a bit less bass

When I heard the LCD2 (non fazor) next to my HE-400, it only had slightly less bass

post #3423 of 9636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post
 

Some of you might remember me freaking out when I saw the FR plots showing recessed sub-bass in the Fazor models. I want to discuss that a little bit, now that I know these cans. I don't think these issues are amp related. My cans are out with Saoshyant right now for an audition, I've traded for his HE-400's (I'll write a review on them soon... tl;dr as related to this thread - comparing bass between these two cans is a no-go IMHO).

 

The roll-off/recession is quite noticable, and frankly, ruins the idea of the 'classic Audeze house sound' going forward unless serious changes are made.

 

Jodgey4,

 

I went through the exact same experience a few months ago. Ordered a pair of LCD-2's not realizing that the new models had the Fazor elements. My pair arrived with a frequency response similar to other Fazor models shown in this thread, with a definite bass roll-off. I also had a pair HE-500's at the time and they clearly hit harder and went deeper than my Fazor LCD-2's. I was pretty disappointed, especially considering all the raving I have heard about the "classic Audeze house sound" etc.

 

My solution? I returned the Fazor's and bought a pair of used 2.2's from the classifieds here at Head Fi. I couldn't be happier. Bass goes much deeper and hits harder. I actually find the sound stage bigger on my 2.2's. Bought a new set of pads and headband and my 2.2's are now super comfortable. The one thing I would give to the Fazor's is the imaging / instrument separation.

 

I would suggest you think about what is most important to you... Bass response or imaging / instrument separation? Those were the major differences between the two models in my experience...

post #3424 of 9636
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCore View Post

Guys, is here anybody who heard both LCD-2 and MrSpeakers Mad Dog 3.2?
On other threads I'm getting mixed feedback - some say the Mad Dogs have significantly less bass, some say it's not the case.
It's hard to tell from the measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2sn5423021Fazer.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersMadDogA.pdf

i had them both mad dog has more bass end of story, more punch and smoother highs, but the audeze has a huge soundstage compared to mad dogs

 

for only 299 get the mad dogs


Edited by Sound Eq - 7/3/14 at 8:27am
post #3425 of 9636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I have not heard the latest LCD2 with fazors, and I have not directly compared the LCD2 and Mad Dogs side by side, so I probably won't be the most help, but..

 

When I heard the Mad Dog 3.2 next to my HE-400, it had quite a bit a bit less bass

When I heard the LCD2 (non fazor) next to my HE-400, it only had slightly less bass

u must be kiddin me its the opposite, the mad dogs has more bass

post #3426 of 9636
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysixtysix View Post
 

 

Jodgey4,

 

I went through the exact same experience a few months ago. Ordered a pair of LCD-2's not realizing that the new models had the Fazor elements. My pair arrived with a frequency response similar to other Fazor models shown in this thread, with a definite bass roll-off. I also had a pair HE-500's at the time and they clearly hit harder and went deeper than my Fazor LCD-2's. I was pretty disappointed, especially considering all the raving I have heard about the "classic Audeze house sound" etc.

 

My solution? I returned the Fazor's and bought a pair of used 2.2's from the classifieds here at Head Fi. I couldn't be happier. Bass goes much deeper and hits harder. I actually find the sound stage bigger on my 2.2's. Bought a new set of pads and headband and my 2.2's are now super comfortable. The one thing I would give to the Fazor's is the imaging / instrument separation.

 

I would suggest you think about what is most important to you... Bass response or imaging / instrument separation? Those were the major differences between the two models in my experience...

For me, tight extended bass is the #1 most overlooked part of sound. Our ears hear much lower than most people realize, and so much room/environmental feel/experience comes from these low rumblings and reverberation. I am NOT a basshead... accuracy and natural feeling are so important to me, especially as someone who gets a great deal of his enjoyment not from listening to music, but playing it.

 

I'm considering a trade and following your path... I'd need to audition the 'old' model again, just to make sure it's not me just being a loon. As I've told a few friends and fellow members, for ~$1000, you have the right to be picky!

 

BTW, I love that the Fazor is easier to drive... easier than HE-400's I think. I can use them off my phone or portable keyboard and still get killer sound.


Edited by jodgey4 - 7/3/14 at 10:17am
post #3427 of 9636
My Lcd 2.2 NF has more bass slam than my MD 3.2, could be a question of amping ???
post #3428 of 9636
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCore View Post
 


That's interesting. Many say the Fazor have a lot less bass and I didn't feel they lacked in that area (and I'm a basshead). But if indeed the other versions have more yet controlled rumble - man, these must be my dream headphones :D

For those who say that Fazor has "a lot less bass", you are deaf.

post #3429 of 9636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniak View Post
 

For those who say that Fazor has "a lot less bass", you are deaf.

For me, it's the lack of apparent extension. Except for those frequencies, it's the exact same from what I remember, as you say.

post #3430 of 9636

So it seems the general consensus is to not fork over $250 for the Fazor upgrade. Audeze tells me they really aren't offering the upgrade anymore because of lack of interest. But they will make the exception if I want to move forward. At this point, I'm feeling like holding back because I like the sound that my 2.2s are giving me. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the loss in the lower bass region would make that much of a difference. I'd love to get to hear the difference before I made an irreversible move. Maybe I'll wait until the next NYC area meet before deciding.

post #3431 of 9636
^ if it isn't broken don't fix it, right? I wish I knew what I was missing from the non fazor models atm. We're in opposite boats biggrin.gif.

From what everyone's said about lack of bass extension I know what you mean, when I first got mine I was expecting "Bass. Great bass" one of the first tracks I went to was Massive Attack's "Angel" and I was really underwhelmed with how similar they sounded to the hd600s that I upgraded from. I absolutely hear the "smokey" sound they everyone's so nostalgic about in my fazors but it's terrible not knowing what I'm really missing. From all the comparisons it sounds like the fazors half ass the signature that gave audeze its reputation.
Edited by linglingjr - 7/4/14 at 1:21am
post #3432 of 9636
I decided not to do the fazor upgrade. I love the way they sound now, if I want Fazors I will buy a new pair instead, so I still have the option to stay without.
post #3433 of 9636
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

I decided not to do the fazor upgrade. I love the way they sound now, if I want Fazors I will buy a new pair instead, so I still have the option to stay without.

 

This.

post #3434 of 9636

how can you tell if your LCD2 has a fazor? I ordered mine on February 4, 2014 directly from audeze's website. At that time, there was no news that i know of about the lcd2's having fazors. In fact, i just found out about it today :o.

post #3435 of 9636
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0000 View Post

how can you tell if your LCD2 has a fazor? I ordered mine on February 4, 2014 directly from audeze's website. At that time, there was no news that i know of about the lcd2's having fazors. In fact, i just found out about it today redface.gif .


You can feel triangular ridges inside the earcups, instead of flat ones. Also, if your frequency chart is dated December 18, 2013 or later, then they will have Fazor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread