or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 220

post #3286 of 9685

Just threw down an EDM/Hip Hop only battle between the LCD 2 F and my HE 4, I found the LCD 2 F does slower tracks better, as well as anything with heavy voclas [like Rap] where as the HE 4 does faster more aggressive tracks a little better, the HE 4 Wobbles better for me as well [but the LCD 2 wasn't far behind at all] for some atomospheric  Hip Hop Instrumentals. the HE 4 was right on the money, the LCD 2 was a mess, it's coloration threw the track to hell [and yes I level matched each headphone at  62 dbs] so even at the LCD 2s sweet spot it's not better in every instance, some songs its an obvious winner, other songs the obvious loser

post #3287 of 9685

I'm a big fan of LCD-2 (Rev. 2) since the first day i got them. I had an opportunity to listen to many other headphones but the LCD-2 was my favourite (i even sold my LCD-XC. I so much prefer LCD-2). But now i got now chance to upgrade my Revision 2 to version with fazor. I'm not able to audition them anywhere near but as far as i read they are a little close to LCD-X now which isn't bad thing i assume (to be honest trebles are the only area that i could have any objections - tiny but still).

Are they that different? Will i regret upgrading to Fazor version (i know this question is pointless but maybe there is someone that had that kind of experience)

post #3288 of 9685
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightthree View Post
 

I'm a big fan of LCD-2 (Rev. 2) since the first day i got them. I had an opportunity to listen to many other headphones but the LCD-2 was my favourite (i even sold my LCD-XC. I so much prefer LCD-2). But now i got now chance to upgrade my Revision 2 to version with fazor. I'm not able to audition them anywhere near but as far as i read they are a little close to LCD-X now which isn't bad thing i assume (to be honest trebles are the only area that i could have any objections - tiny but still).

Are they that different? Will i regret upgrading to Fazor version (i know this question is pointless but maybe there is someone that had that kind of experience)

I think it would b, there is a guy here who modded his LCD 2 to a closed back , and got a much cleaner and balanced sound frequancy response then the LCD XC reads

 

what do you like about your LCD 2? I've got a Fazor verision with me now, and I find the Sub Bass is really very lacking, I think upgrading to Fazor will kill some of the Sub Bass, so I'd forgo the upgrade if you enjoy the Nice linear Sub response of your Current LCD 2

 

Still I never heard the Orignal LCD 2 REV 2, 

post #3289 of 9685

Ugh Anime still sounds bonkers with the LCD 2 Faz, japanese girls speaking english often to my ears sound uber cute, lot's of air and nice warm tactile edge

 

the LCD just kills that whole balance, sicks out the airy, TOO much warmth... super yuk

 

now male voices the LCD 2 F KILLZ, but I don't have a lot of male vocal driven music or anime for that matter 

 

watching Accel World atm, and the music  nice, the OP and END sound lovely, the basic chatting throughout the episode still sounds wonky 

 

it's such a picky headphone with vocals, some sound great others are a disappointment :/ 


Edited by Mshenay - 6/14/14 at 10:52am
post #3290 of 9685
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCore View Post

Comfort: the leather pads are great, but for some reason, my right ear kept pushing on the inner side of the can (the left was perfectly fine).

That's funny.  I have the LCD-2.2 fazors with the vegan pads and I have the same exact problem.  I just scoot both cups forward a bit and it's okay but that's strange.  

post #3291 of 9685
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

That's funny.  I have the LCD-2.2 fazors with the vegan pads and I have the same exact problem.  I just scoot both cups forward a bit and it's okay but that's strange.  

... me three 

post #3292 of 9685

Mshenay: You seem to be listening at fairly low levels. If you can venture forth to crank it up a little bit, I think you'll find that the Audezes do sound better at reference levels. ~80-85dB

post #3293 of 9685

That's interesting.  I don't find them ruining vocals, even with fazors.   Florence & The Machine, Lana Del Rey, Ellie Goulding all sound great, same with male vocals: Sinatra, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Jack White etc...  I think they do a pretty wide range of vocals decently (and that's coming from HD600s which have amazing mids)  I sure don't experience any of the strange vocal issues you're having.   I've also been watching TV/movies with them and I don't notice them sounding "off"

post #3294 of 9685
Thread Starter 

I found that my original rev 1 did lack a tiny touch of air (this balance also gives slightly stronger bass though so it's in the end a zero-sum game). But with these new pads, I find them perfectly balanced. It all sounds spot on (including vocals). 

 

I would not close the back on these - Just placing my hands over the grilles ruins the music.

post #3295 of 9685
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJNeg View Post
 

Mshenay: You seem to be listening at fairly low levels. If you can venture forth to crank it up a little bit, I think you'll find that the Audezes do sound better at reference levels. ~80-85dB

at 70db my ears start to hurt, at 75 I've got about 10mins before I'm finished and 80+ db's is a little too much for me honestly. And any headphone that needs to be driven that loudly to achieve it's maximum output isn't something I'm going to be to thrilled to own. Thus far for my, for my listening levels, the LCD 2 Faz is a nice side grade from the HE 4, I've not listened to music that loud in a long time, becuase it hurts my ears 

 

and to my ears, they don't "ruin" all vocals, some how ever don't sound entirely correct still these are my intial impressions I've got these till next monday so I'm gong to listen to them for well the next week the do a write up on how they compare 

post #3296 of 9685

70dB shouldn't be hurting your ears. Do you have a measurement mic or SPL meter on hand? Because I don't think your level estimate is accurate.

 

Anyway my point is the LCD2 is definitely shelved in terms of treble level. But that tends to let you listen at a bit higher levels without fatigue. For those like myself who like to listen closer to reference levels to get more realistic dynamics (from a good recording), it's a good quality that the Audezes have.

post #3297 of 9685
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJNeg View Post
 

70dB shouldn't be hurting your ears. Do you have a measurement mic or SPL meter on hand? Because I don't think your level estimate is accurate.

 

Anyway my point is the LCD2 is definitely shelved in terms of treble level. But that tends to let you listen at a bit higher levels without fatigue. For those like myself who like to listen closer to reference levels to get more realistic dynamics (from a good recording), it's a good quality that the Audezes have

I do have a spl meter on hand,  it's how I do my measure ments and yes 70 doesn't hurt but it's not to comfortable, 75 is my abouslete top limit, and thats like one two songs if Im feeling it, 75 doesn't hurt but after 10mins it does. 80 just hurts 

 

now that said,

 

the I'm watching Board Walk Empire, and it sounds wonderful, voices are very natural and there is a nice sense of tactility at the low level. I'm still very much in the weeds about how much I like this Fazord LCD 2 

 

oooh watching this show, heard a man screaming... IT REALLY FELT AND SOUNDED Like a scream! Just not as annoying, non the less, the show ofc has music in it and honestly, it sounds good... foot steps are good n tactile, laughter has a nice sharp tone to it... I'm really liking this, and OMG all at like 57 dbs measured! 

 

For music those lower mids are still a little too much for me, the transition from low to upper mids is still a little rough to my ears 

 

Hmmmmm, all of this leaves me really wanting to try the LCD x, some of you consider it to me a little "u shaped" a little v shaped, either way from the description I get of it it sounds like it's going to remind me a lot of my HE 4, but with the LCD 2 level of detail [and hopefully natural vocals] and all the glorious tactility both the orthos share 

 

but for me panios have a little to much body to them, and BRass instruments too much emphasis on the low mids. 

 

I pushed it up to about 72dbs... it sounded horrible, It was gawd awfully loud, and it hurt my ears... a good bit and it did NOT sound any better... and THIS mind you was while listening to Chesky's ULTIMATE OMEGA CHUNG STYLE demo Cd, Transcendental tripping 


Edited by Mshenay - 6/14/14 at 6:10pm
post #3298 of 9685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

I do have a spl meter on hand,  it's how I do my measure ments and yes 70 doesn't hurt but it's not to comfortable, 75 is my abouslete top limit, and thats like one two songs if Im feeling it, 75 doesn't hurt but after 10mins it does. 80 just hurts 

 

 

It's pefectly valid if you are not wanting to listen at a higher spl.  It's much better that you were able to source one for at home audition than purchasing blind.  So the LCD2 is not for you, that is OK, its not for a lot of people.  Last thing you want to do is hurt your ears, which is a bit odd as these are cans well known to not hurt your ears.

 

Its a bummer that the newer Audeze models are rolling off the sub bass a little, but many people seem to be preferring it like that.  The original R1s that I have went flat to 5hz, but the uppermidrange is a little more recessed than the newer models.

 

I personally have only realised lately, when comparing to how I listen to speakers with practicality in mind, that in general, I tend to listen at a much higher volume with headphones than with speakers, mainly because I can, and also because that is the only way for me to grasp an idea of how the original performance might sound live.

 

But these days, I feel it unnecessary to hold a live performance as the benchmark for referencing, this is not even relevant with most contemporary music to start with. 

 

We have to ask, what can hi fi do that live music cannot?

 

That answer is easy...hi fi can present the vision of the artistic intent of the artist at the time the artist created the piece.  All artists perfect their art in the studio, a live performance is a facsimile of the original piece, sometimes it may be worse sometimes the artist are better live with the extra energy coming from the audience feeding the performers passion.  Neverthless it is a modification of the original studio piece.

 

An excellent studio recording is always better than a live recording, because perfection of the instrumentation is achieved with perfect samples and imperfection is discarded.

 

In today's day and age, with the understanding of the issues with hearing damage and the increase usage of headphones, it is outright irresponsible to hold a live performance as a benchmark.

 

This actually a negative for my own LCD2s, neverthless the irresponsible side of me won't go away, and I love turning it up in the short time frame I dedicate to headphone listening, and for me, it is the best thing about headphones, not disturbing anyone no matter how irresponsible I feel.

post #3299 of 9685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post
 

 

 

It's pefectly valid if you are not wanting to listen at a higher spl.  It's much better that you were able to source one for at home audition than purchasing blind.  So the LCD2 is not for you, that is OK, its not for a lot of people.  Last thing you want to do is hurt your ears, which is a bit odd as these are cans well known to not hurt your ears.

 

Its a bummer that the newer Audeze models are rolling off the sub bass a little, but many people seem to be preferring it like that.  The original R1s that I have went flat to 5hz, but the uppermidrange is a little more recessed than the newer models.

 

I personally have only realised lately, when comparing to how I listen to speakers with practicality in mind, that in general, I tend to listen at a much higher volume with headphones than with speakers, mainly because I can, and also because that is the only way for me to grasp an idea of how the original performance might sound live.

 

But these days, I feel it unnecessary to hold a live performance as the benchmark for referencing, this is not even relevant with most contemporary music to start with. 

 

We have to ask, what can hi fi do that live music cannot?

 

That answer is easy...hi fi can present the vision of the artistic intent of the artist at the time the artist created the piece.  All artists perfect their art in the studio, a live performance is a facsimile of the original piece, sometimes it may be worse sometimes the artist are better live with the extra energy coming from the audience feeding the performers passion.  Neverthless it is a modification of the original studio piece.

 

An excellent studio recording is always better than a live recording, because perfection of the instrumentation is achieved with perfect samples and imperfection is discarded.

 

In today's day and age, with the understanding of the issues with hearing damage and the increase usage of headphones, it is outright irresponsible to hold a live performance as a benchmark.

 

This actually a negative for my own LCD2s, neverthless the irresponsible side of me won't go away, and I love turning it up in the short time frame I dedicate to headphone listening, and for me, it is the best thing about headphones, not disturbing anyone no matter how irresponsible I feel.

You know it's funny but I rather hate live music, Saw a band last night actually, uged great guitarists but so much distortion on from their amps, lots of clipping and it just sounded... well not good to my ears. Now what I do like are smaller initmate acoustic sessions, my father raised me with a 12 string in his hand lol [arpeggio playing style] my verison of good live music, is my dad playing and singing at about 65ish dbs, he still plays and I do enjoy it. 

 

and I'm not saying the LCD 2 Fazor aren't for me, I've not had enough time with them. and for my TV and Movie pleasure I do like them, they do better with movies and TV than the HE 4 does 

post #3300 of 9685

For something twice the price of HE-4's, you'd expect them to do better. I love vocals on these cans, the 1-3.5 kHz range is all vocal harmonics, so that changes the timbre quite a bit if they're recessed compared to what you're used to hearing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread