- 1,763 Posts. Joined 7/2009
- Location: Savannah, GA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Grado PS-1000 with leather Audeze Headband Last post on 9/8/11 at 6:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Travel Case for Audez'e LCD-2 Last post on 9/7/15 at 6:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does it take Audeze to ship Headphones from the time they receive payment? Last post on 4/20/11 at 2:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the deal with Audez'e? Last post on 1/10/11 at 1:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AUDEZ'E versus WHARFEDALE ISODYNAMICS? Last post on 9/15/11 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 198post #2956 of 104054/9/14 at 7:43pmOddly enough, I got mine in November 2013 and got a converter cable and pelican case.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2957 of 104054/10/14 at 7:22am
This is the adapter my pair of headphones came with last week.
About the headphones: I just love em. I auditioned the Rev 2 about a month back and I can't really say the new one is brighter. Maybe it's just me, but it's definitely not night and day.
I use it with a Schiit Lyr and I'm thinking about upgrading my source. I'm currently using it via the Logitech Squeezebox Touch without DAC... I know I know, not very audiophile. But I think I'll get the Bifrost and a different source soon.
What are you guys using as a source? Any recommendation would be great!
Edited by Cavcalade - 4/10/14 at 7:23ampost #2958 of 104054/10/14 at 10:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Taowolf51
I had some spare wood left over from building acoustic treatments, so I slapped together a headphone stand for my LCD-2's. I'll probably build a better quality one later (and a smaller one for my D7000's).
Also, that ugly white thing is a prototype suspension headband I made out of a tube sock. It makes the headphones far far more comfortable than stock but looks a bit crappy at the moment, I'll be making a good looking version out of leather one of these days.
I would like to see the final version of the suspention headband, clever idea.
Edited by logam - 4/10/14 at 10:11ampost #2959 of 104054/11/14 at 12:42pm
Will do. I'm still mulling over the design. I'm trying to figure out how to make it adjustable without modifying the LCD-2's in any way.
Also, I just got some working tubes for my Quickie (RT 3S4 tubes) and sticking this between my XDA-2 and XPA-200 feeding the LCD-2's is blowing me away. I think I've finally found a setup as involving as the LCD-X WA6-SE combo I heard back at the Philly meet! These tubes seem to be a lot more colored than the stock tubes but are just awesome. Fast and smooth, slight bass emphasis and NO fatigue even with my DSP corrections that make it more balanced.
Oh god this is amazing.post #2960 of 104054/15/14 at 12:40pmpost #2961 of 104054/15/14 at 12:57pm
As a believer in cable upgrades - I can honestly tell you Audeze stock cable is a simple non-isolated cable. The copper strands do only have plastic/PVC shielding. That's all... A more quality design cable (Norse/ALO/Entreq/Canare etc.) brings more micro-detail.
Ofcourse it's all about budget, but I think it's a good investment for long term... And every cable has it's own soundcharacteristic. It's what you like best - and also what's best match in your system. I do like Entreq Konstantin 2010 with my LCD-2. This cable gave me biggest level of detail in comparison with other brands of cables... But my hearing and preferencesd are different as yours. There's no universal thruth :-) Hope my answer will help a bit in your quest...
Edited by PAM005 - 4/15/14 at 12:59pmpost #2962 of 104054/15/14 at 3:06pm
Thanks for the reply. At what price point do you think custom cables for the LCD 2 start to outperform the stock cable? For example, say the best quality cable at $50 for the LCD2 performs similar to the stock cable and therefore would not be worth buying but maybe, for example, say the best quality $200 cable has a noticeable improvement in SQ vs stock and therefore represents the minimum investment in a cable to be worthwhile.post #2963 of 104054/15/14 at 4:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by PTom
Thanks for the reply. At what price point do you think custom cables for the LCD 2 start to outperform the stock cable? For example, say the best quality cable at $50 for the LCD2 performs similar to the stock cable and therefore would not be worth buying but maybe, for example, say the best quality $200 cable has a noticeable improvement in SQ vs stock and therefore represents the minimum investment in a cable to be worthwhile.
Well the stock cable from Audeze is 80.00. Don't think you can upgrade for 50.00 . Anyway after much research I ordered the Audiophile cable for Audeze from Charleston Cable company.
It is 235.00 for five foot with no sleeve and 1/4 " termination. It is shipping now so I don't have a opinion on it yet. I was looking for a cable that could enhance detail possibly but not change sound signature in any way, especially higher frequencies.post #2964 of 104054/15/14 at 8:36pm
Shultzee is right, you can't hardly upgrade for a price below USD 80,= Think of a reasonable interconnect with standard length of 80cm. For your headphone you need about 3-times this length. So pricing is in this region. Ofcourse deduct 2-times costs of RCA connectors ;-) I think starting USD 200,= is a good indication. But it's not always about pricing! It's mainly material and construction that counts...post #2965 of 104054/15/14 at 9:10pmpost #2966 of 104054/15/14 at 9:54pmpost #2967 of 104054/16/14 at 4:16am
Finally I pulled the trigger in the new Violectric V281 and just preorderer one, cant wait to pair it with the 2.2s!! Expected arrival in June.
Just had a few mails with Fried from Lake People and he assured me that it will deliver lots of power!! A better version of the already brilliant Violectric V200 with balanced output must be an astonishing product.post #2968 of 104054/16/14 at 5:16amQuote:
I've upgraded my stock LCD-2 cable a few weeks back. After much "internet fact finding", I went fro the Entreq Konstantin 2012 cable.
For me this turned out to be an awesome upgrade. Soundstage improved, more controlled base and better highs, without getting trying (and it looks really nice as well ). I'm very happy with my Entreq cable.
Of course there are many more cables out there and it all comes down to budget. One other cable to check out would be Forza Audio Works, I've ordered a Color Cable for my HE-400 and that also works real well, great build quality and top-notch customer service. I've also read good reviews about their Noire mkII cable.post #2969 of 104054/16/14 at 2:31pmQuote:
I had a similar experience with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. In addition to the mentioned traits, imaging was also improved. With the stock cable, my LCD-2 was slightly hazy in terms of imaging placement. With the Silver Dragon it became pinpoint specific with more well defined layers. I know some folks claim cable upgrades are a load of rubbish, but I also found the difference to be quite noticeable.post #2970 of 104054/16/14 at 2:40pm
Some interesting comments about cables. I'm thinking of upgrading my setup gradually. What would be the best order to upgrade (I currently have the O2/ODAC combo). Maybe something like:
Or cables first maybe?
- Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 22 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 49 seconds ago
- › wtB: Schiit Ragnarok in excellent to mint condition 54 seconds ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 56 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 4 minutes ago
- › IEM with detachable cable under 150$ (available in the likes of... 4 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear