- 1,708 Posts. Joined 7/2009
- Location: Savannah, GA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Grado PS-1000 with leather Audeze Headband Last post on 9/8/11 at 6:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Travel Case for Audez'e LCD-2 Last post on 9/7/15 at 6:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does it take Audeze to ship Headphones from the time they receive payment? Last post on 4/20/11 at 2:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the deal with Audez'e? Last post on 1/10/11 at 1:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AUDEZ'E versus WHARFEDALE ISODYNAMICS? Last post on 9/15/11 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I have owned my Audeze LCD 3f for about one year and have enjoyed the headphone immensely. The one thing that bothered me about the LCD 3 was the fact that they just seem to always be slightly...
-- The RBH EP3 is a brand new model succeeding the EP1 & EP2. ~ All photos were taken by me, no stock pictures from the manufacturer were used ~ *Packaging* Simple Box, but...
In 2012 Burson Audio introduced the Musician Series of headphone amplifiers that brought significant technical enhancements to their popular classic HA-160 line. Acknowledging that even the best...
Audio Technica has a long history of making wood-cupped headphones, both in limited edition and production models. The W2002, their first famous limited edition model, is now a highly...
Being a proud yet protective grandpa I was very interested when Brainwavz offered to let me review a pair of sound level attenuated headphones for kids. I would love to pass on my...
Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 198post #2956 of 66384/9/14 at 7:43pmOddly enough, I got mine in November 2013 and got a converter cable and pelican case.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2957 of 66384/10/14 at 7:22am
This is the adapter my pair of headphones came with last week.
About the headphones: I just love em. I auditioned the Rev 2 about a month back and I can't really say the new one is brighter. Maybe it's just me, but it's definitely not night and day.
I use it with a Schiit Lyr and I'm thinking about upgrading my source. I'm currently using it via the Logitech Squeezebox Touch without DAC... I know I know, not very audiophile. But I think I'll get the Bifrost and a different source soon.
What are you guys using as a source? Any recommendation would be great!
Edited by Cavcalade - 4/10/14 at 7:23ampost #2958 of 66384/10/14 at 10:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Taowolf51
I had some spare wood left over from building acoustic treatments, so I slapped together a headphone stand for my LCD-2's. I'll probably build a better quality one later (and a smaller one for my D7000's).
Also, that ugly white thing is a prototype suspension headband I made out of a tube sock. It makes the headphones far far more comfortable than stock but looks a bit crappy at the moment, I'll be making a good looking version out of leather one of these days.
I would like to see the final version of the suspention headband, clever idea.
Edited by logam - 4/10/14 at 10:11ampost #2959 of 66384/11/14 at 12:42pm
Will do. I'm still mulling over the design. I'm trying to figure out how to make it adjustable without modifying the LCD-2's in any way.
Also, I just got some working tubes for my Quickie (RT 3S4 tubes) and sticking this between my XDA-2 and XPA-200 feeding the LCD-2's is blowing me away. I think I've finally found a setup as involving as the LCD-X WA6-SE combo I heard back at the Philly meet! These tubes seem to be a lot more colored than the stock tubes but are just awesome. Fast and smooth, slight bass emphasis and NO fatigue even with my DSP corrections that make it more balanced.
Oh god this is amazing.post #2960 of 66384/15/14 at 12:40pmpost #2961 of 66384/15/14 at 12:57pm
As a believer in cable upgrades - I can honestly tell you Audeze stock cable is a simple non-isolated cable. The copper strands do only have plastic/PVC shielding. That's all... A more quality design cable (Norse/ALO/Entreq/Canare etc.) brings more micro-detail.
Ofcourse it's all about budget, but I think it's a good investment for long term... And every cable has it's own soundcharacteristic. It's what you like best - and also what's best match in your system. I do like Entreq Konstantin 2010 with my LCD-2. This cable gave me biggest level of detail in comparison with other brands of cables... But my hearing and preferencesd are different as yours. There's no universal thruth :-) Hope my answer will help a bit in your quest...
Edited by PAM005 - 4/15/14 at 12:59pmpost #2962 of 66384/15/14 at 3:06pm
Thanks for the reply. At what price point do you think custom cables for the LCD 2 start to outperform the stock cable? For example, say the best quality cable at $50 for the LCD2 performs similar to the stock cable and therefore would not be worth buying but maybe, for example, say the best quality $200 cable has a noticeable improvement in SQ vs stock and therefore represents the minimum investment in a cable to be worthwhile.post #2963 of 66384/15/14 at 4:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by PTom
Thanks for the reply. At what price point do you think custom cables for the LCD 2 start to outperform the stock cable? For example, say the best quality cable at $50 for the LCD2 performs similar to the stock cable and therefore would not be worth buying but maybe, for example, say the best quality $200 cable has a noticeable improvement in SQ vs stock and therefore represents the minimum investment in a cable to be worthwhile.
Well the stock cable from Audeze is 80.00. Don't think you can upgrade for 50.00 . Anyway after much research I ordered the Audiophile cable for Audeze from Charleston Cable company.
It is 235.00 for five foot with no sleeve and 1/4 " termination. It is shipping now so I don't have a opinion on it yet. I was looking for a cable that could enhance detail possibly but not change sound signature in any way, especially higher frequencies.post #2964 of 66384/15/14 at 8:36pm
Shultzee is right, you can't hardly upgrade for a price below USD 80,= Think of a reasonable interconnect with standard length of 80cm. For your headphone you need about 3-times this length. So pricing is in this region. Ofcourse deduct 2-times costs of RCA connectors ;-) I think starting USD 200,= is a good indication. But it's not always about pricing! It's mainly material and construction that counts...post #2965 of 66384/15/14 at 9:10pmpost #2966 of 66384/15/14 at 9:54pmpost #2967 of 66384/16/14 at 4:16am
Finally I pulled the trigger in the new Violectric V281 and just preorderer one, cant wait to pair it with the 2.2s!! Expected arrival in June.
Just had a few mails with Fried from Lake People and he assured me that it will deliver lots of power!! A better version of the already brilliant Violectric V200 with balanced output must be an astonishing product.post #2968 of 66384/16/14 at 5:16amQuote:
I've upgraded my stock LCD-2 cable a few weeks back. After much "internet fact finding", I went fro the Entreq Konstantin 2012 cable.
For me this turned out to be an awesome upgrade. Soundstage improved, more controlled base and better highs, without getting trying (and it looks really nice as well ). I'm very happy with my Entreq cable.
Of course there are many more cables out there and it all comes down to budget. One other cable to check out would be Forza Audio Works, I've ordered a Color Cable for my HE-400 and that also works real well, great build quality and top-notch customer service. I've also read good reviews about their Noire mkII cable.post #2969 of 66384/16/14 at 2:31pmQuote:
I had a similar experience with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. In addition to the mentioned traits, imaging was also improved. With the stock cable, my LCD-2 was slightly hazy in terms of imaging placement. With the Silver Dragon it became pinpoint specific with more well defined layers. I know some folks claim cable upgrades are a load of rubbish, but I also found the difference to be quite noticeable.post #2970 of 66384/16/14 at 2:40pm
Some interesting comments about cables. I'm thinking of upgrading my setup gradually. What would be the best order to upgrade (I currently have the O2/ODAC combo). Maybe something like:
Or cables first maybe?
- Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 16 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 43 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 48 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - The Shard Event 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 2 minutes ago
- › Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-MA900 like new. 3 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-1000 by Blackrain
- › RBH EP-3 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso DAC1 ESS9018 DAC and Headphone Preamp by iDesign
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000Z by Currawong
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2