Tyll seems like he's digging deep down to the bottom of it all because he's delayed his LCD-X and Audeze lineup review for like 2 weeks now hahaha.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Grado PS-1000 with leather Audeze Headband Last post on 9/8/11 at 6:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Travel Case for Audez'e LCD-2 Last post on 8/12/14 at 10:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How long does it take Audeze to ship Headphones from the time they receive payment? Last post on 4/20/11 at 2:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the deal with Audez'e? Last post on 1/10/11 at 1:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AUDEZ'E versus WHARFEDALE ISODYNAMICS? Last post on 9/15/11 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I have typed up this review @audio-technica.com a few months back and I thought I should also put it here. First, I would like to apologize for my very vague description of the sound (and...
Just to be clear - this is a small portable speaker. So when I talk about bass, sound clarity and what not - keep that in mind. You can't compare it desktop speakers - No wait, you...
Sound Signature. If I were to describe this cans, the V shape would be fitting, but it is just a moderate V shape, nothing overly pronounced but not flat by any means. Bass. This is where the...
After spending some time auditioning and researching I've finally found that illusive nirvana, the perfect mix of price, design and sound for me. I wanted a DAC minus the frills. As a HD800...
I have felt compelled to attempt my first review after recently building Bottleheads premium diy headphone amplifier offering the Bottlehead Mainline. I have built a few of their kits now and...
Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 192
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2867 of 61184/2/14 at 6:24pm
I'm not sure I consider adding the fazors a change in the drivers, and we have yet to see any evidence that the voicing of the LCD-2/3 is substantially changed. Some people think the LCD-2 signature has changed a bit over the past year, but that was before the fazors were added. The fazors have some effect, but the nature and magnitude is still unclear.post #2868 of 61184/2/14 at 6:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by Barry S
I'm not sure I consider adding the fazors a change in the drivers, and we have yet to see any evidence that the voicing of the LCD-2/3 is substantially changed. Some people think the LCD-2 signature has changed a bit over the past year, but that was before the fazors were added. The fazors have some effect, but the nature and magnitude is still unclear.
Yeah. It still seems a bit lost in the ether at the moment, regarding what all has been tweaked. This is why I'm really looking forward to Tyll's review; I suspect he'll get to the bottom of it.
Regardless of the conclusion, I couldn't be happier with my early 2014 LCD 2's, they're spectacular and I have no regrets in purchasing them.post #2869 of 61184/2/14 at 8:48pmpost #2870 of 61184/2/14 at 8:57pmQuote:
I'm using an Emotiva, but not the Emotiva often recommended. I'm using the XPA-200 because I had it on me, tried it out, and loved how it made my LCD-2's sound.
I know the Millenia MG3 is recommended as another speaker amp for headphones. The manufacturer apparently will even make custom resistor boxes/converter for any headphone you wish.post #2871 of 61184/2/14 at 9:26pmQuote:
I asked this a few pages back. While I haven't tried it, Marantz seems to get a lot of love.post #2872 of 61184/2/14 at 9:41pmQuote:
Right,thought I heard Marantz was a good match....Just saw some old school Sansui's this afternoon.
I'm also looking at a bit of an obscure one - Temple Audio Bantam Gold Class D amp but it will be a bit of a wildcard with that one. But I do know it is supposed to go well with the Bushmaster MK2 DAC I have.
Thanks Taowolf as well.
Edited by Lohb - 4/2/14 at 9:44pmpost #2873 of 61184/2/14 at 11:07pmYep I use my rev 1 LCD2s with a Decware 'Taboo model II' (tube) amp. It was optioned with an hp out - single-ended - which is how I used it for two years. It sounded terrific.
However, Steve Deckert of Decware regretted the way he implemented the SE out and since produced the current model with balanced hp outs.
Obviously I don't have that option with mine so recently I soldered up a speaker taps to XLR connector. Didn't like the more forward and brash (though also more transparent) sound for the first few days but quickly adapted and would now not go back. An interesting experience. (I don't need a resistor box with this 6W/8R amp, and can run speakers in parallel if I want).
(I did also try my 250W Class A monster amp - stunning imaging, separation and palpable realism, but definitely not a practical desktop amp )post #2874 of 61184/2/14 at 11:38pmThread StarterQuote:
That's how they work - they have made numerous minor incremental improvements since the very first shipment. They seem rather obsessed with perfecting the LCD series.post #2875 of 61184/3/14 at 12:26am
I've asked an Audeze rep on headfi directly about the sound signature changes over the last while, my question is in the LCD3 thread. Hoping to hear back very soon about whether the LCD2 has a fazor added which altered the sound or if the sound signature change was outside of that - deliberately a rev 3 if you will.
I don't own a LCD as the weight is much to heavy for my neck, as I'm slight of build - but I also am awaiting information on such a thing. I did hear a newer LCD2 and though that it did not gel with the impressions I had heard about it being quite dark and fairly forgiving - much brighter and weaker in the bass than expected.
Edited by UNIFi - 4/3/14 at 12:28ampost #2876 of 61184/3/14 at 12:35am
"fazor technology" - one of the ways to combat the effects of reflections from the ear cups or signal on the membrane.
The point trapezoidal ribs protective grille that part of the signal dissipates laterally.
In fact, the decision controversial and not very effective. Although better with him than without him, but not much. In my opinion, it is much more efficient to do on the grill sound absorbing coating.post #2877 of 61184/3/14 at 1:00amQuote:
I have been using my Rev2 LCD-2's for the past year via XLR>Banana plug adapter with a Yamaha home theater receiver and more recently a Harman Kardon receiver with great results. Both are several years old that I had on hand after upgrading my main home theater receiver. I figured to save some money and use what I had available, rather than buying a Lyr, Emotiva mini-x, etc., and experiment with what feeding the LCD-2's some extra power can do. For a brief time I was only using a Schiit Asgard 1 but once the speaker adapter arrived they've been hooked up to the receivers ever since. Obviously you have to be careful with the volume knob but the extra power is certainly evident in the sound quality. Everything just seemed to "open up" as if the LCD-2's had so much more breathing room. I do not notice any difference in sound between both receivers though.
Now, I'm in no rush to upgrade or switch to a higher priced dedicated headphone amp more suited for the LCD-2's but having something more practical than a home theater receiver would be nice. I wonder how much of a difference or "step up" a high current headphone amp like a Lyr or Mjolnir would be over these home theater receivers. I thought planars/orthos craved high current and that amps, brands, or synergy weren't too much of a concern? Any thoughts?post #2878 of 61184/3/14 at 2:20amQuote:
I heard several people say that there is a change in bass response after the fazor upgrade. So I'm not really sure if I should consider this an improvement. Maybe you're better off with the pre-fazor or even late 2012 or early 2013 model.
I haven't heard my pair yet, as it is still stuck in Cologne. So let's just wait and see what Tyll will tell us.post #2879 of 61184/3/14 at 3:11amHi Venger77 I think the "crave current" comes from their low impedance in general and the rather hard-to-drive HE6 in particular. The HE6 though is not typical.
I've never understood the idea the LCD2 are "forgiving" and synergize with any amp. For sure my LCD2 r1 sounds very different from amp to amp: not good with the Violectric V100 (too warm, bass loose and not tuneful; great with other cans though); very good with the Meier Classic; and spectacular with the Decware Taboo (speaker) amp, to name a few.
Both of the latter two make the r1 come alive, the Taboo most of all. Both have tight, balanced, detailed bass - you need this with Audez'e phones because of their near flat bass and low mids - good to great midrange and inject sparkle in the highs.
I have the Lyr too. Showed great promise with e.g. the Matsu 6922 in the lower priced area. But I never could bring myself to commit the fabulous sums needed for the 'right' tubes - assuming I could even have found any. They soon became unobtainium. It was just cheaper to buy and tube a Decware!post #2880 of 61184/3/14 at 4:25pm
I think the 'forgiving nature' is that they don't really care about output impedence as much on an amp... though they are reported to sound awful with the BHC. Being a near purely flat resistance across all frequency takes out a lot of synergystic elements in my mind. Audeze recommends 1-4 W on their site, so the average speaker amp is probably better than the average headphone amp. On the same subject... with the Fazor tech, does that mean the 2's will be different to drive? Higher sensitivity and lower impedance are quite apparent in the X's.
- Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 7 seconds ago
- › pc audio set up suggestions 1 minute ago
- › Help with growing ear canals 2 minutes ago
- › Best ~$60 Closed Headphone? 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones. 5 minutes ago
- › Open headphone soundstage vs volume (?) 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread 7 minutes ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 7 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 8 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by Feilong4
- › Sony SRSX3 Portable NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Black) with... by xlordvader
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by MCouary
- › Arcam irDAC Audiophile Grade Digital to Analog Converter by cub3
- › Bottlehead Mainline by JamieMcC
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by viperxp
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi® Matrix2 AF62 Stereo Bluetooth®... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone Amplifier by mark2410
- › Topping VX1 2x25W Hi-Fi Power Stereo Subwoofer Amplifier... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Aurisonics ASG-2.5 Generic Fit Digital-Hybrid In-Ear Monitors in... by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2