or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 145

post #2161 of 9756

Happy New Year everyone. :beerchug: At least you're not all sword-fighting over tech details across the midnight hour like the other thread I just read....jeez !

 

I'm pretty much on same wavelength as MattTCG regarding the sound sig.

I like..... deep and dark with recessed treble....therefore in 2014 I think I'll be looking to pick up a pair of used LCD-2s to add to my cans list.

I'm looking for the best of HFM 400's bass without that upper range fatigue that the 400's have.

Can anyone tell me the best revision to hunt down ? I will have to replace the pads with suede or whatever the alternative material is they use to leather. Hope that does affect the SQ too much

post #2162 of 9756

Ear cups can change things significantly are you allergic to leather or a vegan?

 

I owned a Rev1 and Rev2. Rev1 surely has more of the darker bit if that is what you are after. Tonal balance about the only difference to the Rev2 I feel.

I would probably preferr getting one of those with metal around the connectors because mine has a crack there. Which is the reason for the design change I am sure I know several that got that crack. But I am not sure what to do with it. I have warranty but if it would stay like this and not getting any worse I don´t mind it. It has been the same for over a year now.

 

Personally I opted to keep the Rev 2 but can´t go wrong either way I feel. 

What I find really odd is that the LCD-2 nowadays is more expensive then when it was released? It was never really a cheap headphone to begin with.

post #2163 of 9756
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
 

Ear cups can change things significantly are you allergic to leather or a vegan?

Humidity ! Need vegan/velour where I live about 8 out of 12 months...So I think version 1 it will be some time this year when they turn up on F/s threads. Audeze cans just look so so excellent and streets ahead from everything else from an exterior design perspective. If they could just crack the excess weight problem....fewer stronger magnets...? Just guessing there :L3000:


Edited by Lohb - 1/1/14 at 9:04am
post #2164 of 9756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomeplay View Post
 

 

I can't help but be a collector, So that's likely the route I'll end up going. I get quite sick of having the same sound signature for a long period of time regardless of how perfect it is. I found myself getting very tiresome of my LCD2s before I took a break and used my Grados for a couple of weeks.

 

I can't help but notice you've parted with your LCD3 for the X and XC. Does another pair of your cans hit the marks that you used your LCD3s for?

The LCD-X hit that mark for me and the XCs do it very well when I need a closed pair of headphones. 

post #2165 of 9756
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post
 

Humidity ! Need vegan/velour where I live about 8 out of 12 months...So I think version 1 it will be some time this year when they turn up on F/s threads. Audeze cans just look so so excellent and streets ahead from everything else from an exterior design perspective. If they could just crack the excess weight problem....fewer stronger magnets...? Just guessing there :L3000:

 

It's odd, Audeze doesn't seem to be doing much about their weight problem, each headphone they make is heavier than the last and the headband padding (at least on the leather headband) is minimal at best. I'm planning on building a big thick headband pad with memory foam as soon as I get the funds. I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else who has done the same, it looks like a reasonably easy process.

post #2166 of 9756

I'm somewhat surprised that Audeze hasn't spend more time making the headband more comfortable.  For me, it just doesn't distribute weight well due to the pressure points. HFM has a much thinner/less padded headband that distributes weight better. 

post #2167 of 9756
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I'm somewhat surprised that Audeze hasn't spend more time making the headband more comfortable.  For me, it just doesn't distribute weight well due to the pressure points. HFM has a much thinner/less padded headband that distributes weight better. 

 

True, the pad is actually convex (in both directions too!), which is the worst shape for comfort because it reduces surface area. The SR-009's are about as heavy as my LCD-2's, and because of the large suspended headband, it's very comfortable (even though it is just a strip of leather).

 

Audeze's old foam headband, while ugly, was far more comfortable.

post #2168 of 9756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post
 

 

True, the pad is actually convex (in both directions too!), which is the worst shape for comfort because it reduces surface area. The SR-009's are about as heavy as my LCD-2's, and because of the large suspended headband, it's very comfortable (even though it is just a strip of leather).

 

Audeze's old foam headband, while ugly, was far more comfortable.

 

I agree on all points here. The old foam was ugly and certainly more comfortable. I had no idea that the sr009 was about as heavy as the lcd. Just goes to show that the design does work. I can say that same about Mr. Speakers with the comfort strap on the AD and MD...very comfy despite the weight. 

post #2169 of 9756
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

I agree on all points here. The old foam was ugly and certainly more comfortable. I had no idea that the sr009 was about as heavy as the lcd. Just goes to show that the design does work. I can say that same about Mr. Speakers with the comfort strap on the AD and MD...very comfy despite the weight. 

 

Yep, new bamboo LCD-2 is 490g, SR-009 is 454g (both without cables). The LCD-X is 600g and the Denon D7000 360g for comparison (both without cable).


Edited by Taowolf51 - 1/2/14 at 11:39am
post #2170 of 9756

That 600grams on the lcd-x has really exceeded the boundary IMO. I can certainly appreciate the guys who can wear them comfortably for long sessions. But for me, I wouldn't be able to use them for more than an hour. Sometimes I work on projects for work from home and will listen for three hours or more. 

post #2171 of 9756

That's my problem. The LCD-X is my absolute favorite headphone (I preferred it to all the heavyweights I've tried, which is most of them) but the weight may be what prevents me from getting it. They replaced the wood ring with (what I believe is) a solid aluminum ring. Despite this, it's still way more comfortable than the Abyss IMO (and way WAY better sounding, but again IMO).

 

I also listen to music when working, and my work sessions can reach 15 hours at times (and usually will be around 6-8 hours). The D7000's have been a godsend for that, at least. With the headband mod I use with it (the one I'm using on my LCD-2 now, an HD650 pad stuck to the headband), it's almost weightless, and even stock it's probably more comfortable than I could ever make my LCD-2.


Edited by Taowolf51 - 1/2/14 at 12:31pm
post #2172 of 9756

3h is nothing. But yes if I would hunch down on an unergonomic desk and write or paint something I probably wouldn´t want to use the LCD-2s. But can´t say they are a real problem in my cockpit, recliner or sofa but certainly the least comfortable headphones I ever owned apart from AKG K81DJs which is just horrendous.

 

But still my modded DX 1000 is so close and sometimes ahead so yes it may steal some time just due to the comfort factor. They also have a bad headband. Have more problem with it then the LCD-2 leather headband. The design choice of that was kind of a mystery yes but I have no big problems with it anyway though the foam was better.

post #2173 of 9756
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

That 600grams on the lcd-x has really exceeded the boundary IMO. I can certainly appreciate the guys who can wear them comfortably for long sessions. But for me, I wouldn't be able to use them for more than an hour. Sometimes I work on projects for work from home and will listen for three hours or more. 

 

wow 600gms... :duggfloat:

 

http://www.sunrisemedical.com/Community/News/USA/2013/January/Whitmyer-Head-Support-Adjustment-Videos.aspx

 


Edited by Lorspeaker - 1/2/14 at 10:46pm
post #2174 of 9756

Hi guys could anyone give me any advice for a good amp to get, I'm really fed up with the Pro-Ject amp box not being able to drive these beautiful headphones and vinyl is starting to become my more frequently used format as I expand my collection, so any thoughts and anybody care to shed some light on the Schitt Lyr, I'm looking for silky smooth female vocals because in every other aspects the LCD2 had nailed it for me. Any help asap would be appreciated and cheers to a great 2014 guys :beerchug: 

post #2175 of 9756
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlyant View Post
 

Hi guys could anyone give me any advice for a good amp to get, I'm really fed up with the Pro-Ject amp box not being able to drive these beautiful headphones and vinyl is starting to become my more frequently used format as I expand my collection, so any thoughts and anybody care to shed some light on the Schitt Lyr, I'm looking for silky smooth female vocals because in every other aspects the LCD2 had nailed it for me. Any help asap would be appreciated and cheers to a great 2014 guys :beerchug: 

 

I had the pairing for probably somewhere around 6 months, I found the Lyr to make the LCD2 sound a little bit thin but with a lot of air. The dynamics definitely weren't there for me without driving them to ear splitting levels. That isn't to say that it didn't sound good though. It was a great synergy for acoustic styles of music and most vocals, but it didn't hit the mark as an all arounder for me if we're adding rock music and various forms of electronica.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread