Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 131

post #1951 of 3808

Something strange I noticed about my cable. On the left channel part of the cable (when plugged into my headphones) goes straight from the split to the mini XLR. However, on the right side the cable does a 180 degree turn from the split to the mini XLR. Is that normal? I'm hoping my headphones don't have reversed polarity in the right channel (though I bet I would notice it if it did).

post #1952 of 3808

my 2 cents...

 

I think I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread (like two or three months ago) that the newer LCD-2 sounds brighter and more open, thus decreasing the perceived bass quanitity. More upper energy = perceived bass decrease. Despite this the bass is still very well extended and hits hard when called for, going down well past 50~20 hertz.. It's just that the upper-mids aren't as recessed as the R2's from 2011 or early 2012. I noticed this change in the summer of 2012 when they switched out the dampening felt material for the thinner foam. This was when the LCD-3 was being "unveiled". LOL.

 

The latest version I have (drivers from October of 2013) are way more neutral than an Audez'e used to be. Like Matt I was initially confused because I was looking for that specific LCD-2 dark coloration, but over time I've come to appreciate/ and like it much more. I think it's just a evolution of the R2. It sounds more open than ever and the treble is silkier too even though there is more of it. It's now much closer to the HE-500 in terms of tonality but it's still got that Audez'e lushness a bit. I no longer consider the LCD-2 a basshead's wet dream. It's just slight bassy of neutral now. Very slight.

 

But yeah look for dat bass extension. It's there. Or send it back to Audez'e for repair. Audez'e customer service is one of the best if not the best in the industry I've experienced. Especially the current Support team is really awesome.


Edited by M-13 - 11/22/13 at 5:54pm
post #1953 of 3808

M-13...

 

I would agree completely with what you've said and would support this theory. In my mind, I have a clear and cataloged memory of the sound signature from the set that I demoed just over a year ago. This new set sounds exactly as you've described them. I also feel as you do that this is a deliberate move on the part of Audeze to improve the sound. And to most people, I think that they would agree that the sound has in fact improved as it seems to move closer towards lcd3 territory. 

 

But, not to me. I am a self professed "dark signature" junkie. I prefer the darker sound of phones like the hd650 and Maddog. Much of the preference comes from being treble sensitive and fatiguing easily with brighter hp's, even with hp's that some might call neutral. Still, I refuse to give up that delicious extended audiophile bass that I still have firmly etched in my memory. If these "new" lcd's can't delivery the same bass, then I just can't live with them.  

post #1954 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

M-13...

 

I would agree completely with what you've said and would support this theory. In my mind, I have a clear and cataloged memory of the sound signature from the set that I demoed just over a year ago. This new set sounds exactly as you've described them. I also feel as you do that this is a deliberate move on the part of Audeze to improve the sound. And to most people, I think that they would agree that the sound has in fact improved as it seems to move closer towards lcd3 territory. 

 

But, not to me. I am a self professed "dark signature" junkie. I prefer the darker sound of phones like the hd650 and Maddog. Much of the preference comes from being treble sensitive and fatiguing easily with brighter hp's, even with hp's that some might call neutral. Still, I refuse to give up that delicious extended audiophile bass that I still have firmly etched in my memory. If these "new" lcd's can't delivery the same bass, then I just can't live with them.  


If I was in your shoes? I would try to pick up a LCD-2 R1, used of course. That will give you the dark chocolatey classic Audez'e signature at a fair price. Yummy. I remember my first R2 from 2011, right when R2 first came out. Now that bass was something to behold. JEBUS!

post #1955 of 3808

Can I get the new connector type on the type of lcd2 that I seek? 

post #1956 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Can I get the new connector type on the type of lcd2 that I seek? 

 

You mean the LCD-3 like angled connector? I don't think so (unless you're into heavy modding).

post #1957 of 3808
M-13,

Thank you for that thorough review. I have been patiently waiting to get the LCD-2 to compliment my HE-500 but as it sounds now I am not sure this is a wise idea. I guess I will hold out to see what the results of the LCD-X/XC turn out to be.

Kind of irritating as I been waiting for that LCD-2 bass.

Sorry to hear of you situation MattTCG, I hope you get it figured/straightened out.
post #1958 of 3808

Just found my old FR graph for the LCD2 here it is

 

 

 

Anyway, listening to Jex Thoth Blood Moon Rise - so good on the LCD2 ofc.

post #1959 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmoday View Post

M-13,

Thank you for that thorough review. I have been patiently waiting to get the LCD-2 to compliment my HE-500 but as it sounds now I am not sure this is a wise idea. I guess I will hold out to see what the results of the LCD-X/XC turn out to be.

Kind of irritating as I been waiting for that LCD-2 bass.

Sorry to hear of you situation MattTCG, I hope you get it figured/straightened out.


They're still different. Not as different as before.

But specifically in the bass the LCD-2 extends better and has better control.

The funny thing is that HE-500 has more impact (moves more air into your eardrum), so it hits harder and is slightly looser (rumbling) and also extends fairly low but the extension is cleaner and more apparent on the LCD-2.

 

But you're right... they're not really complimentary. I do enjoy them both though... they're both a different interpretation of neutral (for me on a personel level, not the technical term for neutral) and thus they both have a special place in my heart.

post #1960 of 3808

Again, I agree that the new lcd2 that I have now would not be that complimentary to the he500. They are certainly voiced in that direction, whereas the old lcd2 would have been a good compliment. 

post #1961 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


They're still different. Not as different as before.

But specifically in the bass the LCD-2 extends better and has better control.

The funny thing is that HE-500 has more impact (moves more air into your eardrum), so it hits harder and is slightly looser (rumbling) and also extends fairly low but the extension is cleaner and more apparent on the LCD-2.

 

But you're right... they're not really complimentary. I do enjoy them both though... they're both a different interpretation of neutral (for me on a personel level, not the technical term for neutral) and thus they both have a special place in my heart.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Again, I agree that the new lcd2 that I have now would not be that complimentary to the he500. They are certainly voiced in that direction, whereas the old lcd2 would have been a good compliment. 

 

I figured when I was almost in a position to buy them, they would change them. I wanted something to compliment the HE-500 not more of the same. I guess maybe its time to think about the 3/x/xc or just go in a totally different path. :angry_face:

post #1962 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmoday View Post
 

 

 

 

I figured when I was almost in a position to buy them, they would change them. I wanted something to compliment the HE-500 not more of the same. I guess maybe its time to think about the 3/x/xc or just go in a totally different path. :angry_face:

 

First of all, please take my impressions with a grain of salt. While I feel that what I've said is accurate, possibly there is some break in to be done here. I certainly don't won't to put people off of this hp. Even the one that I have now is truly impressive. It just doesn't suit my preferred signature as the one I auditioned previously did. 

 

I thought about the 3/x/xc, but the price and weight seems somewhat out of hand to me. 

post #1963 of 3808

MattTCG,

 

I really appreciate your incite and comments as what you tend to favor sound wise really fits with mine. Even though I really like the HE-500, my real love is the HD650, and the way the old(er) LCD-2's were described really seemed like what I would love and make for a nice compliment to the HE-500 plus move them to probably my favorite headphone. 

 

Based on your assessment of the newer ones, I am not thinking they are bad at all. They just don't seem like what I am currently looking for and maybe will never find with the headphones currently out there.

post #1964 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

First of all, please take my impressions with a grain of salt. While I feel that what I've said is accurate, possibly there is some break in to be done here. I certainly don't won't to put people off of this hp. Even the one that I have now is truly impressive. It just doesn't suit my preferred signature as the one I auditioned previously did. 

 

I thought about the 3/x/xc, but the price and weight seems somewhat out of hand to me. 

Have you tried changing the pads? I belive the new pads were found to move them closer to LCD-3 territory

post #1965 of 3808

I have no other pads.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread