Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 95

post #1411 of 4099
Obviously
post #1412 of 4099
See how it works is, the train moves not the station:)
post #1413 of 4099

And right now the train has derailed itself from it's track.

post #1414 of 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

There is a thin membrane in the middle sandwiched between the two pcb's. If you blow into it, it moves a little bit.

 

And if you blow into it a lot, all the money moves out of your wallet. tongue.gif

post #1415 of 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

And if you blow into it a lot, all the money moves out of your wallet. tongue.gif

hahaha. True true. I didn't blow into it too hard as the membrane seems to be suspended pretty drum tight but also thicker than the ones used in Stax earspeakers and I don't want one side sticking to either of the PCB's. 

 

Still deciding on a stain colour to dye the rosewoods in. 

 

Any suggestions?

post #1416 of 4099

some gold dust suspended in clear resintongue.gif

post #1417 of 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

hahaha. True true. I didn't blow into it too hard as the membrane seems to be suspended pretty drum tight but also thicker than the ones used in Stax earspeakers and I don't want one side sticking to either of the PCB's. 

 

Still deciding on a stain colour to dye the rosewoods in. 

 

Any suggestions?

 

TH900's are gorgeous. Think you could do something like that?
post #1418 of 4099
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

hahaha. True true. I didn't blow into it too hard as the membrane seems to be suspended pretty drum tight but also thicker than the ones used in Stax earspeakers and I don't want one side sticking to either of the PCB's. 

 

What PCBs? Each speaker has one membrane with a printed circuit on it, and magnets on each side. That's all there is. 

post #1419 of 4099

DefQon,

Any idea what they do to those Lawton Audio cups to get them so shiny?  Those look really really nice, though I don't really know if that shiny finish would look good on LCD2s, but you could be the first to try!

post #1420 of 4099

Its been two days on the LCDs...my neck is breaking in......how many hours to go b4 the strain on my neck settles?

tongue_smile.gif

 

the sound has been glorious, a big wall of sound. v much to my liking. and no high shrills no matter how loud i tune up the volume. 

big orchestration on this planar is a treat.

beerchug.gif

post #1421 of 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

 

TH900's are gorgeous. Think you could do something like that?

Not a chance, there are few people here that I know that can apply a finish like the TH900 but it doesn't come cheap. So far I'm just sticking to what I can obtain and do myself.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post

 

What PCBs? Each speaker has one membrane with a printed circuit on it, and magnets on each side. That's all there is. 

lol you just answered your own question, there are two printed circuit boards on each side and in the middle is the membrane/diaphragm sandwiched drum tight. Both side of the PCB have striped circuitry on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haejuk View Post

DefQon,

Any idea what they do to those Lawton Audio cups to get them so shiny?  Those look really really nice, though I don't really know if that shiny finish would look good on LCD2s, but you could be the first to try!

That'd either be some sort of polish polyutherene finish or they must've used a clear hardwearing acrylic mask/sealant over the base wood finish. Personally those type of finishes look really good on closed wooden cup's due to the large surface area so you can show off the shininess and finish. The LCD2's base ring housing can only have some sort of finish on the sides, so I'm deciding on a good stain then applying polyutherene over it for the final finish and shininess.

post #1422 of 4099
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

lol you just answered your own question, there are two printed circuit boards on each side and in the middle is the membrane/diaphragm sandwiched drum tight. Both side of the PCB have striped circuitry on it.

 

There is only a membrane (with a circuit printed on it) sandwhiched between the magnets. No extra PCB.

post #1423 of 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Not a chance, there are few people here that I know that can apply a finish like the TH900 but it doesn't come cheap. So far I'm just sticking to what I can obtain and do myself.

 

I wish I had the cajones and the skill to do it.  I think LCD-2's would be amazing with that finish.

 

The Fostex is so good looking I want it regardless of cost or sound quality; I just want to look at them.

post #1424 of 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post

 

There is only a membrane (with a circuit printed on it) sandwhiched between the magnets. No extra PCB.

Wrong. Since I've pulled apart mine and I have it right in front of me. Each of the 6 horizontal stripes have small magnets underneath the stripes next to the opening, the rest of the surrounding is thick PCB. On both sides. the membrane is securely sandwiched between the two thick PCB's that is secured to the baffle.

 

To further illustrate my point, I'll demonstrate with some pictures.

 

 

 

 

 Picture resolution a bit too big but click on it full screen mode to see it more clear.


Edited by DefQon - 7/17/13 at 5:45pm
post #1425 of 4099
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

 

I wish I had the cajones and the skill to do it.  I think LCD-2's would be amazing with that finish.

 

The Fostex is so good looking I want it regardless of cost or sound quality; I just want to look at them.

The colour would look hideous on the LCD2's but the finish would look great.

 

Speaking of which, now that I know how the drivers are put together, if one had the right equipment, the LCD2's drivers are quite easy to make and reverse-engineer. Nothing like the insides of the Hifiman drivers I've seen with use of gold/silver coils.


Edited by DefQon - 7/17/13 at 5:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread