or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 88

post #1306 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

 

Well, I can't offer an opinion, though even if I could I don't know if you could call it the truth.

 

 

700

post #1307 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I don't understand your point?blink.gif

 

 


 

 

 

Because any of the sources I've tried the HD800 out of so far have not yielded natural sounding results.

 

There's no getting around its treble.  While a lot of headphones have a peak around 10k, HD800 has a plateau from like 5k-10k.  For whatever reason Sennheiser has been in love with peaks around 5-6k as of recent.  

post #1308 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

I'm dying to hear these HD800's.  I really want to know if I'll appreciate this instrument separation.  I mean when I go to the symphony I hear the overall sound the composer intended, not 60 or 70 individual instruments.  Can you actually hear that there's (sometimes) 30 violins playing at once?  I've heard it said the HD800's are more natural sounding than LCD's.  That's a bold statement, but if it's true, the HD800's must really be something.

Well, you would hear what 30 violins sound like at once. Not 30 separate violins ha. I'd say they are more natural only in respect to being closer to the original recording. There are peeps who will argue that the LCD2's are great for putting you in a nice warm room with a Jazz quartet for e.g. And I'd agree that that is a natural sounding characteristic as well. Different points of view. 

 

If I was listening to a good recording of Bach's solo cello works for e.g. I might enjoy it more with the LCD2's because they can add a certain charm and color to bring out the best attributes of an instrument such as the cello. But If I want more realism then I'd go for HD800's. 

post #1309 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

 

 

Because any of the sources I've tried the HD800 out of so far have not yielded natural sounding results.

 

There's no getting around its treble.  While a lot of headphones have a peak around 10k, HD800 has a plateau from like 5k-10k.  For whatever reason Sennheiser has been in love with peaks around 5-6k as of recent.  

 

O I C.  Well in that case I went through a lot.  New aftermarket cable, new amp and new DAC.  So yeah.  A lot can be relative as well.  There's folks getting really good results with the M-stage..

post #1310 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

How much money do you have to lay out to make the HD800 sound natural?

$50 vintage receiver :D

post #1311 of 9944

Due to the way people talk, I seriously doubt M-Stage or a 50 dollar receiver could do the trick.

post #1312 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Well, you would hear what 30 violins sound like at once. Not 30 separate violins ha. I'd say they are more natural only in respect to being closer to the original recording. There are peeps who will argue that the LCD2's are great for putting you in a nice warm room with a Jazz quartet for e.g. And I'd agree that that is a natural sounding characteristic as well. Different points of view. 

 

If I was listening to a good recording of Bach's solo cello works for e.g. I might enjoy it more with the LCD2's because they can add a certain charm and color to bring out the best attributes of an instrument such as the cello. But If I want more realism then I'd go for HD800's. 

 

As long as people writing that classical music sounds more realistic through HD800's have actually listened to live classical music I won't argue. But I'm somewhat doubtful that everyone who offers an opinion on the matter has an informed one. Like I can't say if the HD800 is better at reproducing realistic sounding classical music because I've never heard them.  Similarly, those who haven't heard live classical music but both LCD's and HD800's have no basis for saying which headphone does it best because they've never heard it.  They can give an opinion on which they like best, but that's a different thing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Due to the way people talk, I seriously doubt M-Stage or a 50 dollar receiver could do the trick.

 

A garage sale vintage speaker amp might be the best deal for a headphone amp on the planet.  These amps were parts of systems that ran well over $1,000 in the 70's.  They're no joke.


Edited by OPR8R - 6/13/13 at 10:33am
post #1313 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

 

As long as people writing that classical music sounds more realistic through HD800's have actually listened to live classical music I won't argue. But I'm somewhat doubtful that everyone who offers an opinion on the matter has an informed one. Like I can't say if the HD800 is better at reproducing realistic sounding classical music because I've never heard them.  Similarly, those who haven't heard live classical music but both LCD's and HD800's have no basis for saying which headphone does it best because they've never heard it.  They can give an opinion on which they like best, but that's a different thing.

 

Just for the record I've been going to classical concerts for many years. I also have the Sage (one of the best in europe) music venues a couple of miles away from me. It has halls for both chamber and large scale concerts. I've seen from Birtwistle to Wagner played there :) 

post #1314 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Due to the way people talk, I seriously doubt M-Stage or a 50 dollar Vintage receiver could do the trick.

Corrected it for you ;) 

 

Never know till you've tried it... 

post #1315 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Just for the record I've been going to classical concerts for many years. I also have the Sage (one of the best in europe) music venues a couple of miles away from me. It has halls for both chamber and large scale concerts. I've seen from Birtwistle to Wagner played there :) 

 

I'm jealous.  I'm lucky if i get to the symphony 2 times a year anymore.

 

Do you have any favorite classical recordings?

post #1316 of 9944
What's more comfortable for listening to multiple symphonies at a time: the LCD-2 or HD800?
post #1317 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

 

I'm jealous.  I'm lucky if i get to the symphony 2 times a year anymore.

 

Do you have any favorite classical recordings?

Yeah, don't get to go as much as I'd like to. Hard to get baby sitters. Though when he is older I'll be taking him with me... Probs kicking and screaming ha. 

 

I have many favorite recordings. Off the top of my head Barbers Violin Concerto (Gil Shaham LSO), The Nutcracker (Richard Bonyage NPO), Haydn Violin Concertos, (Giuliano Carmignola). 

And more recently Dutilleux - Correspondances (Salonen). 

 

Bach is probs my fave composer followed by Beethoven, In the last few years I've been appreciating more contemporary composers and I like checking out new works from the likes of Ades, Turnage, Benjamin etc. 

 

Cheers

post #1318 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

O I C.  Well in that case I went through a lot.  New aftermarket cable, new amp and new DAC.  So yeah.  A lot can be relative as well.  There's folks getting really good results with the M-stage..
What about HDVD800? Has anyone tried it with LCD2? Does it sound good with HD800, or is it better to look for some other device?
post #1319 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Yeah, don't get to go as much as I'd like to. Hard to get baby sitters. Though when he is older I'll be taking him with me... Probs kicking and screaming ha. 

 

I have many favorite recordings. Off the top of my head Barbers Violin Concerto (Gil Shaham LSO), The Nutcracker (Richard Bonyage NPO), Haydn Violin Concertos, (Giuliano Carmignola). 

And more recently Dutilleux - Correspondances (Salonen). 

 

Bach is probs my fave composer followed by Beethoven, In the last few years I've been appreciating more contemporary composers and I like checking out new works from the likes of Ades, Turnage, Benjamin etc. 

 

Cheers

 

You're a violin concerto fan too.  What do you think of Tchaikovsky's and/or Sibelius's?  I tend to enjoy late romantic stuff, but Bach is hard not to love.


Edited by OPR8R - 6/13/13 at 11:52am
post #1320 of 9944
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPR8R View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Just for the record I've been going to classical concerts for many years. I also have the Sage (one of the best in europe) music venues a couple of miles away from me. It has halls for both chamber and large scale concerts. I've seen from Birtwistle to Wagner played there :) 

 

I'm jealous.  I'm lucky if i get to the symphony 2 times a year anymore.

 

Do you have any favorite classical recordings?

OPR8R, you have the system to make the HD800's sing....Looks kind of familiar to me...biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread