or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread - Page 85

post #1261 of 9743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

I think it depends what genre of electronic you listen to. For drum and bass I actually prefer a sub-bass hump more than a mid-bass hump. The th-600 also has a more linear bass note than the d7k as well. Still more sub-bassy than mid-bassy but they're closer together now imo. Deep, deep sub-bass out of the lcd-2's but it's recessed. 

 

the HE-500 despite lacking really deep bass extension, actually does really good with drum and bass. i don't know why, but they do.

 

oooh the th600-900 sounds interesting, would be nice to have a bit more mid bass, which seemed lacking on the d7k (the LCD-2 outperformed it in midbass punch and slam)

 

its not so much that the LCD-2's sub-bass is recessed, but rather that its not boosted, its neutral, so its played exactly how the recording was made.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 5/28/13 at 1:46am
post #1262 of 9743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by jibzilla I think it depends what genre of electronic you listen to. For drum and bass I actually prefer a sub-bass hump more than a mid-bass hump. The th-600 also has a more linear bass note than the d7k as well. Still more sub-bassy than mid-bassy but they're closer together now imo. Deep, deep sub-bass out of the lcd-2's but it's recessed. the HE-500 despite lacking really deep bass extension, actually does really good with drum and bass. i don't know why, but they do. oooh the th600-900 sounds interesting, would be nice to have a bit more mid bass, which seemed lacking on the d7k (the LCD-2 outperformed it in midbass punch and slam) its not so much that the LCD-2's sub-bass is recessed, but rather that its not boosted, its neutral, so its played exactly how the recording was made.

HE500's subbass is as deep as LCD2 but often shadowed by its harder slam. (Harder is not by much).

LCD2's bass is one of the best IMO (better than 800 and T1) its lightly textured and smooth and goes really deep. If not for smaller soundstage, i will rate it better than 800 with classical...

T1 is like a surgical tool. Paired it with right amp; it will give you the right balance of fun and analytical... Ill rate the T1 above 800.
Edited by knights - 5/28/13 at 2:17am
post #1263 of 9743

Hi,

 

Yes, I think HD800 is clearer, wider soundstage, more separation than LCD3 for classical (own both and HE-6, also clearer than LCD3 significantly but both are poorer in bass than LCD3). I think the LCD3 treble cut off is lower than HD800 and certainly the HE-6...

 

Note that some headfier also said that LCD3 is much better at handling smaller combos of instruments than big band/orchestral assortment...I can't verify that as yet.

 

This is not to be downbeat about the LCD3. Personally for classical, I'd choose HE-6 (or HD800) over LCD3 for sure - more lively cleaner classical sound. That said LCD3 has a slightly smoother mellower recessed sound on listening to Wiener Philharmonic's New Year Concert etc.

post #1264 of 9743

The HD800 is good, just too bright is all and if that's what masquerades as detailed then the fairies have spoken and the sheeple shall follow.  But if there is one lesson I have learned in life is that Senheisser always wins. 

 

Industry leaders are a protected species, we wouldn't want to endanger them now shall we.  But enough of my gripes.

 

Which is why I am seem quite impressed with this new balanced amp from Schiit.  I would buy one if a Weatherby 8mm magnum is'nt beckoning for my funds.  Is it a good pairing with the LCD2?  Perhaps a good tonal match like the Lehmann BCL and X can V3, a little leaner would work well for the fatter tracks.

 

So who owns one? 

 

wink.gif

post #1265 of 9743

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post

The HD800 is good, just too bright is all and if that's what masquerades as detailed then the fairies have spoken and the sheeple shall follow.  But if there is one lesson I have learned in life is that Senheisser always wins. 

 

Industry leaders are a protected species, we wouldn't want to endanger them now shall we.  But enough of my gripes.

 

Which is why I am seem quite impressed with this new balanced amp from Schiit.  I would buy one if a Weatherby 8mm magnum is'nt beckoning for my funds.  Is it a good pairing with the LCD2?  Perhaps a good tonal match like the Lehmann BCL and X can V3, a little leaner would work well for the fatter tracks.

 

So who owns one? 

 

wink.gif

I own the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo and used it with my recently departed LCD2r2s. It worked really well with those cans. I traded them back in for the LCD3s due to soundstage and limited treble out of the 2s. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have just kept those phones but originally I was going to get the 3s anyway so just following through with original plans. Anyway would very definitely recommend the Schiit Audio amp and dac with the LCD2.2s as a great pairing.

post #1266 of 9743

So major newb here... so in order not to panic I thought I'd check in here with you all... I bought/just got the LCD-2 blind and have a WA6SE (with Sophia Princess) and Mini Max DAC Plus with Dexa Discrete op-amps upgrade coming in the near future... plugged the LCD2.2's straight into my iPod and Logitech z5500 headphone jacks and it doesn't much sound better than the Bose headphones I had! Cheap speakers sounded better too with the iPod headphone jack plugged into cheap amps.... basically the iPod sounded like thin grainy distorted farts through the LCD2. I at least expected it to sound clean/decent... can someone reassure me that the headphone amp really effects the sound quality to this degree and that it gets better? Just saying cuz the car's Bose amplifier makes the iPod sound very good apparently (I guess!)... I also don't really hear any of the qualities of the LCD2 people are saying; lush midrange, awesome bass (I hear no bass at all!)... most I can hear is a definite improvement in separation of instruments. Just wondering if this is normal. All the talk about a good headphone rivaling $90,000+ speakers is what is confusing me a bit too as the iPod with a cheap receiver sounds very good to me out of basic Bose speakers.

post #1267 of 9743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post

So major newb here... so in order not to panic I thought I'd check in here with you all... I bought/just got the LCD-2 blind and have a WA6SE (with Sophia Princess) and Mini Max DAC Plus with Dexa Discrete op-amps upgrade coming in the near future... plugged the LCD2.2's straight into my iPod and Logitech z5500 headphone jacks and it doesn't much sound better than the Bose headphones I had! Cheap speakers sounded better too with the iPod headphone jack plugged into cheap amps.... basically the iPod sounded like thin grainy distorted farts through the LCD2. I at least expected it to sound clean/decent... can someone reassure me that the headphone amp really effects the sound quality to this degree and that it gets better? Just saying cuz the car's Bose amplifier makes the iPod sound very good apparently (I guess!)... I also don't really hear any of the qualities of the LCD2 people are saying; lush midrange, awesome bass (I hear no bass at all!)... most I can hear is a definite improvement in separation of instruments. Just wondering if this is normal. All the talk about a good headphone rivaling $90,000+ speakers is what is confusing me a bit too as the iPod with a cheap receiver sounds very good to me out of basic Bose speakers.


The LCD-2's need plenty of power to produce the sound they are capable of don't let the low impedance fool you. I have more money invested in an amp and dac then the price of the LCD-2's alone.

post #1268 of 9743
^ No need to panic. Give it time - and that nice DAC/amp pair you have coming. Even then, give it some time.

When I got my LCD2 two years ago, it took me a few days to start 'hearing' them, with emphasis on start. The process of discovery occupied a couple of weeks after that. Months in some respects.

I did try them straight out of my iPod classic - once - within the first week or two. I was surprised they sounded as good as they did considering my low expectations but (a) the sound quality seemed to degenerate fast (iirc the iPod drained quickly., i.e. it needed to be fully charged to sound ok) and (b) they didn't sound good enough that I ever repeated the experiment!
post #1269 of 9743

Y'know, technicalities of audio reproduction at times can come about as quite confusing for many. 

 

I remember I once had an "antique" "sports" car that I cherished.  At one time work gave me new Mini Cooper S's as company drive cars.  I hated them at first - especially when I got a convertible version, what with it's production efficient front wheel drive and all, not as "pure" as my old rear wheel drive beast.

 

Nevertheless, I garaged my beloved car for more than a year.  Then one day I decided to return the old beast to regular duty.  I sold it soon after that.  It was old.  The haidresser company car was better in everyway - except for some sideways action, which I'm getting to old for now.

 

My point is.  I never realised how terribly atinquated my old car was and I hated the new one it was worse in everyway...until after a year of usage and I switched back.

 

Now I forget why I share this story at head-fi, but they were fun times back in the day, as I get I older I think today's generation have lost that................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

post #1270 of 9743
Listen to it for a week or so. Give it some time / an honest chance. Then decide. It may not be the phone for you.
post #1271 of 9743
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDee View Post

^ No need to panic. Give it time - and that nice DAC/amp pair you have coming. Even then, give it some time.

When I got my LCD2 two years ago, it took me a few days to start 'hearing' them, with emphasis on start. The process of discovery occupied a couple of weeks after that. Months in some respects.

I did try them straight out of my iPod classic - once - within the first week or two. I was surprised they sounded as good as they did considering my low expectations but (a) the sound quality seemed to degenerate fast (iirc the iPod drained quickly., i.e. it needed to be fully charged to sound ok) and (b) they didn't sound good enough that I ever repeated the experiment!

 

Yes I'd agree it might take a while to adjust, at least it did for me coming from D7000. Initially I though "where is the bass?" but I was not used to the neutral presentation. There is plenty of depth - its just not in your face. The LCD2 presentation is very sensitive to the amp and DAC that you use; I prefer the sound of my old Graham Slee solo vs Lemann cube, which adds a bit more slam and warmth. I still resort to D7000 for dance / hip hop now and then though.

post #1272 of 9743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post

 

 

Now I forget why I share this story at head-fi, but they were fun times back in the day, as I get I older I think today's generation have lost that................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Lost what..? The plot? :D

post #1273 of 9743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild View Post

The HD800 is good, just too bright is all and if that's what masquerades as detailed then the fairies have spoken and the sheeple shall follow.  But if there is one lesson I have learned in life is that Senheisser always wins. 

 

Industry leaders are a protected species, we wouldn't want to endanger them now shall we.  But enough of my gripes.

 

Which is why I am seem quite impressed with this new balanced amp from Schiit.  I would buy one if a Weatherby 8mm magnum is'nt beckoning for my funds.  Is it a good pairing with the LCD2?  Perhaps a good tonal match like the Lehmann BCL and X can V3, a little leaner would work well for the fatter tracks.

 

So who owns one? 

 

wink.gif

Have you tried the anaxilus mod with the HD800? They are very amp/tube picky. With the right combo my lcd 2 rev 2 dont even come close in clarity. And this is coming from someone who loves the audeze house sound very much. 

post #1274 of 9743

If anyone is looking to brighten their LCD2s I'm selling a mint condition Moon Audio silver dragon cable for $120 cheaper than retail. After I installed the Bifrost Uber upgrade I was actually finding the LCD2 too bright for my liking.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666353/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v3-headphone-cable-audeze-lcd-2-3-mint

post #1275 of 9743
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonBeaver View Post


The LCD-2's need plenty of power to produce the sound they are capable of don't let the low impedance fool you. I have more money invested in an amp and dac then the price of the LCD-2's alone.

I definitely hope so. Just tried the LCD2's out of the headphone jack of my JBL receiver with iPod headphone jack connected to RCA connectors through an adapter and it sounded closer to speakers yet I still hear a surprising amount of distortion with the phones that I don't hear with the same receiver connected to $300 Klispch speakers I have. Does the iPod really sound that bad and the headphone is just revealing? Do the cheap speakers overemphasize some aspects that LCD2 doesn't making it sound worse in comparison?

 

All I want to know is that the WA6SE and Mini Max Plus DAC combo is going to blow away any setup I've ever heard in terms of raw power and clarity, especially with the bass and a nice warm, analog sound. Don't really hear the potential right now. Just going to have wait and see (hear) the results...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread