Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions - Page 51

post #751 of 854

Well seal really isn't an issue with my large single flange tips from JVC. I can actually get too good of a seal if I pushed them to deep which gives me a painful vacuum seal and constricts my ear canals. They fit like custom IEMs for me. Just at present I am underwhelmed by what they are offering me in comparison to my other IEMs. I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully they will turn for the better. This wouldn't be the first time I was a victim of burn in :P.
 


Edited by lee730 - 9/23/12 at 6:47am
post #752 of 854

Hey, has anyone had a problem with the RE262 ringing? I'm not sure how to explain it, but sometimes around the upper mids, the sound becomes extremely shrill and it feels like the earpieces themselves are vibrating a little. It tends to happen on piano notes a lot. Did I get a dud, or all of them like this?

post #753 of 854

Well I recently returned my pair. Just wasn't my thing. I did notice the treble could be a bit peppy at times. It seemed to smooth out though with burn in. The mids were quite nice on them I must admit that. Bass was just lacking in quantity for me.
 

post #754 of 854

I found that using foam tips on these tames the highs a bit and improves the bass, while keeping the awesome mids... 

post #755 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by qilto View Post

Hey, has anyone had a problem with the RE262 ringing? I'm not sure how to explain it, but sometimes around the upper mids, the sound becomes extremely shrill and it feels like the earpieces themselves are vibrating a little. It tends to happen on piano notes a lot. Did I get a dud, or all of them like this?


Yes, just two days ago my 13 month old pair started to exhibit that kind of distortion in the right channel. It's gotten worse by the hour yet only noticeable at a certain mid-high frequency. It sounds akin to vinyl playback with a worn down needle.

post #756 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Well I recently returned my pair. Just wasn't my thing. I did notice the treble could be a bit peppy at times. It seemed to smooth out though with burn in. The mids were quite nice on them I must admit that. Bass was just lacking in quantity for me.
 

 

 

I see you also own the MDR-7550. Can you compare those to the RE-262?

post #757 of 854

The Sony's are much more to my liking. The RE-262 has more emphasis on its mids. But it lacks treble detail & extension. Same applies for its bass; the Sony has more quantity and quality. The Sony's also have a bigger sound stage and the separation/imaging are better within that sound stage. Very different IEMs IMO. Considering the price difference it's to be expected.
 


Edited by lee730 - 9/28/12 at 9:51am
post #758 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

The Sony's are much more to my liking. The RE-262 has more emphasis on its mids. But it lacks treble detail & extension. Same applies for its bass; the Sony has more quantity and quality. The Sony's also have a bigger sound stage and the separation/imaging are better within that sound stage. Very different IEMs IMO. Considering the price difference it's to be expected.
 

 

 

Lee, did any reviews you read cause you think otherwise about the RE-262 before getting them?

post #759 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by spahn_ranch View Post


Yes, just two days ago my 13 month old pair started to exhibit that kind of distortion in the right channel. It's gotten worse by the hour yet only noticeable at a certain mid-high frequency. It sounds akin to vinyl playback with a worn down needle.

Hm, I just realized that mine also happens on my right earpiece. Although, I use the adapter that switches the channels, so it's actually the left earpiece. Should I just send my pair in for a new one?

post #760 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post

 

 

Lee, did any reviews you read cause you think otherwise about the RE-262 before getting them?


Well yes I read Jokers review and shotgunshanes. Plus I went on other impressions and was thinking this would pair extremely well with the Studio V. I was wrong. My expectations were way to high for this IEM. Not that its a bad IEM just left me underwhelmed compared to what I have now. Plus we all have our own preferences and obviously mine won't always be in line with other headfiers here. Once you make that connection is makes it much easier to know which reviews to trust and which ones to overlook.


Edited by lee730 - 9/28/12 at 2:51pm
post #761 of 854
I sold mine out of upgrade curiosity. Have not seen fit to give them a second try. That's not saying anything other than being a newb sowing my wild oats. smily_headphones1.gif
post #762 of 854

I love the RE262 and its just got better with more burn-in.  I love the way they portray depth, these have the best depth to a soundstage I've heard and the layering is awesome.  The bass is on the light side even when my E11 is on EQ2 but I doesn't bother me.

post #763 of 854

What other IEMs have you heard? I was comparing them to IE80, MDR-7550 and Tralucent 1Plus2 so it wasn't quite fair.
 

post #764 of 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

What other IEMs have you heard? I was comparing them to IE80, MDR-7550 and Tralucent 1Plus2 so it wasn't quite fair.
 

 

 

Whoa. A $400.00; $300.00 universal and a $1,000.00 custom IEM. Hifiman didn't have a chance. smile_phones.gif

post #765 of 854

Well I kinda was hoping it did :P.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions