Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions - Page 50

post #736 of 840

Well it was like that on the IE8 for me initially. I wasn't wowed for the first 15 to 20 minutes. But after an hour I was like wow these are really good.
 

post #737 of 840

Every time I use the the RE262 I have experienced that it takes me at least 20-30 minutes to tune into them maybe because it's an instant brain-burn-in that's taking place where synapses are only created momentarily and there after erased when I unplug the RE 262 from my ears, so my brain has to do it all over again the next time...

 

Maybe not, but I do also experience that the RE262 doesn't wow me straight on, but improves very much during a listening session, more so than many other IEM's I have heard.

post #738 of 840

Hmm. Pretty much with my IE80s and Tralucents as soon as I put them in its WOW. The MDR-7550s take me a little while to warm up to but once that happens is also a nice wow.

Also are those large double flange tips really considered large? They don't give me the slightest of a seal. More like a 757 flying through the Grand Canyon ;).


Edited by lee730 - 9/22/12 at 10:14pm
post #739 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Hmm. Pretty much with my IE80s and Tralucents as soon as I put them in its WOW. The MDR-7550s take me a little while to warm up to but once that happens is also a nice wow.

Also are those large double flange tips really considered large? They don't give me the slightest of a seal. More like a 757 flying through the Grand Canyon ;).

 

Well, they are the largest double flange tips I have seen, if we have similar pairs. I have actually never flown a 757 through Grand Canyon, so I wouldn't know :-) 

post #740 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterknight View Post

Every time I use the the RE262 I have experienced that it takes me at least 20-30 minutes to tune into them maybe because it's an instant brain-burn-in that's taking place where synapses are only created momentarily and there after erased when I unplug the RE 262 from my ears, so my brain has to do it all over again the next time...

 

Maybe not, but I do also experience that the RE262 doesn't wow me straight on, but improves very much during a listening session, more so than many other IEM's I have heard.

 

 

That's what I've been experiencing when listening to them.  When I first start to listen its not like they sound bad but its just different than what I've been hearing with other IEM's, after a few minutes they start to sound much better and I'm really starting to like the sound signature they produce.

post #741 of 840

I'm also very surprised at how good they've been sounding with edm, things like techno, progressive, tech house and minimal all sound very good on them.  Some trance sounds good while others sound a little to congested.  It matters how much they have going on in the track, if they're a lot of sounds and samples they don't work as well but if its more stripped down with not as many sounds going on they work much much better.

post #742 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterknight View Post

 

Well, they are the largest double flange tips I have seen, if we have similar pairs. I have actually never flown a 757 through Grand Canyon, so I wouldn't know :-) 


Well to be honest if I cut off the top piece I'd probably be able to get a seal from it. The top piece is way too small ;). If it was the same size as the bottom it would work for me.

post #743 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Well to be honest if I cut off the top piece I'd probably be able to get a seal from it. The top piece is way too small ;). If it was the same size as the bottom it would work for me.

 

Yeah, that's the new version of the Head direct bi flanger that you have, where they cut of part of the top piece. The original one's, almost have the same size, top piece and bottom and a better fit. I can send you one of my extra pairs, if you want to try it out?

post #744 of 840

That sounds nice :).
 

Really hoping some burn in magic is gonna do the trick on these things.... Bass seems to be really lacking, even in comparison to my IE80s with the tape mod :P. Was intending on using these solely with the Studio V. Hope I didn't make a mistake :(. Maybe my expectations were to high? Will the sound stage expand any as burn in progresses? I did a side by side comparison with the IE80 and these things pale in comparison. Feels closed in....


Edited by lee730 - 9/23/12 at 3:33am
post #745 of 840
RE-262 is not a bass heavy IEM. Tip rolling and EQ enhances it, as does burn-in. For what it's worth, burn-in on my RE-272, with supposedly less bass than the RE-262, resulted in enhanced and rewarding bass. I an running it right now, first with the Leckerton MKII, then swapped to the Arrow, giving it one click of bass EQ, resulting in more roundness and resonance.
 
Here is a cut and paste from |Joker|'s review:
 
"At the base of the RE262’s sound signature is a smooth and articulate low end. The bass is plentiful for my tastes and has better depth and impact than on any of the other HiFiMan earphones I’ve tried (which is all of them except the RE1). Attack and decay are also more naturally extended than with the RE262’s siblings – the earphone easily has the most fleshed-out lows of the HiFiMan range (again, cannot speak for the RE1). The core driver speed is still there, however, and the earphones never miss a beat. They also aren’t as rumbly or textured at the lowest of lows as one would expect from a high-end dynamic-driver set from any other manufacturer. The Sennheiser IE7 has comparable subbass quantity but the IE8, the Monster Turbine range, and even the Denon C710 place significantly more emphasis and weight on the lowest lows. In terms of presentation the bass is soft and notes come out warm and somewhat ‘rounded’ – those who like aggressive, edgy bass will likely be disappointed by the RE262’s tactfulness."
 
"Aside from the seductively fluid midrange the biggest strength of the RE262 for me is the presentation. The earphones boast both and excellent soundstage and headstage – still a relatively rare occurrence in the IEM realm. Compared to my RE-ZERO, the RE262 is decidedly out-of-the-head –sounding. It really gives a great sense of ambient space without losing track of individual instruments or diluting other location cues. Positioning is helped by good -- perhaps even excessive – layering; the RE262 really leaves no doubts as to what is in a track’s foreground and what is in the background. When amped, the RE262 sounds even bigger and the soundstage seems to lose its outer limits – something even the stadium-sized sonic space of the IE8 can’t quite pull off. In addition, an amped RE262 needs less volume to shine, revealing more detail and texture at lower output levels. Naturally the effortless dynamics of the earphone are an asset here as well. Tonally, the RE262 makes no attempts to hide its coloration from the listener, but then that’s part of its charm. The RE262 really is a very basic and honest earphone – it doesn’t pretend to be neutral or analytical, nor does it pretend to be a conventional high-end dynamic with loads of subbass power and heavy midbass emphasis – and I like that."
post #746 of 840

Yeah I read his review on it but am really having a hard time not taking it with a grain of salt right now. Really hope burn in makes a huge difference because I am not impressed at all right now :(. But I'll try to remain positive and let it run in for at least a week or more.
 

post #747 of 840

Are you in the return window?

post #748 of 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post

Are you in the return window?


I just got them yesterday. I think Head-direct offers a 14 day return policy. So did the sound stage get noticeably bigger with usage? I'm looking for a bigger sound stage, hopefully more bass quantity. Treble is ok, seems a little unrefined right now. Mids are quite nice.

post #749 of 840

Seal is very important and maybe a bit of burn-in with better tips is required for you.  It's been so long I can't remember if burn-in was required with my pair.  I have an older pair so my experience may be different than yours if there have been tweaks in design or manufacturing.  Is it possible they didn't give you the largest bi-flange tips and just a couple of mediums?  I have upgraded many things in my rig over the past two years but I have never felt the impulse to replace these 262s so hopefully you will also like them.  I may be missing out on offerings from different manufacturers but until these fall apart it's tough for me to drop money on anything else.  

 

Keep us informed on what tips work for you.  The large bi-flange are pretty good for me but if you find something slightly larger that creates an even better seal I'll be willing to try those tips.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Yeah I read his review on it but am really having a hard time not taking it with a grain of salt right now. Really hope burn in makes a huge difference because I am not impressed at all right now :(. But I'll try to remain positive and let it run in for at least a week or more.
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Also are those large double flange tips really considered large? They don't give me the slightest of a seal. More like a 757 flying through the Grand Canyon ;).

post #750 of 840

I am not sufficiently experienced to offer an opinion on that and didn't do comparisons when I had the RE-262.

 

Shotgun Shane reviewed them and he'd probably respond to a PM. Here's the link to what he thought about them:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585495/review-hifiman-re262-sophisticated-and-beautiful

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions