Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 402

post #6016 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by michnix View Post
 

thanks for the tip- but I'm living in Norway...  ;)

 

Beautiful country have enjoyed a couple holidays  to Bergen the fjords etc  Ausland was very nice, the kids loved the massive fish tank at the Atlantic sea park there.

post #6017 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

Beautiful country have enjoyed a couple holidays  to Bergen the fjords etc  Ausland was very nice, the kids loved the massive fish tank at the Atlantic sea park there.

Laerdal, Norway...such a beautiful place!!!

post #6018 of 7968

Surprisingly enough i prefer Elton johns "captain fantastic" on T1 rather than HD800, that was a real shock considering the HD800 is usually better for acoustic but this album is a T1 album for sure. 

post #6019 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by michnix View Post
 

I took the plunge and a pair of T1s are on the way to me as I write this  :)

 

now for the difficult part: which amp?

 

It reminds me of audio tubes (and that is one of the reasons why I stopped having tubes in my system) too much choice, too much variables and no one can give you a "universal" answer...

 

I narrowed it down to Soloist, Lehmann BCL Pro and V200, where the BCL Pro is about 250€ less than the other two. Close your eyes, take a pick and live with it. As long as I don't start comparing to other amps it should be OK, I think. :P    It is "only" my commuting kit anyway. Maybe I will be forced to get rid of some of my main rig next year - then I might consider getting a pair of LCD-X... but lugging around 2 sets of HP + DAC + amp as long as I have to commute is a little much...

 

Pretty serious "commuting kit".

post #6020 of 7968

Well, I will spend more days away than I will be at home- ;)  and when I am at home kids 'n' wife will want every minute of me :) so music at home won't get much chance...

post #6021 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by michnix View Post
 

Well, I will spend more days away than I will be at home- ;)  and when I am at home kids 'n' wife will want every minute of me :) so music at home won't get much chance...

 

Understood.

 

My wife makes fun of me for bringing mine to work in Japan where I'll be living for several months....

post #6022 of 7968

Hello to all the regulars on this thread : let me begin by thanking all of you for helping me decide to buy a pair of T1s Telsa via my reading your thread, posts & feedback.  Razordog had them for sale on ebay for $1,095 "Brand New - Open Box"; I made an offer of $900 & it was accepted.  All in all I figure I did pretty good considering some retailers are asking as much as between $1,250.00 to as high as $1,600.00.  Since I'm Canadian & our currency is less than the U.S. dollar my final bill came to $1,047.54 CDN (which includes delivery) so I'm fine with that.  I've been researching for the past couple of months for an headphone with clarity, detail, balance & transparency but not like the HD800 which I bought two years ago & did not enjoy at all.  Hopefully this is the right choice.  Looking forward to taking part in this thread in the near future. I don't have a tube amp which is what appears to be the unanimous choice for T1 owners but I do have the SS TEAC HA-501 with the damping factor selector which can drive the T1 (here's a copy & paste of the damping factor's specs from the TEAC website) :

 

Position Headphone Impedance Damping Factor
HIGH at 32 ohms DF=76
* at 64 ohms DF=98
MID at 120 ohms DF=97
* at 300 ohms DF=115
LOW at 600 ohms DF=118

 

Therefore I'm somewhat confident that the T1 will probably be well driven and somewhat close to their peak performance.  The other option I can go to is my vintage Kenwood KA8006, 70WPC (1974) which can drive them easily although I'm not sure about the impedance correlation between the Kenwood & the T1.  I'm fairly new to Head-fi although I've been visiting the site for the last 3 years and since I'm an older guy (I'm retired) it's taken me a while to pick-up on the technical terms & glossary & although I'll never be an "Headphoneus Supremus" I'm getting the gist of things.   My other headphones are : the two Senns HD6xx & the AKG K702.  One thing which I have read on many threads by many Head-fiers that I know to be true without a doubt : being an audiophile is murder on my wallet/bank account.  I know my wife won't be impressed by my latest purchase when she learns about it but …. I couldn't help myself; I'm sure some of you understand this right ?

 

:o


Edited by Old Groucho - 12/3/13 at 7:19pm
post #6023 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Groucho View Post
 

Hello to all the regulars on this thread : let me begin by thanking all of you for helping me decide to buy a pair of T1s Telsa via my reading your thread, posts & feedback.  Razordog had them for sale on ebay for $1,095 "Brand New - Open Box"; I made an offer of $900 & it was accepted.  All in all I figure I did pretty good considering some retailers are asking as much as between $1,250.00 to as high as $1,600.00.  Since I'm Canadian & our currency is less than the U.S. dollar my final bill came to $1,047.54 CDN (which includes delivery) so I'm fine with that.  I've been researching for the past couple of months for an headphone with clarity, detail, balance & transparency but not like the HD800 which I bought two years ago & did not enjoy at all.  Hopefully this is the right choice.  Looking forward to taking part in this thread in the near future. I don't have a tube amp which is what appears to be the unanimous choice for T1 owners but I do have the SS TEAC HA-501 with the damping factor selector which can drive the T1 (here's a copy & paste of the damping factor's specs from the TEAC website) :

 

Position Headphone Impedance Damping Factor
HIGH at 32 ohms DF=76
* at 64 ohms DF=98
MID at 120 ohms DF=97
* at 300 ohms DF=115
LOW at 600 ohms DF=118

 

Therefore I'm somewhat confident that the T1 will probably be well driven and somewhat close to their peak performance.  The other option I can go to is my vintage Kenwood KA8006, 70WPC (1974) which can drive them easily although I'm not sure about the impedance correlation between the Kenwood & the T1.  I'm fairly new to Head-fi although I've been visiting the site for the last 3 years and since I'm an older guy (I'm retired) it's taken me a while to pick-up on the technical terms & glossary & although I'll never be an "Headphoneus Supremus" I'm getting the gist of things.   My other headphones are : the two Senns HD6xx & the AKG K702.  One thing which I have read on many threads by many Head-fiers that I know to be true without a doubt : being an audiophile is murder on my wallet/bank account.  I know my wife won't be impressed by my latest purchase when she learns about it but …. I couldn't help myself; I'm sure some of you understand this right ?

 

:o

one old guy to another....you will enjoy these a lot.......

post #6024 of 7968

Thanks Philo50, I'm pretty sure I will also.  As I indicated in my lengthy post I've done my homework this time and the T1 appears to meet what I've been looking for sound wise.

 

:beerchug:

post #6025 of 7968
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Groucho View Post
 

 One thing which I have read on many threads by many Head-fiers that I know to be true without a doubt : being an audiophile is murder on my wallet/bank account.  I know my wife won't be impressed by my latest purchase when she learns about it but …. I couldn't help myself; I'm sure some of you understand this right ?

 

:o

 

Oh, many of us can relate indeed! "How to make this purchase and pay the bills?"..."How to justify this to the wife?"...Lol.

 

I find the T1's come close to the detail, transparency, and soundstage of the HD800, while being a little warmer, easier to listen to. On good recordings, they are great. But I still keep handy some more forgiving headphones for less than ideal recordings. Enjoy 'em!

post #6026 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcamera View Post
 

 

Oh, many of us can relate indeed! "How to make this purchase and pay the bills?"..."How to justify this to the wife?"...Lol.

 

I find the T1's come close to the detail, transparency, and soundstage of the HD800, while being a little warmer, easier to listen to. On good recordings, they are great. But I still keep handy some more forgiving headphones for less than ideal recordings. Enjoy 'em!

I find while listen to jazz ( high pitched trumpet solos) ( Wynton Marsalis - live at the village vangaurd - buddy boulden)the T1 is a little too bright. I was expecting the HD800 to have the same problem but it does not. It depends on the recording, both headphones have harshness in the treble but where your not expecting it. You can never really tell where its gonna happen. I have the T1 for the last 5 months and while i have treble issues very very rarely (5% of the time) i expected the hd800 to have those issues in the same tracks but that's just not the case. 

 

In the Simon and Garfunkel track Scarborough fair - the HD800 shows a slight harshness in the vocal (sssshh) but the T1 handles this beautifully.

 

Also the recording doesn't have to be a bad recording to show treble hiss. Some new really well recorded albums like Nora Jones "come away with me" have sharpness in the vocal while older not so good recordings like Aretha Franklin's "lady soul" sound great". 


Edited by magiccabbage - 12/4/13 at 7:35am
post #6027 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcamera View Post
 

 

Oh, many of us can relate indeed! "How to make this purchase and pay the bills?"..."How to justify this to the wife?"...Lol.

 

I find the T1's come close to the detail, transparency, and soundstage of the HD800, while being a little warmer, easier to listen to. On good recordings, they are great. But I still keep handy some more forgiving headphones for less than ideal recordings. Enjoy 'em!

From what you've described about the T1s it's pretty much what I expect also from reviews and posts that I've come across.  It seems like they'll be just about what I've been looking for.  I also have headphones for less than ideal recordings mainly the two HD6xxs.   Thanks.

 

:L3000:

post #6028 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Groucho View Post
 

Hello to all the regulars on this thread : let me begin by thanking all of you for helping me decide to buy a pair of T1s Telsa via my reading your thread, posts & feedback.  Razordog had them for sale on ebay for $1,095 "Brand New - Open Box"; I made an offer of $900 & it was accepted.  All in all I figure I did pretty good considering some retailers are asking as much as between $1,250.00 to as high as $1,600.00.  Since I'm Canadian & our currency is less than the U.S. dollar my final bill came to $1,047.54 CDN (which includes delivery) so I'm fine with that. 

 

Would you mind me asking what kind of shipping option you chose for your ebay delivery and how did you get taxed? I'm also Canadian.
post #6029 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcamera View Post

Oh, many of us can relate indeed! "How to make this purchase and pay the bills?"..."How to justify this to the wife?"...Lol.

I find the T1's come close to the detail, transparency, and soundstage of the HD800, while being a little warmer, easier to listen to. On good recordings, they are great. But I still keep handy some more forgiving headphones for less than ideal recordings. Enjoy 'em!

To my ears the T1 exceeds the HD800 in terms of detail, clarity, transparency and resolution. The HD800 definitely has a wider soundstage and sounds smoother. I grab the T1 for strings & vocal recordings, however when I listen to trumpets & sax I want the extra 'fat' and smoothness of the HD800.
post #6030 of 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post


To my ears the T1 exceeds the HD800 in terms of detail, clarity, transparency and resolution. The HD800 definitely has a wider soundstage and sounds smoother. I grab the T1 for strings & vocal recordings, however when I listen to trumpets & sax I want the extra 'fat' and smoothness of the HD800.

 

+1

 

i wouldn't say exceeds though, on better setups, i find the T1 does reach a sort of limit. but i do find some details easier to hear on the T1. its a very detailed and clear sounding headphone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread