or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 354

post #5296 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3llv3xit View Post



Is your 650 the much-ballyhooed white-screened 650?

Yea its the version with silver silky membrane. I know that when I first heard the HD650's, the one I have, I was shocked at how much treble they had, and how sparkly and clear the treble was on them, which was completely different from my expectations after reading the reviews.  I still think the treble on HD650's is more clear and sparkly than on DT880's or K701's. Those two have MORE treble, but it doesn't seem as crystal clear and gentle at the same time.


Edited by derbigpr - 8/30/13 at 8:35am
post #5297 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post

Yea its the version with silver silky membrane. I know that when I first heard the HD650's, the one I have, I was shocked at how much treble they had, and how sparkly and clear the treble was on them, which was completely different from my expectations after reading the reviews.  I still think the treble on HD650's is more clear and sparkly than on DT880's or K701's. Those two have MORE treble, but it doesn't seem as crystal clear and gentle at the same time.

+1 I still love my 650's even after getting the T1's. 

post #5298 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post

+1 I still love my 650's even after getting the T1's. 

I kinda wish i still had 650s but hard for them to really have a place in my collection. The lcd-2 was already quite similar, the lcd-3 even more so, the lcd-3 being even more similar in sound signature, but of course, alot better,

I did enjoy how the hd 650s sounded out of the wa6-se, always very very smooth and zero grain
post #5299 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post


I kinda wish i still had 650s but hard for them to really have a place in my collection. The lcd-2 was already quite similar, the lcd-3 even more so, the lcd-3 being even more similar in sound signature, but of course, alot better,

I did enjoy how the hd 650s sounded out of the wa6-se, always very very smooth and zero grain

 

Exactly the same feeling about the LCD2 and HD650, but I keep them, as references and for my TV, I don't like the move my LCD2 all around my place, while I find the LCD2 to excel with movies and TV-shows.

And to be honest the pairing between the HD650 and the Soloist is so immense that it should be a shame to sell them :D.

post #5300 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbone View Post

 

Exactly the same feeling about the LCD2 and HD650, but I keep them, as references and for my TV, I don't like the move my LCD2 all around my place, while I find the LCD2 to excel with movies and TV-shows.

And to be honest the pairing between the HD650 and the Soloist is so immense that it should be a shame to sell them :D.

 

i thought the same thing when i heard it with the LCD-2, great pairing.

 

i'm very happy with my LCD-3 and WA6-SE right now.

post #5301 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

i thought the same thing when i heard it with the LCD-2, great pairing.

 

i'm very happy with my LCD-3 and WA6-SE right now.



Hi Dubstep Girl,

 

Thanks for the all the info and insights you've shared.  I pulled the trigger on the WA6-SE.  Just want to know if it pairs well with Hifiman HE6?

 

post #5302 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post

Yea its the version with silver silky membrane. I know that when I first heard the HD650's, the one I have, I was shocked at how much treble they had, and how sparkly and clear the treble was on them, which was completely different from my expectations after reading the reviews.  I still think the treble on HD650's is more clear and sparkly than on DT880's or K701's. Those two have MORE treble, but it doesn't seem as crystal clear and gentle at the same time.


No wonder.

I had the black or gray-screened version.  Every time I move from my T1 to HD650 I had the nagging itch to reach into the drivers to pull the singer closer.

post #5303 of 10479

Ok, I just got my W4S DAC2, so right now my setup is:

 

Optical Output -> W4S DAC2 -> SPL auditor -> T1

 

And the result is pretty good. There is a lot of gain, I feel that I could blow my T1 so easily. The W4S is not very neutral, so my sound is less analytic then before, which I think is good. Bit more bass, the high are a bit smoother too.

 

I did try the usb input, but it was displaying 44k (not 192k) so I'm not sure how to get the full 192k with the usb. But the sound was very similar to the optical. I will try to figure that out tomorrow.

 

So far it's a good setup. 

post #5304 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorneau View Post

Ok, I just got my W4S DAC2, so right now my setup is:

 

Optical Output -> W4S DAC2 -> SPL auditor -> T1

 

And the result is pretty good. There is a lot of gain, I feel that I could blow my T1 so easily. The W4S is not very neutral, so my sound is less analytic then before, which I think is good. Bit more bass, the high are a bit smoother too.

 

I did try the usb input, but it was displaying 44k (not 192k) so I'm not sure how to get the full 192k with the usb. But the sound was very similar to the optical. I will try to figure that out tomorrow.

 

So far it's a good setup. 

Are you saying that your toslink optical output is giving you 192k with 44.1 source material? I think your dac is registering wrong unless the dac is set to upsample optical input. Most optical outputs cannot output 192k so I think it is your dac upsampling. I have not found any advantage to upsampling redbook material and believe me I have tried with all the available software. I came to the conclusion it is best to leave it alone. You should get less jitter and better sound through usb.

post #5305 of 10479

No, I'm saying it always display 44k1 no matter what the source is (usb or toslink)

 

Edit: Here what is display no matter what the source: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/wp-content/uploads/images/stories/w4sdac2/one/w4s-dac21.jpg


Edited by hmorneau - 8/30/13 at 9:15pm
post #5306 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorneau View Post

No, I'm saying it always display 44k1 no matter what the source is (usb or toslink)

 

Edit: Here what is display no matter what the source: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/wp-content/uploads/images/stories/w4sdac2/one/w4s-dac21.jpg

The speed is dependent on the sample rate of the file that you are sending it. If you are using files ripped from CDs, they are always going to be 44.1kHz unless you've upsampled the files.

 

What is your source? iMac? PC? do you have software on your computer that will automatically set the output sample rate to that of the audio file you are playing?


Edited by wisemanja - 8/30/13 at 11:04pm
post #5307 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisemanja View Post

The speed is dependent on the sample rate of the file that you are sending it. If you are using files ripped from CDs, they are always going to be 44.1kHz unless you've upsampled the files.

 

What is your source? iMac? PC? do you have software on your computer that will automatically set the output sample rate to that of the audio file you are playing?

+1

What he said. The sample rate of the software is the issue. Has nothing to do with your connection or your dac. The vast majority of material out there is redbook 16/44.1. If you buy or download software that is 24/96 your dac will display that. If you can find something that is 192k good luck. Not much out there at that sampling rate and really no need for it. That is more a marketing ploy than anything else.

 

If you are doing your own ripping then you can rip at a higher rate than the source but it really accomplishes nothing. You cannot manufacture detail that isn't in the recording.


Edited by Chodi - 8/30/13 at 11:10pm
post #5308 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

+1

What he said. The sample rate of the software is the issue. Has nothing to do with your connection or your dac. The vast majority of material out there is redbook 16/44.1. If you buy or download software that is 24/96 your dac will display that. If you can find something that is 192k good luck. Not much out there at that sampling rate and really no need for it. That is more a marketing ploy than anything else.

 

If you are doing your own ripping then you can rip at a higher rate than the source but it really accomplishes nothing. You cannot manufacture detail that isn't in the recording.

Very well stated.  Thanks.

post #5309 of 10479

Third T1 arrived at home redface.gif

post #5310 of 10479

I will always remember my T1, I owned it for about a month, then had to return it for financial reasons (I'm a student, and an audiophile - bad combination) still, best headphones I've ever heard by far, and I've owned a few good ones!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread