Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 269

post #4021 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

That's when I think the clarity of tubes come into question.  At least for me.  SS amps just seem to be clearer, tighter cleaner bass.  The distortion affects many things to my ears in a negative way.  I've heard many of tubes.  Still, I might not have heard the "right" ones..

 

Definitely. I think bass and detail retrieval are the biggest things lost in tubes. I've heard lots of tubes, and they are all affected the same way with these. 

 

Speaking of incredibly clear and detailed amps, I recently came into ownership of your old CKKIII from SWA.  biggrin.gif It makes a balanced version seem very very tempting. 

post #4022 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

Definitely. I think bass and detail retrieval are the biggest things lost in tubes. I've heard lots of tubes, and they are all affected the same way with these. 

 

Speaking of incredibly clear and detailed amps, I recently came into ownership of your old CKKIII from SWA.  biggrin.gif It makes a balanced version seem very very tempting. 

 

That amp is the bomb..  SWA is a true beast when it comes to DIY..

 

Ah,,  Yeah - you shouldn't grabbed up the balanced on I had.  Gone now..tongue.gif

 

Off to purchase the Off Ramp 5.  Or I just might wait until later this year for the Off Ramp 6.  But I know me.  I have ants in my pants..  biggrin.gif

 

Really trying to tighten up the chain... Next thing is to get rid of the laptop for a dedicated C.A.P.S v3..  One thing at a time..

post #4023 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

That amp is the bomb..  SWA is a true beast when it comes to DIY..

 

Ah,,  Yeah - you shouldn't grabbed up the balanced on I had.  Gone now..tongue.gif

 

Off to purchase the Off Ramp 5.  Or I just might wait until later this year for the Off Ramp 6.  But I know me.  I have ants in my pants..  biggrin.gif

 

Really trying to tighten up the chain... Next thing is to get rid of the laptop for a dedicated C.A.P.S v3..  One thing at a time..


Go for the CAPS v3, that way youre still waiting for the off ramp 6. Plus, upgrades further up the chain usually make the biggest difference.

post #4024 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post


Go for the CAPS v3, that way youre still waiting for the off ramp 6. Plus, upgrades further up the chain usually make the biggest difference.

 

 

Right about that.  Good looking out.  Just might do that..

post #4025 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

That amp is the bomb..  SWA is a true beast when it comes to DIY..

 

Ah,,  Yeah - you shouldn't grabbed up the balanced on I had.  Gone now..tongue.gif

 

Off to purchase the Off Ramp 5.  Or I just might wait until later this year for the Off Ramp 6.  But I know me.  I have ants in my pants..  biggrin.gif

 

Really trying to tighten up the chain... Next thing is to get rid of the laptop for a dedicated C.A.P.S v3..  One thing at a time..

 

I was very tempted to grab that from you biggrin.gif

 

But, I'm taking a break from balanced gear. You know much better than I do, that balanced headphone rigs take their toll in cost, especially if you have a changing headphone inventory.

post #4026 of 7979

Thanks all for the great response and feedback. I really appreciate the opinions;  Dubstep Girl, Chodi, Preproman and elwappo99. Cheers!

 

Elwappo99 – I’m really interested in your opinion of the Burson Soloist with your T1. How does it affect the sound signature of the T1?

post #4027 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

I'm going to sound like an old-timer cynic, but here we go.

 

I'll stand in the disagreement position, and be probably one of the few. I've owned a handful of tube amplifiers at this point (six or seven). I've heard a lot of different tube units as well. When it comes down to it, most of the effects of "tube rolling" are psychological. The sound does change, but you aren't going to drastically change the sound of your amplifier or headphones. Your T1s won't suddenly get a powerful thumping ultrasone lower end. Any changes will be incredible subtle

 

 

As for my experience, changes may be subtle, but those "subtle" changes are very important to me. I wouldn't be able listen to T1 with some of my tubes.

 

Not sure if I would call it actually subtle when it makes me like or dislike particular headphones. I have experience only with HD650 and T1 it may not affect other headphones so much, but it does affect these pretty much.

post #4028 of 7979
I would agree on the whole that tube changes are subtle but then I also think the greatest thing that differentiates mediocrity from greatness are the subtleties in life!

Having said that I did have a rare moment in tube rolling yesterday where the differences were far from subtle and for me quite shockingly so!

The D-Getter Telefunkens I had ordered arrived yesterday, I took out the D-Getter (only mention D getter so as to show these are old old NOS/NIB tubes) ultra rare Marconi's and replaced them with the Tele's, allowed a few hours playing then started to listen.

i have rolled probably thirty sets of tubes in this amp and all the differences have been subtle but not this time! The Tele's were truly awful in my amp. Dry sounding, lacking emotion, bass and richness. On first listen I thought they were super detailed but when I put my Marconi's in I realized they had the same level of detail but suddenly bass appeared, texture, feeling, i could go on! That is the most night and day experience thus far!
post #4029 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post

Thanks all for the great response and feedback. I really appreciate the opinions;  Dubstep Girl, Chodi, Preproman and elwappo99. Cheers!

 

Elwappo99 – I’m really interested in your opinion of the Burson Soloist with your T1. How does it affect the sound signature of the T1?

 

The Soloist's sound signature was absolutely great with the Soloist. Just spot on in terms of synergy. I felt it complimented my T1s, even though I expected them to sound even brighter. 

 

I have sold it since. I really need to go update all that info.

post #4030 of 7979

Hi

 Looking to get a better Amp for my T1's. Right now I have the Bellari HA540 and the JDS Labs 02... I don't think these are helping the sound of the T1's.

I know everyone here like's the Soloist amp.. Might be to pricey for me. Any other reccomendations. Maybe the Burson SL

 

How is the Beyer A1 Amp with these?

post #4031 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematthews View Post

Hi

 Looking to get a better Amp for my T1's. Right now I have the Bellari HA540 and the JDS Labs 02... I don't think these are helping the sound of the T1's.

I know everyone here like's the Soloist amp.. Might be to pricey for me. Any other reccomendations. Maybe the Burson SL

 

How is the Beyer A1 Amp with these?

I had the A1 some time ago. It did a good job with the T1's but was not so good with other headphones....something to do with the output impedance if memory serves.....

post #4032 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by philo50 View Post

I had the A1 some time ago. It did a good job with the T1's but was not so good with other headphones....something to do with the output impedance if memory serves.....
The A1 amp is a very good pairing with the T1. Its has a very nice crossfeed circuit that is stunning with classical SACDs. He's right that the A1 doesnt pair well with low impedance headphones. This is basically a senn and beyer only amp. One really nice thing about this amp too is that it can pass through a signal with the power off, so feel free to put it between your preamp and amp.

Edit: the soundstage is normal width, but its depth is awesome, not a 3-blob soundstage. It sits you precisely on the top balcony front row.
Edited by brunk - 4/23/13 at 2:22pm
post #4033 of 7979

Looks like it's a good choice and I can pick one up around 680.00 Now would this be a better option than the Burson Soloist SL at the same price point?

post #4034 of 7979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematthews View Post

Looks like it's a good choice and I can pick one up around 680.00 Now would this be a better option than the Burson Soloist SL at the same price point?


i haven't heard the soloist, but I have heard the HA-160D. If the soloist offers that same "laid back" sound, I would tend to avoid in all honesty. My guess is that you'll be happy either way, but apples to apples, the Beyer unit has more features and definitely has good synergy with the T1.

post #4035 of 7979
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread