or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 18

post #256 of 10478

I have a question for the T1 users, and possibly HD800 users as well. I plan to sell all my headphones except the DT880/600, being in need of something to be complementary to it. I try to evaluate all your points, reviews etc while trying to make a decision between HD800 and T1, but I perhaps need some direct approvement/disapprovements to my ideas.

 

Now, what I, from all the reviews, so far think is that T1 is a better version of DT880/600. Though many of you think that it is somehow different than any other previous beyer model, the graph from the headphone.com, to which I give importance, demonstrates that I should expect a very similar character to the DT880/600 - it is probably much more refined, more organic from top to bottom and more detailed. I do not doubt it is a better version of DT880 actually, but I doubt how it can complement DT880s. I listen to classical, folk (celtic especially), rock, jazz and heavy metal (mostly sympho/power), and DT880/600 covers all those greatly in its own class. I've auditioned some HD800s, on the other hand, and it can also fit into my preferences with a much brighter sound compared to the previous Sennheisers, which I do not like, and a much better soundstage that I guess the beyer house cannot provide including the T1s and I might enjoy that. I can call myself a half beyer fanboy btw - have owned a DT880/250 '05, DT880 2003 and DT880/600 - but I have to make an accurate decision here. 

 

If I buy T1s, It seems like I'll throw away my DT880/600 after sometime; but if I buy HD800s, I can use it for acoustic - folk - classical etc while still enjoying DT880s for heavy metal - or just call it relatively faster music - I guess. So the question is, you can only afford one of those monsters (T1 or HD800), and you already have a DT880/600 that you love. Which one would you prefer for a all-rounder setup? 

post #257 of 10478

Xennon,

I think we already know what you're going to do, don't we?

You're going to make the beyerdynamic family proud.  And upgrade to the T1.

wink.gif

While the T1 is an improved DT880/600, you will be quite amazed at the level of improvement.

I kept my DT880 for, like, a week after I got my T1.

it wasn't that it was redundant, but obsolete.

 

In a way, the DT880 was defined by its flaws as much as its strengths.

With the T1, it may have the beyer house sound, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you what the flaws are.

 

just for example:  i always hated the DT880 treble.  it was bright, thin, and could impart extra sibilance from time to time.

with the T1, it's still a slightly bright headphone, but the treble is more clear and resolving, and never sounds thin or metallic. 

and no sibilance to speak of.

phew!!!

 

You've already convinced me.  Now go convince yourself.  biggrin.gif

post #258 of 10478

Have you considered the LCD2. I sold my T1 this week because it was hardly getting the time any more since I put speakers in my system. Since you are happy with your 880 the planar will do the things you want and I seen your profile indicated you were going with a Woo 6 which is a good amp for the LCD2 also. The LCD2 is a great headphone and another good option. Since your amps will not drive the HE^ that is not an option. Fang also has a more efficient HE6P to be released in march on the table now. I will be listening to the HE6 is DHL ever decides they should deliver today and that probably may replace the T1 but not sure yet. Another can I was impressed with at my mini meet was the sennheiser HD600 which with a re-cable may also be world class.The T1 is a great balanced neutral headphone and the biggest difference I noticed from the 770/600 I had was more refined and transparency. It is a can that I owned for 7 months and love but in the end I preferred the planar for the vocal presentation and the bass. Detail also is great on the T1.but your 880 will become redundant. Give some thought to the Planars.

post #259 of 10478

i have no experience with the hd800 but i find it hard to believe that i would switch to the 880 for certain music when i have a headphone like the hd800 right next to it. i got the t1 because it was known to be a better all arounder, but i doubt the hd800 is shabby in any genre.

post #260 of 10478

I had T1 and I often went back to DT880/600 and still love my DT880/600 with my supporting gears.  Actually my T1 has left me for about a month and I have not yet missed it too much.

 

When DT880/600 is properly supported with your other gears, it has a richer, more diffused but relaxed sound comparing to T1.  T1 does have more resolution and improved focusing.  It is technically improved over DT880/600 with no double.

 

But my DT880/600 gives me a kind of "glow" and warmth emitting from the instrument that fills the sonic scene that attract me coming back to it when I just want to enjoy music instead of analyzing it.  Not to be mistaken, I love crystal clear clarity and razor sharp pin-point imaging.  DT880/600 is capable of satisfying that aspect without putting too much attention strain on the listener.

 

And I have never found my DT880/600 thin and bright with my gears.  Phoenix in balanced mode just gives an edge on the pin-point imaging.  CSP2+ wins me over with high clarity and rich and magical room reverberance at the same time.  I have no idea how it can do that.

 

Sorry to praise DT880/600 so much in a T1 thread, but my 2 cents was that DT880/600 is not obsolete but a nice alternative for easy listening.  And it is much more comfortable than T1. wink_face.gif

post #261 of 10478

I have all you have mentioned and all I can say is that I like them without regarding the different kinds of music. I hear nearly everything in a endless flac loop :) with these headphones and everyone has its own flavor. Regarding your question, I think that you cannot go wrong with the T1 even when you are hearing "acoustic - folk - classical" they are brilliant IMO..

post #262 of 10478

Thanks for all your answers related to my question. I will need some time to decide on what shall I do, and perhaps I can have another chance to audition some HD800s for one more time, whereas T1 will surely preserve its mystery as there is not even a pair of it in my country. 

 

 

 

Quote: TheWuss

 

T1, it's still a slightly bright headphone, but the treble is more clear and resolving, and never sounds thin or metallic.

and no sibilance to speak of.

What I like is a somewhat bright sound anyway, it is favorable or at least understandable up to an extent according to my taste. I would have easily bought it if there was a high-end headphone version of ER4S. So this is not the problem that confuses me about the T1s. 

 

 

Quote: Frank I
It is a can that I owned for 7 months and love but in the end I preferred the planar for the vocal presentation and the bass.

Yes I've also considered LCD2 but I do not think it will work for me as people always associate it with the HD650s, which I do not love. Your emphasis on vocal and bass confirms it as well; my music does not, however, require a special work in vocal or bass more than imaging and soundstage. It is of course difficult to make a guess while not having the opportunity to test it, but some of the critics of LCD2 mention its soundstage as a drawback. It is therefore like a wrong path for me, as far as I can imagine it.

 

Quote: dukja
Sorry to praise DT880/600 so much in a T1 thread, but my 2 cents was that DT880/600 is not obsolete but a nice alternative for easy listening. And it is much more comfortable than T1.

I've read all of your reviews comparing DT880/600 and T1, and they basically make everything more confusing for me :) 

 

 

Quote: monoethylene
Regarding your question, I think that you cannot go wrong with the T1 even when you are hearing "acoustic - folk - classical" they are brilliant IMO..

I am sure they both do every kind of genre quite well, but do not you have a favorite one on at least some of the genres? 

 

 

Thanks again for the advices. I do not want to disturb the T1 appreciators here either with such a topic of advice, but I just wanted to know some of other beyer-sound lovers' ideas on my dilemma. 

post #263 of 10478

How did I manage to confuse you?  May I be further assistance?  biggrin.gif  (I hoped there is no contradiction in my own impression)
 

Quote:
Sorry to praise DT880/600 so much in a T1 thread, but my 2 cents was that DT880/600 is not obsolete but a nice alternative for easy listening. And it is much more comfortable than T1.
Quote: dukja

I've read all of your reviews comparing DT880/600 and T1, and they basically make everything more confusing for me :) 

post #264 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukja View Post

How did I manage to confuse you?  May I be further assistance?  biggrin.gif  (I hoped there is no contradiction in my own impression)
 

Quote:
Sorry to praise DT880/600 so much in a T1 thread, but my 2 cents was that DT880/600 is not obsolete but a nice alternative for easy listening. And it is much more comfortable than T1.
Quote: dukja

I've read all of your reviews comparing DT880/600 and T1, and they basically make everything more confusing for me :) 

Well its not about your explanations but my strange inferences actually biggrin.gif. My impressions with the HD800 tells me that it is brighter than the previous HD600/650s, but warmer than DT880/600s. And you note that T1 is more refined but also more 'fatiguing' (I guess this is the right one-word summary) than the DT880/600, which implies that I shall imagine much brighter highs (or a more fatiguing overall sound for whatever reason) in T1 compared to the HD800s. In this sense, it seems like a better idea to go with HD800s instead of trying to complement DT880s with even more fatiguing version of the same sound signature. 

 

post #265 of 10478
Quote:

Quote: monoethylene
Regarding your question, I think that you cannot go wrong with the T1 even when you are hearing "acoustic - folk - classical" they are brilliant IMO..

I am sure they both do every kind of genre quite well, but do not you have a favorite one on at least some of the genres? 

 

 

Thanks again for the advices. I do not want to disturb the T1 appreciators here either with such a topic of advice, but I just wanted to know some of other beyer-sound lovers' ideas on my dilemma. 


uhhh..difficult question..right now I am using the T1 with some stuff of Rock and it is fine :) .. but when you ask explicitly for prefered genres with the HD800 I would say e.g. acoustic-unplugged or male/female singers and classic as well. But I have to confess that this is very very difficult to distinguish. If you go to a concert which takes place in a club then you are wearing the T1 and when you go to the same concert which takes place in a stadium then you are wearing the HD800..you see the music is at the same high level in the club and in the stadium, only the atmosphere changed..:)

post #266 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWuss View Post

Xennon,

I think we already know what you're going to do, don't we?

You're going to make the beyerdynamic family proud.  And upgrade to the T1.

wink.gif

While the T1 is an improved DT880/600, you will be quite amazed at the level of improvement.

I kept my DT880 for, like, a week after I got my T1.

it wasn't that it was redundant, but obsolete.

 

In a way, the DT880 was defined by its flaws as much as its strengths.

With the T1, it may have the beyer house sound, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you what the flaws are.

 

just for example:  i always hated the DT880 treble.  it was bright, thin, and could impart extra sibilance from time to time.

with the T1, it's still a slightly bright headphone, but the treble is more clear and resolving, and never sounds thin or metallic. 

and no sibilance to speak of.

phew!!!

 

You've already convinced me.  Now go convince yourself.  biggrin.gif


Couldn't have said it better myself. Very well stated! smile.gif

post #267 of 10478

Count me in the club, just got mine yesterday. Great set of cans!  Still burning them in, sound has changed since yesterday, all for the better.

 

So far they sound amazing.

post #268 of 10478

Good to hear new member in club.  There wasn't much activities on this thread.  I guessed that most people are rushing to get a ortho.  But my recent contact to Beyer USA reveals that they still have hard time to keep T1 on the shelf.  I guess not all buyers are here...

post #269 of 10478

Every time I put the T1 on my head, I still get a very big smile on my face biggrin.gif

post #270 of 10478

They have such a great sound, and they seem to sound better every time I listen to them. I have had them now for just a few days, with the first couple days doing burn in.

I've been listening mostly to classical music on them, flac files, and the sound is just amazing.

Waiting for a new amp, and maybe a new dac, I would think that will really open them up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread