or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 119

post #1771 of 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenErik View Post



Glad you're liking it!

 

Just opened up the packaging on mine. It's # 5220. Looks great. Wish I could use it, but I won't be home from work for another 3 1/2 hours.


 

Haha, I had #5210.  So close.  Enjoy!

post #1772 of 10477

5929 lol

post #1773 of 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly View Post




 

Haha, I had #5210.  So close.  Enjoy!



Perhaps we ordered from the same place. You like the HD800s better? Just curious. And what sort of music do you tend to listen to?

 

Loving the T1 so far although it does seem slightly more sibilant than the Q701. We'll see how burn in goes (if there is any). Clarity is a definite improvement over the Q701. Bass is improved as well. Deeper extension and a little more impact to my ears. The sound stage seems a little narrower, but not much. It's easily made up for in depth that does not seem to exist on the Q701.

 

Returning the Q701 to Amazon tomorrow for a full refund. I would have been fine with paying a restocking fee, but the Amazon rep entered the item as being defective and damaged on my return shipping label. Well alright! :P Not going to argue with that.

 

Next step is upgrading my DAC and amp. Very close to springing for a SPL Auditor. We'll see.


Edited by ZenErik - 12/28/11 at 5:28pm
post #1774 of 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenErik View Post



Perhaps we ordered from the same place. You like the HD800s better? Just curious. And what sort of music do you tend to listen to?

 

Loving the T1 so far although it does seem slightly more sibilant than the Q701. We'll see how burn in goes (if there is any). Clarity is a definite improvement over the Q701. Bass is improved as well. Deeper extension and a little more impact to my ears. The sound stage seems a little narrower, but not much. It's easily much up for in depth that does not seem to exist on the Q701.

 

Returning the Q701 to Amazon tomorrow for a full refund. I would have been fine with paying a restocking fee, but the Amazon rep entered the item as being defective and damaged on my return shipping label. Well alright! :P Not going to argue with that.

 

Next step is upgrading my DAC and amp. Very close to springing for a SPL Auditor. We'll see.


very nice.

 

post #1775 of 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenErik View Post



Perhaps we ordered from the same place. You like the HD800s better? Just curious. And what sort of music do you tend to listen to?

 

Loving the T1 so far although it does seem slightly more sibilant than the Q701. We'll see how burn in goes (if there is any). Clarity is a definite improvement over the Q701. Bass is improved as well. Deeper extension and a little more impact to my ears. The sound stage seems a little narrower, but not much. It's easily made up for in depth that does not seem to exist on the Q701.

 

Returning the Q701 to Amazon tomorrow for a full refund. I would have been fine with paying a restocking fee, but the Amazon rep entered the item as being defective and damaged on my return shipping label. Well alright! :P Not going to argue with that.

 

Next step is upgrading my DAC and amp. Very close to springing for a SPL Auditor. We'll see.


ProAudioStar ftw?

 

I do like the HD 800 better actually.  I don't really notice the things that people complain about in the HD 800s, such as overly energetic treble and light bass.  There isn't nearly as big of a difference in those aspects between the HD 800 and T1s, from what I'm hearing.  Maybe audiophiles are a bit... dramatic... in their descriptions sometimes.

 

The HD 800s have a much more realistic soundstage in that they don't seem to have a defined boundary.  The soundstage is as big as the music calls for and the sound flows freely and unconstrained.  There is also great balance in width, height, and depth which adds to the realism, IMO.

 

Tonalities of certain instruments, pianos in particular, is much more life-like on the HD 800s.  Overall, the HD 800s have an edge on the T1s in clarity.

 

The T1s are an excellent pair of headphones though and I would probably buy them again if the opportunity arises.  At the moment, I'm sticking with 1 though and I think the HD 800s is the one for me.

 

 

 

 

 

post #1776 of 10477

4961 arrived today.  I can already tell I'm in for a treat.  Impressions to come once I have some time with them.

 

 

post #1777 of 10477

I'm loving the soundstage on the T1. And the imaging. Instruments sound so much more real on acoustic recordings compared to the Q701.

 

However, I can't enjoy some of my favorite songs because of the sibilance. I did some comparisons with the Q701. The sibilance on the songs is definitely there on both. But it just feels about 50% louder on the T1 due to that treble spike. So, I hate to say it, but I'm having to EQ my $1000 headphone in that one spot to tame that spike and enjoy some of my more poorly recorded music. Is that okay? Haha. What do others feel about this?


Edited by ZenErik - 12/29/11 at 5:55am
post #1778 of 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenErik View Post

I'm loving the soundstage on the T1. And the imaging. Instruments sound so much more real on acoustic recordings compared to the Q701.

 

However, I can't enjoy some of my favorite songs because of the sibilance. I did some comparisons with the Q701. The sibilance on the songs is definitely there on both. But it just feels about 50% louder on the T1 due to that treble spike. So, I hate to say it, but I'm having to EQ my $1000 headphone in that one spot to tame that spike and enjoy some of my more poorly recorded music. Is that okay? Haha. What do others feel about this?



If your recordings are sibilant you will hear it on the T1 no doubt. I stay away from bad recordings in general on all my stuff. But the T1 because it is so transparent and has inner detail will reveal it any more so and on good recordings the treble is never harsh and I recognize no spike in the treble. What you are hearing is transparency and everything from amp to source and recording is revealed. So i think your experiencing a world class headphone playing recordings that are sibilant. Compressed music will also sound loud. I use CD source and never EQ anything in my rig but thats my preference and I know many use EQ here. Is it wrong? Not if you like its soundwink_face.gif

post #1779 of 10477
Thanks for the response. My first listening has got me thinking that I may want to go with a tube amp after all. I did want to with a solid state amp that is as neutral as possible. Now I am thinking I may want something that is slightly colored. something that will smooth the highs just a little bit.

So Auditor or CSP2+. Hmmm.

As a side note, Amazon already refunded me on the Q701 that I haven't even shipped yet. They must be trying to tempt me to be an awful person and get free headphones from them. But I can't do that and live with myself. biggrin.gif
post #1780 of 10477

The T1 ruined music for me, haha. (Not really)

 

Before when I listened to the Q701 and Etymotic MC2 I almost never heard sibilance. Now I hear it constantly! It sticks out like a sore thumb at every instance. Ah, the pitfalls of hi fi audio gear.

post #1781 of 10477
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenErik View Post

 

Before when I listened to the Q701 and Etymotic MC2 I almost never heard sibilance. Now I hear it constantly! It sticks out like a sore thumb at every instance. Ah, the pitfalls of hi fi audio gear.


 

Interesting. To my ears, the T1 (# 2556) is not sibilant at all. If there's sibilance in the recording, the T1 will show this of course - but in these cases I can even hear sibilance with the HD650, and then it's usually worse than with the T1.

All of my other headphones had/have more sibilance, and the K701 was one of the worst...

post #1782 of 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dude View Post


 

Interesting. To my ears, the T1 (# 2556) is not sibilant at all. If there's sibilance in the recording, the T1 will show this of course - but in these cases I can even hear sibilance with the HD650, and then it's usually worse than with the T1.

All of my other headphones had/have more sibilance, and the K701 was one of the worst...



There is definitely sibilance in the recordings I am talking about. They are not of the best quality but are some of my favorite songs. I guess I am coming to find that the T1 can make some of those recordings less enjoyable because it seems to highlight sibilance more than other headphones I have used. EQing the peak that's in the 8-9k range down helps quite a bit. And since getting the T1 yesterday I am now noticing sibilance much more on ALL of my headphones. :D

 

Now when I switch to a better recording the T1 trounces the Q701 easily. No contest. Everything sounds better on the T1 and sounds more life like.

post #1783 of 10477

mine is only sibilant on bad recordings, but usually its well behaved. i am using a WA2 which is an amazing amp for the T1.

post #1784 of 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

mine is only sibilant on bad recordings, but usually its well behaved. i am using a WA2 which is an amazing amp for the T1.



Yes, I get that's it's only sibilant on the bad recordings. My issue is that the 8-9KHz peak seems to enhance certain sibilance and sort of accent it.

The feeling I get is that the T1 is making certain sibilant sounds louder than they would be if the headphone were neutral. When I EQ that peak down the sibilance is still there but sounds more in line with the Q701 except better overall sound, of course.

post #1785 of 10477

I made some "strange" experiences during my battle.

Most of the people said, that the sound signature of the T1 is darker compared to HD800 but for me it is the other way round. My T1 (SN 64xx) has a cooler sound signature than my HD800 (SN 14xxx). Maybe due to the changed setup for the newer HD800 models. Did someone from you make similar experiences ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread