or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 97

post #1441 of 10479
Quote:

Originally Posted by ITCW View Post

 

Also, I read that high-end DACs do not upsample music files, while cheaper DACs do. How much does upsampling compromise music anyways? Does buying a DAC with no upsampling make a dramatic difference? Thanks.

 

 

 

Many (most) DACs internally upsample prior to conversion to analog.  Most CD players do.  There are benefits to this such as the ability to use digital filters rather than analog reconstruction filters.  There are various trade-offs - as with all things - depending on the design of the filters, etc..

 

Upsampling does not compromise the sound.  It is simply mathematical transcoding to a different format which neither creates nor destroys information.

 

The DacMagic transcodes all files to 24/96.  Benchmark DACs transcode to 110 kHz, IIRC.  

 

If you would like to know more, Benchmark's website has some great articles. 
 

 

post #1442 of 10479
Thread Starter 

True but I feel that re-sampling doesn't do anything worthwhile to the sound. I really haven't found any advantages to re-sampling.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti View Post

Many (most) DACs internally upsample prior to conversion to analog.  Most CD players do.  There are benefits to this such as the ability to use digital filters rather than analog reconstruction filters.  There are various trade-offs - as with all things - depending on the design of the filters, etc..

 

Upsampling does not compromise the sound.  It is simply mathematical transcoding to a different format which neither creates nor destroys information.

 

The DacMagic transcodes all files to 24/96.  Benchmark DACs transcode to 110 kHz, IIRC.  

 

If you would like to know more, Benchmark's website has some great articles. 

 

post #1443 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

True but I feel that re-sampling doesn't do anything worthwhile to the sound. I really haven't found any advantages to re-sampling. 

 


By itself upsampling doesn't improve the sound.  Not a whit.

 

The advantage is in how the upsampled data can be treated internally in a DAC or DAW designed to take advantage of the benefits.

 

post #1444 of 10479

Ok, thanks for clearing things up.

 

Anyways, my T1 finally arrived last Thursday. Sounds and looks terrific. However I am kind of bummed that there are 2 big blotches of glue that are very visible on the cups. For a $1,300 headphone, I expected better craftsmanship.

 

To add more insult to injury, my T1's plug came loose from its foam slot in the box.... so my headphone has some ugly markings on it as a result of the plug hitting the metal cup many times during delivery. Great...

 

Still, awesome headphones- sounds great with the WA3! I think I'm finally cured of upgradeitis... for a while anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti View Post

Many (most) DACs internally upsample prior to conversion to analog.  Most CD players do.  There are benefits to this such as the ability to use digital filters rather than analog reconstruction filters.  There are various trade-offs - as with all things - depending on the design of the filters, etc..

 

Upsampling does not compromise the sound.  It is simply mathematical transcoding to a different format which neither creates nor destroys information.

 

The DacMagic transcodes all files to 24/96.  Benchmark DACs transcode to 110 kHz, IIRC.  

 

If you would like to know more, Benchmark's website has some great articles.  

 



 

post #1445 of 10479

Don't tolerate that, ask for an exchange.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITCW View Post

Ok, thanks for clearing things up.

 

Anyways, my T1 finally arrived last Thursday. Sounds and looks terrific. However I am kind of bummed that there are 2 big blotches of glue that are very visible on the cups. For a $1,300 headphone, I expected better craftsmanship.

 

To add more insult to injury, my T1's plug came loose from its foam slot in the box.... so my headphone has some ugly markings on it as a result of the plug hitting the metal cup many times during delivery. Great...

 

Still, awesome headphones- sounds great with the WA3! I think I'm finally cured of upgradeitis... for a while anyways.

 



 

post #1446 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post

Don't tolerate that, ask for an exchange. 

 



A big +1.  Beyer would also agree - this is not a product example of which they would be proud.

post #1447 of 10479

I am getting an itch for the T1's.  At home I usually rotate Stax 404's, HD600's and AKG702's -- yeah, each covering different ground.  Within the context of my current rotation, in real world terms what will my $1200.00 get me?  I have good source/amp gear.

post #1448 of 10479
I'm rubbish at describing music and headphone characteristics, and I have a tiny repertoire of cans. However I can say that I recently (two days ago recently) moved from an STX feeding 880/660s to a WA2 feeding T1s.

Rachmaninoff's Vocalise is sending shivers down my spine. And it's never done that before. dt880smile.png
post #1449 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

I'm rubbish at describing music and headphone characteristics, and I have a tiny repertoire of cans. However I can say that I recently (two days ago recently) moved from an STX feeding 880/660s to a WA2 feeding T1s.
Rachmaninoff's Vocalise is sending shivers down my spine. And it's never done that before. dt880smile.png


Excellent!!

 

I think you just did a superb job describing the sound.

 

Congrats on the gear.

post #1450 of 10479

Like a few others here, I've recently picked up a Woo WA3 for my T1's. The combo is wonderful. Someday I'll upgrade to the WA2 perhaps. But for now, it's happy camping dt880smile.png

post #1451 of 10479
Mine was a bit of an unplanned, spur of the moment acquisition (both the cans and then the amp). But I'm massively pleased with my decision. It's better sounding than anything I've owned to this point, by a substantial margin. The music sounded wonderful before, but it felt (in retrospect) that my brain was actively finding and appreciating the different voices.

Now, it feels more passive. I can just sit there and the music flows in and does all the work - the violin soars in spirals between your ears, the cello cascades straight down to massage your brain stem. I had to tell Holly Cole to stop breathing in my ear (actually that's not true, I didn't mind that in the least wink.gif).

Loving this combo.

Thanks to everyone on Head-Fi who makes this kind of purchase a much more informed exercise.
post #1452 of 10479

I'm not one to b**** much on this forum...but let's just say I've spent probably 10 hours the past 3 days reading this ENTIRE thread in hopes of gleaning some meaningful impressions about my next purchase: the Tesla 1.  This thread is almost a complete waste of space. Aside from probably 5-6 posts that have some impressions that are somewhat helpful, the thread can otherwise be somewhat summed up like this:

 

"This headphone is B.R.I.G.H.T!"

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

"Is not!!!!"

"Yes it iiiiiiiis!"

"Cables make a difference."

"Do not."

"Yeah huh!"

"NOPE."

"Don't shortchange this $1300 headphone-buy a great OTL!"

"Nah, my portable amp couldn't possibly be a weak link."

"rolleyes.gif"

"Guys! my Grados OWN your T1!"

"...Guys? Seriously, fo' realz yoz! Grados the bomb-Tesla suxxorz!!"

everyone: "confused_face_2.gif...please...GTFO"

 

rinse and repeat for 97 pages...

 

 

 

Sorry  guys...I just wanna glean even an OUNCE of impressions about this headphone....any other main T1 threads going? I've already read Pete's "T1 and HD800 musings" thread-any other big ones out there??

 

-Daniel


Edited by BournePerfect - 10/21/11 at 1:45am
post #1453 of 10479

http://www.head-fi.org/t/565045/is-the-beyer-t1-what-im-looking-for/60#post_7718591

 

This thread has some impressions. There are a few other good ones as well, try searching.

 

This thread for some reason is probably the least informative for getting actual comments on the sound.

post #1454 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

I'm not one to b**** much on this forum...but let's just say I've spent probably 10 hours the past 3 days reading this ENTIRE thread in hopes of gleaning some meaningful impressions about my next purchase: the Tesla 1.  This thread is almost a complete waste of space. Aside from probably 5-6 posts that have some impressions that are somewhat helpful, the thread can otherwise be somewhat summed up like this:

 

"This headphone is B.R.I.G.H.T!"

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

"Is not!!!!"

"Yes it iiiiiiiis!"

"Cables make a difference."

"Do not."

"Yeah huh!"

"NOPE."

"Don't shortchange this $1300 headphone-buy a great OTL!"

"Nah, my portable amp couldn't possibly be a weak link."

"rolleyes.gif"

"Guys! my Grados OWN your T1!"

"...Guys? Seriously, fo' realz yoz! Grados the bomb-Tesla suxxorz!!"

everyone: "confused_face_2.gif...please...GTFO"

 

rinse and repeat for 97 pages...

 

 

 

Sorry  guys...I just wanna glean even an OUNCE of impressions about this headphone....any other main T1 threads going? I've already read Pete's "T1 and HD800 musings" thread-any other big ones out there??

 

-Daniel




I don't think you are going to get a concensus on how the T1's sound because they are very transparent so one persons opinions and another persons are likely to be different because the T1's are showcasing the differences in the systems they are used on.

post #1455 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

I don't think you are going to get a concensus on how the T1's sound because they are very transparent so one persons opinions and another persons are likely to be different because the T1's are showcasing the differences in the systems they are used on.



I agree your only real option is listening either locally or with a good return policy and that goes for most of the gear discussed on this site imo.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread