or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 90

post #1336 of 10478

Brighter than the LCD2 as well, which was the main one I was referring to. In any case, you can't really say for definite a headphone is or isn't bright or bass balanced or bass light, perhaps in your opinion yes, but everybody hears and feels different. For example, one persons bass normal might be another persons bass heavy or bass light (something that happens quite often). Add to that, even biologically speaking we humans hear differently depending on the health or abilities of our ear drums, the shape of the ears and all sorts. Some people are more susceptible to certain peaks at certain frequencies and others aren't.

 

In any case, it would be interesting to see frequency graphs comparing the older T1 to the new T1 (with upgraded headband and driver covers) to see if there really is a difference, and if so, how much.


Edited by Naim.F.C - 8/22/11 at 8:10pm
post #1337 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post


You sure about that? That EQ has distortion written all over it.

 

I believe I've only heard a bass-heavy T1, would the bass-light variants be considered to have less bass than a DT880/600?

 

Sorry I didn't see your post.

 

I never noticed any distortion with that EQ.

 

The overly bright, bass light versions had less bass and were brighter than my '03 880s.  That's all I can say.  It was a while ago.

 

I do know they never sounded "good" and I almost sold them because of it. 

 

You'd know it if you heard the "bright" versions.  They sound closer to 701s, if you're looking for a comparison.  But it's been a while since I've had them and the memory of what they sounded like is only a memory now................
 

 

post #1338 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post

Brighter than the LCD2 as well, which was the main one I was referring to. In any case, you can't really say for definite a headphone is or isn't bright or bass balanced or bass light, perhaps in your opinion yes, but everybody hears and feels different. For example, one persons bass normal might be another persons bass heavy or bass light (something that happens quite often). Add to that, even biologically speaking we humans hear differently depending on the health or abilities of our ear drums, the shape of the ears and all sorts. Some people are more susceptible to certain peaks at certain frequencies and others aren't.

 

In any case, it would be interesting to see frequency graphs comparing the older T1 to the new T1 (with upgraded headband and driver covers) to see if there really is a difference, and if so, how much.

 

There is a graph like that around.....  Ah I found it..... see below.....

 

I'm not saying this proves anything, but you wanted to see if there was a difference btn T-1s.

 

 

Tyll posted this T-1 FR on inner fidelity:  (you can find the raw data on his site)

 

T-1.JPG

later on he also posted another T-1 FR, this time of #3964:

 

T-1 3964.JPG
 

 

post #1339 of 10478

Are they from the same headphone? Could always be before and after burn in, since what is being proposed is exactly what I described in my initial impressions of the T1 pre-burn in (light bass, bright highs). My newer version of the headphone essentially still exhibited these traits pre-burn in. Though if the above graphs are from two different versions of the T1, from the same source and both burned in, it's definitely interesting.

post #1340 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post

Are they from the same headphone? Could always be before and after burn in, since what is being proposed is exactly what I described in my initial impressions of the T1 pre-burn in (light bass, bright highs). My newer version of the headphone essentially still exhibited these traits pre-burn in. Though if the above graphs are from two different versions of the T1, from the same source and both burned in, it's definitely interesting.



They are two different T1s, both well used. 

post #1341 of 10478

Hi!

 

A.Anyway,I'm a new headfi member(about a month maybe).

Sorry to derail things but I just got a pair of T1s on a trip to Japan.

 

B.I've been reading this t1 thread for quite a while before becoming a member and have used Beyer's before.Not as an audiophile guy or anything like that(although I've known MANY(and  for a while shared a house with an engineer for Krell(!!) ) but as a musician and music lover.I've previously been mostly into the loudspeaker thing,My lifestyle over the last few years has made headphones important because I'm constantly moving,usually to small apartments VERY far from each other(globally speaking).

 

C.Much of this thread deals with amp synergy/compatability.This is great but I'm using mine with only a Nuforce icon HDP.

 

D.I don't want to sound condescending but I am not young,have been a pro musician for 25 years(lots of studio experience especially).I may not be a real headfi guy but these sound amazing with just this amp!

 

E. Am I crazy!! I've tried a ton of high-end phones before buying these over the last year(although never at a headfi meet although I'd like to). They still sound great.

 

Peace.

 

 

 

 

post #1342 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post





They are two different T1s, both well used. 


Very interesting. In testing my T1's for review purposes earlier, I listened to them minus any EQ'ing for several hours. I must say, they are astonishingly well balanced. I agree, they are not bass shy or lacking in any frequency or area (though I wouldn't say no to a tiny bit more bass quantity just for the odd dub step use). Coupled with the Continental there is no sign of sibilance any where either. Just supremely detailed, well extended, smooth highs. The amp does well to refine them, removing any traces of grain. Also adds some welcome extra bottom end and widens the soundstage considerably to a deliciously expansive size. I'd imagine a lot of tube amps might synergise really well with the T1's, just adding that extra layer of warmth and texture. Dialling back some of it's energy.

 

After seeing the graph above, I'm just glad I have the new version!

 


Edited by Naim.F.C - 8/23/11 at 5:27am
post #1343 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

Sorry I didn't see your post.

 

I never noticed any distortion with that EQ.

 

The overly bright, bass light versions had less bass and were brighter than my '03 880s.  That's all I can say.  It was a while ago.

 

I do know they never sounded "good" and I almost sold them because of it. 

 

You'd know it if you heard the "bright" versions.  They sound closer to 701s, if you're looking for a comparison.  But it's been a while since I've had them and the memory of what they sounded like is only a memory now................
 


It's quite alright. I just noticed you went over +0dB and in theory that should create distortion, you want to move the entire EQ down below the +0dB line.

 

Reason I ask about the T1 in comparison to the 880; I like the bass of the 880 and wouldn't want anymore quantity wise, I can always have impact. I auditioned a newish pair and the bass was over-the-top, I was disappointed as it was my planned upgrade. As it is I've stopped looking but don't want to think I'm at the end of my audio journey with a measly pair of 880s.

post #1344 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by againpleased View Post

Hi!

 

A.Anyway,I'm a new headfi member(about a month maybe).

Sorry to derail things but I just got a pair of T1s on a trip to Japan.

 

B.I've been reading this t1 thread for quite a while before becoming a member and have used Beyer's before.Not as an audiophile guy or anything like that(although I've known MANY(and  for a while shared a house with an engineer for Krell(!!) ) but as a musician and music lover.I've previously been mostly into the loudspeaker thing,My lifestyle over the last few years has made headphones important because I'm constantly moving,usually to small apartments VERY far from each other(globally speaking).

 

C.Much of this thread deals with amp synergy/compatability.This is great but I'm using mine with only a Nuforce icon HDP.

 

D.I don't want to sound condescending but I am not young,have been a pro musician for 25 years(lots of studio experience especially).I may not be a real headfi guy but these sound amazing with just this amp!

 

E. Am I crazy!! I've tried a ton of high-end phones before buying these over the last year(although never at a headfi meet although I'd like to). They still sound great.

 

Peace.

 

 

 

 


The HDP is insane for the price... I loved it with the T1 as well.

 

Nope you're not crazy, they're that good. They're my favorite top tier dynamic... just make sure you try the LCD-2 at some point wink.gif

post #1345 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post


It's quite alright. I just noticed you went over +0dB and in theory that should create distortion, you want to move the entire EQ down below the +0dB line.

 

Reason I ask about the T1 in comparison to the 880; I like the bass of the 880 and wouldn't want anymore quantity wise, I can always have impact. I auditioned a newish pair and the bass was over-the-top, I was disappointed as it was my planned upgrade. As it is I've stopped looking but don't want to think I'm at the end of my audio journey with a measly pair of 880s.


The T1 definitely has more bass than the DT880. It's about halfway between the 880 and 990.

 

post #1346 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post

The T1 definitely has more bass than the DT880. It's about halfway between the 880 and 990.

 


Yeah that's what I gathered from my initial listen. I wonder why Beyer choose to go so artificial with the bass, were they really trying to create an 880/990 monster rather than a new neutral reference phone? 

post #1347 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post





They are two different T1s, both well used. 


Tyll do you remember the serial number of the first one? 

 

 

post #1348 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post


Yeah that's what I gathered from my initial listen. I wonder why Beyer choose to go so artificial with the bass, were they really trying to create an 880/990 monster rather than a new neutral reference phone? 


I think that you have been led astray by word interpretation, and perhaps a less than thorough initial listen.  The T1 is not a headphone you would describe as having artificial bass, it is as close to neutral as you can get IMO.  It is a true reference headphone and is in everyway a better headphone than the DT880, and I really like the DT880.
 

 


Edited by Kernmac - 8/23/11 at 2:39pm
post #1349 of 10478


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernmac View Post




I think that you have been led astray by word interpretation, and perhaps a less than thorough initial listen.  The T1 is not a headphone you would describe as having artificial bass, it is as close to neutral as you can get IMO.  It is a true reference headphone and is in everyway a better headphone than the DT880, and I really like the DT880.
 

 

X2 and the better the system the better they sound
 

 

post #1350 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernmac View Post

I think that you have been led astray by word interpretation, and perhaps a less than thorough initial listen.  The T1 is not a headphone you would describe as having artificial bass, it is as close to neutral as you can get IMO.  It is a true reference headphone and is in everyway a better headphone than the DT880, and I really like the DT880.


The only way I can give the T1 a thorough listen with my equipment is if I buy one, and my initial listen put me off. The bass-depth of my 880 extends lower than any headphone I've heard including all the so-named bass-lovers cans, more bass than a DT880 tells me it's quantity, which I certainly don't need. My initial listen was that it is boomier, like a DT880 with a fat bottom and designer clothes. In fact the first thing that stood out was the low-end, either because it's the first and easiest thing I can ascertain, or because it is more than I'm used too. Is the T1 closer to neutral than the DT880, or is it just a matter of choice? For instance if I bought the T1, I'd find I had more bass, more treble energy, more soundstage and convince myself more is better, afterall it's a much more expensive headphone.

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2033&graphID[]=2751

 

The graphs says the DT880 stays closer to neutral than the T1, but I know full well you can't know how a headphone sounds from a FR graph. I'm just going to throw this out there because I can; is there any possibility that Beyer, in light of other headphone manufacturers building thousand dollar flagships pushed out an all metal construction with more of everything from it's predecessors in hope it would meet everyone's expectations. This could explain why we have multiple versions of the T1, and why people like myself aren't entirely convinced.

 

What's the best amp for the T1, I would imagine like the 880 an OTL amp?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread