or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 88

post #1306 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post




FYI...one doesn't use an amp to crank up the volume on headphones. Again, I'm sure it sounds good, but trust me, the T1s are capable of better. IMO, the T1s and tubes are the optimal pairing.

 

Going from SS to tubes was the biggest upgrade for the T1. I prefer it all the time over solid state and I do listen to SS amps as well but not with the T1.
 

 

post #1307 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post

Using an ALO Continental with them now and honestly, it's a sublime pairing. The loudest I ever go is 60% as well, so there is bags of power. Read my impressions on the previous page. Honestly, The Continental, despite being portable, just sounds fantastic paired with a T1. The best portable compliment to the T1 I've tested yet, by far. Not sure how much improvement there could be left to be had with these headphones, though I'm certain there's still plenty of potential. I do think for my tastes personally, a tube amp is a better idea for these than solid state. That extra warmth, body and bass just does wonders.
 


The T-1 doesn't sound bad on my Portaphile V2 Maxxed either.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


FYI...one doesn't use an amp to crank up the volume on headphones. Again, I'm sure it sounds good, but trust me, the T1s are capable of better. IMO, the T1s and tubes are the optimal pairing.

 


Oh?

 

post #1308 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post




FYI...one doesn't use an amp to crank up the volume on headphones. Again, I'm sure it sounds good, but trust me, the T1s are capable of better. IMO, the T1s and tubes are the optimal pairing.

 

 

That may be the case with certain headphones (such as my D5000's and T50RP's) but not with my T1's. I don't know if it's the high impedance, but different amps allow for different volume levels with it.

 

For example, straight out of my iPhone, even at max volume it's still not loud enough. Using the JDS cMoy, at max volume it's fairly loud, but just shy of being loud enough. From my SR-71A, optimal volume is around the 80% mark and with the ALO Continental, to achieve the same volume I only need to use 50% to 60% of the volume dial. So contrary to what you're saying, imo from personal experience with the T1's, depending on the source player, different amps definitely do allow for different levels of max volume.

 

Also, no doubt a good amp will make a difference. A user from head.fi posted on the ALO Continental thread that his Schiit Lyr (desktop amp) only yielded slightly better results than his ALO Continental (portable amp), and that he still uses the Continental most times as the difference in quality was not worth the convenience of having portable power. I was going to purchase a Schiit Valhalla for my T1's, but since getting The Continental, I'm finding I'm not as compelled to any more.

 

Guess I'll wait and see later. Want to hear impressions from the BiFrost first anyway. For me it will either be CLAS+Continental or BiFrost+Valhalla as my go to set up. But I have to admit, I much prefer the idea of having a portable set up. My bedroom is huge and I'm constantly moving around from desk, to bed, to PC desk, to table etc. Would rather just pick up a portable amp and move as oppose to having a long cable stretch to a desktop amp somewhere in the room.
 

 


Edited by Naim.F.C - 8/20/11 at 7:08pm
post #1309 of 10478

Anyone try the Graham Slee Solo/Ultra-Linear with the T1? I was just reading of how it has a warm tube-like presentation with a bit of emphasis on the bottom end, might go well together.

post #1310 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytus View Post

Anyone try the Graham Slee Solo/Ultra-Linear with the T1? I was just reading of how it has a warm tube-like presentation with a bit of emphasis on the bottom end, might go well together.



That might work.  What do you think Peter?

 

E

post #1311 of 10478

The T1s are pretty easy to drive volume wise. I run them at 25% on the Darkvoice 332 and 40% on the Burson - lower than both the HD650 and K701.

post #1312 of 10478

Some comparisons:  And Peter was right.  Although they did very good jobs, neither of the portables below were as good as my GS-1, but the Portaphile was closer to the GS-1 than the Hornet.

 

some quick and dirty pics

 

Portaphile on high gain Hornet on high gain (7o"clock is 0 volume on both portables)  Portaphile is at 11:00, Hornet is at 9:30 <---approximately the same volume

 

IMG_4055 1024.jpg

 

Portaphile on high gain, Hornet on medium gain..... volume pots are at equal settings around 10:00 <---approximately the same volume

IMG_4052 1024.jpg

post #1313 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

Some comparisons:  And Peter was right.  Although they did very good jobs, neither of the portables below were as good as my GS-1, but the Portaphile was closer to the GS-1 than the Hornet.

 

some quick and dirty pics

 

Portaphile on high gain Hornet on high gain (7o"clock is 0 volume on both portables)  Portaphile is at 11:00, Hornet is at 9:30 <---approximately the same volume

 

IMG_4055 1024.jpg

 

Portaphile on high gain, Hornet on medium gain..... volume pots are at equal settings around 10:00 <---approximately the same volume

IMG_4052 1024.jpg



E: I can testify that the Hornet/T1 was good (I liked the pairing on my deck by the pool when I had my Hornet)....just not WA2, Concerto or WA22 good. wink.gif

 

EDIT: When it comes to these flagship headphones, I don't want to settle for amping/sources that just make them sound good...I want to hear them at/very close to their best. Otherwise, I would settle down with a pair of HD650s or DT880s.


Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/20/11 at 9:16pm
post #1314 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

E: I can testify that the Hornet/T1 was good (I liked the pairing on my deck by the pool when I had my Hornet)....just not WA2, Concerto or WA22 good. wink.gif

 

EDIT: When it comes to these flagship headphones, I don't want to settle for amping/sources that just make them sound good...I want to hear them at/very close to their best. Otherwise, I would settle down with a pair of HD650s or DT880s.


When you're right, you're right!beerchug.gif   

 

post #1315 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


EDIT: When it comes to these flagship headphones, I don't want to settle for amping/sources that just make them sound good...I want to hear them at/very close to their best. Otherwise, I would settle down with a pair of HD650s or DT880s.

 

If only it was that easy. To hear them at their very best or close to it, you might have to spend several thousand pounds. Maybe even three times plus the price of the headphone's themselves. Imo it's about finding the right balance between performance, cost and for some, convenience. Unfortunately I'm not quite rich enough and my conscience would never allow me to spend so much unless I was able to afford a similar sum towards charity. I'm assuming (as with most technology) the higher up you go, the less value you get for your money. But I do respect people who can afford both (provided they are also still charitable with their money).

 

With that being said, I would be interested in a comparison of the ALO Continental vs the Schiit Valhalla or Meir Concerto. So far the only comparison I've read is about the Lyr vs Continental, and that mentioned that with the T1's the Lyr was only slightly better (they're about the same price, just one is portable and the other isn't). The comparison was hardly comprehensive mind...

 

post #1316 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post



 

If only it was that easy. To hear them at their very best or close to it, you might have to spend several thousand pounds. Maybe even three times plus the price of the headphone's themselves. Imo it's about finding the right balance between performance, cost and for some, convenience. Unfortunately I'm not quite rich enough and my conscience would never allow me to spend so much unless I was able to afford a similar sum towards charity. I'm assuming (as with most technology) the higher up you go, the less value you get for your money. But I do respect people who can afford both (provided they are also still charitable with their money).

 

With that being said, I would be interested in a comparison of the ALO Continental vs the Schiit Valhalla or Meir Concerto. So far the only comparison I've read is about the Lyr vs Continental, and that mentioned that with the T1's the Lyr was only slightly better (they're about the same price, just one is portable and the other isn't). The comparison was hardly comprehensive mind...

 


I wouldn't consider the Lyr a "high end" solution for the T1s (I've got both right here). But that said, the Lyr does respond very well to tube changes. I did prefer the Concerto (now sold) over the Lyr. But getting the headphones are only part of the picture...it's about the entire system...source/dac/amp/cables (if you're so inclined)/tubes (if you're into tubes)/etc...

 

You don't have to jump on everything at the same time...it's about the journey and experiences. smile.gif

 

post #1317 of 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post




I wouldn't consider the Lyr a "high end" solution for the T1s (I've got both right here). But that said, the Lyr does respond very well to tube changes. I did prefer the Concerto (now sold) over the Lyr. But getting the headphones are only part of the picture...it's about the entire system...source/dac/amp/cables (if you're so inclined)/tubes (if you're into tubes)/etc...

 

You don't have to jump on everything at the same time...it's about the journey and experiences. smile.gif

 


I completely agree, a very exciting journey no less! Just a very....very expensive one lol. Does anyone have impressions on a Lyr vs valhalla with the T1? I was thinking the Valhalla might actually sound better, but that's just an assumption.

post #1318 of 10478
Thread Starter 

Yes it's a very exiting and expensive journey. Heck I bought an SPL Auditor last week and will be getting a Benchmark DAC1 this week (maybe).
 

My wallet weeps whenever I open her up and look at my debit cards....

 

And I am fully aware of what the DAC1 is supposed to sound like (very clear, slightly tube like, and clinical). I like clinical ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post


I completely agree, a very exciting journey no less! Just a very....very expensive one lol. Does anyone have impressions on a Lyr vs valhalla with the T1? I was thinking the Valhalla might actually sound better, but that's just an assumption.


Edited by Zombie_X - 8/21/11 at 9:53am
post #1319 of 10478

Hey all, wanted some input on which part of my audio chain to upgrade next to get the most out of these headphones.  Keep in mind still relatively new, haven't heard a tube amp yet so not sure what tube sound is like exactly.  Reading descriptions on here and wiki is somewhat confusing.  Would think introducing distortion is bad but then I look at the posts in the amp section and it sounds like tube rolling can fix any flaw in the sound.  I listen to all genres so would want something well-rounded ideally.  Hopefully I can hear one at a meet or convention in the future.  Here's what I have so far (still waiting on DAC).

 

Onkyo C-S5VL / FLAC => Schiit Bifrost => Schiit Lyr => T1

 

Is the amp the weakest link in the chain?  It seems like a lot of people in this thread are raving about tubes, so here are my choices:

 

1.  Tube roll with the Lyr, this seems most economical but not sure how much impact there will be.

 

2.  Get a more high-end tubey amp, maybe CSP2 / WA2 / WA5LE - though if I go down this route I probably won't be upgrading for awhile due to $$$, spend my money on expanding music collection then.

 

3.  Get a different headphone.

post #1320 of 10478
From what i've read the CSP2 is an excellent choice for T1.. you also have the options of adding stepped attenuator to it + it can accept cans of any impedences.. its also a tube preamp for speakers. Also they said it has a blacker background than Lyr..

You can also check if any of the Cavalli diy amps works well with T1.. maybe CTH or EHHA or Bijou

Vahalla is suposse to be good with T1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread