or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 80

post #1186 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

I cannot believe that the plug is the cause of the brightness and lack of bass, or any other sonic differences apart from microphonics coming from wiggling the plug. Also,  i'ts only the outside that is plated, the rest of the plug is "ordinary" metal. Amping and lack of burn-in sound more likely.

 

It could also be your ears/gray mass that need to adjust to a "new" sound.



Possibly, going to listen to them for the next few hours, but honestly, I think a more powerful amp might do these more justice (the SR-71A still does a blinding job with every other headphone and IEM I own). I can't wait for the Continental to arrive. Yes it's still a portable, but I've heard it packs a much greater punch than most portables, including the Rx MkII.


Edited by Naim.F.C - 8/10/11 at 7:43pm
post #1187 of 10479

Its hard for me to fathom someone saying the T1s are lacking in bass quantity. On my setup this couldn't be further from the truth  - and this is coming from the D7000s. IMO the T1s have bass in the same ballpark as the D7000s while having far more control. The D7000s have the mid bass hump (which I'm sure the D5000s have as well) which gives off the perception of more bass and a warmer sound. In my experience amps don't have a huge impact on bass quantity. The T1s have a similar amount of bass on my Darkvoice 332 and Burson HA160.

post #1188 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post

Its hard for me to fathom someone saying the T1s are lacking in bass quantity. On my setup this couldn't be further from the truth  - and this is coming from the D7000s. IMO the T1s have bass in the same ballpark as the D7000s while having far more control. The D7000s have the mid bass hump (which I'm sure the D5000s have as well) which gives off the perception of more bass and a warmer sound. In my experience amps don't have a huge impact on bass quantity. The T1s have a similar amount of bass on my Darkvoice 332 and Burson HA160.


Much of the "effect" an amp has on bass is due to impedance matching issues.  High output Z amps really want high Z headphones.  The lower the ratio of amp/phone impedance, the more effect on bass (an increase on the majority of phones).  If the ratio of amp impedance to phone impedance gets under about 10:1 you can get a 1-3 db lift in bass (yes, that's measurable).  

 

For this reason, I try to have all my amps under 10ohms, preferably less than 2.  Keeps the sound from becoming artificially warm on my low impedance T50s, LCD-2s, and most importantly JH16s (the orthos have super-flat impedance response so bass is not so affected as conventional drivers).

 

post #1189 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post

Its hard for me to fathom someone saying the T1s are lacking in bass quantity. On my setup this couldn't be further from the truth  - and this is coming from the D7000s. IMO the T1s have bass in the same ballpark as the D7000s while having far more control. The D7000s have the mid bass hump (which I'm sure the D5000s have as well) which gives off the perception of more bass and a warmer sound. In my experience amps don't have a huge impact on bass quantity. The T1s have a similar amount of bass on my Darkvoice 332 and Burson HA160.



Hmm, I'm not so sure. A portable amps adds a lot of impact to the bass in the Westone 4's, which are frankly quite timid straight out of the iphone. A/B'ing the T1 and the D5000, there is actually a considerable difference with the bass from my current set up. I'll keep listening and see if anything changes, but I'm not sure what else could explain it. If I could just have bass that was half way between what I currently have from the T1's and D5000, I'd be in bass heaven. Hopefully an amp change or burn in fixes this. I'm even considering buying the ALO 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor, but $150-$195 is an awful lot considering my current one piece 24k gold plated adapter cost me just $5. Comparisons of both would be great.

post #1190 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post





Hmm, I'm not so sure. A portable amps adds a lot of impact to the bass in the Westone 4's, which are frankly quite timid straight out of the iphone. A/B'ing the T1 and the D5000, there is actually a considerable difference with the bass from my current set up. I'll keep listening and see if anything changes, but I'm not sure what else could explain it. If I could just have bass that was half way between what I currently have from the T1's and D5000, I'd be in bass heaven. Hopefully an amp change or burn in fixes this. I'm even considering buying the ALO 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor, but $150-$195 is an awful lot considering my current one piece 24k gold plated adapter cost me just $5. Comparisons of both would be great.

 

Seriously, you are even considering a $150 adaptor? Is it made from Unobtainium and covered with diamonds? Thats nothing short of robbery.

A good adaptor would the Grado one and its 15 bucks or something. It has a piece of wire in between to reduce strain on the 3.5mm jack.

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_accessories.php?item=af057189070b2cce5d99b942344ebf73


Also, i agree that an amp with more balls might do the trick. There are plenty of cheap OTL amps.

 


Edited by Stitch - 8/11/11 at 2:24pm
post #1191 of 10479

#3558 here, headphone arrived today but amp won't till next week, and DAC not till next month..  what's a guy to do in the meantime !?  blink.gif

post #1192 of 10479

Buy a 150 dollar converter and listen to it from your dap :)

post #1193 of 10479

Plug it into whatever you've got - it'll probably still sound better than anything you've heard before. Then when the rest of your gear comes you can enjoy another upgrade.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinque View Post

#3558 here, headphone arrived today but amp won't till next week, and DAC not till next month..  what's a guy to do in the meantime !?  blink.gif



 

post #1194 of 10479

Ok, well after at least 15 hours of on and off listening (even when I'm not listening it's often playing), I must say, a quite substantial improvement after some burn in. High's and top end are now a lot less bright or sibilant. Everything is smoother, bass is more extended now too and overall I'm actually just delighted with the headphones. I've spent 5 hours plus trying to find the perfect EQ and I'm struggling because the house sound by default is so sumptuously well balanced and rich in all areas. It's got bags of detail and clarity. Only downside is there seems to be some sort of 7-10khz extension or something that is thinning out vocals ever so slightly. It's the only real reason I'm even bothering to EQ, but this headphone does not require it. Even with my current EQ settings (not quite perfected so bare with me before I finally post them) I switch from EQ to flat and vice versa all the time depending on mood and music. The house sound, whilst ever so slightly less thick in the vocals than I'd like, still has a nice overall warmth about it (think, band playing in an old small cafe, pub or club) compared to my EQ settings which have more of a studio recording clarity about them (slightly colder and more clinical).

 

Either way, based on my limited time with them so far, I have been extremely impressed with them. The very first listen I had was a bit dubious, but honestly, I think they just needed a bit of a burn in. Now I'm absolutely addicted to them, though I still feel a slight bit more bass quantity would have been just perfect. Also, evidently the SR-71A seems to be coping well after all, though the cMoy is tad too quiet even with the volume maxed. With the SR-71A I'm not quite maxing the volume.


Edited by Naim.F.C - 8/11/11 at 11:04pm
post #1195 of 10479

Headphonic shipped my T1.  Can't wait to get them. biggrin.gif

post #1196 of 10479

I am having a really tough time trying to decide between the HD-800, the LCD-2 and these. They all seem like sterling headphones. I just don't know. No way I'm getting all of them, at least not at the same time. This hobby's got the tinge of a habit to it already but over three grand on high-end cans when I don't even have a coat rack to hang my 650, 990, 770, 701 and A900 on seems beyond the pale. They're just sitting comfortably in reach. What to do, what to do.

 

Has anyone tried the T5, the closed ones? I have an amazing, unabashed love for the DT-770s, I think the tuned bass reflex port is pretty much the coolest thing I've ever heard in a headphone, such tight bass, what an elegant solution to the problem of boomy bass in closed headphones. I have absurdly high faith in Beyer as a company... But also in Sennheiser... but the LCD-2 are technologically exciting.

 

Woe is me. wink_face.gif

post #1197 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley View Post

I am having a really tough time trying to decide between the HD-800, the LCD-2 and these. They all seem like sterling headphones. I just don't know. No way I'm getting all of them, at least not at the same time. This hobby's got the tinge of a habit to it already but over three grand on high-end cans when I don't even have a coat rack to hang my 650, 990, 770, 701 and A900 on seems beyond the pale. They're just sitting comfortably in reach. What to do, what to do.

 

Has anyone tried the T5, the closed ones? I have an amazing, unabashed love for the DT-770s, I think the tuned bass reflex port is pretty much the coolest thing I've ever heard in a headphone, such tight bass, what an elegant solution to the problem of boomy bass in closed headphones. I have absurdly high faith in Beyer as a company... But also in Sennheiser... but the LCD-2 are technologically exciting.

 

Woe is me. wink_face.gif


The T5p is trash, don't bother. 

 

T1 vs LCD2 vs HD800 really comes down entirely to preference, all of them are among the world's best. You won't really know until you hear them all. 

 

post #1198 of 10479

That's outside my budget and ability to audition, unfortunately, so it's going to have to come down to as informed a decision as can be made with only specifications, brand loyalty and advice from various sources to go on.

 

T5 is a bad headphone? That's disappointing, the DT-770 is one of the only isolating closed cans I've ever liked the actual sound of. Ah, well.

post #1199 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley View Post

I am having a really tough time trying to decide between the HD-800, the LCD-2 and these. They all seem like sterling headphones. I just don't know. No way I'm getting all of them, at least not at the same time. This hobby's got the tinge of a habit to it already but over three grand on high-end cans when I don't even have a coat rack to hang my 650, 990, 770, 701 and A900 on seems beyond the pale. They're just sitting comfortably in reach. What to do, what to do.

 

Has anyone tried the T5, the closed ones? I have an amazing, unabashed love for the DT-770s, I think the tuned bass reflex port is pretty much the coolest thing I've ever heard in a headphone, such tight bass, what an elegant solution to the problem of boomy bass in closed headphones. I have absurdly high faith in Beyer as a company... But also in Sennheiser... but the LCD-2 are technologically exciting.

 

Woe is me. wink_face.gif

 

To be honest, it really depends on what sort of sound you want. From what I have read, the LCD-2 is a warmer sounding more bass emphasised can. Bass is it's real strong point. The HD800's is it's open spacious soundstage (though the T1 is also commended for this). T1's is more on detailing. At 6Moon Audio, the top pick is the T1 (he hasn't tried the LCD-2 mind), though at Headfonia, the review mentioned he preferred the HD800 with slower music (slightly fuller sound) and the T1 with faster music (due to it's speed and control). So take from it what you will.

 

I have heard others say the HD800 is a bit more picky with music than the other two, in-that there are more songs it doesn't work well with compared to the other two which are more all rounders.
 

 

post #1200 of 10479

I'm trying to decide between tube amps for my T1, either the Decware CSP2+ or the WooAudio Wa2. The price is pretty close together and they both can work as a preamp which is a must for me, i will be using them with the tubes that come with them for now. Which one is the quietest of those 2 with regard to hiss hum etc. At the moment i'm leaning to the CSP2+ with it's adjustable input and output volume because my dac is a little hot on the output and i've read some opinion's that it's quiet. Another plus is the option for a stepped attenuator....

 

Are there any upsides for the Wa 2 which i might have overlooked?


Edited by Subsequence - 8/12/11 at 6:36am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread