or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 77

post #1141 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post





hmm close. its about 500 in the fs forum.  any other options?


HDP

 

post #1142 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post





hmm close. its about 500 in the fs forum.  any other options?


Matrix M-Stage. Beefy balanced and single ended opamp rollable amp capable of driving HE500's =

600-awww-yeah-guy_large.jpg?1309368174

 

 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent

 

post #1143 of 10479


I still love the Schiit Valhalla. I think it was $350.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

okay...... ANYWAYS. 

 

are there any amps in the 300-400$ range that you guys enjoy with the t1? 



 

post #1144 of 10479

valhalla vs lyr. ready... go!

 

i might add a mstage later just to see what the hype is about but want to start with tubes.

post #1145 of 10479

I really think the Lyr is great, but so many people are buying and I feel it really overkill for most headphones. The T1 doesn't need all that power.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

valhalla vs lyr. ready... go!

 

i might add a mstage later just to see what the hype is about but want to start with tubes.



 

post #1146 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotts View Post

I really think the Lyr is great, but so many people are buying and I feel it really overkill for most headphones. The T1 doesn't need all that power.

 



 


While it is a fantastic ortho amp, it works very well with both the HD800s and T1s. Not really overkill IMO.

 

post #1147 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post




While it is a fantastic ortho amp, it works very well with both the HD800s and T1s. Not really overkill IMO.

 


but what of the sound quality. i know it doesnt need all that power, but power usually doesnt hurt

post #1148 of 10479

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

valhalla vs lyr. ready... go!

 

i might add a mstage later just to see what the hype is about but want to start with tubes.


I had both the Valhalla and Lyr with the T1, though I no longer have either amp (upgraded to a Woo WA2).  Both were very good with the T1, but my personal preference was for the Valhalla -- to me, it was a little more dynamic and extended, and I'd even dare to say it had a lower noise floor.  At first glance, one might expect the Lyr to be the more dynamic amp, but with the T1 I just didn't find that to be the case -- there's something magical about the 600-ohm Beyerdynamic headphones from OTL tube amps.

 

So if you're looking for an amp exclusively for the T1, or maybe the T1 plus some other high-impedance headphones, I'd recommend the Valhalla.  However, the Lyr does a fine job powering the T1 as well, and it's probably a more versatile amp and will work with a wider variety of headphones.

 

post #1149 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post




but what of the sound quality. i know it doesnt need all that power, but power usually doesnt hurt



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post

 


I had both the Valhalla and Lyr with the T1, though I no longer have either amp (upgraded to a Woo WA2).  Both were very good with the T1, but my personal preference was for the Valhalla -- to me, it was a little more dynamic and extended, and I'd even dare to say it had a lower noise floor.  At first glance, one might expect the Lyr to be the more dynamic amp, but with the T1 I just didn't find that to be the case -- there's something magical about the 600-ohm Beyerdynamic headphones from OTL tube amps.

 

So if you're looking for an amp exclusively for the T1, or maybe the T1 plus some other high-impedance headphones, I'd recommend the Valhalla.  However, the Lyr does a fine job powering the T1 as well, and it's probably a more versatile amp and will work with a wider variety of headphones.

 


While I haven't heard the Valhalla, I too preferred the T1s with the WA2. But if one is thinking of picking up an ortho down the road, maybe the Lyr is the better way to go.

 

post #1150 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post

 


I had both the Valhalla and Lyr with the T1, though I no longer have either amp (upgraded to a Woo WA2).  Both were very good with the T1, but my personal preference was for the Valhalla -- to me, it was a little more dynamic and extended, and I'd even dare to say it had a lower noise floor.  At first glance, one might expect the Lyr to be the more dynamic amp, but with the T1 I just didn't find that to be the case -- there's something magical about the 600-ohm Beyerdynamic headphones from OTL tube amps.

 

So if you're looking for an amp exclusively for the T1, or maybe the T1 plus some other high-impedance headphones, I'd recommend the Valhalla.  However, the Lyr does a fine job powering the T1 as well, and it's probably a more versatile amp and will work with a wider variety of headphones.

 



interesting. my other headphone would be a hd650.  

post #1151 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotts View Post

I really think the Lyr is great, but so many people are buying and I feel it really overkill for most headphones. The T1 doesn't need all that power.
 


I largely agree with this. I think the Lyr has kind of a homogenizing effect on relatively sensitive headphones -- it very slightly takes away some of the magic that makes the T1 special.

 

I've come up with a brilliant solution for this issue -- I use the Lyr for LCD-2 and HE-500, and the WA-2 for T1 and RS-1. "Problem" solved.

 

post #1152 of 10479

I was looking at the Lyr for my HE-6 but bought a Pass Labs Aleph 3 (speaker amp) to run them instead. Mmmm....

 

 

But even after all that I keep going back to the T1 for it's all around goodness. I used the Music Paradise MP-301 Mk2 with then as well, but I still think the Valhalla has the edge here. I am looking to audtion a WA2 (totally missed Mac's here) and a CSP2+ with them, as I see either of those to be an 'end' solution. Aside from ,y T1s being recabled to balanced...WA22?

post #1153 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post

 


I had both the Valhalla and Lyr with the T1, though I no longer have either amp (upgraded to a Woo WA2).  Both were very good with the T1, but my personal preference was for the Valhalla -- to me, it was a little more dynamic and extended, and I'd even dare to say it had a lower noise floor.  At first glance, one might expect the Lyr to be the more dynamic amp, but with the T1 I just didn't find that to be the case -- there's something magical about the 600-ohm Beyerdynamic headphones from OTL tube amps.

 

So if you're looking for an amp exclusively for the T1, or maybe the T1 plus some other high-impedance headphones, I'd recommend the Valhalla.  However, the Lyr does a fine job powering the T1 as well, and it's probably a more versatile amp and will work with a wider variety of headphones.

 



Skylab reported that the soundstage of the valhalla paired with the T1 was nothing special (I'd assume) in comparison to other amps, do you feel the same way?

post #1154 of 10479

I listened to the T1s via musicman59's WA5-LE and can say the soundstage and pairing was phenomenal. This audition is what lead me to buying the T1 and choosing to pursue a Woo amp. On a budget, I think the Valhalla takes one the path toward this synergy, but even so, it is still not quite there. I feel T1s are truly special with tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytus View Post





Skylab reported that the soundstage of the valhalla paired with the T1 was nothing special (I'd assume) in comparison to other amps, do you feel the same way?



 

post #1155 of 10479

Speaking of tubes and Woo amps. does anyone use the T1 with the WA6?  If so what sort of tubes?

 

Sitting here waiting for Headphonic to restock and dispatch my pair of T1......

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread