Tubes are what I have w/Woo WA22 and never thought I'd be going there after 30 years of SS. But it sounds great. The more I read the more I wanted to try a tube amp. Life moves too fast not to try different things.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Advice needed on a DAC upgrade Last post on 9/30/12 at 5:19pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Balanced DACs $600 - $1600, the segment explodes Last post on 8/8/13 at 11:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- DAC Compare anyone? Last post on 9/16/12 at 7:57am in Dedicated Source Components
- I2S Input? Last post on 12/9/13 at 8:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- USB DAC made in USA? Last post on 9/16/12 at 2:42am in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
[[SPOILER]] Disclaimer: The CL1 were provided to me as a part of the North American Review Tour by RHA. I have been given 10 days to listen to and then write a review where I will pass them along...
SPECS: No written spec was found for the UMI-BTA9 WHERE TO BUY / COST: http://amzn.to/2h6jhkA $69.99 new ( often heavily discounted down to $25 or less ) OVERVIEW Happy...
RHA CL750 – initial impressions Reid Heath Audio are a Scotland-based manufacturer who will be familiar to iFans, with their T10i and T20i all-metal IEMs being prominently displayed in...
The new Crusher wireless from Skullcandy is a great improvement on the old Skullcrushers. The most noticeable improvement is NO EXTERNAL BATTERIES which is very important because a person can spend...
Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2? - Page 4post #46 of 13845/11/11 at 5:53amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 13845/11/11 at 9:43amQuote:
So you have the WA22? How do you like it with the DAC-2? I'm still deciding on an amp for the DAC-2/LCD-2 Combination. Years ago I had many a tube mono block and although I absolutely loved the sound of tubes they were too much of a distraction for me. Finally I went Krell SS. But still I'm have the itch for tubes and the WA22 is one of them. Funny though, when I gave up tubes I would think life moves too fast to be worrying about tubes al the time!post #48 of 13845/12/11 at 5:13amThread Starter
The WA22 sounds great with the DAC2. I think over at the Woo Audio thread their are 3 or 4 of us with this same setup. I got the tubes I like (Shuguang Treasures matched, EML 5U) and am happy with that setup rather than fret over all the tube choices. A few others have pretty much the same tube setup. I will be one of the first to get the Cavalli Liquid Fire amp in about a month. A hybrid that has excellent pre-reviews. No big worries about tube setup and you get all the SS behind it as well. A few people are calling it a game changer. You can check it out here http://cavalliaudio.com/products/liquid-fire-amp/post #49 of 13845/12/11 at 8:56pmpost #50 of 13845/13/11 at 4:15pmThread Starter
You won't need to worry about it. Just tell Alex C what kind of headphones you'll use. Mine and everyone else's is coming w/a 50 ohm resistor now. This baby will drive the LCD2's big time. Check out the 32Ohm store ALO audio. They carry the amp now (pre-order)post #51 of 13845/13/11 at 5:45pmQuote:
I just went to the site. Someone should tell them to clarify the price of the Liquid fire on their order page. It is stated at $1375 and that is the price to "add to cart". But it is somewhat unclear that the $1375 is just a partial payment of $2750.post #52 of 13845/15/11 at 9:15amThread Starterpost #53 of 13845/15/11 at 11:02am
Well my DAC-2 has 200 hours on it now and counting. Wish my LCD's would come back to me so I could really test out the DAC. Sounds great on my speaker rig. Although it sounded good right out of the box it's really changed over the 200 hours. Never heard any component change this much with a burn in.post #54 of 13845/16/11 at 11:11am
Anyone using an aftermarket USB cable with their W4S DAC-2? I'm interested in comments from DAC-2 users that have upgraded their USB cable and what improvements, if any, were achieved.post #55 of 13845/17/11 at 5:09amThread Starter
I use a Cardas Clear. It was around $100. I'm not getting into a cable discussion here so I'll just say it is well worth it and I wouldn't even think about going back to a stock cable.post #56 of 13845/17/11 at 7:57amQuote:
Good to know.post #57 of 13845/17/11 at 8:51am
Has anyone compared the W4S DAC2 to a Benchmark DAC1 Pre? Both are up in the same price range, and have variable/fixed line stages with pre-amp functionality. I have the DAC1 Pre, but am curious about the W4S. I run a Squeezebox Touch into my DAC1, then I will be using that as my balanced source for an Eddie Current Balancing Act that is being delivered tomorrow The Eddie Current will be used as both a headphone amp for balanced HD800's and balanced LCD-2's, and also as a balanced pre-amp for a Krell KAV-2250 amp. So either way, I won't be needing the line stage on the Benchmark or the W4S, and I won't be needing the headphone amp in the Benchmark. I'm wondering if for my money, I could be looking at a much better DAC without paying for a line stage and a headphone amp packaged with the DAC.post #58 of 13845/17/11 at 11:06am
Thanks, I'll look into that one.
post #59 of 13845/18/11 at 6:23amThread Starter
I know Jerhico has both over at the Woo thread. The Bench isn't Asynch though. If you don't use computer audio look at the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. A better DAC w/o line stage at the same price........don't think so. You need to make the next jump to a Weiss DAC or Wavelength and then you're talking $3-5K.Quote:Originally Posted by nspindel
Has anyone compared the W4S DAC2 to a Benchmark DAC1 Pre? Both are up in the same price range, and have variable/fixed line stages with pre-amp functionality. I have the DAC1 Pre, but am curious about the W4S. I run a Squeezebox Touch into my DAC1, then I will be using that as my balanced source for an Eddie Current Balancing Act that is being delivered tomorrow The Eddie Current will be used as both a headphone amp for balanced HD800's and balanced LCD-2's, and also as a balanced pre-amp for a Krell KAV-2250 amp. So either way, I won't be needing the line stage on the Benchmark or the W4S, and I won't be needing the headphone amp in the Benchmark. I'm wondering if for my money, I could be looking at a much better DAC without paying for a line stage and a headphone amp packaged with the DAC.
- Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Lets Talk Metal 17 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 37 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 38 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 2 minutes ago
- › Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 3 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeaker by audiophilehe400
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Delance26
- › UMIDIGI BTA9 Sports IEM by NA Blur
- › RHA CL750 by Jackpot77
- › MEE audio - MMCX SILVER-PLATED CABLE by Zelda
- › Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphone with Mic -... by fusiondragon
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear