Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2? - Page 78

post #1156 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecva View Post

 

Thank you.  That's what I thought too.  

 

Question again for those using USB input, do you have the level as fixed or variable? 

I use the USB input and run it fixed mode, which basically plays it at the maximum level (which you can customize, I think).

post #1157 of 1348
Thanks all your help! Can't wait until the burn-in period is completed. :)
post #1158 of 1348

Happy This could take a while. I had new caps installed and had to do 300+ strong hours, before the shoe box got itself right!

post #1159 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Happy This could take a while. I had new caps installed and had to do 300+ strong hours, before the shoe box got itself right!

 

Yeah, and unfortunately for me I cannot just leave it on the entire time as I leave for work most of the day. So the real burn-in process only happens overnight. Are there disadvantages of doing the burn-in process not continuously?
post #1160 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecva View Post

 

Yeah, and unfortunately for me I cannot just leave it on the entire time as I leave for work most of the day. So the real burn-in process only happens overnight. Are there disadvantages of doing the burn-in process not continuously?

 

Personally, in my view, I'd rather have interruptions. Thus, allowing different parts to heat up and cool down during normal operation. I prefer to just play my way through and note the experience. As opposed to running it 24/7.

 

However, I see no disadvantage to using it like it was intended. 

post #1161 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Personally, in my view, I'd rather have interruptions. Thus, allowing different parts to heat up and cool down during normal operation. I prefer to just play my way through and note the experience. As opposed to running it 24/7.

 

However, I see no disadvantage to using it like it was intended. 

 

Thank you. Very helpful. This is a truly nice DAC.
post #1162 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Isn't DSD a dead format like SACD?


Did you have a marantz sa8004 before? i thought i saw it in your profile not too long ago but maybe i am mistaken. i ask because i have a chance to buy the sa7001 for 225 euro which is a steal. im on the fench as to whether i should go for it or not. even if i was not playing sacd it would still be a good source right?
 

post #1163 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Isn't DSD a dead format like SACD?

DSD is an encoding, not a format. SACD is a physical format that uses DSD encoding. Traditionally, music is encoded using PCM (CDs, mp3s, flacs, etc). It is claimed that DSD to analog conversion sounds better than PCM to analog (I have not had a chance to listen via a DSD capable DAC). That's why DSD capable DACs have started showing up. There are tools to convert PCM files to DSD. 

post #1164 of 1348

Ultimately, the upgrades to the power supply and the USB are more interesting to me than the DSD capabilities...

post #1165 of 1348

:thumb: I'm with longbowbbs!

post #1166 of 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post

DSD is an encoding, not a format. SACD is a physical format that uses DSD encoding. Traditionally, music is encoded using PCM (CDs, mp3s, flacs, etc). It is claimed that DSD to analog conversion sounds better than PCM to analog (I have not had a chance to listen via a DSD capable DAC). That's why DSD capable DACs have started showing up. There are tools to convert PCM files to DSD. 

 

 

What are these tools other than the PS3?

post #1167 of 1348

The role of the PS3 is to extract the DSD files from the SACD disc. Not convert PCM to DSD. Which moves me to ask confused.gif what would be the motivation to convert PCM to DSD? 

post #1168 of 1348

O  blink.gif

 

Thank you ole Silent One..

post #1169 of 1348

Could very well be a sound reason why someone would want to (no pun intended). And if so, I want some of that action, too! ksc75smile.gif 

post #1170 of 1348

Just got my DAC2 fully upgraded and have it running in a temporary system with a Parasound Z-amp and Totem speakers on my desktop. Sounds really, really good via USB from a Macbook Pro with Audivana.

 

Agreed that DSD isn't of much interest. I got burned a while back upgrading to an expensive Arcam universal disk player and then ending up with less than 20 SACDs I liked... Once bitten, twice shy. 


Edited by gregeas - 6/17/13 at 1:37pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?