Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Heavy Grado Modding Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Heavy Grado Modding Project - Page 3

post #31 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by chippechanga View Post

 




 

 

you know, some people would actually pay some serious money for this kind of works...


Well I cant say i haven't thought about it. Maybe if i get over five orders it could be something.....

post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippechanga View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by chippechanga View Post

 




 

 

you know, some people would actually pay some serious money for this kind of works...


Well I cant say i haven't thought about it. Maybe if i get over five orders it could be something.....


and how much would they cost?

post #33 of 81

Absolutely brilliant mod!

post #34 of 81
Thread Starter 

Pm me if you are interested in buying "the structure".

1000x500px-LL-e41a9666_IMG_2729.jpg

Witch means the piece showen above.

post #35 of 81

Fantastic work. But how wide are the headbands? In order to be comfortable, they'd have to be wide enough to have the HD25 paddings stuck on?

post #36 of 81
Thread Starter 

Actually i have tried adding pads but they look better without, and because of the double headband they are more comfortable than any padded headphones I've tried before.

post #37 of 81

I guess logically - the portapro headband comfort is fine and that's just one metal band so I suppose it would be fine, I didn't think of that.

 

Anyway, it's a really fantastic piece of work, congratulations. smile.gif

post #38 of 81

Wow, that looks really slick! I'd be scrambling to give you my wallet if I were more interested in Grado's sound sig. Good work.

 

By the way, how come Grado phones attract so many more DIY guys than other phones seem to? I know people mod other headphones, but for the most part those mods just consist of recabling, new earpads/headbands, and new wood housings, but with Grados it'd probably be easier to compile a list of mods that HAVEN'T been done.  biggrin.gif

post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by loremipsum View Post

Wow, that looks really slick! I'd be scrambling to give you my wallet if I were more interested in Grado's sound sig. Good work.

 

By the way, how come Grado phones attract so many more DIY guys than other phones seem to? I know people mod other headphones, but for the most part those mods just consist of recabling, new earpads/headbands, and new wood housings, but with Grados it'd probably be easier to compile a list of mods that HAVEN'T been done.  biggrin.gif

 

Grados are very functionally simple and are easy to take apart. The design has been around for a very long time, and many people have posted about how to take them apart, do some mods, etc etc. This becomes a snowball effect with people piggybacking off of other people's efforts (like Kramer and bilavideo).
 

post #40 of 81

Those look great.  Good work.

post #41 of 81

 

Amazing modifications! I would love to do something similar to my sr125's but this is my first time for everything, including soldering so I was wondering could you give me some advice.

 

I would like to replace the grill, sand the housing, and replace the wiring just like yours but Im a bit confused about the process.

 

First, I'm trying to get the grill out but im having difficulty. When you pushed your grills out, was there extra grill plastic left over on the interior and if so, how did you remove it.

 

Also, what type of grill did you use.

 

Could you point me to what sand paper you used, im not sure what you meant when you said "60 and ended with 1200"

 

Sorry for all these questions!

 

 

Best regards

-Phillip

post #42 of 81
Thread Starter 

First of all if you're new to grado mods you should look through these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/119314/post-your-grado-mods

 

About the grills.

I heated them up with a hairdryer before i removed them. This melted the glue so there weren't any plastic left after the removal. If you already have removed them, and there's still plastic left, you could try to warm them up again and remove the remaining bits, or you could use a dremel or something similar.

 

You should use some wire mesh made of stainless steel. If you live in europe I know a great website that sells it: http://www.inoxia.co.uk/rw/category/9.aspx If you live in America there's plenty of websites that sells it, just google "wire mesh"

 

About the sandpaper. 

By writing 60 to 1200 I mean the sandpaper the grit number of the sandpaper i started with, and the one i finished with.

 

Thank you for your questions it's only fun to answer them. L3000.gif

 

Happy listening

Chippechanga

post #43 of 81

I don't see the purpose of this thread when theres 2 grado mod threads already.

 

On a side note, love what you did with the collapsible structure but I'll never be able to afford your price for it.


Edited by Saintkeat - 4/22/11 at 9:59am
post #44 of 81

Did you sand the housing by hand? also, what type of glue did you use to stick the mesh on the cans. 

 

Much appreciated!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippechanga View Post

First of all if you're new to grado mods you should look through these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/119314/post-your-grado-mods

 

About the grills.

I heated them up with a hairdryer before i removed them. This melted the glue so there weren't any plastic left after the removal. If you already have removed them, and there's still plastic left, you could try to warm them up again and remove the remaining bits, or you could use a dremel or something similar.

 

You should use some wire mesh made of stainless steel. If you live in europe I know a great website that sells it: http://www.inoxia.co.uk/rw/category/9.aspx If you live in America there's plenty of websites that sells it, just google "wire mesh"

 

About the sandpaper. 

By writing 60 to 1200 I mean the sandpaper the grit number of the sandpaper i started with, and the one i finished with.

 

Thank you for your questions it's only fun to answer them. L3000.gif

 

Happy listening

Chippechanga



 

post #45 of 81

I forgot to add, did you polish the housing at the very end?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Heavy Grado Modding Project