I am the proud new owner of some HD800's and would like to find an amp (or combination of all factors) that works well with these headphones.
I'd really like to limit the input in this thread to current HD800 owner who are truly satisfied with their setup. Not simply satisfied in the sense of it sounding "good enough". I mean you have a system that you will likely never upgrade, you have some longevity with your setup, and you love it.
Reason I want this thread to be very specific, is that when researching "opinion" on this forum, there is an awful lot of strong opinion on things from people who love an item this week, this month.....next week its been sold. It amazes me how often this happens. If you really look through older threads, you will see what I mean. People's signatures no longer match the gear that once was the absolute best thing EVER, just last month or a year ago even, now it no longer is??
So if you really love your setup with your HD800's, I'd like to know the answer to a few questions:
1) What is your source material, lossless digital files, CD's and or vinyl?
2) What is your source, a CD player, a PC etc.?
2) What is you DAC?
3) What is your AMP and how long have you had it?
4) What AMP or AMPS have you tried with the HD800's that you did not like?
My answers to the above:
1) Source is a Sonos, 100% lossless Flac Files
2) Beresford Caiman Dac, heavily modified
3) Burson HA-160 AMP, 1 month
4) The HA-160 is the only AMP I have ever owned. It's a fine sounding AMP.
My setup sounds good but I don't have the same sense of satisfaction that I have with my B&W 703's speakers and Rotel pre amp and amp, my only point of reference for satisfaction.
The sounds appears veiled slightly in my current headphone setup. Would I get closer to what I am looking for with a tube amp or something else?"
What I after, a timeless setup, regardless of cost, either high or low, one that really has been proven to work.
Any help would be appreciated!
Edited by fmzip - 8/21/10 at 8:55pm