I second that. Especially with the balanced portables. The ones that have come out lately(from what I've read) make it possible to properly drive almost any full size can. Even the very difficult to drive orthos. I even read one poster commenting the ibasso even drove the k1000s to decent levels.
Related Forum Threads
- PopPulse headphone amp? Last post on 9/28/10 at 4:05am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Balanced ipod lod for Toucan? Last post on 8/15/11 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Protector vs. Toucan Last post on 9/13/10 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Help me to decide Last post on 9/2/10 at 6:27pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso Toucan or should I go full-size? Last post on 9/29/10 at 7:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The Shure SE215 is the first IEM I owned and was the one that brought me in head-fi. I got mine for around $95 at the time after reading some reviews online here and there. Since then, I've learned...
The overall sound is similar to the Audeze LCD-2F - slightly on the warm side of neutral, but without the ultimate resolution the LCD-2F has. And easier to drive so you can plug them into your...
I have covered Tube Amp’s portable amps in the past (here and here). While the company is called ‘Tube Amp’, they don’t limit themselves to only tube amp, but also discrete amp. The LF-15 however...
So, first off, I must say that for 200 dollars (or 170, in my case, for a unit that was previously a store-display model), you CANNOT go wrong with this superb little DAP. The soundstage and...
I bought a pair of these for a real steal (used, for 70 bucks, on Amazon) earlier this month and I am LOVING them more than almost any other purchase I've made in my life. They sound amazing. ....
- Headphone Impedance
is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701? - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The Leckerton UHA-6S did a pretty stinking good job. Not the best I've ever heard, but still quite good. I could totally see someone using it as a desktop amp, despite it technically being portable.
For another $120 you could get the Meier corda Stepdance. Lorenz is pleased with it powering his 701's!
Scroll down to post 287!
I am sending you a PM as well!
I was thinking of the iBasso Toucan, which seems to be a bit warmer and more bassy (the main thing you need to balance the k70x perfectly, IMO), and is 229$...Actually at first I was also thinking about the Fiio E7 (40$ plus shipping on ebay), but I don't think it could do a very good job, even though some reviews say so
I believe there is an old HeadRoom vide with their BitHead driving 7 AKG701s all at once. I know my BitHead can dang near turn my DT990s into speakers!
Just keep in mind, no matter how LOUD a portable amp can drive the K701, a good home amp can almost always drive it better. Another possibilty for you is the Fischer Audio Mystify.
I'm still skeptical about something as small as the P4 driving the K701 and its ilk to its full potential, but I havent heard it. I only know that my D4, at the time considered a reasonably powerful portable amp, just didnt have the cojones needed to drive my K601 properly. As previously mentioned, its not about volume - its about how much air your amp can inject between each note in your music. If something as small as the P4 can achieve that, its truly an engineering marvel.
^^ The older D4 and my Ibasso P3+ could do maximum 250 mW @ 32 ohms which is nothing when trying to drive a headphone like the K701. The newer P4 can do 1000 mW with the right combination of OPAMPs and Buffers which is far more than what the older P3+ and D4 could do.
And that, right there, is where we get ourselves into trouble. I dont think I have read a single thread on Head-F* which adequately explains why the HD70* is so hard to drive to its *optimum* level - you can quote all kinds of figures for various phones (my favourite being that all Grados have an impedance of 32 ohms, so who need a headphone amp, right ?) - none of it means anything until you get the 'right' amp. It may well be the P4 - I dont know - but its about more than impedance/sensitivity curves and HeadRoom graphs : if nothing else, the sheer size of the cans on the high-end AKGs is enormous.
- is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 25 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 43 seconds ago
- › Wells Audio - Headtrip amp 45 seconds ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 1 minute ago
- › Looking for in-ear headphones for 50$ (rock, hip-hop & some... 1 minute ago
- › U.S. & CANADA REVIEW TOUR: Calyx PaT Portable DAC/Amp 1 minute ago
- › what is the best portable music player to have? 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › New headphone amplifier from Bryston 3 minutes ago
- › Good headphone recommendations? 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3