I second that. Especially with the balanced portables. The ones that have come out lately(from what I've read) make it possible to properly drive almost any full size can. Even the very difficult to drive orthos. I even read one poster commenting the ibasso even drove the k1000s to decent levels.
Related Forum Threads
- PopPulse headphone amp? Last post on 9/28/10 at 4:05am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Balanced ipod lod for Toucan? Last post on 8/15/11 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Protector vs. Toucan Last post on 9/13/10 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Help me to decide Last post on 9/2/10 at 6:27pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso Toucan or should I go full-size? Last post on 9/29/10 at 7:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Headphone Impedance
is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
For another $120 you could get the Meier corda Stepdance. Lorenz is pleased with it powering his 701's!
Scroll down to post 287!
I am sending you a PM as well!
I was thinking of the iBasso Toucan, which seems to be a bit warmer and more bassy (the main thing you need to balance the k70x perfectly, IMO), and is 229$...Actually at first I was also thinking about the Fiio E7 (40$ plus shipping on ebay), but I don't think it could do a very good job, even though some reviews say so
I believe there is an old HeadRoom vide with their BitHead driving 7 AKG701s all at once. I know my BitHead can dang near turn my DT990s into speakers!
Just keep in mind, no matter how LOUD a portable amp can drive the K701, a good home amp can almost always drive it better. Another possibilty for you is the Fischer Audio Mystify.
I'm still skeptical about something as small as the P4 driving the K701 and its ilk to its full potential, but I havent heard it. I only know that my D4, at the time considered a reasonably powerful portable amp, just didnt have the cojones needed to drive my K601 properly. As previously mentioned, its not about volume - its about how much air your amp can inject between each note in your music. If something as small as the P4 can achieve that, its truly an engineering marvel.
^^ The older D4 and my Ibasso P3+ could do maximum 250 mW @ 32 ohms which is nothing when trying to drive a headphone like the K701. The newer P4 can do 1000 mW with the right combination of OPAMPs and Buffers which is far more than what the older P3+ and D4 could do.
And that, right there, is where we get ourselves into trouble. I dont think I have read a single thread on Head-F* which adequately explains why the HD70* is so hard to drive to its *optimum* level - you can quote all kinds of figures for various phones (my favourite being that all Grados have an impedance of 32 ohms, so who need a headphone amp, right ?) - none of it means anything until you get the 'right' amp. It may well be the P4 - I dont know - but its about more than impedance/sensitivity curves and HeadRoom graphs : if nothing else, the sheer size of the cans on the high-end AKGs is enormous.
- is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701?
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 1 minute ago
- › Need help on a predicament! 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 2 minutes ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Best IEM for EDM, Dubstep, House, Hip-Hop, and Rap 3 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 with 128GB 3 minutes ago
- › Buying a new headphone for ≈ 600$ ? ( Mainly Alpha dog VS ZMF... 3 minutes ago
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)