I second that. Especially with the balanced portables. The ones that have come out lately(from what I've read) make it possible to properly drive almost any full size can. Even the very difficult to drive orthos. I even read one poster commenting the ibasso even drove the k1000s to decent levels.
Related Forum Threads
- PopPulse headphone amp? Last post on 9/28/10 at 4:05am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Balanced ipod lod for Toucan? Last post on 8/15/11 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Protector vs. Toucan Last post on 9/13/10 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Help me to decide Last post on 9/2/10 at 6:27pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso Toucan or should I go full-size? Last post on 9/29/10 at 7:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
My privileged Yulong adventure started several years ago with the highly regarded D100. At the time I owned the $2500usd Antelope zodiac+ so it really was just a bit of fun to see what all the hype...
Review to come when i have some time. Bottom line is, if you can pick these up on sale, they are a good buy for what they are. They are fairly comfortable, have ample bass which sadly lacks a...
Okay, these are my thoughts after a few hours. I recognize that's it's only been a few hours, but my opinion rarely changes with additional time. Initial Impressions: As has been...
I recently parted with my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 DJ Headphones and decided to move into something new. I had heard a lot about the Sennheiser HD 8 DJ and had a chance to own a pair for a Discount...
To be able to value my review I think it is important to mention some things about my preferences and experience with audio equipment and writing reviews. This is my first review for audio gear and...
- Headphone Impedance
is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Leckerton UHA-6S did a pretty stinking good job. Not the best I've ever heard, but still quite good. I could totally see someone using it as a desktop amp, despite it technically being portable.
For another $120 you could get the Meier corda Stepdance. Lorenz is pleased with it powering his 701's!
Scroll down to post 287!
I am sending you a PM as well!
I was thinking of the iBasso Toucan, which seems to be a bit warmer and more bassy (the main thing you need to balance the k70x perfectly, IMO), and is 229$...Actually at first I was also thinking about the Fiio E7 (40$ plus shipping on ebay), but I don't think it could do a very good job, even though some reviews say so
I believe there is an old HeadRoom vide with their BitHead driving 7 AKG701s all at once. I know my BitHead can dang near turn my DT990s into speakers!
Just keep in mind, no matter how LOUD a portable amp can drive the K701, a good home amp can almost always drive it better. Another possibilty for you is the Fischer Audio Mystify.
I'm still skeptical about something as small as the P4 driving the K701 and its ilk to its full potential, but I havent heard it. I only know that my D4, at the time considered a reasonably powerful portable amp, just didnt have the cojones needed to drive my K601 properly. As previously mentioned, its not about volume - its about how much air your amp can inject between each note in your music. If something as small as the P4 can achieve that, its truly an engineering marvel.
^^ The older D4 and my Ibasso P3+ could do maximum 250 mW @ 32 ohms which is nothing when trying to drive a headphone like the K701. The newer P4 can do 1000 mW with the right combination of OPAMPs and Buffers which is far more than what the older P3+ and D4 could do.
And that, right there, is where we get ourselves into trouble. I dont think I have read a single thread on Head-F* which adequately explains why the HD70* is so hard to drive to its *optimum* level - you can quote all kinds of figures for various phones (my favourite being that all Grados have an impedance of 32 ohms, so who need a headphone amp, right ?) - none of it means anything until you get the 'right' amp. It may well be the P4 - I dont know - but its about more than impedance/sensitivity curves and HeadRoom graphs : if nothing else, the sheer size of the cans on the high-end AKGs is enormous.
- is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701?
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X3 beta firmware 3.00EX available for download. Added beta... 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 5 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Hi to all 7 minutes ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 8 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 8 minutes ago
- › Yulong Audio D200 32bit 384khz DSD DAC by customNuts
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by MattTCG
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by DJPhiltheThrill
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Cachicamo
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by kman1211
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by TrollDragon
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kman1211
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by MarcadoStalker7
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by gopats1479
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)