I second that. Especially with the balanced portables. The ones that have come out lately(from what I've read) make it possible to properly drive almost any full size can. Even the very difficult to drive orthos. I even read one poster commenting the ibasso even drove the k1000s to decent levels.
Related Forum Threads
- PopPulse headphone amp? Last post on 9/28/10 at 4:05am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Balanced ipod lod for Toucan? Last post on 8/15/11 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Protector vs. Toucan Last post on 9/13/10 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Help me to decide Last post on 9/2/10 at 6:27pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso Toucan or should I go full-size? Last post on 9/29/10 at 7:06pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The main selling point of this DAP is its size. Operation is straightforward, and small screen is better than none. Sound signature is likeable, detailed enough and musical enough. It uses RKnanoC...
I realize this is ancient news in 2014 but I recently rediscovered my iAudio7 and am loving it. It sounds remarkably good for a "fun"-signatured DAP and holy mackerel, the battery life is...
So I want to start off by stating that is this is my first real review of any headphone on this website. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of you imagination! I will try to best explain what my...
As an amateur hi-fi enthusiast I'm certainly no head-fi expert, but that won't stop me from saying that the Shure SRH840 professional monitoring headphones are a sweet sounding set of cans. I...
If you’re in the market for audiophile-grade headphones, you’ve probably heard of Germany’s professional audio electronics manufacturer Beyerdynamic. In the business of handcrafting premium...
- Headphone Impedance
is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701? - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The Leckerton UHA-6S did a pretty stinking good job. Not the best I've ever heard, but still quite good. I could totally see someone using it as a desktop amp, despite it technically being portable.
For another $120 you could get the Meier corda Stepdance. Lorenz is pleased with it powering his 701's!
Scroll down to post 287!
I am sending you a PM as well!
I was thinking of the iBasso Toucan, which seems to be a bit warmer and more bassy (the main thing you need to balance the k70x perfectly, IMO), and is 229$...Actually at first I was also thinking about the Fiio E7 (40$ plus shipping on ebay), but I don't think it could do a very good job, even though some reviews say so
I believe there is an old HeadRoom vide with their BitHead driving 7 AKG701s all at once. I know my BitHead can dang near turn my DT990s into speakers!
Just keep in mind, no matter how LOUD a portable amp can drive the K701, a good home amp can almost always drive it better. Another possibilty for you is the Fischer Audio Mystify.
I'm still skeptical about something as small as the P4 driving the K701 and its ilk to its full potential, but I havent heard it. I only know that my D4, at the time considered a reasonably powerful portable amp, just didnt have the cojones needed to drive my K601 properly. As previously mentioned, its not about volume - its about how much air your amp can inject between each note in your music. If something as small as the P4 can achieve that, its truly an engineering marvel.
^^ The older D4 and my Ibasso P3+ could do maximum 250 mW @ 32 ohms which is nothing when trying to drive a headphone like the K701. The newer P4 can do 1000 mW with the right combination of OPAMPs and Buffers which is far more than what the older P3+ and D4 could do.
And that, right there, is where we get ourselves into trouble. I dont think I have read a single thread on Head-F* which adequately explains why the HD70* is so hard to drive to its *optimum* level - you can quote all kinds of figures for various phones (my favourite being that all Grados have an impedance of 32 ohms, so who need a headphone amp, right ?) - none of it means anything until you get the 'right' amp. It may well be the P4 - I dont know - but its about more than impedance/sensitivity curves and HeadRoom graphs : if nothing else, the sheer size of the cans on the high-end AKGs is enormous.
- is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 7 seconds ago
- › Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp 39 seconds ago
- › Tidal lossless listening test, what's going on here? 1 minute ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › What is your favorite Japanese songs ? 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 4 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 5 minutes ago
- › Just bought a new sound card (Phoebus) and am not sure about my buy 5 minutes ago
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)