or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 58  

post #856 of 5003

I wouldn't call those zip ties a strain relief... if anything, it's a stress concentration point. It's certainly a cheap and effective method of holding the wires in place, but a simple sleeve compressed into the cup slot would work just as well and be less damaging to the wires.

post #857 of 5003

Still working on sourcing mahogany. Found one place that will sell me 5/4" by 6" decking (already stained) for $3 a foot. That is my best deal so far. Other place will sell 5/4" by 8" for $8/ft but I would have to buy 4 feet, way more than I need. I do have a friend whose father is a woodworkermaking custom cabinets looking for any scraps he might have.

 

I am going after work to buy some better quality hole saws (2.5"OD and 2"OD). The better hole saws along with using a drill press to keep things perpendicular should boost my quality by a good amount. I wish I had my own press, but will likely be using one at my friends shop. While there, I might be investigating the posiblity of making some nice aluminum cups with a lathe, especially because his father works with aluminum and usually has tons of scraps around.

 

I still need to suck it up and buy grill material too. Staples is my best shot but its pain paying $10 for a letter tray I am just going to butcher. Walmart has great ones, however the wire isn't flat, it has indentations around it to make it more decorative.

post #858 of 5003

Just check out your local dollar store. They have all sorts of wonderous things to cut up into grado parts tongue.gif

post #859 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclein View Post

I read a post on another forum where the guy recabled his and took those zip ties and pulled them real tight and snipped them placing the tie right behind the cup opening to hold the cord from being pulled out...follow me, I thought it was brilliant!!!!


I would suggest leaving the zip ties on ,tighten them a little and then put a dab of  hot melt glue on them.I have caught my cable on the chair several times,forgetting they were on,that old hot melt keeps hanging on.

post #860 of 5003

+1 on the dollar store, this is where I got my mesh... A bathroom garbage bin for a big 1$, enough to make cups for 20 people 

 

I'm still trying to find some pieces of Dynamat to damp the back of the magnet so if anyone has some and is willing to ship to Canada, maybe we could trade off for some mesh... just a thought, drop me a PM.

 

gs1000.gif

post #861 of 5003

The one advantage of being over 60,is that you don't need Dynamat inside your phones,These days it feels as if it is already fitted inside my ear drums.Still,,on the plus side,,SR325i's sound MELLOW.biggrin.gif

post #862 of 5003

Good call on the dollar store. I might need to try that, there are a ton of them around. Actually one right where I am going to get a hair cut after work. Will try that out, thanks for the suggestion.

post #863 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post

The one advantage of being over 60,is that you don't need Dynamat inside your phones,These days it feels as if it is already fitted inside my ear drums.Still,,on the plus side,,SR325i's sound MELLOW.biggrin.gif



I'm intrigued... how does one go about acquiring these bio-mods? tongue.gif

post #864 of 5003

I just got done desoldering the stock wires, fishing them through the pre-drilled Cocobolo holes, resoldering the wires with my trusty Weller soldering gun, shimming the Cocobolo cups, and putting them back on the forks.  I can't believe the sound!  I am very pleased to say the least, I love my Triple Fi 10's, and I am just as thrilled with the sound as I am with them.  My wife was looking at me asking why I was smiling so much, and I gave her a listen she was amazed at the sound quality.  This will definately hold me over til I feel like recabling these which shouldn't take long after I get bored on Sundays.  I'll take some pics once I get some screens on there.  

 

Thinking about possibly gluing the forks to cups I pushed the pins out so they would fit, now they slide a bit..any thoughts? 

post #865 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

I just got done desoldering the stock wires, fishing them through the pre-drilled Cocobolo holes, resoldering the wires with my trusty Weller soldering gun, shimming the Cocobolo cups, and putting them back on the forks.  I can't believe the sound!  I am very pleased to say the least, I love my Triple Fi 10's, and I am just as thrilled with the sound as I am with them.  My wife was looking at me asking why I was smiling so much, and I gave her a listen she was amazed at the sound quality.  This will definately hold me over til I feel like recabling these which shouldn't take long after I get bored on Sundays.  I'll take some pics once I get some screens on there.  

 

Thinking about possibly gluing the forks to cups I pushed the pins out so they would fit, now they slide a bit..any thoughts? 


KimChee, I'm so very happy to hear that you got the same rush I got when I switched to cocobolo.  It really is an amazing wood.  There are several ways to go with the forks.  One is to glue the cups to the forks.  Another is to use an adhesive pad that presents a non-skid surface, essentially avoiding glue and using friction instead.  A third is to go with larger rings, which I'm working on right now.  If I send you some larger rings, all you have to do is work that rod out of the old rings and work it into the new ones, which will take the rods with a little superglue and elbow grease.  Once you have the new rings, you can run the gimbals as before.

post #866 of 5003


Hello KimChee, would you please tell us what material you used to make your shims??

 

Thanks in advance, Bill.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

I just got done............ shimming the Cocobolo cups, and putting them back on the forks.  

post #867 of 5003

I'm so pumped, I'm getting wood!!!!!!   LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #868 of 5003

It seems business is going well. tongue.gif

post #869 of 5003

I seem to have a small rattle in my right cup during music with lots of bass. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? It doesn't seem to be hair, I have tried blowing in it with no effect, I am just hoping its nothing major. Its weird because it seems fairly intermittent, doesn't appear to be happening all the time.

post #870 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz View Post

I seem to have a small rattle in my right cup during music with lots of bass. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? It doesn't seem to be hair, I have tried blowing in it with no effect, I am just hoping its nothing major. Its weird because it seems fairly intermittent, doesn't appear to be happening all the time.



If you've been poking around in there make sure the speaker wires are not to close to the magnet plate as was on mine.

 

Onto the Grado's

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked