THE HUMBLE ROUGH AND TUMBLE OF MY FIRST HOMEMADE WOODIES
They say that politics and sausage are two things you don't want to see made. If so, my woodies must run a close third. To get a full shell, I created pairs of wood rings for each side, then glued them together. I can now understand why every one of my high-end Grados came with sloppy glue drips aplenty.
Like any construction site - or delivery room - the moment of birth is a drippy, disgusting, mess - but one that can be wiped with a rag and pushed further into the world.
I really like how these driver shells - plastic or not - slide right in like a hand to a glove. Johnny Cochrane said, "If it don't fit, you must acquit." But what if it fits like a pair of Bruno Maglis tracking through a rose bed?
I'll need to pull the drivers back out and sand, stain and lacquer these shells into something worth looking at. I'd also like to drill them for mono jacks so I can make the cable detachable.
Right now, my expectations are modest. I needed to know I could woody these SR60s. Clearly, it's feasible, even with a drill and a pair of hole saws. My next investment will be a vertical station, to make the cuts more precise.
All in all, I'm thrilled that I got results this decent from a few consumer tools and a few hours. The last ring was the easiest. By that point, I had made practically every mistake I could imagine anyone making.
With a little TLC, these could end up passably workable.
Edited by Bilavideo - 8/26/10 at 8:03pm