or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 43  

post #631 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65dos View Post

Tell us about the sound


So demanding. rolleyes.gif

 

Read back a couple pages if you want to read my impressions with the Jumbos.

 

Without the Jumbos, the bass has a very satisfying punch (or slam) and the highs aren't nearly as piercing without the plastic cage they were in. The detail has increased. The mids didn't change very much, which is a good thing, since I love the stock mids.

 

Anything else?

post #632 of 5003

more photo

post #633 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65dos View Post

more photo


Uh, no.

post #634 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65dos View Post

show photos of your finished grado


AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha...

 

'Finished'.

 

That would be nice, eh?


*chuckles*

 

I'm finished. Except for my cable, I have a new one coming in any day now. Have a picture.

 

photo 2 (7).JPG

 

Hopefully the Jumbos will leave my house any day now (I'm looking at you, Bill)

 

Oh, and I just finished cleaning up my desk, it no longer looks so messy.

 

Done deal, finally!  I want to compliment you on your mod.  It looks pretty cool.  What cable did you go with?

post #635 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65dos View Post

show photos of your finished grado


AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha...

 

'Finished'.

 

That would be nice, eh?


*chuckles*

 

I'm finished. Except for my cable, I have a new one coming in any day now. Have a picture.

 

photo 2 (7).JPG

 

Hopefully the Jumbos will leave my house any day now (I'm looking at you, Bill)

 

Oh, and I just finished cleaning up my desk, it no longer looks so messy.

 

Done deal, finally!  I want to compliment you on your mod.  It looks pretty cool.  What cable did you go with?


It's litz wire wrapped in a cotton sheath. It's a copy of the wire that q audio makes.

post #636 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post

It's litz wire wrapped in a cotton sheath. It's a copy of the wire that q audio makes.


Litz wire!  Q audio's version runs $350 for a decent-sized cable.  Did you find a lower-cost alternative or did you just go for it?

post #637 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post

It's litz wire wrapped in a cotton sheath. It's a copy of the wire that q audio makes.


Litz wire!  Q audio's version runs $350 for a decent-sized cable.  Did you find a lower-cost alternative or did you just go for it?


My source asked me to keep it a secret. wink_face.gif

 

BTW, I really enjoy these cans. They have a very aggressive sound that is nonfatiguing (it sounds strange, but it exists) that is perfect for the more aggressive styles of music (Metal and Rock). I just wish they were more comfortable...

 

I'm getting another pair of HD650s for those genres that aren't very aggressive.

post #638 of 5003
Thread Starter 

This stuff is getting addictive.  Today, I came home from work and made another ten shells out of mahogany.  Next to cocobolo, cutting mahogany is like cutting butter.  I cut 10 shells, then sanded, drilled and lacquered them.  The lacquer dries so quickly, I've been sneaking out to add more coats.  One of my shells fell off the table and got smeared with sawdust (Serenity now!) but it was an otherwise good day in Shellifornia.  I can't wait for the Brazilian rosewood to arrive.

post #639 of 5003

My brand new MS-1s are in the house!

...I must say, the amount of effort required to stop me from ripping them apart straight away was quite worrying. This thread is a curse upon all Grado owners.

post #640 of 5003

A boon, you mean. :D

post #641 of 5003

Not if you happen to be a pair of Grados. tongue.gif

 

I'm already fighting the temptation to punch holes in them.

post #642 of 5003

Hey Bill, what are you going to do with all the leftover rounds from your cutting?

post #643 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid View Post

Not if you happen to be a pair of Grados. tongue.gif

 

I'm already fighting the temptation to punch holes in them.

You might as well get the biro out now,you will in the end, from what i remember of them ,that is just what they need..After giving my 80i's the treatment,and enjoying the results,i went back to my 325i's last night,,ooer,they sounded a bit dull and throttled.confused.gif.After saying i was going to leave them standard,one hour later they had no grill cloth,no plastic rings in the cups,no button and four holes in the back.Just looking for some blue tack right now,but can't take them off untill Infected Mushrooms finishes.
 

post #644 of 5003

HERE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid View Post

My brand new MS-1s are in the house!

...I must say, the amount of effort required to stop me from ripping them apart straight away was quite worrying. This thread is a curse upon all Grado owners.

post #645 of 5003
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Hey Bill, what are you going to do with all the leftover rounds from your cutting?


I try to use every part of the wood, so the part of the sheet left after the cutting, as well as the wooden circles that drop out of the completed rings, are a useful resource for the next stage of things:

 

1) headband blocks with screw tighteners to prevent slipping/swinging gimbal-rod madness;

 

2) gimbal-rod toppers made of wood to add a sense of elegance and style;

 

3) wooden y-splitters; and

 

4) wooden rods to replace metal terminal covers, to add style and reduce crosstalk/interference at the terminator junction.

 

As I experiment with shell design, I make more shells than I'll end up using, some of them the equivalent of "B-stock" and some of them just surplus.  I might send them over to the classified section, but I have to be careful not to violate Headfi rules.  There's a ban on flipping, so if I do sell the extra rings, it'll be more along the lines of recouping costs of wood and lacquer rather than the attempt to make the big bucks.  There are also anti-flipping rules about selling something right after you make it.  One of these days, when I have my game down, I may join the ranks of those who have their own websites and their own business on the side, but right now, I'm more of an enthusiastic hobbyist.  I think I sell more than I buy or trade, enough to earn my wife's continuing raised eyebrow.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked