or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 328  

post #4906 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by nope-mx5 View Post





Actually, I really like how the Sapele looks :)

They both look really good though :)

 

I`m probably going to replace the cables as well, as the SR-225`s is a pain to keep untangled.

(And it`s always nice to get an even more exclusive look) :)

 

Not sure yet wich cable I`ll use, but as I understand it, "any" 24awg 4 wire cable would work.

 

-n


Well, the new 125i, 225i, 325is etc all use 8 conductor 24awg, so if you really want an upgrade, just add more paths for the signal to take this way. Silver is an option as well, both (should) improve the quality of everything. The stock cable feels flimsy IMO on the older ones to me (pre-i) but even the 60i and 80i feel like they're worth keeping there. You say the 60 is broken, so replace it regardless, but with the 225, I'd say keep it if it's an i, and if not, swap for some canare or mogami (markertek has both pretty cheap) if not "better" and customize to your liking.
post #4907 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by nope-mx5 View Post





Actually, I really like how the Sapele looks :)

They both look really good though :)

 

I`m probably going to replace the cables as well, as the SR-225`s is a pain to keep untangled.

(And it`s always nice to get an even more exclusive look) :)

 

Not sure yet wich cable I`ll use, but as I understand it, "any" 24awg 4 wire cable would work.

 

-n



Let me know if you're interested in a cable, I have pics on my profile!

 

And yes, I really disliked the garden hose that came with stock Grado headphones but they were always very durable and withstood years of me getting up with my office chair on top of it!

post #4908 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 


Marty has always been a quick responder to my questions - very professional to deal with.  I'm sorry to hear about the other delays in your other transaction, though.  Getting something shipped is not an impossible task ... well, I should say for most people.  But, as we've seen here, there are exceptions.
 

 


Apparently shipped but no tracking number...

With Bila, an item bought at the bay that was removed from listing after I paid for it (now escalated) and a couple of other things bought recently online, I've got over a grand in the wild at the moment. Maybe it's time to stop and breathe for a while ph34r.gif

 

If I had to chose between Iroko or Sapele, I think I'd chose the Iroko ones from Cabillas. The best cups I've seen on this thread though are probably the Zebrawoods, at least judging from the pics.

 

 

post #4909 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaval View Post

Apparently shipped but no tracking number...

 

 

I believe there could be issues when shipping from the U.S. to International locations - when it comes to proper tracking.  That might be the reason for no tracking number.

 


 

 

post #4910 of 5003
Did cabillas specifically tell you he was packin' yours? I ordered mine already and was hoping he'd get a run done yesterday and ship today, but he hasn't mentioned anything specifically to me...

Kojaku
post #4911 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojaku View Post

Did cabillas specifically tell you he was packin' yours? I ordered mine already and was hoping he'd get a run done yesterday and ship today, but he hasn't mentioned anything specifically to me...

Kojaku


Usually, when Cabillas ships, he sends a PM with the tracking information.  However, you have to go to the postal system of Spain and navigate your way around it in order to enter the tracking information.  Normally, if you are in the U.S., figure on about 11 days for shipping.  If in Europe, probably a few days less.  If it Asia, again, that could vary a bit, too.

 

 

 

post #4912 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post



 

I believe there could be issues when shipping from the U.S. to International locations - when it comes to proper tracking.  That might be the reason for no tracking number.

 


 

 

The package is coming from up North in Europe.

 

If you want to check for tracking numbers from Spain, navigate here: http://www.correos.es/dinamic/plantillas/Particulares.asp

  1. On the top righ, there's an input form "Localizador de Envíos"
  2. Insert tracking number as provided
  3. Press "Consultar"
     

 

 

post #4913 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

Tell ya what guys... After some more time last night and this morning. I really think I prefer my bloodwood sr80i's to the mspros. I can't really make sense of it. I think the mspros sound better when I'm A/Bing back in forth.. but the slightly more laid back sr80i's appeal more to me when I listen to half an album and then switch.. They just play with my whole library better than the mspros. (which are still great headphones, I wouldn't have a problem recommending them). 

 

It might be my source... It is known to be a more harsh source, so that could explain my willingness to lose a slight bit of detail for the smoothness that my bloodwoodies provide... I'm not sure if I should pin the difference in sound on the bigger cups, or the drivers. I don't really know short of taking apart the mspros, Which i won't be doing :)



LOL, I'm sure Stefan will appreciate you having no desire to dissect his headphones. One thing I've been womdering though if you do (just kidding) is what did Grado or Allesandro use on the back of the driver magnet. It looks like a blob of something as opposed to the black substance on my 225 magnet. Anyway I know what you mean. When I was using those phones I listened all sorts of ways. Different songs back to back to back...different albums the same way...a little A/Bing which I found somewhat difficult. Like you though when A/Bing I always sort of gave the edge to the MS Pro but in terms of actual listening enjoyment and psycho acoustic perceptions, I found my newly woodied 225 every bit as engaging. The last notes of Whipping Post from ABB's Live at the Filmore  just finished and All Night Train from Where it All Begins just started my head bobbing. Could be an ABB double header biggrin.gif

 

post #4914 of 5003

Grado1.JPG

 

Grado2.JPG

 

First attempt at a mod seems to have been successful!

 

Removed button and grill and replaced with more open screen

Dynamat on back of magnet and around the cups

Vented 4 holes

Removed grill cloth

Replaced comfies with bowls

 

These really do sound amazing now! I've actually already decided to upgrade to the 225, after all I've read about it being a "sweet spot" in the line. And thanks to the cocobolo cups that are in the mail now (a BIG thanks to kneeljung!) they should be much better. I'll post some higher quality shots of those when they're done - rather than these cell phone pics.

post #4915 of 5003
Wayne, did you say you used some Amaco Wire Form as your screens on those new shells? I saw some at Hobby Lobby today while picking up some suede to make a band (which really doesn't provide much added comfort). I believe that's the same stuff I found on Amazon but the one on Amazon was already black and slightly cheaper. If I get a larger order where I can get free shipping, I'll be getting some of that, the stuff they had at Hobby Lobby had what looked like a plastic coating on it already (aluminum doesn't rust, it doesn't really need protected, especially if it's meant for covering in clay).
post #4916 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post




Placebo :p

 

No, I really don't think so.. They sound similar, but different. The ms pros definitely have an edge on detail and that leads to them sounding more aggressive.. Which is great, I mean that is what its all about with grados. I just feel the smoother and yes, a *bit* muddier sr80i's in the large bloodwood cups make me happier on average. Both sound great. I certainly won't be fretting about upgrading my grado headphone. 
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post





LOL, I'm sure Stefan will appreciate you having no desire to dissect his headphones. One thing I've been womdering though if you do (just kidding) is what did Grado or Allesandro use on the back of the driver magnet. It looks like a blob of something as opposed to the black substance on my 225 magnet. Anyway I know what you mean. When I was using those phones I listened all sorts of ways. Different songs back to back to back...different albums the same way...a little A/Bing which I found somewhat difficult. Like you though when A/Bing I always sort of gave the edge to the MS Pro but in terms of actual listening enjoyment and psycho acoustic perceptions, I found my newly woodied 225 every bit as engaging. The last notes of Whipping Post from ABB's Live at the Filmore  just finished and All Night Train from Where it All Begins just started my head bobbing. Could be an ABB double header biggrin.gif

 


Yes, I was curious what the hell that was too. 

 

post #4917 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post

Wayne, did you say you used some Amaco Wire Form as your screens on those new shells? I saw some at Hobby Lobby today while picking up some suede to make a band (which really doesn't provide much added comfort). I believe that's the same stuff I found on Amazon but the one on Amazon was already black and slightly cheaper. If I get a larger order where I can get free shipping, I'll be getting some of that, the stuff they had at Hobby Lobby had what looked like a plastic coating on it already (aluminum doesn't rust, it doesn't really need protected, especially if it's meant for covering in clay).


I didn't find the true Amaco wire.  It was under another brand name from Michael's crafts in the modeling section.  When you hold it up, you can see a diamond pattern that it forms.  I guess one would normally position it so the diamonds would run vertically - for appearance reasons if someone were to seriously look at them.   The wire was made of aluminum, but of a heavier gauge than the regular aluminum screening that I found at the hardware store.  However, I'm quite happy with this brand that I found.  While it is a 12" x 24" piece, it's folded down into rectangular shapes so it will fit into proper packaging for hanging on the shelf.  Ironically, each rectangular section is just about perfect for making 2 headphone covers.

 

post #4918 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

No, I really don't think so.. They sound similar, but different. The ms pros definitely have an edge on detail and that leads to them sounding more aggressive.. Which is great, I mean that is what its all about with grados. I just feel the smoother and yes, a *bit* muddier sr80i's in the large bloodwood cups make me happier on average. Both sound great. I certainly won't be fretting about upgrading my grado headphone. 
 


It might be why many of us are settling on the SR-225/SR-225i for setting forth with our mods.  That driver carries the same specs as the SR-325/SR-325i.  While the "bang for the buck" award goes to the lower priced Grado and Alessandro MS-1i, I think many people might be surprised at what the SR-225/SR-225i offers - and that extra $100 up-front investment might keep one happy enough long enough to stave off the next upgrade or two desires.

 

Having both, I don't find the SR-225 to be a driver that was improved upon all that much when Grado jumped to the "i" series.  Or, at least to my ears, I don't hear any any big sweeping changes between the two models.  However, what I do notice is detail in my music - items that one would have to listen to hard on a pair of loudspeakers and still might not pick up the detail. For example, I own a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS-6 floor standing speakers being pushed with a Parasound amp.  While they are quite detailed speakers, it is sometimes the headphone listening sessions that freak me out.  I'll be listening along and pick up some detail from one of the sides of the headphone and I'll find myself turning that way and wondering where that sound came from.  Initially, I think it's someone or something to my side making the sound, then I realize it was on the music track itself.  Kind of freaky, but says a lot about how intimate headphone listening can be in how much closer you can get to your music.

 


Edited by wje - 6/28/11 at 9:47pm
post #4919 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post




I didn't find the true Amaco wire.  It was under another brand name from Michael's crafts in the modeling section.  When you hold it up, you can see a diamond pattern that it forms.  I guess one would normally position it so the diamonds would run vertically - for appearance reasons if someone were to seriously look at them.   The wire was made of aluminum, but of a heavier gauge than the regular aluminum screening that I found at the hardware store.  However, I'm quite happy with this brand that I found.  While it is a 12" x 24" piece, it's folded down into rectangular shapes so it will fit into proper packaging for hanging on the shelf.  Ironically, each rectangular section is just about perfect for making 2 headphone covers.

 


Ah, they had some of that too. That stuff looked less cheap. The Amaco was plasticy as I mentioned, the other brand was less thick looking with the clear coat. Amaco is packaged in 16" x 20" pieces, the other stuff is 12" x 24" as you said. So basically you get the same amount, it's just cut a little differently and the other brand has more folds (smaller packaging) than the Amaco.
post #4920 of 5003

once again... I'm going to say. I guess I'm going to post impressions every night, because I really want what I'm about to say be wrong... I'd love to say these 700 dollar headphones just totally blow me away, but compared to my set which could have been made for 180... (even less, I'm not counting the cable upgrade, seeing as I don't think it did anything to the sound)... It really doesn't hold up to its price. The difference is so minute, I'm about done trying to find one.. All the stuff I said about them being more detailed might carry some little sliver of truth, but its not much. I think the differences I was picking out wasn't much more than placebo. The truth is that they are really close to each other with my source and my ears aren't good enough to see too much of a difference if there is one. I find myself picking up my headphones for comfort reasons, and using the bowls with tape ( which also happen to be a deal newer). The tape does add a bit of a punch. I can say that for sure.. It's not huge, but I notice it. The difference between these two sets laying on my bed, is less than the difference with tape and without it. I'm pretty sure of this now.

 

So, I guess I'd suggest some tape around your bowls, before I'd suggest dropping 700 dollars on some mspros.. Notice how small that change is, noticeable, but small.. and consider the fact that the upgrade to the mspros is even less than that.. I really think all you gain is a bit of detail, which as WJE mentioned is already really good on headphones. would more detail be good? Sure.. but for 700 dollars and for it not being a big jump, no, not in my opinion.. Enough of my ranting

 

Happy Modding 

 

-edit-  A thought occurred to me. I think in the name of science I'm going to use only the pros for a week or so... then, I'll switch back to my bloodwoodies.. see If i feel like i'm suddenly missing something, or if i still shrug without noticing any real downgrade. also, It should be noted that I give another strong point to the sr80's because I can modify the driver without having a heart attack. I'd never think about touching the mspros except to maybe remove the driver cloth. 

 


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 6/28/11 at 10:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked