or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 322  

post #4816 of 5003

I've been doing some "behind the scenes" investigating to see if I can determine the cause for the delays in the Grado cups being shipped from Bilavideo.  About the only conclusion that I can come up with is as follows:

 

fedexupscrash.jpg

post #4817 of 5003

One of my last packages a few weeks back looked like they were on that truck.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I've been doing some "behind the scenes" investigating to see if I can determine the cause for the delays in the Grado cups being shipped from Bilavideo.  About the only conclusion that I can come up with is as follows:

 

fedexupscrash.jpg



 

post #4818 of 5003



 

I hope it help somebody to take the driver sure and easy.

The sound is more detailed than the wood total cup, but less bass and warm.

 

Greetings  from Spain.



*Jaw Drop* Those are gorgeous Cabillas!



Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I love this Internet stuff.  What else can one do at 5:00 a.m. in the morning?  Sleep?  That's for the weak.   Oh wait ... I'm heading back to sleep for a bit.  tongue.gif

 

We can sleep when we die Wayne. I'll live every minute that I can, while I can :)
 

 

On a more serious note.. I have the ms-pros. So far..... I've decided the tape mod on the pads makes more of a difference than there is between my bloodwoodies and the pros. In all seriousness, they are damn close. There might be a bit more detail on the pros and they seem a tad more aggressive, while in comparison one could call my bloodwoodies a *bit* more muddy and a tad smoother. The pros are a little bit punchier. Emphasis on how little these changes are. I'm AB'ing the headphones..   I don't notice much of a change at all unless i'm switching back and forth. Overall, I'm damn happy with my modded 80i's.

 

I need to cover up the two holes on my bloodwood cups and do some more testing, but here are the initial impressions.. I'll be posting more. Also, I actually prefer my headphones for aesthetics.. My 11 year old nephew said he thought the mspros looked a lot nicer though, so maybe its just me. I'll be leaving more impressions later tonight after I recover the holes on the 80's... They are working as a bass boost, which might be why I'm feeling the pros have more detail and punch.. My bloodwoods sound a bit muddy in comparison at the moment. Lets see if i can work on that ;-)

 

yeah, they are a tad more bassy and a bit less detailed, but smoother like I said... I'll comment more later, I must be off! :)

 

 

-edit- If you made me pick a pair to keep indefinitely and I was blind to the price tags. I'd probably kill myself in the process of deciding. The allesandros are a bit more detailed and a bit more aggressive, my 80i's a bit more laid back. Both sound great. I would have never called my bloodwoodies laid back, but they are a bit compared to the mspros :) They somehow manage to squeeze even more oomph out of these headphones.

 

Let me put it this way, I like the mspros a lot and I"m going to grab them so long as they are on my desk. But, I won't lose any sleep over wanting to purchase them given the price and the upgrade in sound. 

 

If i had both I'd grab the ms pros almost every time based on sound. I'd grab the sr80is on looks or if the recording was a bit too shrill for the allesandros. 

 

TL:DR the allesandros sound better in a more aggressive detailed sense... But is it worth 500 more dollars (which is pretty much the price difference between the two)... Not in my opinion. If i had 500 dollars to blow, sure. But, not on a college budget. I'll enjoy them while I have them and not fret too much when they are gone. 

 

Wow, that ended up being a long winded initial response.. 


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 6/27/11 at 11:29am
post #4819 of 5003

Chris, is this also a Jumbo vs Bowls contest?

 

Conforting to hear the Pro's are getting noobed out biggrin.gif

post #4820 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaval View Post

Chris, is this also a Jumbo vs Bowls contest?

 

Conforting to hear the Pro's are getting noobed out biggrin.gif



nope, bowls and bowls. I wish i had a pair of jumbos. I really can't forsee liking them over the bowls though.  

 

The pros aren't getting noobed, The pros do what they are supposed to do and they do it well. They sound great... Its just, so do my bloodwood sr80i's. Not quite as good, but they are impressing me compared to the pros. I"m quite happy.

 

btw, my nephew says his reason for liking the looks of the pros over my sr80i's is the color of the wood. I absolutely love the look of the bloodwood and the size of the cups, it really shows it off. While the mspros are going for a more understated look.. Basically my 80i's sound like the pros look and the pros sound like my 80i's look :D (and they both look nice, just a bit different)

 

oh man, these sound so nice I can't walk away. I love this hobby.


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 6/27/11 at 11:37am
post #4821 of 5003

As one of the "testers" who had the MS-Pros before Chris did, here are some of my observations:

 

  • Bass was tight and could be nicely destinguished.
  • The highs were not overwhelming.
  • The headphones had a nice, "balanced" sound to them.

 

Now, with those 3 points made, my observations and feelings nearly mirror what Chris has stated.  I never swapped out the bowl pads with a regular pair of my bowl pads - so, I used them the whole time with the tape in place.  This alone, could have added to the tightness of the bass.  However, with my Grado SR225/225i models, I don't find the highs to be overwhelming and I like the detail they provide.  I do think for someone who has complained about the highs on the Grados, they should try the MS-Pros, just to see how the sound would appeal to them.

 

Having the opportunity to test out the MS-Pros was quite an unbelievable experience.  Where else do you have the ability to test such nice headphones in your own environment, with your own components and  your own music?  Having tried them out has really changed my perspective towards upgrading.  Typically, one would keep looking further up the food chain of a product and for a desire to someday eventually upgrade.  However, my current SR225i/SR225 headphones provide 95% of the sound capability of the MS-Pros at about 1/3 the cost. 

 

This now begs the question - who are the MS-Pros really designed for?  I feel that these headphones are a good fit for someone who doesn't want to roll their sleeves up and mess with upgrading headphones as a hobby.  Also, the crowd with nice amounts of disposable income could also be the target for such headphones.

 

Personally, for me, I love the challenge of an upgrade.  I love to "fine tune" Grados and work with various cups to achieve a sound that is unique to me and one that I can appreciate.

post #4822 of 5003

Wayne put it well... Now I *really* must be off... LOL... also, I'm dangerously close to 500 posts. Also, I think I might have to put some tape on my bowls... Right after I wash them one more time (one thing I think the tape will prolly keep me from doing in the future) If the tape makes a difference, it adds a punch, not a grumble... If that makes sense. I was expecting grumble, and pleasantly surprised.


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 6/27/11 at 11:44am
post #4823 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

Wayne put it well... Now I *really* must be off... LOL... also, I'm dangerously close to 500 posts. Also, I think I might have to put some tape on my bowls... Right after I wash them one more time (one thing I think the tape will prolly keep me from doing in the future) If the tape makes a difference, it adds a punch, not a grumble... If that makes sense. I was expecting grumble, and pleasantly surprised.


Chris,

 

When I tried the tape mod to the bowl pads on my "Goldies", I used yellow electrician's tape.  When I removed the tape, some smaller pieces of foam could be seen on the tape.  If this is something you are considering doing, keep in mind that you might want to keep a dedicated pair of bowl pads with tape on them or minimize the amount of times you put the tape on and take it off.  I'm afraid that after about 10 times or so, there could be some heavy degradation to the outer edge of the foam pads.


 

 

post #4824 of 5003

When I taped my bowls, I used scotch tape first, then put electrical tape over that. The scotch tape was sticky enough to hold to the foam, but didn't pull any foam off upon removal. Then there is no risk of degrading the pads. I read this somewhere else and it worked great. This is how I would go about doing things again.

post #4825 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post




Chris,

 

When I tried the tape mod to the bowl pads on my "Goldies", I used yellow electrician's tape.  When I removed the tape, some smaller pieces of foam could be seen on the tape.  If this is something you are considering doing, keep in mind that you might want to keep a dedicated pair of bowl pads with tape on them or minimize the amount of times you put the tape on and take it off.  I'm afraid that after about 10 times or so, there could be some heavy degradation to the outer edge of the foam pads.


 

 


Try different kinds of tape. My black 3M electrical tape would probably rip big chunks out of any foam it touched, while my white Duck electrical tape barely sticks to anything.
post #4826 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I've been doing some "behind the scenes" investigating to see if I can determine the cause for the delays in the Grado cups being shipped from Bilavideo.  About the only conclusion that I can come up with is as follows:

 

fedexupscrash.jpg



-hope you dont plan to make a life as detective wje, because billa ships by USPS and that is a fedex truck biggrin.gif

post #4827 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

-hope you dont plan to make a life as detective wje, because billa ships by USPS and that is a fedex truck biggrin.gif



Umm ... Jorge, it's been a widely known fact that the USPS has a contract with FedEx to assist them with the mail deliveries.  This arrangement has been going on for a few years now.  After all, anything's possible.  wink.gif

 

News release link: http://news.van.fedex.com/node/14453

 


Edited by wje - 6/27/11 at 12:02pm
post #4828 of 5003

thanks for the suggestions guys! If I wreck this pair... my heart won't be *too* broken. They are starting to show some wear and tear, but are comfortable as all heck. Also, 500

post #4829 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Umm ... Jorge, it's been a widely known fact that the USPS has a contract with FedEx to assist them with the mail deliveries.  This arrangement has been going on for a few years now.  After all, anything's possible.  wink.gif

 

News release link: http://news.van.fedex.com/node/14453

 


Sir, I stand corrected. and will sure require your services if I ever have a lost package.

 

post #4830 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post



 



Umm ... Jorge, it's been a widely known fact that the USPS has a contract with FedEx to assist them with the mail deliveries.  This arrangement has been going on for a few years now.  After all, anything's possible.  " id="yui_3_3_0_8_130920113536215" rel="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/wink.gif">wink.gif

 

" rel="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/wink.gif">News release link: http://news.van.fedex.com/node/14453

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post




Sir, I stand corrected. and will sure require your services if I ever have a lost package.

 


All the more reason to use UPS. More expensive than USPS sure, but they charge the same as FedEx 90% of the time, and I've never had a problem with UPS as I have with USPS and DHL (and apparently FedEx as well if they're all tied together during these shipments).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked