or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 314  

post #4696 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwallman View Post

A thing I noticed with Bill is he portrayed himself as someone that will tell you want you want to hear even if its not true,. Come on he was a lawyer! When my one day turn around turned into almost two months. With every PM came promises they were in the mail the next day. He would always throw in something to lighten up the situation. I didn't care for it but I went along with it since he had my hf2 cups.

 

So I finally got something in the mail that resembled a cup and was made aware they were only prototypes. News to me. They weren't even the same shells he sent pics of two weeks prior(when they were done?) Also in the box, because of the long wait was two random shells that to me were just some crap he grabbed off the bench and threw in the box.

 

So I was not happy and he knew it. We went back and forth in pms and he wanted to redeem himself. So I gave him the chance. The next set were not any better. I went with a local guy to get my headphones back together. It cost me more money but the guy knew what he was doing.

 

So Bill saw I was unhappy and sent me a refund and demanded his shells back. Since I didn't ask for a refund, I didn't feel the need to waste my time on getting him his shells back. I also didn't appreciate how I was told to return his shells. Now they sit on my desk. One of them holds a nasty blob of dynamat I took off of a sheet.

 

I have given him feedback on the shells he sent and see none of it was used. In some of his last pictures posted of alot of shells with lacquer plastered all over them was a hint that he didn't care for the feedback.

 

I think he was always trying to come up with the next great thing and was never really good at just making decent cups. If he tried and focused on one thing at a time he could probably produce some nice work. The pine shells he showed off some time ago has some promise and I really do hope he does get his act together and get everyone what they paid for and just get back to sharing good info.

 

 

Man my cocobolo's are beautiful. Not pricey at all IMO, and contained metal mesh as well. Haven't had a problem with them at all, although he said he had dynamat in the mail and it never came. Oh well. Still don't have any on my cans
 

 

post #4697 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvins View Post



Man my cocobolo's are beautiful. Not pricey at all IMO, and contained metal mesh as well. Haven't had a problem with them at all, although he said he had dynamat in the mail and it never came. Oh well. Still don't have any on my cans
 

 

Mine are good as well, though they came chipped in the mail and I have an issue with their height. If I do recall there was a beautiful pair of zebrawoods that came up a while ago.

 

Schwallman, from your experiences I understand your gripe with Bill, however I do think you are being unnecessarily harsh and are portraying Bill in the most negative light possible. I do not disagree with a lot of what you say however it could be done in a lot more civilised, impartial manner. I too have been going through something similar; my cups took months from the time I contacted him to the time I received it, my first pair had to be altered to fit decently, my second pair I could not alter due to the way he constructed them, took months more to arrive, and my third pair (I have paid for them) are still with him/in the mail/in limbo. However I don't see the necessity of constantly attacking him when 1. he is not responding and 2. there are too many posts coming up with regards to this issue. Why not just leave it be for the meantime until (hopefully) Bill comes back to clarify? Even if he does not, no one in the thread gains from the incessant bashing of this one head-fier, I am sure from the previous posts it is quite clear how everyone's position is.

 

@WJE: Do you know if the driver can be damaged by impact? Would thumping on the back of the driver damage it irreparably? confused_face.gif


Edited by Nightslayer - 6/24/11 at 12:47am
post #4698 of 5003
Looks like I'm sitting here with your second pair styled ones Nightslayer. Impossible to fix and modify to work without buying a new hole saw and a tiny round file.
I'm really not wanting to buy either, but it seems like it would be the way to go with these.

And as far as damaging a driver by impact, I think the worst you could do is to knock the voice coil out of its seat. Easily fixed if you've fully liberated it though. If not, it's work to get it in there, through the cage, without puncturing it.
post #4699 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post

Looks like I'm sitting here with your second pair styled ones Nightslayer. Impossible to fix and modify to work without buying a new hole saw and a tiny round file.
I'm really not wanting to buy either, but it seems like it would be the way to go with these.

And as far as damaging a driver by impact, I think the worst you could do is to knock the voice coil out of its seat. Easily fixed if you've fully liberated it though. If not, it's work to get it in there, through the cage, without puncturing it.

The round file I have, its called a rat-tail and its pretty useful. The hole saw I don't though, my problem is that the shell is too tall. Normally I would saw through it and apply a new layer of varnish (as I did with the previous pair) however these were styled during the period where he was experimenting with having slip-ons which go both inside and outside the plastic wall of the driver chamber (sort of a groove which the chamber fit in instead of just fitting outside the chamber; it does affect the sound) and hence the walls are too thin/fragile. They have multiple hairline cracks and I've had to superglue a few pieces back so I don't dare go at these with a saw, rather leave them as they are.

 

As far as I can tell from the driver mechanism, isn't the coil glued to the mylar? And the mylar itself is immobile at the edges, yes? Which by extension should make the voice coil immobile along one axis (the one it shoudln't be moving in)..
 

 

post #4700 of 5003


There's a lot of unhappy people for paying for something that not only never arrives but you get the "tomorrow it´ll be in the mail" routine... every single time.

I'm not one of the unhappy. I'm one of the really pissed off for being cheated with snake oil talk and 200$ down the pipe. I asked for a refund and since then Bill hasn't replied - the "it'll be in the mail tomorrow" mantra doesn't quite work very well with that unless he sends me a check.

 

Bill is gone, even if for a short while but, until then he's exposed to any frustration vented here since he's not the one taking a loss here. Like I said before more than once, I don't think he did it on purpose, but he did cheat people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post

Schwallman, from your experiences I understand your gripe with Bill, however I do think you are being unnecessarily harsh and are portraying Bill in the most negative light possible. I do not disagree with a lot of what you say however it could be done in a lot more civilised, impartial manner. I too have been going through something similar; my cups took months from the time I contacted him to the time I received it, my first pair had to be altered to fit decently, my second pair I could not alter due to the way he constructed them, took months more to arrive, and my third pair (I have paid for them) are still with him/in the mail/in limbo. However I don't see the necessity of constantly attacking him when 1. he is not responding and 2. there are too many posts coming up with regards to this issue. Why not just leave it be for the meantime until (hopefully) Bill comes back to clarify? Even if he does not, no one in the thread gains from the incessant bashing of this one head-fier, I am sure from the previous posts it is quite clear how everyone's position is.

post #4701 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post

@WJE: Do you know if the driver can be damaged by impact? Would thumping on the back of the driver damage it irreparably? confused_face.gif


Do you mean in regards to the thumping by using a socket and a mallet to liberalize the driver?  If so, I don't suspect it's any more damaging to the driver than if one uses a small chisel or sharp screwdriver to separate the driver from the small shells because even with that method, there is some tapping.  That's why I suggested placing a cloth or towel down on a workbench before setting the cup / driver down onto it and using a rubber mallet.  I think a lot of the energy can be absorbed by the cloth and the towel as opposed to all of it going directly to the driver. 
 

 

post #4702 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaval View Post


There's a lot of unhappy people for paying for something that not only never arrives but you get the "tomorrow it´ll be in the mail" routine... every single time.

I'm not one of the unhappy. I'm one of the really pissed off for being cheated with snake oil talk and 200$ down the pipe. I asked for a refund and since then Bill hasn't replied - the "it'll be in the mail tomorrow" mantra doesn't quite work very well with that unless he sends me a check.

 

 

I saw the pain that many suffered on another forum when many people sent off money to a guy who would make custom rosewood TV and audio stands to match their rosewood speakers.  He posted lots of designs - always churning out those ideas.  He did deliver a few initial products and more people sent him money to build things for them.  Eventually, he stopped responding.  He was no longer turning out work.  Some people in the city he lived in even drove by his wood shop - to see it closed up.  He just disappeared.

 

Granted, that situation was quite extreme.  However, each time an "incident" happens, people as buyers tend to become more skittish in making purchases on-line.  The faith in an individual or company needs to be restored.  If people can see that happen, their confidence in buying off of these forums will be restored.  However, at the moment, it's kind of sad because people have their funds locked up by one person.  Not everyone is in a position to dole out more money to another person to cut some cups for them.  They need their funds back from Bill so that they can then get with a reputable cup builder and have their headphones done within the period of a few weeks.  It's as simple as that.

post #4703 of 5003

On the bright side I doubt we pay a tenth as much as people do for rosewood audio and TV stands, so at least when we get bitten its not as painful.

@xaval: I am in the same situation, I do not speak as a bystander. my point would be that enough has been said and more is quite unnecessary.

post #4704 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post

......... I do not speak as a bystander. my point would be that enough has been said and more is quite unnecessary.



Opinion duly rendered, however why not let people decide for themselves how much is "enough and necessary"?

 

post #4705 of 5003

I dont think its unnecessary. Some people, including myself,could of spoke up a few months back and saved some others from wasting time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post

On the bright side I doubt we pay a tenth as much as people do for rosewood audio and TV stands, so at least when we get bitten its not as painful.

@xaval: I am in the same situation, I do not speak as a bystander. my point would be that enough has been said and more is quite unnecessary.



 


Edited by schwallman - 6/24/11 at 7:27am
post #4706 of 5003

One more "Very Good" customer service plug from an excellent company.  I was experiencing an "odd" issue with one of my Alessandro MS-1i drivers.  I sent them an e-mail this morning and explained that the headphones were less than 2 weeks old.  I told them that I tested the cable for continuity and the cable was good - so all suspicions pointed to the driver.  They're putting a new driver in the mail for me.  Oh yeah!  I also realize how great Grado's support is - as I've commented on them in the past.  However, I feel in this situation, Grado would not have just sent a driver out to me, but would have had me send the headphones in for proper service.  Props to Alessandro for this "excellent" service!  smily_headphones1.gif


Edited by wje - 6/24/11 at 7:51am
post #4707 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwallman View Post

I dont think its unnecessary. Some people, including myself,could of spoke up a few months back and saved some others from wasting time and money.



 


Mmhmm, but you have already spoken up. Others have also spoken up. So what further effect do we achieve by adding on? I believe anyone who was considering has been sufficiently dissuaded, personal point of view. I believe everyone has pretty much made up their minds as to the extent of what's going on and the liabilities of certain peoples' characters with regards to this event. But as bill said, it's my sole opinion, feel free to contradict me. And this shall be my last post (of clarification? (: ) on this issue for fear of contradicting that which I am advocating.

 

EDIT: WJE, I just saw your post. Perhaps you might want to enlighten our fellow comrades over at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557140/grado-audeze-updated-the-grado-failed-again-3rd-time as to your experiences, if you haven't already seen the thread? (:


Edited by Nightslayer - 6/24/11 at 8:47am
post #4708 of 5003


It makes me feel better. Keep watching, I will probably complain again down the road.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post




Mmhmm, but you have already spoken up. Others have also spoken up. So what further effect do we achieve by adding on? I believe anyone who was considering has been sufficiently dissuaded, personal point of view. I believe everyone has pretty much made up their minds as to the extent of what's going on and the liabilities of certain peoples' characters with regards to this event. But as bill said, it's my sole opinion, feel free to contradict me. And this shall be my last post (of clarification? (: ) on this issue for fear of contradicting that which I am advocating.

 

EDIT: WJE, I just saw your post. Perhaps you might want to enlighten our fellow comrades over at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557140/grado-audeze-updated-the-grado-failed-again-3rd-time as to your experiences, if you haven't already seen the thread? (:



 

post #4709 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post

EDIT: WJE, I just saw your post. Perhaps you might want to enlighten our fellow comrades over at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557140/grado-audeze-updated-the-grado-failed-again-3rd-time as to your experiences, if you haven't already seen the thread? (:


Thanks for the "heads up".  I've made an appropriate post in that thread as of a few minutes ago.
 

 

post #4710 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post



The round file I have, its called a rat-tail and its pretty useful. The hole saw I don't though, my problem is that the shell is too tall. Normally I would saw through it and apply a new layer of varnish (as I did with the previous pair) however these were styled during the period where he was experimenting with having slip-ons which go both inside and outside the plastic wall of the driver chamber (sort of a groove which the chamber fit in instead of just fitting outside the chamber; it does affect the sound) and hence the walls are too thin/fragile. They have multiple hairline cracks and I've had to superglue a few pieces back so I don't dare go at these with a saw, rather leave them as they are.

 

As far as I can tell from the driver mechanism, isn't the coil glued to the mylar? And the mylar itself is immobile at the edges, yes? Which by extension should make the voice coil immobile along one axis (the one it shoudln't be moving in)..
 

 


Yep, that's the one I have. Fragile outer part is shattered near the cable notch (which it too small for my 125i cable anyway). The groove is too shallow on one, and the cable notch is too small on both. I need to deepen and enlarge it, and get some screen since Bila only sent me one respectable screen but I won't go into that since I don't want a chrome screen anyway. If I can manage to accomplish that without destroying them further, and maybe refinish them since the stuff there is thick and runny, I'll have a nice working shell and I'll be done and I'll just feel I overpaid since I had to do quite a bit on my own.

Unless of course I can work up the motivation to try cutting out my jatoba ones again to actually fit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked