or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 300  

post #4486 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz View Post

Has anyone heard from Bila lately? Still waiting for a driver from him.......


I did earlier this week when I sent him a PM.  He told me at about 4:00 PM (EST), he was heading to the post office with my box and would come back and PM me with the tracking number.  I didn't get the tracking number, yet.
 

 

post #4487 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sengoku79 View Post

Don't have a firm grip on pricing yet, have seen prices of up to €100 per block, am thinking of going around some salvage/antique places to see if they have offcuts or the like



How many woodies would ya get outta 1 block?

post #4488 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post




IMO, right now the "magic" combination would be the following.  Alessandro MS-1i headphones ($100) + find some wooden cups cut for $50 - $60.  Keep the stock cable and ear pads.  You could "quarter mod" the ear pads to open up the foam areas, if you'd like.  Also, you could open up 4 of the rear vent holes - very carefully on the rear of the drivers.  The result?  For $160.00, you'd have a pair of headphones that would shame the Grado SR-225i.

 

Of course, this is just my opionion - but, I suspect many would agree with me.
 

 


I second that! I have tried SR60s, SR80s, MS1s. I have listened to higher-end Grados, they are better than the ones mentioned before. Sure, but not that much that I would be ready to spend that much money on that little improvement.

I have vented 10 holes and have gone back to four or none, depending on what driver, what wood/wood dimensions and what pads I have used. I have also tried aluminum. Now, taking into account my personal experiences, my magic combination based on the price-performance ratio for a European is as follows:

I would go for the MS1, I would then have Cabillas send me some of his cups, partially liberate the drivers and install them on my wood cups. I would buy some L-cushions and vent two driver holes, maybe then work myself up to how many I find suiting my personal sound signature preferences. I would also use some Dynamat for the driver back and replace the stock plastic back grill with some more open metal grill. That would cost me about €160. And it would make me happy. Even more so, because I paid around €200 for my first stock SR80i. And the above mentioned modded MS1 would clearly blow that one out of the water easily.

 


Edited by stratocaster - 6/16/11 at 9:08am
post #4489 of 5003

Sourced from Irishwoods.com

 

Spalted Maple Turning block

  9086           4 x 4 x 20 inches.                 101.6 x 101.6 x 508 mm.      Air Dried      Quality               €27.00

 

Standard Walnut Board

          1''            11.41  cu ft       19  boards  7 to 17.5 inches.        6.42  to  6.50  feet.            €93.05 /cu ft

 

Couldn't tell you how many woodies you would get out of them though, may see about sourcing them from a fellow head-fier if I can get for a reasonable price

 

This guy is based in ireland

 

http://thewoodshed.ecrater.com/p/6174899/black-walnut-blocks-1-2-boards-9-x-3-8-230mm#

€20 for black walnut block!

 


Edited by Sengoku79 - 6/16/11 at 8:57am
post #4490 of 5003


That'd be a good idea!
If it was too work out, i'd probably want a pair myself!
Not for some time though..

P.S I bit the bullet and ordered the MS1is :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sengoku79 View Post

Sourced from Irishwoods.com

 

Spalted Maple Turning block

  9086           4 x 4 x 20 inches.                 101.6 x 101.6 x 508 mm.      Air Dried      Quality               €27.00

 

Standard Walnut Board

          1''            11.41  cu ft       19  boards  7 to 17.5 inches.        6.42  to  6.50  feet.            €93.05 /cu ft

 

Couldn't tell you how many woodies you would get out of them though, may see about sourcing them from a fellow head-fier if I can get for a reasonable price



 

post #4491 of 5003

Marko - see this

 

http://thewoodshed.ecrater.com/p/6174899/black-walnut-blocks-1-2-boards-9-x-3-8-230mm#

 

ps congrats on the purchase - well worth it

post #4492 of 5003


That's a nice looking wood! Bit of stain or something of the likes and it would be amazing D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sengoku79 View Post

Marko - see this

 

http://thewoodshed.ecrater.com/p/6174899/black-walnut-blocks-1-2-boards-9-x-3-8-230mm#

 

ps congrats on the purchase - well worth it



 

post #4493 of 5003

would not even stain it, just give a bit of a sand and polish with bees wax or french

post #4494 of 5003


That'd be even better!
You going to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sengoku79 View Post

would not even stain it, just give a bit of a sand and polish with bees wax or french



 

post #4495 of 5003


Why are you still waiting on something for over 2 months? Its probably not coming.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz View Post

Has anyone heard from Bila lately? Still waiting for a driver from him.......



 

post #4496 of 5003
Marko yeah probably will just not this month need to find someone with the cutting skills or a lathe.
post #4497 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwallman View Post


Why are you still waiting on something for over 2 months? Its probably not coming.
 


Hasn't been a huge deal because of how busy I have been lately, but I also haven't seen any used SR60s for sale for a reasonable price lately (likely due to this thread). Also free is a powerful motivator.

 

post #4498 of 5003


Im just saying they might not exist. Im mean all the trips hes making to the post office daily they might "be in the mail tomorrow"
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz View Post




Hasn't been a huge deal because of how busy I have been lately, but I also haven't seen any used SR60s for sale for a reasonable price lately (likely due to this thread). Also free is a powerful motivator.

 



 

post #4499 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmw View Post



On a related note, is there any proven/convenient way to make sure that the quarter modded hole is more or less (read: absolutely) centered?

sorry I'm a bit OCD when it comes to this kind of things...biggrin.gif

thought I'd have to start from somewhere with the modding to my less than one day old sr60i's, even tho boss/work is not being too kind these days
 

 


Tell ya what man.. you can get really close just using the quarter method and a xacto knife or razor.. If you take your time and make sure you cut the circle in one swipe, they will look perfect and like they came that way. Just take your time and do it right and they will look just fine.. Stay far away from using something circular and a hammer, that technique has yet to work well for me..

 

Also, you don't have to cut all the way through when you go around the quarter, just get close and concentrate more on making it a perfect circle. you can go back with the razer once you have it cut all the way through and it'll come right off. I wish you lived nearby, I'd do it for ya :)

 

Also, I personally prefer a hole bigger than a quarter. The bigger the hole, the more likely your ear is to touch the grill covering the driver and the less comfortable they are going to be. It's all personal preference, but I have mine cut out the size of the driver.. I'd consider cutting them bigger, before you make the quarter sized hole, because it will be harder to cut them a bit bigger once you already have a hole in the middle. I did it that way and my holes aren't perfect. I can't tell when they are on my head though and I stick to using bowls anymore :P

 

P.S. If you want it ABSOLUTELY centered, just measure and make sure whatever it is that you are cutting around is in the center. You should be able to do this with just a simple ruler. It will be damn close. Alternatively, if cutting the pads is going to bother you so much, just buy a pair of bowls (they are like modding the comfies to a hole the size of the driver, and then moving the driver a bit closer to your ear. Everything gets a touch more aggressive). If you don't like them I'm sure someone else would buy them off of you. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that bowls sound the best, but some people find them uncomfortable.

 


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 6/16/11 at 2:34pm
post #4500 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post




Tell ya what man.. you can get really close just using the quarter method and a xacto knife or razor.. If you take your time and make sure you cut the circle in one swipe, they will look perfect and like they came that way. Just take your time and do it right and they will look just fine.. Stay far away from using something circular and a hammer, that technique has yet to work well for me..

 

Also, you don't have to cut all the way through when you go around the quarter, just get close and concentrate more on making it a perfect circle. you can go back with the razer once you have it cut all the way through and it'll come right off. I wish you lived nearby, I'd do it for ya :)

 

Also, I personally prefer a hole bigger than a quarter. The bigger the hole, the more likely your ear is to touch the grill covering the driver and the less comfortable they are going to be. It's all personal preference, but I have mine cut out the size of the driver.. I'd consider cutting them bigger, before you make the quarter sized hole, because it will be harder to cut them a bit bigger once you already have a hole in the middle. I did it that way and my holes aren't perfect. I can't tell when they are on my head though and I stick to using bowls anymore :P

 

P.S. If you want it ABSOLUTELY centered, just measure and make sure whatever it is that you are cutting around is in the center. You should be able to do this with just a simple ruler. It will be damn close. Alternatively, if cutting the pads is going to bother you so much, just buy a pair of bowls (they are like modding the comfies to a hole the size of the driver, and then moving the driver a bit closer to your ear. Everything gets a touch more aggressive). If you don't like them I'm sure someone else would buy them off of you. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that bowls sound the best, but some people find them uncomfortable.

 

Thanks man! I might just get a dollar coin and cut around that to get a bigger hole. I also read that bowls do sound better but may not be as comfortable, was going to buy them with the headphones but decided to wait for a bit. 

Can't wait to get off work!
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked